Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Retin A drug effects time line?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mex0050
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
I found this website a few months ago which basically had a time line for retin a, like weeks ____ through _____ one is likely to experience flaking/purging. Then when it begins clearing up acne....and then when it finally begins showing up with lessening fine lines and wrinkles....which was like 9 months or something. Anyone have this info? I wanted to look at it again but now I can't find anywhere. Thanks a lot!
eastern spirit

Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
From reading on the web ( you need to confirm that). It takes up to a year to see results for wrinkles and up to 6 months to see some results for acne.

However, Retin A is a product for life. Most users who report amazing results from Retin A, has been using it for years in a regular basis.
Flossie30
5% products discount

Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
I just started using (generic) tretinoin and am curious about a timeline as well. So far I haven't had too many side effects--a little dryness and flakiness, but that's it. I use the lowest percentage, though (.025). So when exactly do most people start seeing positive results?
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
Me, too. I use the lowest % of 0.025% all over my face at night, and I find it to help my skin - seem to smooth it out. I don't see any fine lines or wrinkles on my skin. On top of retin a, I put avocado oil and that's it.
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
The product sheet that comes w/ my retin A micro states that it can take about 6-8 wks to BEGIN to see results. I've also had Dr.s tell me it can take up to 2 yrs to see results for anti-aging.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:19 am      Reply with quote
Are most people getting from a doctor or did you just go out there and get one yourself? I'm in the UK - London so got very little confidence in relyin on the overpressured NHS down here anyway..
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:12 am      Reply with quote
Bira wrote:
Me, too. I use the lowest % of 0.025% all over my face at night, and I find it to help my skin - seem to smooth it out. I don't see any fine lines or wrinkles on my skin. On top of retin a, I put avocado oil and that's it.

Hey Bira, how long did you take to see results? I'm just starting up with 0.025% Retin A
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:42 am      Reply with quote
I would guess that this is only an approximate timeline. For the majority of studies done on Retin A it was usually of a time frame of a year, and used nightly but I have since heard from a couple of derms that they encourage their patients to use it every other night and achieve the same results.

Re flaking and peeling, I think its impossible to guarantee what time that will appear for everyone, as things like environment (and humidity), hydration and other factors are also elements in when flaking will appear.
mex0050 wrote:
I found this website a few months ago which basically had a time line for retin a, like weeks ____ through _____ one is likely to experience flaking/purging. Then when it begins clearing up acne....and then when it finally begins showing up with lessening fine lines and wrinkles....which was like 9 months or something. Anyone have this info? I wanted to look at it again but now I can't find anywhere. Thanks a lot!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
where do you get retin a?? can you get it online, is it same to buy online for this??
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
chelsie wrote:
where do you get retin a?? can you get it online, is it same to buy online for this??

you can get it online at alldaychemist.com or inhousepharmacy.com
LAT
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:52 am      Reply with quote
I bought mine from inhouse pharmacy and had no problems, you can also get in from medsmex.
chelsie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
do you use this for moisturiser at night (face, neck and decolte) or is this just a treatment for a while??

what % did you order??
HeavenLeigh
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
I didn't like retin-A - I used it for a solid year, at first it caused a lot of itching and flaking. LOTS OF FLAKING I MEAN lol Smile and then the flaking went away...and I loved it at first because it seemed to give my skin a glow to it, and the acne went away.

But after a solid year of it, my skin was sensitive, thin and weak..made me skintone look more uneven too, sort of blotchy. And because of thinned skin, I started to get fine lines around my mouth area. Or rather, they looked more obvious because my skin was drier overall. And my eyes started to get some lines too. I thought I looked a bit older too, and I was horrified because my mom didn't even get fine lines until she was in her mid 40's (She is now 51, but looks early 40's or late 30's). Anyway, her advice was to stop peeling the skin, and instead look after it by eating really well and getting to bed early. That was her mantra, and it seemed to work.

I've stopped retin-A for 6 months now - and started another skincare...thank God my skin was restored, the fine lines near my eyes/cheekbones went away because the skin isn't as dry anymore. Laugh lines around my mouth disappeared too, as the skin restored its epidermal plumpness.

BUT don't get me wrong, I'm not against it overall. I know that retin-A does work for some people, I have heard that you may have less problems if you have thicker skin. My skin reacts to everything, lol..so maybe that's why retin-A wasn't suitable for me.

Just bear in mind that it does sensitize your skin to the sun, and even sunblock can't 100% protect your skin. Usually you'd get maybe 1-3% exposure that the sunblock was not able to cover..but retin-A might sensitize your skin so you get maybe an extra .5 or 1% (just randomly inserting figures here) exposure even with 30spf sunblocks..and this extra dose of UV exposure will still do some additional damage than if you didn't have sun-sensitized skin from retin-A. Does this make sense? Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
well that is good to know, I tried to order on like with those websie but it seems that they don't ship to Canada.
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:18 am      Reply with quote
HeavenLeigh wrote:
......I've stopped retin-A for 6 months now - and started another skincare......

Hi HeavenLeigh,

May you advise what it is.

Thx!
Vor
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:38 am      Reply with quote
Can you get permanent side effects from Retin-A?

HeavenLeigh wrote:
I've stopped retin-A for 6 months now - and started another skincare...thank God my skin was restored, the fine lines near my eyes/cheekbones went away because the skin isn't as dry anymore. Laugh lines around my mouth disappeared too, as the skin restored its epidermal plumpness.

You were lucky then. The wrinkles usually are rather slow to restore, if at all.
Your post has made me doubt in that powerful medication. My problem is wrinkles already, so if I'm risking with more wrinkles, there's no way I'm taking it.
Do doctors even describe it for wrinkle curing only? Is Retin-A just a healthy cream that's worth taking anyway to make your skin look better?

Thanks!
sophie123
5% products discount

Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
HeavenLeigh wrote:
I didn't like retin-A - I used it for a solid year, at first it caused a lot of itching and flaking. LOTS OF FLAKING I MEAN lol Smile and then the flaking went away...and I loved it at first because it seemed to give my skin a glow to it, and the acne went away.

But after a solid year of it, my skin was sensitive, thin and weak..made me skintone look more uneven too, sort of blotchy. And because of thinned skin, I started to get fine lines around my mouth area. Or rather, they looked more obvious because my skin was drier overall. And my eyes started to get some lines too. I thought I looked a bit older too, and I was horrified because my mom didn't even get fine lines until she was in her mid 40's (She is now 51, but looks early 40's or late 30's). Anyway, her advice was to stop peeling the skin, and instead look after it by eating really well and getting to bed early. That was her mantra, and it seemed to work.

BUT don't get me wrong, I'm not against it overall. I know that retin-A does work for some people, I have heard that you may have less problems if you have thicker skin. My skin reacts to everything, lol..so maybe that's why retin-A wasn't suitable for me.

Just bear in mind that it does sensitize your skin to the sun, and even sunblock can't 100% protect your skin. Usually you'd get maybe 1-3% exposure that the sunblock was not able to cover..but retin-A might sensitize your skin so you get maybe an extra .5 or 1% (just randomly inserting figures here) exposure even with 30spf sunblocks..and this extra dose of UV exposure will still do some additional damage than if you didn't have sun-sensitized skin from retin-A. Does this make sense? Smile
ive got the same prob,please tell me what ur new skincare regime was to get ur skin healthy again what products did u use please list them all i will be so greatful,desparately need help to reverse the damage-as im addicted to retin a
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
sophie123 wrote:
HeavenLeigh wrote:

ive got the same prob,please tell me what ur new skincare regime was to get ur skin healthy again what products did u use please list them all i will be so greatful,desparately need help to reverse the damage-as im addicted to retin a

Hi Sophie, I don't mean to speak for HeavenLeigh but thought you might like a quick answer. She now uses the 302 products, you can find her posts on both of the 302 threads on the Products forum.
sophie123
5% products discount

Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:22 am      Reply with quote
Very Happy but how do i buy the 302 products as the esp doesnt sell them and i dont know where else to buy them from, hate making fone calls for a product i think im speaking for a majority there,isnt there any way of ordering them online perhaps a link or something with prices, -
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:00 am      Reply with quote
The look of extra wrinkles is caused by dryness and if you can stick that phase of Retin-A out it does go away and the repair phase begins. I lessened the wrinkled dryer looking phase by switching from Retin-A to Renova which is more moisturizing than Retin-A and does not cause the older more wrinkled look you are all referring to.

Another way to avoid that wrinkled, dryer look is to go slower with the Retin-A. What your skin needs is moisture while it's getting used to Retin-A and using Renova instead really helps since it's much more emollient. You could also try using a more emollient cream on top of Retin-A just in the beginning while your skin is getting used to it also. I would not recommend using Renova if you are acne prone at all though.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:55 am      Reply with quote
HeavenLeigh wrote:

But after a solid year of it, my skin was sensitive, thin and weak.. And because of thinned skin, I started to get fine lines around my mouth area. Or rather, they looked more obvious because my skin was drier overall. And my eyes started to get some lines too. I thought I looked a bit older too,

I was so interested to read this. I have a thread going asking the question "my dermatologist recommends thinning the top layer of skin...'" and so far no one agrees with me that thinning the epidermis can have an ageing effect. But you noticed it with the Retin-A! I wonder if, because when you age, your epidermis (top layer) thickens so when you apply thinning products in your 50's it works better as there is a thicker layer to thin out. But if you do it while you still have younger skin, it's very detrimental. I'm much older than you at 41 but until recently had very young looking skin. I think I've ruined it now though in the space of just 4 months.
freedom37
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:13 am      Reply with quote
Hi, can I ask - when purchasing from alldaychemist.com - do they ask you to forward a prescription or do they not question it? Thanks
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:17 am      Reply with quote
No prescription required for retin a from alldaychemist freedom37.
freedom37
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:35 am      Reply with quote
Mishey wrote:
No prescription required for retin a from alldaychemist freedom37.

You are a life saver thanks! Very Happy
sophie123
5% products discount

Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:55 am      Reply with quote
does anyone know where i can sell my spare tubes of retinol a? i cant do it on ebay as they dont let u list prescription items,which is silly especially coz its a face cream and not a dangerous pill
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:08 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |