Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Just got engaged! Now need ring help ...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
alice~in~wonderland
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:20 pm      Reply with quote
My super long-term boyfriend and I just got engaged!! Woohoo, I'm (we) are super stoked - he hasn't bought a ring yet as he wanted my input. So I thought I'd ask around to find out what types of rings you ladies have (or wish you have!), what you like / don't like about them, to help me figure out what style, practicality considerations, etc. to make in some upcoming decisions about my engagement ring. Thanks in advance!
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
Congratulations, how exciting!!!!

Are you wanting gold, white gold, platinum, or? I picked out yellow gold for mine and do not know, to this day, why I did yellow gold as I wear sterling silver jewelry. 15 years later (2009) I did a re-design set in white gold. Just a suggestion, but do think about the color.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
I have yellow gold, white prongs, emerald cut, with micropave. The micropave is beautiful but can be a pain since they pop out easily.
Rockalilly
5% products discount

Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
The most important part of the ring (in my opinion) is not the style or metal - it's really the stone. I have a traditional diamond ring and we spent about a month searching for the perfect stone. First narrow it down to which stone and cut you like best. I went to jewelry stores and decided to get an emerald cut which has less facets so you see inclusions easier in less perfect stones. You can do searches online to figure out what to look for in diamonds and other semiprecious stones (cut, clarity, color, carats). Also look through the loop at stones that aren't set into a setting if you get the chance. This allows you to see more. Once I knew what I was looking for, I was actually able to find my stone online throughwww.UnionDiamond.com. We checked out the specs on the GIA certification and spoke to someone over the phone who was able to talk to us about the minor inclusion while looking at it. The purchase went smoothly and the ring is gorgeous (one carat emerald cut flanked by two quarter carat pear diamonds - used one of their settings and I've never seen anyone else with my ring). I did my research and they were rated well by Forbes Magazine and the Better Business Bureau as well as had good reviews and a reputable brick and mortar location in Atlanta. I had some minor issues but they took care of them easily - it's all done with FedEx overnight with insurance. Overall, I'd say it was a good experience considering we purchased my engagement ring online. I checked my local Shane Co and they were trying to sell me stones that were much lower quality for higher prices so we didn't think we could do better for the price if we bought locally.

Finding a wedding band to fit my ring was the hardest part though. Union Diamond didn't have anything matching and we didn't consider this when I chose my engagement ring. I eventually found a local family owned place, Vardy's in Cupertino, California, who had bands that fit my ring perfectly. I almost wish I had known about them in the first place because their customer service and jewelry quality has been unparalled. They clean and dip my rings and take care of my engagement ring too since they're attached.

I have white gold but I'm hoping to upgrade to Platinum (an extra $2500 for my ring). I discovered that I'm allergic to nickel which is blended with the gold to make it white. If you know you have a nickel allergy, then stay away from white gold. My ring makes my finger break out and blister (if I wear it for 24 hours or more) so I only wear it when I leave my house. If I had known how bad it would be, I probably would have gone with rose or yellow gold. Also, white gold does require maintenance; because it's not a natural color, you will need to get it dipped in Rhodium by a jeweler every 1-2 years, some places do this for free and some charge about $100 per dip according to current cost of Rhodium. When you do get your ring, it's good to get the diamonds checked every 6 months to make sure they're not loose if you're wearing it daily.

When I went in last week to get my ring dipped, I noticed lots of unusual rings (tourmaline, sapphire) that would make pretty engagement rings. My best advice would be go with your heart! It's going to be on your finger so make sure you love it and your fiance is proud of it. Good Luck and Congrats! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
Check out Pricescope.com. It is an excellent resource and a forum! I've learned everything I needed to know there.

For me - has to be 2 carats at least Very Happy Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
Rockalilly wrote:

I have white gold but I'm hoping to upgrade to Platinum (an extra $2500 for my ring). I discovered that I'm allergic to nickel which is blended with the gold to make it white. If you know you have a nickel allergy, then stay away from white gold.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I have what I call a major allergy to nickel. It's so bad that I practically break out just looking at costume jewelry. But..... I have absolutely no problem with my white gold wedding ring, no discomfort whatsoever.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for all your replies and ideas! Initially I'd been thinking of having a red gold band (I'm of eastern European decent), however that type of gold is pretty tough to come by where I am currently living in Alberta, plus I'm pretty picky as to the right about of "red" in the gold. My next choice would likely be white gold - thanks for the tips about needing to have it dipped every couple years! I did not know that.

And of course, the stone ... that has been a toughie - I really like the emerald cut - that was always a preference of mine. However then I found some sites that had some antique-y type cuts (cushion, european, miner - at least I think they are more antique-y), that I also really like the looks of. I also think I'd like a Canadian diamond (since I'm from here and all!)

Funny that you mention it, as I'd been toying with the idea of ruby or blue sapphire as a centre stone.

Currently we're a little torn between ordering a ring we like the style of online, then replacing the stones with the ones I'd like, or buying the stones, and having a band made after wards. Anyone have any thoughts/advice on that?

Thanks again everyone for all your help!
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that you should start with the stone and then work around it. Diamonds are obviously lovely but emeralds and ceylon sapphires are beautiful too. Watch out for softer things as they are not so practical, e.g. I know someone who had an opal ring and it got spoilt just by everyday activities such as cooking.

White gold is regular gold rhodium plated which is why it goes yellowish and needs replating. When I was in Italy they told me that their white gold was different but I have never researched this.

The price difference between white gold and platinum shouldn't be much well..relatively...a few hundreds rather than thousands.
Rockalilly
5% products discount

Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
Frodo, you're so lucky! I accidentally fell asleep with my ring on (knowing I had problems) and woke up with a really bad blister all the way around my finger. It took weeks to heal. Sad But my band is pretty thick so there's a lot of it in contact with my skin. I use an ointment at night to help with the breakouts and it's not bad if I take it off at home, usually little red itchy bumps and peeling skin. I wore some costume earrings for a day (thought I could get away with it) and when I took them out, the holes started bleeding. I've learned my lesson with costume jewelery!

Alice, I think with any bands you purchase online, you're paying mostly for the stones. If you're going to replace them, contact the company directly and ask for a price for the band alone with no stones. Also, take photos into as many stores as you can find in your area that do custom work and get price quotes. Look at the quality of their work to make sure they're good. I've seen how my jeweler does his designs and he does most of his molds by hand. They're not always "perfect" because they aren't made by a machine but they're pretty darn close. I'd ask if they can get the exact shade of gold you want if you prefer the red gold. There's no harm in trying to get it if it's something you love!

Sapphires and Rubies are the same stone (Ruby is a fancy name for a perfectly red Sapphire - I learned this researching Sapphires because I've been shopping for some earrings). Their hardness rating is a 9 (Diamonds are 10) but it's a sliding scale. They're also great because they don't require special care like some other stones that shouldn't come into contact with soaps and stuff. They would both make good choices for an engagement ring - even if they're not the center stone.

When it comes to cuts of diamonds, just go to stores and try on various shapes with different styles of settings. I quickly learned that lots of pretty settings I liked didn't look good on my hand. I was looking at getting a Radiant or and Ascher cut but when my husband saw the Emerald cut - he fell in love. I've always loved Emerald cut too but since the stones have to be a little more perfect, they might be slightly higher priced. Since there are so little facets, getting one without inclusions you can see is more difficult. I think they're totally worth it though!

You'll have to show us pictures when you decide what you're getting! Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="alice~in~wonderland"]where I am currently living in Alberta

quote]

I am not sure where you are located in Alberta, however if you are in Edmonton, I can highly recommend Walter at Concord Diamonds in Edmonton. He made the wedding band for my ring and re-set my engagement ring - excellent work. We were so impressed with his knowledge and such that we are planning on returing to him for earrings etc. at a later date. While I am not certain re: ruby etc. and what other stones Concord carries, the website is http://www.concorddiamondinc.com/ if you are at all interested.

Good luck!
callalily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
Congratulations!!!!! I hope you find your perfect ring. There are some wonderful independent jewelery makers around. I'm in BC and I think I would get something made locally. But that's just my preference and sensibility. I can't wait until the day I get to pick out my ring! I always loved looking at my grandparents jewelery when I was younger. I find wedding bands and engagement rings so terribly romantic!
Good luck Alice!

Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |