Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
condition only hair washing
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
I started CO (conditioner only) hair washing about 2 weeks ago.
So far so good....I have heard it takes weeks (months?) for hair to adjust and scalp to produce the right amount of oils etc....right now my hair is looking a lot more glossy...I have also heard it stops hair from shedding as much....
I have very fine curly hair and dry skin. It just seemed crazy to wash my hair with soapy products...and it seemed my scalp was over compensating by making more oil than probably necessary...
I am using natural conditions for added volume. I want to make sure there isnt any silicone in the conditioner ..and seeing as I am massaging it in my scalp I dont want any nasty chemicals.
I rinse my scalp while gently massaging it under running water (in the shower) then apply a lot of conditioner in my hand and massage that in my scalp for a few minutes. Then I do the usual brush teeth shave legs etc then after at least 8 minutes I give a final massage and rinse it all out. I was surprised that it left my hair squeaky clean!
I want to keep this up forever!!!!!
The conditioner I am using at the moment is EO for fine hair with rosemary. I am about to try kiss my face organic .....
I guess I am hoping for more growth lusher hair and better condition (which is already starting)
I would love to hear about experiences with CO ...how long does it take for hair to look better how long before hair adjusts (I have heard some women take a long time and have to tie their hair up while waiting)
WCSmurfette
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:42 am      Reply with quote
I am doing a similar thing myself. I am currently using Avalon Organics, Moisturizing Conditioner (Olive and Grape Seed) and Kiss My Face, Obsessively Organic, Big Body Conditioner, Lavender & Chamomile, to wash my hair with, like the WEN conditioning cleansers.

I wanted to use something that had no silicones at all in it, and especially no polymers, and was more "natural". I chose those two conditioners, just to see how they would work, and they are easily obtainable at my local drug store.

So far, I like them. I have a dry, flaky scalp, and it is helping to lessen that, my scalp is less oily, and the hair is well conditioned, but not weighed down.

I think the biggest trick to using any conditioner, as a cleanser, is to rinse the hair and scalp very well after cleansing, finding a conditioner or blend of conditioners that are appropriate for your hair and scalp type, and to make sure there are no or minimal barrier ingredients, like, silicones, polymers, and heavy waxes.

The WEN cleansing conditioners have a bit of silicone in them and I don't think that is necessary or especially good for the scalp or follicles because they don't entirely rinse out and leave a coating on the scalp.
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:29 am      Reply with quote
thats the conditioner I am ordering..the kiss my face one...! I love the sound of it!
Yeah I was inspired by WEN but thought it was kind of pricey .... I am gathering info on the net and so far I have learned that just like using WEN the more you use the better and the longer you leave it in the better...which seems to be working....I dont use much styling product so I think it should work quite well...Weird that WEN uses silicones...
My hair is still a little lank and slightly oily between shampoos (I wash every other day) I am hoping that my hair will start to stay cleaner longer....fingers crossed
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:28 am      Reply with quote
ok 5 months later and I have to update...
my hair is well really becoming AMAZING! I havent had hair like this since I cant remember when.
Now I have started taking acai and brevail tablets (lignan)...so that could also have an effect ......(been taking both for 2 months now)
My hair is fine and would get a cow lick easily (VERY annoying) just wouldnt grow... flat in winter.. thinner than it probably should be (in terms of amount of hair)(and have a cyst on my ovaries which affects hair growth)...well thats ALL changed. Since CO washing I finally found the perfect regime . (I almost gave up because my head became soo itchy) I use baking soda to wash my scalp with . I keep some in a jar in the bathroom then dip my fingers in and start to massage it in my scalp...I do this till I have washed my scalp then rinse. THEN I massage a generous amount of conditioner in my scalp and hair and leave that in for a min of 5 min then rinse thoroughly then follow with a small amount of apple cider vinegar in a liter of water which I leave in. I am soooo happy ...my hair stays clean longer is thicker fuller and is growing ......
honestly I really dont remember when I thought 'I love my hair'...
but I really do now.....
Alien
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:52 am      Reply with quote
Is this recommended for short hair as well?
I have thick, straight and very soft hair. Thus it doesn't style well without a lot of glop to hold it. And where i used to wash my hair every other day-and at night. I now can't think of leaving the house in the morning without..

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
Alien wrote:
I have thick, straight and very soft hair. Thus it doesn't style well without a lot of glop to hold it. And where i used to wash my hair every other day-and at night. I now can't think of leaving the house in the morning without..

Any hair type can CO wash.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
I just started CO washing a couple weeks ago. I'm using Suave Coconut conditioner. Its totally awesome.
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
Alien wrote:

My hair only ever looked ok on the day I washed...then the next day I had to tie it up and wash without fail on the 3rd ...now it looks great the second day (down) and I can tie it up 3rd AND even 4th day without washing.....amazing...I think the baking soda has a lot to do with it .....so much cleaner than when I used shampoo.......
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:13 am      Reply with quote
Gee I couldnt imagine my hair would like this, I get very oily at the roots and I only wash 2-3 times a week.
Great to see it all working for you guys though:)
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:10 am      Reply with quote
pal wrote:
Gee I couldnt imagine my hair would like this, I get very oily at the roots and I only wash 2-3 times a week.

You might be surprised. I get oily at the roots too but my hair is not any oilier then when I used shampoo. Supposedly as you continue to CO your scalp should produce oil...we'll see.....
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
pal wrote:

You might be surprised. I get oily at the roots too but my hair is not any oilier then when I used shampoo. Supposedly as you continue to CO your scalp should produce oil...we'll see.....

Well I must agree, whats the worst that could happen I just wash my hair with shampoo the next day. I am curious now, I might just give it a go this weekend, as long as my brains not on autopoliet. Smile
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
pal wrote:

Well I must agree, whats the worst that could happen I just wash my hair with shampoo the next day. I am curious now, I might just give it a go this weekend, as long as my brains not on autopoliet. Smile

I also want to say that on my non-wash day (I was every other day) that I do use a dry shampoo (oscar blandi). But I used this when I was using shampoo too.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Annachan - that is very interesting. I've never known anyone to wash with baking soda. I do like the ACV rinse aspect and try to do this most of the time. At least it's natural.

I've used WEN for CO but I alternate it in every third time as I feel like I need to use a shampoo (sulfate free preferably) to clean everything! And I tend to have dry hair - plus the old hair/skin ADD kicks in and you want to try everything!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
pal wrote:

I also want to say that on my non-wash day (I was every other day) that I do use a dry shampoo (oscar blandi). But I used this when I was using shampoo too.

Thanks GirlieGirl... I havent actually have a dry shampoo as yet, but if this non shampoo wash works well for me I will go and get this one. Smile
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Annachan - that is very interesting. I've never known anyone to wash with baking soda. I do like the ACV rinse aspect and try to do this most of the time. At least it's natural.

I've used WEN for CO but I alternate it in every third time as I feel like I need to use a shampoo (sulfate free preferably) to clean everything! And I tend to have dry hair - plus the old hair/skin ADD kicks in and you want to try everything!

I had searched the net for a way to reduce the scalp itchies...
then stumbled across the baking soda wash....it is the BEST!

seriously squeaky clean and baking soda balances ph too......am really happy happy this is working so well...never want to be without BS...cond...and ACV!!!!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
Do you make a paste up first and then focus it into the scalp? I know there are some baking soda's out there that don't have aluminum in them and they are supposed to be a better way to go. One brand is Bob's Red Mill. The standard Arm & Hammer brand does have aluminum in it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:01 am      Reply with quote
I am conflicted about the CO method..but maybe the baking soda cleaner will resolve that. For the past year I've been only shampooing my hair about once every 3 wks...but i've also been using the Lasermaxx which requires shampooing in advance of each treatment, consequently I was shampooing just a section of my scalp on the top of my head (where the hairloss is most prevalent) and was doing that 3 times a wk. Now at best, I am using the Lazermaxx about once a week. I'll try the baking soda for that spot treatment. I can't say that my hair is in better condition since I eliminated the whole head shampooing routine (which I only used to do once a week.) My main focus is on minimizing hair loss--which seems to have decreased a little.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:53 am      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
.... My main focus is on minimizing hair loss--which seems to have decreased a little.

I noticed I loose significantly less hair when I CO vs shampoo (SLS free or regular).
WhiteWolf
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
I've been doing this for awhile too, love it! I'm using a few Giovanni conditioners and next month (after payday), I'm going to try some Aveda. Whenever my hair feels icky, I do a shampoo but gently, I barely even rub it in. That seems to work fine. Yay for CO! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
mountaingirl wrote:
.... My main focus is on minimizing hair loss--which seems to have decreased a little.

I noticed I loose significantly less hair when I CO vs shampoo (SLS free or regular).

This really gets my interest!! I might actually try this for a two week period to see if thats makes a difference to me. Thanks for sharing this info GirlieGirl. Smile
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
pal wrote:
GirlieGirl wrote:

This really gets my interest!! I might actually try this for a two week period to see if thats makes a difference to me. Thanks for sharing this info GirlieGirl. Smile

Yes it was a 'side effect' that I did not expect. I dont know why but I noticed a big difference in the hair in the drain (sorry, gross I know). I spend more time massaging the conditioner into my scalp and hair then I did with shampoo.
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
yeah ...my hair is thicker and much less hair loss...I dont think our scalps were meant to be stripped for years and years...probably when we are younger it can recover faster but not so anymore...its like wearing gloves when dishwashing....when I do my nails are glorious strong and grow like mad when I dont they become brittle and break easily...and thats from doing dishes with a mild sulfate free liquid....why would we subject our scalps to that abuse?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:25 am      Reply with quote
I hope my hair will be a little thicker over time. I was really surprised to see hardly any fall out after CO washing. It makes the amount I was loosing before scary.
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
pal wrote:
GirlieGirl wrote:

Yes it was a 'side effect' that I did not expect. I dont know why but I noticed a big difference in the hair in the drain (sorry, gross I know). I spend more time massaging the conditioner into my scalp and hair then I did with shampoo.

I just never knew this could be a positive with CO. I will be doing this for the first time today so I will be sure to condition and massage my scalp which I was a bit confused on.
I will let you all know how it goes and Im praying to see less hair in the drain to. Laughing
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
pal wrote:

I just never knew this could be a positive with CO. I will be doing this for the first time today so I will be sure to condition and massage my scalp which I was a bit confused on.
I will let you all know how it goes and Im praying to see less hair in the drain to. Laughing

Good luck! Be sure to use a basic conditioner free off silicone. CO washing take a bit longer then regular washing. Its important to massage (aka: wash) the conditioner into your scalp for to clean and then leave it on a few minutes longer, then rinse and rinse again.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:03 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |