Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How to cope while on Obagi Nu derm ?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Blue skies
5% products discount

Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:30 am      Reply with quote
Okay, on week 3 on Obagi Nu derm and I am getting used to the flaming red face, peeling skin and generally looking red and puffy, but how come my lips feel and look as if they are sun-burnt? I do not put any of the products on my lips and try to keep a little distance when applying but this is almost worse than the redness! I have to put on Vaseline every 15 minutes for my lips not to dry up!

This Obagi Nu derm is not going to be easy Rolling Eyes

Any suggestions?

I am really happy with the result so far as the melasma on my upper lip has faded completely and the rest seems also to clear up, but OMG how difficult this is! And today I also have dry wrinkles under my eyes that I didn't have before ... They will go away, right ...?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:03 am      Reply with quote
Yes it will get better. For me it started to slowly get better around week 8. My skin especially around my eyes did look worse before it got better. I am so glad I went through it though. The improvments to my face and eye area were well worth the few weeks of looking bad.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:24 am      Reply with quote
Blueskies

Stick with it! My first 2 cycles on Obagi I looked like an 80 year old women because my skin was so shrivelled, especially around the mouth and the eyes.

I had the same problem with my mouth as well, and i remember at one stage I could not open my mouth very wide because it was so sore and tight and the skin kept cracking. But.....

28 weeks later I have skin that is stunning! I do not wear heavy make-up anymore (just a bit of blusher) and the side-effects that I experienced are just dim memories....

Just work through it its worth it.....
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:31 am      Reply with quote
Hi Lifecoach,
Did you do the Nuderm program for 28 weeks and then go on maintenance? I'm just curious about your time frame. I'm finishing up 20 weeks, but my plastic surgeon wants me to continue for another six.

Do you mind to share your maintenance routine? Also, are you only using Obagi products or have you been able to incorporate others?

Thanks!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:39 am      Reply with quote
Blue skies wrote:
Okay, on week 3 on Obagi Nu derm and I am getting used to the flaming red face, peeling skin and generally looking red and puffy, but how come my lips feel and look as if they are sun-burnt? I do not put any of the products on my lips and try to keep a little distance when applying but this is almost worse than the redness! I have to put on Vaseline every 15 minutes for my lips not to dry up!

This Obagi Nu derm is not going to be easy Rolling Eyes

Any suggestions

Hi Blue Skies,
Have you tried putting on vaseline or another lip protector prior to the Obagi products? Sounds like the products are migrating and vaseline might create a barrier.

Also, the awful lines below your eyes will go away. I had those too! As your skin acclimates to the products, your eye area will improve.

Obagi is a tough road, no doubt! Today, I'm dealing with some super red areas on my chin and jaw line -- almost like chafing. And I've been doing this for 20 weeks! Go figure...

I'm hoping to have an amazing outcome just like Lifecoach.

I am really happy with the result so far as the melasma on my upper lip has faded completely and the rest seems also to clear up, but OMG how difficult this is! And today I also have dry wrinkles under my eyes that I didn't have before ... They will go away, right ...?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
Blue skies wrote:
but how come my lips feel and look as if they are sun-burnt? I do not put any of the products on my lips and try to keep a little distance when applying but this is almost worse than the redness! I have to put on Vaseline every 15 minutes for my lips not to dry up!

Blue Skies, try to put Aquaphor on your lips before applying the products (and in the corners of your mouth). That will help with your lip problem.
lifecoach
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Hi Lifecoach,
Did you do the Nuderm program for 28 weeks and then go on maintenance? I'm just curious about your time frame. I'm finishing up 20 weeks, but my plastic surgeon wants me to continue for another six.

Do you mind to share your maintenance routine? Also, are you only using Obagi products or have you been able to incorporate others?

Thanks!!

Yes, i completed 28 weeks and then went onto maintenance. I had quite dark scar marks that did not disappear within the 20 week timeframe.

Now, I use the whole Obagi range 3-4 times per week and then the other days I use Gatineau.

Everyones skin is different so you may find once finished that you only need to use Obagi twice a week to maintain the skin that you have achieved.

Make sure you check out the many Obagi posts - their is a wealth of in-depth information in them.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
Lifecoach,
Thanks! I'm looking forward to maintenance and I know it will be a bit of trial and error to find out what will work for me. I just know that I DO NOT want the pigmentation issues to come back!!

Although, I'm hoping to look more "normal" as well. Even with this many weeks into the program, I'm still red and flaky much of the time. And on top of that, my skin is more oily than before! It's a strange combination. Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
lifecoach wrote:
and then the other days I use Gatineau.

Lifecoach, how is the Gatineau and what products are you using from that line?
lifecoach
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:59 am      Reply with quote
Hi Rileygirl

I use the Defi-lift range.

I use the Design Concentrate, the performance cream and their eyecare.

http://search.qvcuk.com/QVCUK/Search.ff?query=defi-lift&cm_re=PAGE-_-SEARCH-_-SEARCH

I am in the process of losing 6 stone and the obagi along with the above range should keep my face from sagging.

Their eyecare has made my eyes less "hoody" and the design concentrate has toned my jawline even more where Obagi left off.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:50 am      Reply with quote
lifecoach wrote:
Their eyecare has made my eyes less "hoody" and the design concentrate has toned my jawline even more where Obagi left off.

Those results sound great, lifecoach! Thanks for sharing. How low did you use the products before you got those results (which are exactly what I am looking for!)?
lifecoach
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:33 am      Reply with quote
For me about 8 weeks. At first I did not notice anything, but my sister said that i did not have that tired eye look and my jawline was looking better.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:27 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, lifecoach!
Carly

Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
I am red and itching on my chin and around my nose/mouth. I also have blemishes popping up that I never had before using Obagi. I also have more lines under my eyes than I had two weeks ago, before I started the regimen. I know the Obagi is working, because something is happening and my face is beginning to look 'stripped.' But in three weeks I don't want to look dry, shriveled and burnt for my class reunion! Should I quit now and heal and then start up again after the reunion or keep going and hope to look beautiful in three weeks? I need the advice of someone who's been through this.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Carly wrote:
I am red and itching on my chin and around my nose/mouth. I also have blemishes popping up that I never had before using Obagi. I also have more lines under my eyes than I had two weeks ago, before I started the regimen. I know the Obagi is working, because something is happening and my face is beginning to look 'stripped.' But in three weeks I don't want to look dry, shriveled and burnt for my class reunion! Should I quit now and heal and then start up again after the reunion or keep going and hope to look beautiful in three weeks? I need the advice of someone who's been through this.

Stop the products now and then restart the Nu Derm when your reunion is over. You will still be red, flaking, etc., etc., in 3 weeks.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:43 am      Reply with quote
***Bumping*** to check on Blue Skies and Carly. Just wanting to see how you guys are doing with Nuderm?? Hope it's going well...will look for your post! Smile

5% products discount

Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Kims Very Happy I have had a mini break from Nu derm (1.5 days off) as my vanity got the better of me this weekend when away with my family Embarassed I just couldn't stand being bright red anymore! But now I am back on, starting week 5 - hoping the break has not slowed things to much down ... ?

I have also started with Obagi C serum - hoping that will add benefits to the program.

But sunscreens are difficult, I just received Nia 24 SPF 30 and it is impossible to use, at least while my skin is in this condition, as it just leaves white cracks across my face, and the same result with the Obagi sun screen - haven't tried the sunfader yet as I have heard that it stings! At present Lancaster SPF 30 works well, but I suspect it is a chemical sunscreen and not physical. Does anyone know?

The good thing is that the melasma has faded extremely well, nothing left on my forehead or upper lip Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Blue Skies,
Sounds like you're having great results in a really short amount of time. I, too, took some time off with Obagi over the summer for vacations. Didn't want to be red and peely either. I don't think it hurt my progress one bit.

I actually had good luck using the Obagi sunscreen and the NIA24 (which I use now.) I like the Sunfader too, but it's only spf 15 and I thought I needed something higher.

Sunscreens are tricky for me. Even though I'm currently using NIA24, I think it makes my face too greasy -- and I'm oily enough already.

The quest never ends!! Good luck and stay posted. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
Last week, I started the whole Obagi system (minus Step #5 Blender with Retin-A-; can't stand Retin-A on my skin).

I am hoping the skin will look good and go quicker than the first purging phase (8 weeks).

For a year and a half, I didn't do Obagi since I was scared that my skin would get worse before it got better, but now my skin can't get any worse, so why not try the system! What do I have to lose?

Keep us informed on your progress! Good Luck!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Skitahoe,
What issues with your skin are you hoping to address with Nuderm? Hope things are going well so far and welcome to the club! Will look for your posts!

Take Care.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kim!

I love this board. It's magical. Very Happy

My reason for starting the Obagi program is:

1. get rid of acne (I break out easily- banish those breakouts!)
2. eliminate/ reduce brown spots (hyperpigmentation)
3. diminish redness

I hope I like my results!

I'm on week 2 and I haven't peeled once yet. My skin is oily, sensitive, and acne prone. I am fair.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:48 am      Reply with quote
Hi Skitahoe,
Since you're not using retin a, you may not have as much peeling and redness. Have you ever tried the lower percent (0.025%)?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,
I am about to start the Nu-Derm system and have few questions that I am hoping that someone that has used this system will be able to answer. I have been using Retin-A for about 2 months now. Do you think I will still get super red and peel using Nu-Derm? Can you continue to go to work while using this system? It sounds like your face goes to heck for weeks at a time. Thanks a bunch for your help as I am a bit scared to start this system as I am a chicken when it comes to pain. Getting used to the Retin-A was a challenge for me. Embarassed
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
Y34963 wrote:
Hi everyone,
I am about to start the Nu-Derm system and have few questions that I am hoping that someone that has used this system will be able to answer. I have been using Retin-A for about 2 months now. Do you think I will still get super red and peel using Nu-Derm? Can you continue to go to work while using this system? It sounds like your face goes to heck for weeks at a time. Thanks a bunch for your help as I am a bit scared to start this system as I am a chicken when it comes to pain. Getting used to the Retin-A was a challenge for me. Embarassed

Since you've been using retin a for a couple of months now, it's my understanding that it helps the skin in preparation for the Nuderm. Your skin should acclimate to the new products a bit faster. I would still expect redness and peeling -- especially for the first six weeks. I think most people continue to work while on Nuderm, but I do know that there are days when you feel like you're not looking your best! My face got red and chafed but I never felt like I was "in pain."

Before you start, try to do as much research as you can about the system and what you might expect. This forum is a great place to start! Do a search on Obagi (as a topic) and spend some time reading the threads when you get a chance. Good Luck! Will look for your posts! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
I STARTED WK 4, THIS WK., I HAVE HAD TO TAKE A DAY OFF HERE AND THERE, IF I DO THE CLEAR, FORTE, DAY, THEN BLENDER, RENOVA NIGHT MORE THAN 5 NIGHTS IN A ROW, I LOOK WEIRD, !!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:14 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |