Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Feeding your skin with Smoothies!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
Fruit is very different from refined sugar. Dr. Lustig, who is an ardent activist and researcher who is against fructose, even said that fruit is very different and should not be treated the same as refined sugar. Unfortunately, this part of his message is often lost.

More importantly, epidemiological studies tend to show health benefits as the portion of fruit in the diet increases, but an increase in the risk of chronic disease as the portion of refined sugar increases.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:32 pm      Reply with quote
oh, i meant to say vitamineral green or earth. i've tried spirulina and chlorella before. hopefully vitamineral green will be better.
flfl
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
How much raw greens do you guys put in your green smoothies? i bought some organic kale from whole foods (5 oz weight 142 g). i feel like it would last me 3-4 days max.

this is nutrient info for kale and spinach:

100g spinach raw
23 cals
4g carb
2g fiber
3g protein
188% vitamin A!!!
47% vitamin C
10% calcium
15% iron

100g kale raw
50 cals
1g fat
10g carb
2g fiber
3g protein
308% vitamin A!!!
200% vitamin C
14% calcium
9% iron

Does anyone worry about Vitamin A overdose/toxicity since it is fat soluble?
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
I am a big fan of green smoothies but also have Pure Planet spirulina, Vitamineral green is a fav and I just ordered Earth to try. I also use Pure Planet Barley and want to try Kamut. I am convinced green foods rejuvenate the body from the inside and reflect the goodness on the outside. After all; how can one look good outside if your putting bad fuel in the tank. I feel so good when I'm faithful with the greens.

When I make a green smoothie I tend to load them up. Lots of greens - I usually end up with 40 oz of green drink. I pack in a green (spinach, kale, or other dark green plus cucumber or organic celery), apple, blueberries, bananas, citrus or maybe a pear - depends upon what's on hand. Sometimes I add flax seed (ground up in my coffee grinder) or other things. Chia is also one of my favorites but that tends to be separate.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:26 am      Reply with quote
what does everyone do for green smoothies when traveling?
mogulicious
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:16 am      Reply with quote
flfl wrote:

Our travels take us to ski resorts where we rent condos with good blenders so even on vacation it's still a green smoothie every morning. I'm guessing many hotels would have the supplies to make one at your request.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
mogulicious wrote:
flfl wrote:

Our travels take us to ski resorts where we rent condos with good blenders so even on vacation it's still a green smoothie every morning. I'm guessing many hotels would have the supplies to make one at your request.

thanks.

anyone else?
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Does anyone worry about Vitamin A overdose/toxicity since it is fat soluble?

The "vitamin A" in greens is actually mostly beta carotene (which is converted into vitamin A in the body), which is virtually impossible to overdose on. My understanding is that it's only vitamin A, which is found in animal products like cod liver oil or in supplements, that's a problem. I've been averaging a pound of raw greens a day for years now, with no problems.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:28 am      Reply with quote
any put beets in their smoothies? also, asking the same question about traveling. what does everyone do when they travel. thanks
CherrySilver
5% products discount

Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
flfl wrote:
any put beets in their smoothies? also, asking the same question about traveling. what does everyone do when they travel. thanks

When I was on the road traveling abroad, I just picked up the smallest blender I could find and used it in my hotel room (where I'd be for a week at a time before moving on to yet another location). This worked okay, but would've been better if I had the time to pick up a small form factor blender like the Magic Bullet before I left (especially for short trips).

I ziplocked some of my green and protein powders from home -- this was a life-saver. There's usually a bowl of fresh fruit in the hotels, so I always picked from that. Greens were much harder to come by, 'cept for the overly expensive salads that I ordered from room service.

Things got much better once I got into a hotel apartment and could just leave stuff there rather than moving around. Once I found some of the local food marts, I'd pick up some fruit and vegs there.

As far as blending beets, I've had less than optimal results (I always juice them), but you can always try...

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:07 am      Reply with quote
I know some people on this thread mentioned eating 1 pound of greens daily.

How do you do it? Can you give me a few examples? Also, how much other fruit and veggies do you eat?
lawmom
5% products discount

Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:05 am      Reply with quote
1 pound sounds like an enormous amount of greens. How many salad bowls of greens is that, do you think?
Marie-Andree
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:18 am      Reply with quote
For me, eating one pound of greens in a day would be through smoothies. If someone is wondering about over-dosing on potassium, like anything, you should not blindly ingest a set amount of greens. If you start not feeling right, just diminish the amount.
Everyone is different.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
An easy way to get Greens is to use a reputable powdered source such as Vitamineral Green - TruGanic 100% hard core in terms of greens and nutrients. I've used at least a half dozen "green powders" and this is the stuff I stick with! I also add Spirulina I get from Pure Planet as well as a barley powder in the AM to start alkalinizing.
When available I blender greens and fruits and still do but best for this is in the spring-summer-fall when I can get fresh produce or even some that I've frozen from my own garden or picking ventures.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
An easy way to get Greens is to use a reputable powdered source such as Vitamineral Green - TruGanic 100% hard core in terms of greens and nutrients. I've used at least a half dozen "green powders" and this is the stuff I stick with! I also add Spirulina I get from Pure Planet as well as a barley powder in the AM to start alkalinizing.
When available I blender greens and fruits and still do but best for this is in the spring-summer-fall when I can get fresh produce or even some that I've frozen from my own garden or picking ventures.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
I tend to use a pound of greens - this includes spinach (or kale or romaine or baby greens) and maybe celery or a cucumber. The fruit varies but at least two varieties (banana and blueberries, apple and a banana, pineapple and blueberries.... and lately I throw in some citrus - always good). There's no specific recipe although I think it's supposed to be something like 60/40 fruit to greens for taste maybe.

5% products discount

Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:05 am      Reply with quote
My kids were not thrilled about the idea of eating green "goop", but I got them to eat smoothies with 20% greens/80% fruit, though, and that actually went well. They almost couldn't taste the greens.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
flfl wrote:

How do you do it? Can you give me a few examples? Also, how much other fruit and veggies do you eat?

400-500 calorie fruit smoothie with 1/2 lb spring greens or romaine, eaten twice daily.

400-500 calories might be something like

* 3 large mangos + 1-2 bananas
* 2 10 oz. bags of frozen strawberries + 1 orange + 1 banana
* 4-5 pears

etc.

I think the 1 lb per day is extreme. Most people don't do that.

Really, even just 1/4 lb will bring great benefits. From experimenting over the years, I find that if I don't get a sizeable dose of greens (> 1/3 lb), I crave salt foods and tend to overeat. But more than that, and I feel great.

Just start with a couple handfuls and slowly work your way up, but never force it. You always want to be 100% happy with what you do on an average day, otherwise you'll come to loathe it and mentally resist it. Best to be happy and satisfied with a small amount.

Smile

5% products discount

Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:31 am      Reply with quote
flfl wrote:

I don't usually have smoothies or juices whilst I'm travelling, unless I have the facilities or come across a place like Zest which makes fresh vegetable juices for £3.
I take spriulina/green powder, coconut oil, flax, tea bags and any other essentials in zip lock bags and tupperware. I also stake out the nearest market and stock up on fresh fruit and veg. Sometimes it means buying a bag of carrots and a bag of apples from a corner shop and eating them raw for most of my meals!
adelight
5% products discount

Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:35 am      Reply with quote
flfl wrote:

I think I only eat that much if I have two smoothies and a green meal (salad or tonnes of steamed greens).

If you combine them well with other fruits and veggies you won't even notice the greens. Try making a berry and banana smoothie, adding more greens each time you make it. 80g of mixed spinach, kale and lettuce is virtually undetectable when combined with a handful of berries, a banana and a squeeze of lime. I'm not sure why, but a big squeeze of lemon or lime always seems to hide the green taste.
adelight
5% products discount

Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:57 am      Reply with quote
I got a new juicer, a Philips 1861, it's amazing for how cheap it was (~£60).
I'm now juicing thing that I don't like the texture of in smoothies, like apples and carrots, and using the juice as a base for thinner smoothies. It also means I can persuade my other half to drink a cup of green/veggie juice and then eat the pulp in the form of muffins.

I don't want to waste the pulp so have been using it in sweet and savoury muffins. I'm trying to keep them as healthy (sugar free, good fats) as possible so use at most a 1:1 ratio of pulp to wholewheat flour, olive or coconut oil for moisture and the minimum sweetening using dates. My OH happily eats carrot muffins and I love ones using mixed pulp and chopped greens.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
Nope, green juice loaded with PUFA, pro inflammatory and bad for you.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
gretchen wrote:
Nope, green juice loaded with PUFA, pro inflammatory and bad for you.

Now you have got to be kidding fresh dark green vegetables are are an essential part of our diets!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Gretchen's on a roll (on other forums too I might add) dissing fish oils, PUFA's and now green tea!

Too much Dr Google methinks! Bad Grin
Indium
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:

I was just wondering if you have any thoughts on the newer version of Vitamineral Green, they changed the formulation a little bit and took out a bunch of stuff. I am wondering if it might not be as good as it used to be?? Anyone experienced with the original version and now using the current version of Vitamineral Green have any comparison thoughts?
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:53 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |