Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Foundation Recommendations for 50+??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
llee35
5% products discount

Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
I am in dire need of a good foundation with a big list of needs. I need one that deflects light from aging skin and wrinkles. I need one that does not leave a cakey look and feel. I need one that smooths out the texture of skin and leaves a radiant look without that greasy shine. I need one that is not too light and not too heavy. Lots of needs. Am I asking for too much? H-e-l-p. I have read many posts on this forum and know there are some very knowledgeable people here. This is a challenge, I know. And, I know most of you are much younger than the 50+ crowd, but hey, we are a very big demographic.
babyb
5% products discount

Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
Not sure if you have a liquid or a mineral in mind, BUT I do want to suggest my new favorite and it is a mineral from Purely Cosmetics. You can go to the site by entering that name. There are two formulations to choose from and a great color selection. The item I think you might really like is the Diamond Finishing Powder, as it does smooth out the face and deflects the light...hope I said that correctly. Samples are available, so maybe try that way first.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hourglass foundation (with Matrixyl and other goodies) is great as well as their tinted moisturizer. It's sold at Sephora so you can get samples.
llee35
5% products discount

Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much. I have tried many of them but just cannot seem to get that flawless finish. That reminds me of one that I did like. Elizabeth Arden, Flawless Finish. I know the Elizabeth Arden Flawless finish concealer is supposed to be excellent. As is the Amazing Cosmetics concealer. Foundation is tricky. ;-D
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
What do you wear UNDER your makeup?

Have you tried a primer? And a liquid with a sponge can get you closer to flawless...

Do you have oily or dry skin?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
Another one is Lorac's anti-aging foundation..great coverage on this one. What I did was walk into Sephora and have them make up samples of these...then go home and play! They're all great, which one you prefer will depend on skin type and colour match.
llee35
5% products discount

Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:26 pm      Reply with quote
I have dry skin. Not dehydrated, but like the Sahara. I have never tried a primer. That would be interesting. I'd love to know more.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:48 pm      Reply with quote
With dry skin I would recommend a liquid. Powders tend to highlight the dry areas. And LOOK REALLY dry.

I use a primer from Arbonne, there are tons out there. I would go to Sephoria or a dept. store and search them out. Get some samples. They are like putting down a layer of silk. Then I would use a liquid foundation that might even be a bit creamy. Nanci at NCN makes a really nice one... order a sample CHEAP! http://www.ncnproskincare.com/easy-eye-solutions-special-offer/1076.html

Even has the light diffusing component you are looking for... I use this and LOVE it!

Use a make up sponge to apply.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
I agree about using a primer. Let your moisturiser sink in for several minutes before you apply it, and then give the primer a few minutes.

The best foundation advice I have ever heard (from Kevyn Aucoin) is to make sure it matches your skin exactly. If your skin has different tones, eg, pinker across the cheeks, get a separate foundation. Never let a SA sell you a foundation to 'correct' your skin colour.

I also think a lighter hand gives the best result. Better to get a light coverage one and build it than to get a medium or full coverage one and try to blend it down. You do not need it all over your face, just on the t-zone. If you're healthy and take good care of your skin, letting your natural skin show through is the best look you can get.

For me, a foundation brush is an absolute must. A high end one is nice but even one from the art store will work. Make sure it's Taklon, not natural hair, and keep it washed.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know whether it would provide the coverage you're wanting, although you can layer it - but I absolutely adore SK-II Airtouch Spray.

It's incredibly easy, quick and non-messy to use, and it gives a beautiful, light, natural effect. There's absolutely no exaggeration of lines or wrinkles with it, and I think it gives a youthful look.
llee35
5% products discount

Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmm, a foundation brush. I have never used one, but the makeup artist I spoke with suggested I use one. $28 seems like a good investment to me. In fact, all of the suggestions so far have been great! And, I am going to venture out into the primer field and see how that works for me. Thanks so much! What a great forum. Keep the suggestions coming. Also, would love to hear about your choices for a good, no, a great concealer. Anyone?
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:01 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum, llee35! Lots of us here are in the 50 plus age range, in fact if you search you'll find a monster thread of skincare advice for 50+.

But as to your question: I have reluctantly given up on mineral powder foundations because they do tend to emphasize fine lines. Of those I tried, I liked Jane Iredale and Laura Mercier the best. But I've now returned to liquid foundation again. I agree with the advice already given that a light hand is best for mature skin. I use Chanel Vitalumiere, which is medium to light coverage and gives me a nice glow without shininess.

I use a foundation brush to apply, but I favor a skunk brush (one like the MAC 187, though I find that MAC brushes shed too much for me). I put a pea sized drop of foundation on the back of my hand, swirl the brush head in it, then stipple lightly over my cheeks and nose first for highest coverage, then over my forehead and chin area for lesser coverage. Then, using swirling strokes of the brush, I buff the stippled foundation in. It leaves an even but very light application, and if I want more coverage, I go over the areas again.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:00 am      Reply with quote
There's good feedback on Laura Mercier's tinted moisturizer. Apparently the coverage is quite decent and it is quite natural-looking. I think you can also check that out in Sephora.
llee35
5% products discount

Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for pointing me in the direction of primers. Who knew? Where have I been??? I got my hands on two samples, Sothys Complexion Smoother (pore refining) and Clarins Instant Smooth. Both are amazing and work like magic. I am not sure yet which I like over the other, but I can say that both of them work, and work well! What a contribution to the cosmetic world. I think I will go and have a look at the posts on primers. Again, thanks!!
tessera
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:25 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
I don't know whether it would provide the coverage you're wanting, although you can layer it - but I absolutely adore SK-II Airtouch Spray.

It's incredibly easy, quick and non-messy to use, and it gives a beautiful, light, natural effect. There's absolutely no exaggeration of lines or wrinkles with it, and I think it gives a youthful look.

Majorb - I'm lemming the SK-II Airtouch foundation, but I don't want to drive 45 minutes to the nearest Saks & Bloomingdales (assuming they carry it). Is in-person color-matching essential? I wear Fairly Light in bare minerals, which is the second lightest foundation shade, and I have a yellow undertone. How did you select your color?

ETA: Also, I've heard it bonds to the moisture in the skin, but I've also heard it can be applied over mineral foundation. I'm confused. Sad

5% products discount

Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:52 am      Reply with quote
Majorb, I too wanted to purchase the SK-II foundation after reading your review so I drove the 40 minutes to Saks only to discover that this particular Saks discontinued carrying the line in January Sad I also wonder how important an in-person color match is, but I really can't tell which shade to select. In Chanel I wear Gentle Ivory and in Laura Mercier a Rose Ivory; just don't know how those translate to SK-II. Any thoughts?
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:00 am      Reply with quote
tessera & suzanne - Sorry to hear that Saks are no longer stocking it. Here in the UK, SK-II is now available exclusively in Harrods, which is very annoying - although they offer mail-order. I wish companies wouldn't do this exclusivity thing. Makes it much more difficult for people to try things.

I'm afraid I would absolutely recommend colour-matching in person. What you could do, though, is to find a reputable stockist who will provide a mail-order service to you, and explain to the SA which foundations you already use. Hopefully, they will then have a good idea as to what might suit you best.

This is probably no help at all, but my skin is very pale, with a hint of red undertones (Celtic skintone) and I wear BP-4. It's a perfect match for me and looks completely natural - can't tell it apart from my own skin colour! Perhaps that might be the right colour for you, too, suzanne?

tessera, I'm not sure which would be the best for you, given your yellow undertone. I think OP-3 is more golden, but would it be too dark, perhaps?

As for bonding to skin moisture, SK-II is unusual in that is applied AFTER face powder. Weird, eh! So I don't see any reason at all why it couldn't be applied over mineral foundation. Powder sits on your skin but doesn't suck all the moisture out and dry it up, so the skin is still moist underneath - if that makes sense. I always wear powder under mine and it works perfectly.

Any more questions I can help you with, just ask! Very Happy
leileieve
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:15 am      Reply with quote
My mum is 53 and she really enjoys the foundation from La Prairie. It has the good coverage and provide good protection to the skin. It will not make your skin dry or any uncomfortable after whole day wear. May you can try it.
Flannery
5% products discount

Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:42 am      Reply with quote
I have tried loads of foundations and think I“ve finally found a winner.

Orlane B21 Absolute Skin Recovery Smoothing Foundation is top-notch. It feels like nothing at all on the skin, but actually gives pretty good coverage. And I really look rejuvenated after putting it on - it is supposed to be like a treatment for tired, stressed skin.

The finish is matte- but never dry. I love it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
I'm absolutely loving Bobbi Brown's new Skin Foundation. It's so light it almost has no texture at all, but provides just the right amount of coverage. You can layer a bit for more. Virtually no blending required. And then if I need concealer, I use her stick makeup in the same color. Creamy and does NOT move.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:23 am      Reply with quote
Jane Iredale pure pressed is one of the few I can wear that doesn't make me look like I am wearing a mask.

Also, Aromaleigh Glissade is good - although I am less than crazy about the company in general.

BF
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:14 am      Reply with quote
I'm subscribing to this because I just can't wear mineral powders any more.

I'm playing with some clinique and lancome foundations which are ok.

I think my skin has just got so awful in the last couple of years... it's pretty disheartening.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
guapa ...sorry to hear that, I can empathize.

Surely whatever is not well with your skin, can be fixed? that's why we are all here.

BF - sending you a hug
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:23 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Jane Iredale pure pressed is one of the few I can wear that doesn't make me look like I am wearing a mask.

Also, Aromaleigh Glissade is good - although I am less than crazy about the company in general.

BF

Hi Barefootgirl,
I was wondering if you ordered your Jane Iredale online or bought it from a salon? I was thinking about ordering some, but I'm not sure if I can match my color. Thanks Smile
lilyofthevalley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:17 am      Reply with quote
HR's foundation is good, particularly for ladies over 50s.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:35 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |