Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Applying mascara
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:13 am      Reply with quote
I'm interested in hearing tips from anyone about how to apply mascara successfully. I have a couple I'll start with:

- Don't just pull the wand out of the tube - slowly twirl it out. This will get rid of some of the excess mascara.

- If there's still excess mascara on the wand, wipe the excess off on a piece of wax paper. DO NOT USE TISSUE - the little fuzzies will accumulate in the mascara over time and make it thick and gloopy.

- I haven't tried this one, but I heard that you should dampen your lashes before applying mascara. You can do that with an old toothbrush or a mascara spoolie.
sussy

Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
Don't pump in and out of the bottle.... it introduces air and places bacteria can grow.
samplelover
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:12 am      Reply with quote
If you use a Eyelash Curler, (metal one not the plastic one), you can heat it up with a hair dryer for a few minutes. It will curl your lash well. When you apply the mascara, You can apply it in a "Z" direction. It helps to coat the lashes well.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
I always use a Primer it conditions and adds length and fullness.
I brush any clumps with a HARD bristled tooth brush between coats and before applying anything to separate lashes before.
I use a curler not heated mine stay curled just fine without added heat.
I wiggle a bit at the bases but from there up I just sweep it up to tips.
I have one no no I do if my Mascara is getting a wee tad dry I add sterile eye-drops to it and blend it with the brush. I know not supposed to add anything to it but I figure if they are safe enough to put directly in my eyes it can't hurt.
I also add just a tiny amount of pure silk powder to mine as it stregnthens lashes and adds more legnth to lashes.
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
I basically follow directions of Blinc Kiss me mascara:

APPLYING: You apply blinc's kiss me just like a regular mascara. It is important that you do not use conditioners, lotions, etc... before applying the mascara. Kiss Me requires a dry, clean surface in order to adhere properly to your lashes. It takes Kiss Me about 2 minutes to set and begin forming the tiny "tubes" around your lashes. Do not let it set before applying another coat in order to build...keep adding coats until you are satisfied with the volume, length and degree of lash separation before Kiss Me mascara sets. Once it sets, you can no longer build.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/kiss-me-ultra-volume-masc-p_7380.htm

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:44 am      Reply with quote
I always apply the upper eyelashes first. Otherwise they lower eyelashes tend to tangle together with the brush/upper eyelashes, when I apply them.

That's the opposite of what the make-up girl in the store told me. The best thing regarding to her, is to apply the lower lashes first. But, I have small eyes, so maybe that technique works better for bigger eyes..

If i got to much mascara one the brush, I DONT wipe it of, that would be a big waste of money. I just stroke the brush to the side of the tube, trying not to pump any air into it.

Sara, 36 Swedish. Brunette, brown eyes. Fair sensitive reactive skin, no wrinkles(yet), enlarged pores, some broken caps and get easily sunspots. Oily but dry skin. Ten months with Tretionin 0,025% gel PM, Vita C AM - SC Phloratin and Freulic. Use DeCleor and Dr H right now.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:40 am      Reply with quote
Sara,
I always apply my upper lashes first as well I think on that it is really a personal preference!
Years ago when I was kid free and carefree, I had a cosmology license a friend of mine and I used to do wedding parties he did every one's hair and I did every one's make up from the young bride to the Grandmother of bride and groom. I always did apply the upper lashes first. I also go against what many makeup artists think, I apply mascara before any other eye makeup that way I don't have to deal with cleaning boo boos off and reapplying liner shadow ect.

Just my way of doing things!
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:11 am      Reply with quote
Great tips!!

I've heard that you shouldn't apply mascara to your lower lashes but I'd look really funny without.
Vanilj
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:30 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
I also go against what many makeup artists think, I apply mascara before any other eye makeup that way I don't have to deal with cleaning boo boos off and reapplying liner shadow ect.

Just my way of doing things!
DM

Interesting. Don't you think its much easier to get the eyeliner right, before you apply the mascara. I mean, the mascara are rock hard and doesn't adjust at all, and with a curl its even harder to apply the eyeliner..I would think, I always apply my eyeliner with my eyes opened, almost the hole time. And the shadows tend to powder down on the lashes, and the deep black wouldn't be so deep anymore with some dust on it.. To cope with residue that falls down from the eyeshadow, i apply an extra layer of loose powder right under the eyes, and then wipe it of with a brush, when the shadow makeup are done, and then apply the mascara.

Sara, 36 Swedish. Brunette, brown eyes. Fair sensitive reactive skin, no wrinkles(yet), enlarged pores, some broken caps and get easily sunspots. Oily but dry skin. Ten months with Tretionin 0,025% gel PM, Vita C AM - SC Phloratin and Freulic. Use DeCleor and Dr H right now.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:32 am      Reply with quote
I have been doing it this way since I was 13 and started wearing makeup, I don't have a problem with eyeliner I apply very carefully and lightly. As for any powder eyeshadow included I blow any excess off my brush and I find it only goes where I want to apply it.
It just works for me 43 years and counting!

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
I'm all for getting a formulation with a really teeny tiny brush with short bristles, so I can get close to the (blonde) base of my lashes without smearing the stuff all over my lids. For me the applicator makes ALL the difference. Too Faced and Clinique both make decent formulations with tiny brushes.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie,
I am right there with you on the lower lashes, I look really odd with long black top lashes and invisable bottoms LOL
I have always used mascara on both and can't imagine I will ever change!

DM

Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:46 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |