Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Feeding your skin with Smoothies!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Hi Lacy and CM:
Here are some thoughts I have.

When I put a smoothie together in the morning I figure I am getting 3 servings of vegetables and probably 2 servings of fruits. I also usually add flax seeds and/or chia seeds. No problem in terms of my own personal food pyramid needs. (mypyramid.gov)

If this is used a snack it's certainly better than most snack food. Yes, I agree, the calories are higher than I like my snacks to be too, but if you live in the US (where % obese statistic outnumbers the overweight statistic) you realize most people are snacking on much more calories and much worse items. In terms of calories - as you know there are those who easily plow through a bag of potato chips and/or a pack of cupcakes (serving size be damned)for a snack.

I consider my smoothie to be breakfast. I also look at it as having the benefit of alkalynizing my system, of getting phytonutrients, fiber, vitamins, minerals and hopefully EFA's of some sort (depending upon what else is in it). A bit short on the protein stick but I don't see that I'm ...getting too much of a good thing.

I feel assured knowing that the smoothie has given me a good baseline. Balance is key and variety in a smoothie fixin is important too. I think most of us rotate our veggies and fruits. I know I do.

I tend to have yogart and walnuts for lunch (or something similar.)

I would suggest that the *smoothie people* are above average in their concern for achieving positive nutritional status and I would expect they are better than the average bear on keeping things well-rounded with the rest of their food choices..

Some people may be nutritionally aware, but many who are making smoothies are newbies and may not be aware of the value of their choices, which is why I suggested running their recipes through an analysis. I have seen some veteran smoothie users who say they have the same smoothie every day though which suggests not a lot of variety in their diet. So the statement that smoothie people are above average in their knowledge may not be true IMO.

As far as alkalizing the body goes I don't believe in that personally, but that is another discussion on a different thread. People are free to believe whatever they choose to.

I don't see much regard for the nutritional requirements of older women on this thread. I am referring to bone-building, a dietary reduction of iron, and a general reduction in caloric intake as we age, since metabolism naturally slows. What may be healthy for a 30 year-old may not be the best choice for someone twice that age. Just something to consider.

Perhaps you could answer a question for me Sis ... what happens to our body when we over-indulge in the water soluble nutrients such as Vitamin C? Does the excess just end up being expelled by the body? If so, what is the benefit of overloading our diet with those nutrients?

A similar question ... what happens is we have a diet rich in Vitamin K? Any concern about blood clotting factors or drug interactions? I know that Vitamin A can be toxic at very high intake (far above the levels obtained in a green smoothie) but is there any advantage to getting a lot more than the daily recommended minimum amount?

Do most people continue to take supplements when using green smoothies? Any reason why or why not?

I am not a nutritional expert by any means! I just consider myself informed and try to educate myself by reading various sources, including EDS and this thread. I personally prefer to eat my fruit and vegetables, rather than process them into a smoothie. I like to chew my food ... good for the teeth and gums, good for the facial muscles too (or so I have learned).

5% products discount

Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
Yes but blending them allows the body to more easily digest and assimilate the nutrients. Would have been helpful if you had just stated early on your not into smoothies.
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
skinner2 wrote:
Yes but blending them allows the body to more easily digest and assimilate the nutrients. Would have been helpful if you had just stated early on your not into smoothies.

Not sure why it matters if I am "into smoothies" or not? My reasoning is sound, and it's all a matter of personal choice anyway. Nutrition is nutrition right? Eating well and staying healthy is everyone's goal here.

I have read the argument before skinner ... that processing the greens with fruits and vegetables allows the body to digest and assimilate the nutrients more readily. I am just not sure that is true. So I research and look for reliable information to support what is said here, including that claim. Do you know of any reliable source which supports that statement?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
It is true. Many people will jump on the "band wagon" and not have a clue what they are doing. I doubt that smoothies are the only thing they do this with.

On a site such as this you will read of people with fantastic retin a, CP, Vit C Serum... etc results...

You will also read of fried skin, super saggies, and rashes... All do to a lack of understanding and comprehension of all the above treatments, that when used properly are generally pretty darn safe...

I don't really see the need to address the nutritional requirements for any one group on this thread. We all have different needs. And my 38 y/o needs are very easily completely different from another 38 y/o. I think it's just very important that a person know their own body, and their own needs and do what they can to meet those needs. Smoothies are just simply a tool that many find as an easy way to meet certain needs... Certainly not all their needs.

At the same time, no one on this thread has claimed to be a nutritionist, or a dr. (let alone most of the threads here). It's quite clear that everyone sharing their own personal experiences and how they approach their diet.

In fact, it seems that many people here, (I know I have) have actually spoken with their Dr.s or nutritionists about their diets and supplementation...

Water soluble vitamins are generally excreted when there is too much. The point, to a smoothie is not necessarily to get as much Vit. C... but generally a synergistic accomplishment of getting nutrients with fresh and whole foods.... in addition to an abundance of fiber (that many....many people are seriously lacking)

This in turn aids in easy elimination of waste,often solving many digestive problems.And more often than not, a general improvement in skin and its appearance.

Basically, smoothies happen to be the one stone that can take out a lot of birds, if you will.

In my case they are a delicious way for my picky 4 y/o's to get extra fruits and veges in their diets... and their pediatrician is quite pleased with that, and also shares the idea with other parents who have a hard time with their childrens' diets and nutrition. My kids love their organic mac and cheese, with chicken and broccoli , and are NONE THE WISER that their cheese sauce is full of blended roasted butter nut squash and caramelized onions.

And let's face it. If we need to be hyper concerned about getting too much of an ingredient, I hardly think the first place of concern should be placed with whole fruits and vegetables. But perhaps rather with packaged foods full of chemicals and preservatives. The warning I've rec'd from medical professionals and nutritionists a like is that sodium needs to be watched first and fore most. Further to watch for added sugar, like corn syrup, or "grape juice", or partially hydrogenated oils.

Chewing is an important part of digestion, diet, and I'm quite sure maintaining bone.

I don't see a single person here suggesting that a person with a full set of chompers take on a liquid diet.

What you might not have realized is that most people here are interested in getting more greens into their diet that IS IN FACT recommended and is often hard to do. Medical professionals from all areas of expertise agree on the need to do this. Others are looking at ways to change their diet to enhance their ability to stay hydrated.

I personally LIKE being able to drink some of my greens and veges and fruits. It helps me reach the RDA on those, and then some. On a cold winter day there is nothing better to me than downing a pound of hot, smooth and creamy broccoli...

With regard to your final question about assimilating the greens when blended... The information that is most compelling on this is found in Victoria Boutenkos book Green for Life.

But I can tell you as a mom of twins, who has observed more than a handful of eliminations... I can see that often "chewed" food passes right through the system... and does not appear to have been assimilated at all... I can also report that the child that eats the most fruits and veges, both whole and spun, has the "healthier" eliminations and gets sick WAY less than the other. I also know many "elderly" people who were naturally less hydrated as they don't tend to feel thirst as younger people who are painfully backed up are able to drink much more fiber than they could ever chew, and are able to eliminate much better and live much more comfy lives...

In the end... this thread is about a fun, yummy way to meet the needs that many of us have a hard time meeting otherwise...

5% products discount

Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
Well said Claudia
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone. I am wondering when is best to take calcium. Will taking it with a green smoothy interfere with the absorption of the calcium. Also, has anyone read if caffeine reduces the absorption of calcium? TIA ps. This thread has inspired me to add greens and I think it is a really easy way to get enough vegetable servings a day (having both the smoothy and raw and cooked vegetables as well). Thanks.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
harriet wrote:
Hi everyone. I am wondering when is best to take calcium. Will taking it with a green smoothy interfere with the absorption of the calcium. Also, has anyone read if caffeine reduces the absorption of calcium? TIA ps. This thread has inspired me to add greens and I think it is a really easy way to get enough vegetable servings a day (having both the smoothy and raw and cooked vegetables as well). Thanks.

I am not sure about caffeine but I have read that the Oxalic Acid in chocolate interferes with the absorption of calcium! Makes all those giving kids chocolate milk for calcium defeat the purpose!

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry for those who don't care for copy and paste but here is this from pub med

Food Chem Toxicol. 2002 Sep;40(9):1263-70.
Effects of caffeine on bone and the calcium economy.
Heaney RP.
Creighton University, 2500 California Plaza, Omaha, Nebraska 68178, USA. rheaney@creighton.edu
Caffeine-containing beverage consumption has been reported to be associated with reduced bone mass and increased fracture risk in some, but not most, observational studies. Human physiological studies and controlled balance studies show a clear but only a very small depressant effect of caffeine itself on intestinal calcium absorption, and no effect on total 24-h urinary calcium excretion. The epidemiologic studies showing a negative effect may be explained in part by an inverse relationship between consumption of milk and caffeine-containing beverages. Low calcium intake is clearly linked to skeletal fragility, and it is likely that a high caffeine intake is often a marker for a low calcium intake. The negative effect of caffeine on calcium absorption is small enough to be fully offset by as little as 1-2 tablespoons of milk. All of the observations implicating caffeine-containing beverages as a risk factor for osteoporosis have been made in populations consuming substantially less than optimal calcium intakes. There is no evidence that caffeine has any harmful effect on bone status or on the calcium economy in individuals who ingest the currently recommended daily allowances of calcium.
PMID: 12204390 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Publication Types, MeSH Terms, Substances
LinkOut - more resources

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12204390

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
harriet wrote:

This may help:

http://dietary-supplements.info.nih.gov/factsheets/calcium.asp

Quote:
Not all calcium consumed is actually absorbed in the gut. Among the factors that affect its absorption are the following:

Amount consumed: the efficiency of absorption decreases as the amount of calcium consumed at a meal increases.

Age: net calcium absorption is as high as 60% in infants and young children, who need substantial amounts of the mineral to build bone. Absorption decreases to 15%-20% in adulthood and continues to decrease as people age; this explains the higher recommended calcium intakes for ages ≥51 years.

Vitamin D intake: this nutrient, obtained from food and produced by skin when exposed to sunlight of sufficient intensity, improves calcium absorption.

Other components in food: phytic acid and oxalic acid, found naturally in some plants, bind to calcium and can inhibit its absorption. Foods with high levels of oxalic acid include spinach, collard greens, sweet potatoes, rhubarb, and beans. Among the foods high in phytic acid are fiber-containing whole-grain products and wheat bran, beans, seeds, nuts, and soy isolates. The extent to which these compounds affect calcium absorption varies. Research shows, for example, that eating spinach and milk at the same time reduces absorption of the calcium in milk. In contrast, wheat products (with the exception of wheat bran) do not appear to have a negative impact on calcium absorption. For people who eat a variety of foods, these interactions probably have little or no nutritional consequence and, furthermore, are accounted for in the overall calcium DRIs, which take absorption into account.

Hopefully this is based on up-to-date research, since it does come from the NIH.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:12 am      Reply with quote
Is the spinach that is consumed with the milk in the test raw or cooked?

I ask this because one of the 'fathers' of raw food (especially juicing), Norman Walker, who lived to be a very very old man (there is controversy about the exact age he died)...and has a juicer he developed for healing purposes named after him... says that this is not so if the oxalic acid containing food is eaten raw.

(I have no idea if this is true or not)

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
JR There are as usual opposing views about cooked spinach and the oxalic acid interfering with calcium absorption! What to believe?

http://www.innvista.com/health/foods/vegetables/spinach.htm

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400344/Avoid-Vegetables-with-Oxalic-Acid.html

DM Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
FWIW, I find Dr. Weil to be a pretty reputable source of information.

My opinion: I know this is totally unscientific, but I'd say go by taste: if the taste of things with oxalic acid tastes good to you, then enjoy, but if not, don't force yourself to eat it. Most greens contain mild toxins anyways, to prevent you from eating a lot of them, and oxalic acid is just one of them. Besides, if spinach appeals to you, there are still plenty of benefits to spinach, even if having lots of bioavailable calcium and iron aren't among them. Also, the "younger" the greens, the less oxalic acid in them.

For me personally, I can't stand raw spinach, and am revulsed by it. I also do not like chard or beet greens or virtually any green with significant amounts of oxalic acid. But I love spring greens, green and red kale (but not dinosaur/lacinto kale), romaine, baby bok choy, and even dandelion greens (as long as they are not too bitter)--they are all low in oxalic acid. In fact, I'd rather eat dandelion greens over spinach any day, but that's just me Smile. The body is really intelligent, and I suspect my body is telling me on purpose not to eat spinach and other moderate to high-content oxalate foods.

Interestingly, when I have eaten cooked spinach, I haven't found it to be as bad (though I'm still not a fan), so maybe that supports the theory that cooking destroy oxalic acid at least to a degree.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
Here's a scientific reference on cooking and oxalates:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WJH-45F4DB1-2V&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=cfaf1bdfa05042d916833838924b2a8d

Apparently, it says cooking leaches the oxalates into the water, but it does not talk about the oxalates being destroyed by heat and converted into some other sort of innocuous compounds.

The website http://www.indepthinfo.com/nutrition/oxalic-acid.shtml says:

"However, for people with kidney stones, gall stones or severe calcium deficiency problems oxalic acid intake should be severely restricted....It is known that cooking has little effect on the oxalic acid content of food. About 10 to 15 percent reduction is common at normal temperatures and cooking times. Cooking foods longer or hotter will have an overall detrimental effect by destroying the good nutrients. As noted above, oxalic acid consumption, on the whole, should not be a concern or factor in considering the diet of the average person. Those with special concerns should consult a physician or a nutritionist about restricted intake."

And this second scientific article (http://www.springerlink.com/content/m236x3655w3853ng/) on the affect of cooking on oxalates says that "blanching and cooking resulted in a significant reduction in oxalic acid"

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
cm5597,

You made me smile my oldest daughter 29 today! Hates cooked spinach but eats it raw in salads, and hasn't touched milk since she was 18 months old! She is quite health and diet conscious so I have to agree you have to eat what your body likes as long as it's healthy!
I like all you don't as well as what you do Smile
I was the odd kid that loved fruits and veggies more than any other food groups, and still do!
I just posted the links as it always seems that what one says another contradicts! I just do my best to eat a well rounded healthy diet and wait for the next report to change that food XXX is now great for you after it's gone back and forth on the good/bad list as long as I can remember! Smile
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
JR There are as usual opposing views about cooked spinach and the oxalic acid interfering with calcium absorption! What to believe?

http://www.innvista.com/health/foods/vegetables/spinach.htm

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400344/Avoid-Vegetables-with-Oxalic-Acid.html

DM Smile

Both sources appear to validate interference with absorption of calcium due to oxalic acid in spinach. Admittedly I read them quickly but I didn't see an opposing view.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Both sources appear to validate interference with absorption of calcium due to oxalic acid in spinach.

Yes, they both do. Yes, the oxalic acid does bind calcium and a couple other minerals and precipitates them out in the form of salts...which in excess, can lead to kidney stones.

I originally thought that DM was citing the two articles to point out conflicting opinions on whether cooking high oxalate foods matters, and in which direction...but I dunno...

Yes, DM, I used to think that intuition and noticing what healthy foods appeal to you was somewhat important, but after a few years of really trying to pay attention, now I think it's really important to see what appeals and doesn't appeal to me.

I used to love chocolate, but nowadays, I actually notice that I find it slightly unappealing and do not desire it...interestingly, the more greens I eat, the less I like chocolate, and the relationship is very strong! My theory is that it's probably the magnesium in chocolate I'm drawn to on those few days when I don't eat enough greens Smile

So yes, very often, I think our body/healthy cravings are smarter than we are! Now after paying attention, it's as if everything seems to come into sharper focus and what the body needs is just so much clearer. It takes a lot of practice just to pay attention and to separate healthy from unhealthy cravings, but it's worth it and becomes easier with time to tune in to everything from signals for more water, to signs for more of particular minerals like magnesium.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
cm5597,

They do both agree that oxalic acid binds the calcium and the question was for cooked spinach specifically where one says this is not something to be concerned with the other disagrees.
I tend to crave more healthy foods than snacks or junk food, my big vice is my one cup of coffee in the morning, well make that a mug! Smile
from blood work all these years I have never had any deficiencies, even during 4 pregnancies my hematocrit and hemoglobin were very high, so much so that no iron in the prenatal vitamins for me!

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
Norman Walker has said that foods containing oxalic acid (like spinach) are not harmful in their raw state..since the oxalic acid behaves differently in it's raw state than in it's cooked state. For years, this has made more sense to me.for various reasons, than other info I have been taught about oxalic acid in veggies., although i have no scientific proof of it's validity.

Anyway I was looking online to see if i could find a refernce to Norman Walker regarding this issue..and found some info on the 'Beautiful on Raw' website regarding the raw diet and oxalic acid..

"Walker claims that in the live organic form oxalic acid does not present any problem. Oxalic acid stones and calcium blockage do not occur because the organic oxalic acid can be metabolized appropriately. According to Dr. Walker, oxalic acid in its raw form is one of the important minerals needed to maintain tone and peristalsis of the bowel"

Dr Gabrielle Cousens, an allopathic and ayuvedic doctor with a raw (living food) retreat center (who is someone i respect in many ways) was also mentioned... regarding the oxalic acid in some veggies... in this same website..and concurs with Walker that, in it's raw state. oxalic acid can be beneficial to the body.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:54 pm      Reply with quote
you guys have totally inspired me. i made a ludicrously healthy and delicious smoothie today with the following:

kale
baby spinach
blackberries
blueberries
pineapple
cucumber
raw almonds
aloe juice

if you need it to be sweeter, you could add some raw honey, too.
it was just like a smoothie, and very delicious!

thanks so much for this thread!
i see the debates about nutritional value and the caloric issue, but i just loved eating this smoothie, which is know is really healthy because of its composition of elements, along with my dinner of grilled chicken, sweet potato, and raw bell pepper (excellent source of insoluble fiber and vitamin c).
What i like about these as opposed to juices is that you consume the fiber along with the nutrients.

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
Norman Walker has said that foods containing oxalic acid (like spinach) are not harmful in their raw state..since the oxalic acid behaves differently in it's raw state than in it's cooked state. For years, this has made more sense to me.for various reasons, than other info I have been taught about oxalic acid in veggies., although i have no scientific proof of it's validity.

Anyway I was looking online to see if i could find a refernce to Norman Walker regarding this issue..and found some info on the 'Beautiful on Raw' website regarding the raw diet and oxalic acid..

"Walker claims that in the live organic form oxalic acid does not present any problem. Oxalic acid stones and calcium blockage do not occur because the organic oxalic acid can be metabolized appropriately. According to Dr. Walker, oxalic acid in its raw form is one of the important minerals needed to maintain tone and peristalsis of the bowel"

Dr Gabrielle Cousens, an allopathic and ayuvedic doctor with a raw (living food) retreat center (who is someone i respect in many ways) was also mentioned... regarding the oxalic acid in some veggies... in this same website..and concurs with Walker that, in it's raw state. oxalic acid can be beneficial to the body.

FWIW, I think this must be at least partially not true. There have been reported cases of animals and people getting sick from and in rare cases, dying from ingesting raw rhubarb leaves precisely because of their high oxalic acid content. Also, regarding Tonya's comments, yes, oxalic acid is known to be a mild laxative, too. I mention this just so people are aware not to go experimenting and a ton of oxalates to see what that does Smile

What benefits did they say were associated with oxalic acid?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
you guys have totally inspired me. i made a ludicrously healthy and delicious smoothie today with the following:

kale
baby spinach
blackberries
blueberries
pineapple
cucumber
raw almonds
aloe juice

i see the debates about nutritional value and the caloric issue, but i just loved eating this smoothie, which is know is really healthy because of its composition of elements, along with my dinner of grilled chicken, sweet potato, and raw bell pepper (excellent source of insoluble fiber and vitamin c).
What i like about these as opposed to juices is that you consume the fiber along with the nutrients.

--avalange

Avalange, your smoothie is SO creative and sounds absolutely divine!!!! I'd love to know how much of each of those ingredients you put into your smoothie. Thanks in advance!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:12 pm      Reply with quote
No problems with the Blueberries???

I have had NOTHING but probs. smoothing my blueberries. It seems like I always have "skin" left. In fact the first time it happened, I thought that I somehow HAD plastic in my drink that didn't shred...

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:50 am      Reply with quote
Hi CM,
i was addresing Lacy's post about research results that showed the calcium in milk was less available when eaten with spinach cause it binds with the oxalic acid in the spinach..and i was wondering whether the spinach consumed in the research was cooked or raw...since Norman Walker... (best if people googled him to get more info..but as i've already posted he's considered to be one of the 'fathers'(there are also 'mothers) of raw food) has said that the nature of oxalic acid in different in a raw veggie then in a cooked one..ie. spinach. ..and then it's not only not a detriment in raw food...but a positive for tone and peristalsis of the bowels..

as for the reasons Cousens feels oxalic acid can be positive for the body..i don't have the time to look that up in his book right now(and my next few days will be spent celebrating my dh's birthday) but i imagine it would (at least) include the bowel toning as well

i don't really know about rhubarb leaves..i know i won't eat them...but i did quickly google about it..and saw this... which may be of interest: Oxalates are contained in all parts of rhubarb plants, especially in the green leaves. There is some evidence that anthraquinone glycosides are also present and may be partly responsible. It is not clear as to the exact source of poisoning from rhubarb...

at any rate, i'm not recommending eating oxalic acid specifically for health purposes...but questioning whether or not it's a problem in binding calcium when eaten raw in normally consumed foods such as spinach..and also, because of the respect i feel for Walker,and my own personal experience, feel it may even be of benefit as far as toning the bowels.

ans as i stated in a post earlier in this page i have no idea if this is true or not, but, taking into account the different sources of info about oxalic acid and it's effect in binding calcium, and knowing what i do about Norman walker's life, i personally choose to go with his 'truth' (i think it basically comes down to how do we know 'truth' .... i don't believe it's a 'stable' commodity, so to speak, but different, out of necessity, for everyone's own psyche/destiny.

avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:11 am      Reply with quote
hi cm5597,

thanks for asking me to clarify, because in fact, aloe juice should only be ingested very sparingly, and i forgot to say that i only added 2 ounces of it, which is the recommended dose.
i put in about a handful of raw curly kale, a handful of spinach, half a small cucumber, 1/4 cored pineapple, 1/3 cup blueberries, 1/3 cup blackberries, about 5-6 raw almonds, and as mentioned above, only 2 ounces of aloe juice. the previous day, i made the same concoction with about 1 cup of coconut water, and it was runny and gross. the one i posted tasted exactly like a smoothie--it has a smooth, creamy texture (although every once in a while, a bit of crunchy almond--which i like!

--avalange

cm5597 wrote:
avalange wrote:

kale
baby spinach
blackberries
blueberries
pineapple
cucumber
raw almonds
aloe juice

--avalange

Avalange, your smoothie is SO creative and sounds absolutely divine!!!! I'd love to know how much of each of those ingredients you put into your smoothie. Thanks in advance!

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:35 am      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
Hi CM,
i was addresing Lacy's post about research results that showed the calcium in milk was less available when eaten with spinach cause it binds with the oxalic acid in the spinach..and i was wondering whether the spinach consumed in the research was cooked or raw...since Norman Walker... (best if people googled him to get more info..but as i've already posted he's considered to be one of the 'fathers'(there are also 'mothers) of raw food) has said that the nature of oxalic acid in different in a raw veggie then in a cooked one..ie. spinach. ..and then it's not only not a detriment in raw food...but a positive for tone and peristalsis of the bowels..

as for the reasons Cousens feels oxalic acid can be positive for the body..i don't have the time to look that up in his book right now(and my next few days will be spent celebrating my dh's birthday) but i imagine it would (at least) include the bowel toning as well

i don't really know about rhubarb leaves..i know i won't eat them...but i did quickly google about it..and saw this... which may be of interest: Oxalates are contained in all parts of rhubarb plants, especially in the green leaves. There is some evidence that anthraquinone glycosides are also present and may be partly responsible. It is not clear as to the exact source of poisoning from rhubarb...

at any rate, i'm not recommending eating oxalic acid specifically for health purposes...but questioning whether or not it's a problem in binding calcium when eaten raw in normally consumed foods such as spinach..and also, because of the respect i feel for Walker,and my own personal experience, feel it may even be of benefit as far as toning the bowels.

ans as i stated in a post earlier in this page i have no idea if this is true or not, but, taking into account the different sources of info about oxalic acid and it's effect in binding calcium, and knowing what i do about Norman walker's life, i personally choose to go with his 'truth' (i think it basically comes down to how do we know 'truth' .... i don't believe it's a 'stable' commodity, so to speak, but different, out of necessity, for everyone's own psyche/destiny.

Great, thanks for clarifying Smile

Anyways, my main thrust was just to say: To be on the safe side, I just wanted to make sure no one went out and ate high oxalate foods to the extreme, given the reports Smile

And if sometime in the future, you do end up looking up or coming across any further info about what Walker and Dr. Cousens said and what sort of research they did on the issue, and it's not too much trouble, I'd love to hear it! Smile

Thanks, Jasminerosey Smile Smile

Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |