Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Anyone take Maca powder and is it safe ?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to hear from anyone who uses this and what they think of it. I was looking at it for menopausal symptoms and energy, and so ordered it. I then read it should be avoided if there is a family history of hormonal cancers. What do you guys think ? I contacted the people I ordered it from and they said they had never heard of anything like this. I also noticed it is not mentioned on all websites (or product packaging) of those selling the product,

many thanks

Jackie xx
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to hear from anyone who uses this and what they think of it. I was looking at it for menopausal symptoms and energy, and so ordered it. I then read it should be avoided if there is a family history of hormonal cancers. What do you guys think ? I contacted the people I ordered it from and they said they had never heard of anything like this. I also noticed it is not mentioned on all websites (or product packaging) of those selling the product,

many thanks

Jackie xx

Yes I think there's one doctor who give maca that claimed that and then it's quoted all over the internet. But I don't know where he is getting it from.

Although it was believed that the improvement in menopausal symptoms with maca use was because maca had estrogenic effects, there was an article published in Menopause on 2008 (Menopause is a medical journal) in which use of maca improved menopausal symptoms without estrogenic activity.

Maca indeed seems promising, I really hope more research is done on it!

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
The reference for the article is:

"Beneficial effects of Lepidium meyenii (Maca) on psychological symptoms and measures of sexual dysfunction in postmenopausal women are not related to estrogen or androgen content"

Menopause. 2008 Nov-Dec;15(6):1157-62

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:33 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.highonhealth.org/what-nobody-tells-you-about-maca-root-powder-dangers-and-side-effects/
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:56 am      Reply with quote
thanks for your replies girls,

I really don't know what to think, and I certainly don't want to put myself at risk, my aunt had breast cancer, so this is quite worrying,

thanks again

Jackie xx
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:48 am      Reply with quote
I think it is worrying, as well. I just found the link I provided to you, as I was researching MACA, as well. That stopped me. It may be just fine, but I am not a huge supplement taker, and the info from the lady made me decide not to try it. Please keep us posted if you do decide. I am interested in it, but would like to hear from others who have taken it first!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
Maca root is in the VEGA Meal Replacement powder that I take every day. It does give me energy. I took the actual maca root supplement in capsule form for a while, but I thought it made me TOO energetic. I haven't tried it for menopausal symptoms so I can't speak to that.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
The Menopause 2008 Nov-Dec article Josee is referring to can be found at:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18784609

I'm just starting to take Maca.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I'd just like to add I believe maca powder to be one of the best superfoods there is. My husband and I absolutely love it. It's energy giving, mood stimulating, and hormone adjusting in the best of ways:). It lowers estrogen while increasing progesterone and testosterone and apparently in our society with all the zeto- estrogens from plastics that a big deal. Especially looking at cancer. As far as asking your doctor I would say that's barking up the wrong tree. The medicine cartel with their robotic doctors who subscribe from their daily memo wouldn't like anything to take away profits from the machine( sorry but I'm anti medical establishment:). Back to maca you have to find a good source that's of the ut most importance. We use maca pro- elite which is really really good. I hope this helps Smile Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:26 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |