Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Feeding your skin with Smoothies!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
This is great information on Chia seeds or salba
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdXrLTCHmt8%26feature=fvw

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
I make my 'smoothies' with all veggies.. which was orginally called 'energy soup' by Ann Wigmore (sort of the Mother of raw living food..no longer alive)..she used avo, sunflower 'greens' and other green sprouts, spinach. apple and dulse (sea vegetable)

but since I am sensitive to many fruits( and avo)....I use tomatoes and cukes instead as my base (although apples are also good in this recipe) and add greens...usually spinach as a base... and then a lot of fresh cilantro, basil...maybe mint... a bit of arugula...lots of ginger and garlic ..sometimes jalapeno... or sometimes a natural kim chi(i also like a bitter taste so i may add dandelion greens..also great for the skin)

the whole thing tastes like a really good gazpacho soup...and most of my friends..and other folks.. are really attracted to it...(i'm not sure about kids though!)

i've been eating raw since 1980 and for me diet makes the biggest diff in the way my skin looks...in addition to exercise... and love.

Hi jasminerosey - I'm glad you came on and commented - hopefully you will have more to add. I think you have an attentive audience for anything you would like to share. Do you have one of the super duper juicers?

Toby - the chia or salba is an amazing nutritional powerhouse.

I hope the green smoothies do the same for me as you. I'm not looking for weight loss necessarily but if it helps with giving a boost to my workout with regards to firming anything! up I'm all for it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
I'll take the weight loss that anyone doesn't want! Shock

I do feel more energized in the last month or so. For me however, the biggy has been sleep. Seriously, one of my 4 y/o's only started sleeping through the night back in Feb or March... I can't believe how recent that is... I feel like a whole new person... and my smoothies feel like they are adding a little spunk to my step...

I can't tell you how many parents I share my smoothie recipe with... and then get phone calls about how their kids finally ate their first veges. willingly! HUGE!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
Oh my Smoothie girls....I ventured out tonight and made veggie soup with my Blentec. I put a carrot, 2 tomatoes, celery, vegit seasoning,2 cups hot water and 1/2 bullion cube. Then pressed the soup cycle button and about 60sec..later pipping hot veggie soup. Wow this is a plus for the Vitamix, Blentec, and Healthmaster because they all will make a hot soup due to the construction of the blades. I would love some veggie soup recipes.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
Toby, if you don't mind a little cooking first. You can roast, or steam just about any vege you like... add to the blender, add some chicken or vege broth, a little milk if you want it "creamier" (or you can add other "creamy" ingredients, avocado, etc!, and a bit of salt and pepper... I can eat a pound of broccoli in ONE sitting by making it into soup... YUM! My sister's favorite is roasted red peppers... I also really like roasted butternut squash, and delish Mushroom soup. I want to try grilled asparagus soup... but I keep just eating it!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
Toby,

I haven't made a hot vegetable soup but made a cold avocado one today. I have a bunch of recipes in my vitamix book if you'd like me to copy those for you but, of course, I can't vouch for them personally. Your blendtec is much faster than the vitamix. Mine takes from 2-5 minutes (depending on the recipe). Let me know if I can help.

Jan
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
Oh Claudia you have no idea how veggie deprived I am....I am just now learning to eat tomatoes in this blender. The idea of green smoothies with a fruit to mask the taste is safe for me....venturing to raw broccoli, red peppers is just plum scary !!!I'll get there though if it makes me pretty...Vanity, vanity Vanity! Laughing
Zoftig, what a kind offer with the recipes...why don't you find one that is simple and post it for all of us. I bet I am not the only one needing some help.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
Toby... let's start with the veges that you like... Give a list... We can all start helping you there!

I don't care for most veges raw... I am starting to add them slowly, and I'm ALL for masking the flavor. I did that with my kids... (granted now they freak out with veges... ) but they ate the best baby food one can make! Their pedi was always surprised.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
the soup thing is great! How easy - and serve with a nice whole grain bread... Dinner....

I really want to get a blendtec. I'm going to burn out my little cuisinart.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hey... My mom just ordered the healthmaster... I will get to test that out next week... She purchased off of either QVC, or Home shopping...

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
Drats! I knew it was a mistake reading this thread just before jumping into bed..

Now I have a burning desire for veggie soup, grilled asparagus and whole grain bread for dipping.. Embarassed

I can't wait to get the bloody blendtec..

Off to beddy-bye, with visions of veggie soup dancing in my head.. sigh!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:39 am      Reply with quote
Lowbrowscientist wrote:
Ladies,

Thankyou so much for all the great suggestions Very Happy

(Zoftig "swampwater" is a great description of what I was drinking! lol)

I think my problem was using too many greens and too little fruit... I'm going to start throwing in a very small amount to start with and then, as you've all suggested, increase very gradually, while experimenting with different types of fruit. With any luck I'll be guzzling lots of greens soon, heaven knows I need them!

Hey Lowbrowscientist,
Claudia's recipe is pretty safe. You should definitely give it a try. I've been drinking it as a lunch substitute everyday. Hoping I'll lose some weight too Pray

And Claudia, THANK YOU!! Have you got anymore recipes that tricks your kids? Laughing

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:57 am      Reply with quote
Claudia,
Just consider me one of your four year olds and find a vegetable soup that they like Laughing it may be that you will have to trick me more than them Embarassed . The veg. I love are cooked green beans, corn, and I stretch it with stir fried broccoli, cauliflower,onions,zucchini, and green peppers. Raw I like carrots,celery,cucumbers,and that is it,I don't even like salad dressings. The miracles of miracles is that I love the smoothies. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:58 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Drats! I knew it was a mistake reading this thread just before jumping into bed..

Now I have a burning desire for veggie soup, grilled asparagus and whole grain bread for dipping.. Embarassed

I can't wait to get the bloody blendtec..

Off to beddy-bye, with visions of veggie soup dancing in my head.. sigh!

Laughing Kassy - I love Ya!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:29 am      Reply with quote
Smoothie skin update here!!!!
Not only is the face looking better, the hands and wrist areas are too. My hands and wrist areas are small and sometimes the veins look protruding. As of this week...little over three weeks of green smoothies my hands and wrist areas are plump and youthful looking. The former protruding veins are laying down and my skin looks plumped up and firm. My mother used to always say to me when I wouldn't try my vegetables, "You don't know what you are missing" well she was right! Again I am utterly amazed!!!!Image

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:44 am      Reply with quote
I made K. Snyder's summer smoothie (spinach, mint, peaches, banana) and it was much, much better than her original smoothie that I made (which I had to force down). The mint was really refreshing!

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
Metaphora
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:22 am      Reply with quote
I just got back from vacation and am still catching up with everything ... but upon reading this thread last night I promptly ordered a L'Equip 228. I've been lusting after a VitaMix for years but it's just too pricey for me currently and will remain so for awhile - but the L'Equip was affordable!

I am really, really bad about eating my veggies and have been wanting to get into green smoothies for a long time - but never really prioritized it because of the cost.

Very excited about this new "health and beauty" project! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:30 am      Reply with quote
Metaphora,
You sound exactly like me....You will love the L equip it is extremely powerful and you will not be disappointed. If I hadn't already promised to sell mine to a friend I would have kept mine...it actually keeps the ice more slushy better than the BIG DOGS!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:54 am      Reply with quote
Toby,

Last night I carefully typed up three recipes from the Vitamix cookbook and added my comments and suggestions for substitutions. (remember, I haven't tried any of the Vitamix recipes - I make up my own). At the very end when asking for suggestions from Claudia my screen went blank! AAAArrrrrghh... Lots of bad language followed (Dr. Weil approves of bad language) and I gave up.

A blessing it turns out. I read your post this am about the veggies you like and I know you wouldn/t have tried any of them. Bad Grin

If I were you (and I would love to have those beautiful eyes - and being young again) I would start with the soup you found that you like and change out the seasonings for variety and add some of those veggies you can tolerate in the stir fries.

Claudia/s recipe ideas in this and the constipation thread are my next tries. I think she will probably be your best bet for hiding some good-for-you stuff in your soups. Unfortunately,although the fruits mask the flavor of the greens in the smoothies I don't know how to add them to the soups for the same purpose.

Claudia, we need your expertise!!
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:07 am      Reply with quote
Well Claudia could sure pass for an expert for a couple of reasons...One, she has been doing smoothies for a long time, and two, she is feeding picky children like some of us Laughing
Zoftig Thank you for trying to get recipes for me...I have lost volumes of information the same way!!!Doesn't make you a happy camper!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
There are some great sounding recipes here:

vitamix.ahoy.com/recipe_search.cgi
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, so I'm not that great in the kitchen....but in case this helps...Combining celery, tomato or red pepper or sundried tomato, and cucumber (or some other veggie) makes a great base for raw soups and gazpachos. The key is to get enough salty flavor from from the celery, tomato, cucumber and red pepper; if that's not enough, add some miso or sea salt. The second key is to get enough sweetness from the tomatoes. If the tomatoes aren't sweet enough, I often add a 1 tsp to 1 tbsp of asweetener like agave. Then, with a little acidity from those veggies or a little added vinegar and your raw soup / gazpacho will really zing in your mouth. Then you can add greens, herbs, spices, other foods, etc. I think the key for great soups--besides fresh ingredients--is balancing the triad of salt, sweetness, and acidity.

You can also make salad dressings out of veggies and nuts and oils in your blenders, as a way to get in more veggies. I like tomatoes or red peppers, along with nuts and seeds like sesame seeds or cashew nuts, then add herbs, some oil, and some apple cider vinegar...yum!

HTH Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
Well... Here's the deal... part of tricking a 4 y/o is the COLOR, they don't KNOW that it's good for them. Granted one of my guys runs to the fridge, pulls out the spinach, and shouts for a smoothie..

So... for those of you knowing that you'll be eating the greens... it's about making it more palatable. It's the Bitter taste that most are offended by...

I WISH I was an expert! But I'm not. I don't have a huge repertoire of veges either. But, I'm always willing to try...

So... If you can eat broccoli, try the broc. soup. add extra cheddar, and make sure you salt and pepper. It goes from bland to POW!

Keep in mind that you can sweeten things up without sugar. Ok.. I'm SOOOOOOO from Humboldt County... but I made the kids baby food. And I will never forget the first time I made them asparagus. I used frozen, steamed them, blended them, gave them a bite (mom and dad watching with jaws on the floor) and they promptly spit it out! Then dad accused me of cruelty...LOL! BUT, I fixed that. I mixed 2 parts peas to 1 part asparagus, and they ate it. Then I slowly backed the peas out... and they eventually ate it!!!! WAAAHHHH HOOOOO... now they won't eat it... "it's yucky!" But the peas (also frozen) made it sweet, and added fiber!!!! So, you could always try adding some peas to sweeten up a green drink staying savory.

And I think you could use corn too. And they make beet sugar out of BEETS... I stumped for other sweet veges right now. Now, I will tell you. I CAN'T stand butternut squash. It totally grosses me out! BUT, I LOVE Butternut squash soup! Go figure! Slice a squash down the long middle, scoop seeds. Brush with EVOO roast in the oven... maybe 350* for 40 minutes? Just don't burn... I have to get temps from DH... When nice and soft, scoop the squash, throw that in the blender. Then I would Sautee an onion... and throw that in the blender. Add some chicken or vege stock (I like chicken better), and Blend. Maybe add some Milk for extra creamy. Sprinkle some nutmeg on top... This is sooooooo Yummy!

Roasting adds a lot of flavor. It normalizes the natural sugars...

I'm working on a pretty RED smoothie... more to come when I figure it out!!!!

Ok... so while your making an attempt to ingest more veges... there are other things I do (and I wish I could say this always works with kids, but they change their minds daily!!!)

BEET Chips, get golden, and red. You can use a mandelin (get one that protects your finger or LOSE your finger!), a food proccessor with a slicer, or you can cut with a knife, which is pain, but it's what I've done most recently. (experiment with root veges.)

Slice to about 1/8th inch. (the red from beets will STAIN your clothes...use caution) Toss in bowl with EVOO. Lay out on sprayed cookie sheet. Lightly salt, or use another flavoring (BBQ?), and place in oven on 150* (if you can, my convection will only go to 170*) and bake for about 20 minutes. Watch them closely to see how they do in your oven. You may need to flip, or just yank them so they don't burn. I burned half of my first batch... according to my son they died! Daddy's the chef... mommy really balances the check book...

These are awesome straight! But you can use them in your avocado dip! Or hummus. (I buy mine with no oil and sun dried tomatoes... OMG... DELISH! Excellent fiber!)

Like french fries? Buy Sweet potatoes (these are white) or yams (those are orange), and slice up like steak fries... toss in EVOO, flavor, bake...

Did I mention that I just ordered Victoria's (green for life) smoothie "cook"book? It should be here soon... will let you know what I think...

I have really been upping my greens just in the last 2 weeks... and I think I'm going through some sort of purge, I just went through a breakout, unlike ANY in my life. Fortunately, it cleared as fast as it popped out. But it was a horror story!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
"I have really been upping my greens just in the last 2 weeks... and I think I'm going through some sort of purge, I just went through a breakout, unlike ANY in my life. Fortunately, it cleared as fast as it popped out. But it was a horror story!"

Sounds like classic signs of detox Smile That's great! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
I had some little bumps on my neck that came and went quickly...never had that before and I felt it was tied into all the greens at once being introduced. It lasted two days and was bery slight.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |