Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Anhydrous Vitamin C recipe?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
ricayhermosa
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
Have any ladies here invented an anhygrous Vitamin C recipe, like SkinMedica C complex?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:28 am      Reply with quote
Here is a link to one site with a posted recipe:

http://www.bulkactives.com/formulations/doublec.htm

HTH
DM
I just googled DIY recipe for anhydrous vitamin C skin care

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:33 am      Reply with quote
Oh thanks DM.

I found another recipe on MUA: http://makeupalley.com/m_97487513
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:45 am      Reply with quote
You are welcome. Let us know how it works and which one you make. I would be interested in your review!
Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
I know some people use Monistat Gel as the base for anhydrous vitamin C.
TTD
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
I would like to know how it goes too so update please!! Very Happy
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
Uuhhhh Skipie if this sounds stupid sorry, the only Monistat I know of is the cream and suppositories for dreaded yeast infection.....are people using this and if so I didn't know of a gel formula??

Please enlighten if you are laughing as you read this well I am getting a chuckle writing it. But people do some strange things..... Preparation H for eye bags.

TIA Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
It's the monistat chafing gel, DarkMoon. A lot of people use the gel as a primer. And you're right - people do some strange things. Smile
ricayhermosa
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
I think I'll give the MUA recipe a try first. Will definitely update you guys on the result!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
Wow,
you learn something new every day, I think I would have to pass on that as well. To each his/her own. I am sorry I can't resist this does crack me up. Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
ANHYDROUS VITAMIN C (THDA) 7%

- 7% Tetrahexyldecly Ascorbate
- 1% Vitamin E Oil
- 92% Monistat Chafing Relief Powder Gel

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=139254&catid=26832

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
I am almost speechless thinking about this almost but what pops into my head would probably get me into trouble. I like the Forum too much to post the things flashing through my brain.

I will thank you for my "laugh of the day"

not being judgemental just extremely amused.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
I am almost speechless thinking about this almost but what pops into my head would probably get me into trouble. I like the Forum too much to post the things flashing through my brain.

Just think of it as "Dimethicone", and it will push all the other stuff right out of your head.. Laughing Laughing Laughing

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
I am just glad you didn't tell me people were using this in lip care recipes My mind would really go to some strange yet amusing places! Especially if it was for plumping!!!

Rona Bad Grin

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
The Monistat C Serum is what I plan to make next. Kassy's right, look at what it is made of..Dimethicone...common ingredient in face products.

Not a stretch for me at this point anyway, I've started using estrogel (meant for vaginal use) on my face. Reportedly this can help with wrinkles for post-menopausal women.

Yucky you think? Well... when you think about what tissues these products are designed for... how gentle would they be on your face? Hmm.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
I know a lot of gyno's give women estrogen cream for the face. I even thought about it years back. I wasn't trying to offend, just a bit of fun included in question as I honestly never have seen the "gel" for sale!
Loads of people think my DIY thing is crazy as well.
If we can't poke a bit of fun in the mix it gets a bit too serious.

JMHO
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
I'm always up for a good laugh.. Besides, we look so much prettier with the corners of our mouths turned up.. Laughing

Live, love + laugh till your sides hurt... that's my motto!

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:56 am      Reply with quote
Kasey, Llucy,
Glad you understand, with what is going on in my life humor is my only saving grace, without it I think we would all go mad, or turn into one of those shrivelled up prune faced mean old people! I don't ever want to go there!!
I get the whole post menopause thing only too well, 15+ years, happened at 40, I love wild chin hairs ect.
Last week I thought I had a HUGE blackhead in my left eyebrow, got a little nuts and squeezed, well it was a hair only it was about 4/5 times as thick as a normal eyebrow. Plucked it and had a beautiful little sore up there for most of the week!
Now please feel free to have a good chuckle on me. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:23 am      Reply with quote
I have always been concerned about the use of silicones as a carrier base for Vitamin C.

Siliones are used in products such as the anti-chafing gel to form a barrier on top of the skin. This barrier is designed to *prevent penetration* of any ingredients into the skin.

How would the C in a silicone base permeate the stratum corneum?

I realize Skinmedica uses a silicone base in its product, but when I contacted them they would not release of the details of how their product is able to penetrate the skin, claiming proprietary rights to the data, presumably they are concerned about people copying their privately developed formula, which they claim is a sort of "dermal patch".

Would love to see any feedback on this.

BF
ricayhermosa
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:23 am      Reply with quote
Some cones, such as cyclomethicone, evaporate immediately upon the touch of skin. Cyclomethicone actually acts as an excellent carrier to deliver actives.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:32 am      Reply with quote
Do you have a reference for that info on Cyclomethicone? It is contrary to everything I've read and Cyclomethicone is even a primary ingredient in a product called "body armor" - designed to prevent substances from penetrating the skin.

The Monistat gel is comprised of Dimethicone.

BF
ammoniasmith
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
I believe that the Vitamin C enters the skin through contact with the skin and moisture. Not that the Dimethicone helps it to penetrate. Dr. G. Todorov wrote an article on that.

http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/topical/
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
Very interesting read, thanks for the link. Now after my honest to goodness chuckle where do you find the monistat gel???? I swear with 2 daughters and myself I have had the occasion to purchase Monistst but have not seen the gel. At the price I would get rid of hyperpigmentation everywhere!
Did I just overlook it Walgreens, CVS.

TIA

if my spelling is off, sleep deprivation does such wonderful things to the brain!!
I will check out Kasey's recipe if I can find the gel!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
If you search that board, you will see that I asked Dr. Todorov the same question.

To my recollection, it is the only post of mine that he has never responded to. I wondered whether it might be that the question raised an issue he did not want to go into.

Skinmedica apparently uses a proprietary process to overcome this hurdle.

If I could make an effective anhydrous C formula at home, I would have been doing that for the past 2 years, instead of doing what I have been doing (buying Skinmedica C or making my own water based serum).

BF
ammoniasmith
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
I don't believe there is any proprietary ingredients in the Skinmedica C to increase penetration. Does anyone know what that ingredient is? I believe that they do include the oil-soluble Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate which would readily pass through into the skin. I just bought that form of Vitamin C but it is rather pricey!

I think it was the proprietor of BulkActives (John) who had discussed the penetration of Ascorbic Acid through skin contact and moisture cause I can't find the source anymore but for some reason that sticks out in my mind. Also that there is a larger concentration of Ascorbic Acid in the recipe possibly to increase the likelihood of passing into the skin. I noticed the study mentioned by Dr. Todorov uses 20 to 25% of Ascorbic Acid which is quite high.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:13 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |