Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
what is the best base cream to mix actives?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Angy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
I apologize if this questions was made before. I searched but couldn't find anything.

Anyhow, what would be the best base cream to mix actives
canvas from skin actives
base cream from personal formulator
ponds cold cream
any other

Thanks so much!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
The base creams from TPF + SAS are nice.. SAS also has a base 'lotion' which I use mostly and like very much..

Nix the Ponds idea pronto ... Shock

My other favorite things to mix actives into are the Juice Beauty serums... Lovely stuff I tell ya ..

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Angy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
thanks a lot Kassy_A. I'll the try the Juicy Beauty serums too.
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
resurrecting this thread!

Any other thoughts on base creams? What about CeraVe?

What actives would you add in? My major concern is to even out my skin tone and rehydrate.

Thanks in advance!
Emily Smile
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:53 am      Reply with quote
just bumping up... any thoughts?
ammoniasmith
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:34 am      Reply with quote
CeraVe is mentioned by others. I would think it would work just fine.
3rd.oculus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
If you want a very safe option, Glaxal Base is the cream used to mix up prescriptions. So it's highly unlikely to cause any bad reactions, or to react with the active in an adverse way.
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestion! I had never heard of that brand.

Since I am making a DIY cream, what's the best active/antioxidant that I can add to the base to even out pigmentation and redness and fine lines?
I am a little overwhelmed!

thanks,
Emily
3rd.oculus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Emily - I'm not heavily into DIY myself, but there's a whole sub-forum on here devoted to DIY, where I'm sure someone can help you:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks 3rdoculus!
I did not even know that sub forum existed!

3rd.oculus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
No problem, have fun Very Happy
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
erg wrote:

What actives would you add in? My major concern is to even out my skin tone and rehydrate.

Thanks in advance!
Emily Smile

Erg,
The best bet is to add more of what is already in the formula when discussing things that are already formulated (like CeraVe). I have been wanting to try this also. Another good base is from EssentialWholesale.com. It is the anti-aging serum.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:45 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
erg wrote:

Thanks in advance!
Emily Smile

Erg,
The best bet is to add more of what is already in the formula when discussing things that are already formulated (like CeraVe). I have been wanting to try this also. Another good base is from EssentialWholesale.com. It is the anti-aging serum.

In addition to the base creams from the formulating sites, CeraVe + Juice Beauty Serums make lovely bases for some actives as well. (CeraVe is awesome, I love it!) As Sis said, look for the product that already contains the main actives you have in mind, and you won't have to worry about compatibility issues. Definitely spend some time researching your actives of choice though, because then you can take advantage of those that offer a synergistic effect when combined.

Once you study a bit about ingredients and how to interpret what's actually in the *product*, you'll know exactly what to add to make your actives the optimum concentration. Also look for products that don't have a laundry list of *crappy* ingredients.

One piece of advice I'd offer to anyone just starting out with DIY is to start with no more than 2 or 3 actives that you've thoroughly researched, and just concentrate on making 1 or 2 good serums. Otherwise the tendency is to buy way too many things, and then when your package arrives you'll be overwhelmed and have no clue WTH to do with it all.. Laughing (Been there, done that, so hopefully someone can learn from my mistake.)

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A -
that is great advice. I have been reading through so many threads and you have given so much to all the members here! Thank you!!!

If I were to choose 1 active (besides C and E - which I already use in the DIY serum)... what would be the best, in your opinion? I have some fine lines, uneven skin tone. Just want to slow down the aging just like everyone else!
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
Is it okay if I used plain shea butter as a base cream?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
faeriedust wrote:

Shea Butter (like all butters) are actually oils that are solid at room temperatures so only oil soluble ingredients would work with it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
Kassy_A -
that is great advice. I have been reading through so many threads and you have given so much to all the members here! Thank you!!!

If I were to choose 1 active (besides C and E - which I already use in the DIY serum)... what would be the best, in your opinion? I have some fine lines, uneven skin tone. Just want to slow down the aging just like everyone else!

My 1st advise is to fill out the 'signature' line in your profile. Without some basic info, it's hard to suggest things that would benefit you.. Confused )

There are many things you can use for 'fine lines' and 'uneven skin tone', but I could give better suggestions, once I know your age and all of your concerns.

Off the top of my head I would encourage you to research these ingredients for anti-aging benefits in general;

- As you already are aware, A, C, + E are at the top of the list
- Oils are next for me, because the beneficial ones then work on the skin barrier with all of those great fatty acids etc..; (Jojoba, Macadamia, Avocado and a few others.
_ Niacinamide. This B vitamin is not only a great antioxidant, but will help all issues related to hyperpigmentation.
- Licorice root + Kukui Oil are also good for hyperpigmentation and melasma issues.
_ Goji berry extract when properly formulated will increase your ATP level by 20%, which in turn will increase your 'beneficial' collagen production
-Pumpkin Seed Extract will help with fine lines and wrinkles, and also increase your firmness and elasticity potential...
- Algae Extract + DMAE Bitartrate (3%) help with firming the skin. (I don't regularly use DMAE myself, but have made serums for others, who rave about the benefits.) I use it occasionally, but don't notice a difference on my already firm and unlined skin.
- Green + Wite Tea; These are wonderful free radical scavengers, but should be kept separate from acids for the best result. Yes, you can formulate them with a 'chelating' agent for use together, but why?????? Why send mixed signals to your skin when you can keep actives separated by several hours, and then reap the benefits of all...

Okee Dokee, time to make the din-din... Hope that helped ya.. Very Happy

ETA: Thank you for the kind words... I do my best to share what I've learned (the hard way), and it's the encouragement of folks just like you, that keeps me plowing on. Thanks again.. Very Happy

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
faeriedust wrote:

You wouldn't want to use it as a base cream, but you can add some to anything you wish, including water/oil formulations.. (Just nuke a TBS or so of shea till liquid in the microwave, and add it to any ready made cream or serum of your choice.)

You can also find "water soluble shea butter" here at the 'herbarie';

http://www.theherbarie.com/Shea-Butter-WS-pr-207.html

faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
Hi why is it not advisable to use shea butter as a base cream? argh I've been using it with quercetin

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
faeriedust wrote:
Hi why is it not advisable to use shea butter as a base cream? argh I've been using it with quercetin

It's fine to use if your additives are oil soluble it's water soluble that won't incorporate into pure Shea butter.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
So if my actives are water soluble and I use an oil based cream, does it only mean that it wont dissolve or the actives wont be able to penetrate my skin?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
faeriedust wrote:
So if my actives are water soluble and I use an oil based cream, does it only mean that it wont dissolve or the actives wont be able to penetrate my skin?

If you are putting a water soluble ingredient in an oil it won't be able to dissolve without water, it may mix in but it would just be suspended in the oil and not effective. You need to check on any of the suppliers sites to see what each ingredient will dissolve in. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:52 am      Reply with quote
Kassy - that is a great starting point. Thanks. Now I've got to start my researching. There are so many threads to go through and so much info on the web. When I go to sites and see a list of actives a mile long, my head spins! This helps a lot! I added info on my signature line, so if there are any more suggestions that would be great.

Thanks everyone!!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:51 am      Reply with quote
Erg - I'm so glad Kassy come on to help you. She's somewhat scarce these days which is a shame because she is a wealth of information, guidance and support. When you start reading you will see.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:54 am      Reply with quote
Sister Sweets - Yeah, I noticed that too. In just reading through old threads I have learned so much from her.
These forums are such a wealth of information.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:55 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |