Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
pigmentation has become darker after IPL treatment
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ChickPea

Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hello. Hope you can help my dilemma.

I had a single session of IPL in March for some mild sun damage / pigmentation on my forehead, with the intention of having further sessions this autumn/winter. Even though previously I could hide the pigmentation with light makeup it made me very self-conscious so I had the treatment.

I had the initial swelling, bruising and blotching, and after 2 weeks I had very even skin tone which I was very happy with. I stayed out of all sun for 4 weeks after treatment like they had suggested and still applied sun bloke every day afterwards even though I would spend the day in doors.

However 4 weeks ago I was spending the day outdoors, although I would like to add that 95% if the time was spent in the shade and with sun block on, however later that day I noticed some of the pigmentation had come back. In the past 2 weeks the pigmentation has become a lot darker, in fact a lot darker now than it had ever been before. I can no longer hide it with makeup. I have been religious with sun block and sitting in the shade for most of the time, but with the odd moment in the sun.

Before treatment, the one thing I did notice with the pigmentation is that it would fade in winter, but in the spring the longer hours of sun light would bring it up, even if I didn't go out in the sun. How does that work?

I also noticed in the small print in the clinic I attended that pigmentation on some skin, skin that tans easily, has the possibility to become darker. I am half italian, and although blond I tan quite easily, I go a gengle golden olive colour.
So is this the case? Have I permanently made this worse. I have only had the one treatment so far. Should I stop now as it could get a lot worse or should I have the full 3-6 treatments they suggest, with the idea that it will get better eventually? Or do I have the other treatments and never go outside in daylight again (which is what a friend does, quite literally), although I just know that is not practical as I am very much an outdoor person.

I am 38. I will be going to italy for my holiday in a few days time. Will my skin get even worse? I wear high factor sun cream on my face, I generally sit in the shade unless I go for a swim. I wear a hat or head scalf over my pigmentation when I am on the bike or go walking, and I am in doors for most of the peak midday hours. Crying or Very sad
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:18 am      Reply with quote
Did the doctor prescribe anything to keep the pigmentation off after the IPL, other than sun block?
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:40 am      Reply with quote
I can't speak directly about IPL's, but it seems to me that most "treatments" that get rid of hyperpigmentation, also leave you wide open for getting more. I could totally relate to your report about the minuscule amount of sun you got, which resulted in dark spots. I am sooooo vigilent about not getting in the sun, wearing UV protective hats, covering car windows with newspaper, slathering on sunscreen, choosing shaded trails to hike, crossing parking lots with my face looking down so no sun hits my face...yet a few minutes of exposure,and POOF! there is hyperpigmentation!! Brick wall I am also olive skin (bleached out from Retin A)...so, what I'm trying to say is, I feel your pain!

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
I have a feeling you may have to do a lot more research. Sad
Every light/laser machine emits different "wavelengths" and patterns and then the technique of the person using the machine is a factor, too. I've been researching laser treatments for discoloration, but there are so many different machines and there are as many different results as there are people. A lot of medspas use one machine - because they paid for it - on everyone, so IPL may just not be right for your skin. You might want to consult with a derm or a plastic surgeon who has access to more than one machine. There may be a better option for your skin type.

I had 2 IPL treatments a few years ago. I had no bruising, swelling or blotching. Of course, I also had minimal results after $1200. Mad
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
ChickPea wrote:

I had the initial swelling, bruising and blotching, and after 2 weeks I had very even skin tone which I was very happy with. I stayed out of all sun for 4 weeks after treatment like they had suggested and still applied sun bloke every day afterwards even though I would spend the day in doors.

Mmmm... IPL should not cause swelling and bruising. You should leave the office a little red and maybe slightly swollen but it should be gone the next day. In fact, if you do IPL and then go to your office, people shouldn't really be able to tell you did anything to yourself unless they are REALLY vigilant.

It seems to me that you might have postinflammatory hyperpigmentation due to IPL settings that were too strong for your skin. Usually, the best thing is to leave the skin alone for now and not cause further inflammation. I think most doctors treat hyperpigmentation post-IPL with hydroquinone. If it's postinflammatory hyperpigmentation, it will take months for it to go away.

Many doctors are putting the patient on hydroquinone 4-6 weeks before IPL to prevent hyperpigmentation.

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
Jax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Josee - I agree with you...I think the IPL settings were wrong. Results with all these machines are very much in the hands of the practitioner. Several women I know have had IPLs done on their lunch break with no one the wiser. They were a little pinker but nothing garish. I know if Levulan cream is used along with IPL, there would be more burn-effect, but bruising?
Angy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:49 am      Reply with quote
chickpea, my recommendation is to see a reputable Dermatologist before you do anything to your skin.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
In my experiences with IPL and laser treatments, it often seems that the physicians/estheticians are eager to sell procedures but aren't always thorough in follow-up care. You really have to be your own advocate and educate yourself regarding the procedures as well as the pre and post care. With both, I was never precribed anything to help with recurring hyperpigmentation or never encouraged to follow a specific skincare regimen that would sustain my results. Now, I'm learning what I should be doing if I choose the routes in the future.

Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:54 am      Reply with quote
Hi there. I have been reading some of the discussion about side effects from IPL. I bought a very cheap package and had my first IPL tratement last night. She only treated for about 5 minutes or so, and this morning I notice two very brown spolts that I don't think were there before. The practitioner told me by phone today that these are spots I already had and that they will fade in several days.
The woman owns the spa - it only opened in June - no reviews available online and is not an MD, she said she had 20 years experience with laser but she didn't look that old. She had a sign on the wall that said IPL grad in 2007. Not sure abou this. I have two treatments left but wonder if I should really go back. Will these spots fade?
Can IPL result in your skin becoming much more sensitive to light afterwards? I don't want to use sunblock for the rest of my life every time I go out in the sun.

Thanks
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |