Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Please Critique My Regimen -
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
It's all becoming clear to me now - the links between wounding/scarring/healing/collagen, etc.

Care to share what has become clear to you? Very Happy
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
Barefoot, I'm not sure whether your thinking on the inflammation from Retin-A is correct. I have a very good paper on Retin-A written by Dr Kligman but I can't post it because it's on a USB in a different format to that of my laptop, and I'm travelling at the moment and only have the laptop. I'll sort it out at some stage and post it later on.

But essentially, what Dr Kligman says is that the irritation is only an initial reaction and the skin will eventually adapt. He also says that there is no extra sun sensitivity with Retin-A after the skin has become used to it, so this also sorts itself out with continued use. I have to say that this has been my experience - after one year's use, I have no reaction to Retin-A at all, no irritation, no peeling.

I agree with your thinking that it's better to use Retin-A than Retinol - if you're going to use Vitamin A, you might as well go for the "Big Gun".

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu,

Almost 3 months ago I started using Taz gel (0.05%) for 2 weeks but found that it made my face irritated a lot: serious burning sensation, everything that I put on my face, except tap water, caused my skin burn. I believe I had used the gel more than a pea sized amount. Then I stopped.

After one month, I picked it up again; this time I used Taz cream (0.1%). I started it very slow & used it after a moisturizer, from every 3 days, to every other day and then every day.

Nevertheless, I do find that my skin do have a burning sensation on-and-off (like once every 7-8 days); given such reaction, I stop Taz and use jojoba oil to reduce the burning sensation. Once the burning sensation is gone, I use Taz again.

What do you think about my reaction of Taz? Have I been "retinized"? Is it normal? Should I keep using Taz even I get burning sensation?

Kindly shed light of this kind of inflammation.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Summer - believe me, I am no expert on all this - and everyone's skin acts so differently. However, I do know that a gel formulation tends to be stronger than a cream. I discovered this when I switched from a 0.1% cream to a 0.1% gel and my skin became extremely dry and peely.

Actually, 0.1% is the strongest percentage - they don't even sell it here in Australia because of our hot climate. The weakest percentage is 0.25% then 0.05% (which is what I use at the moment). BTW, I'm talking about Renova Retin-A here, Tazorac might be different.

If I were you I'd switch to using the 0.25% cream and see how you go with that. HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:09 am      Reply with quote
I've been using Retin A for coming up on 4 years and my skin still gets irritated if I use it daily - who knows why, so I let my skin guide me in my use of products - if I feel discomfort or too much peeling, I throttle back.

Sunscreen is like a religion for me, lol.

BF
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:14 am      Reply with quote
On wounding/healing/collagen:

After all my reading, I finally saw the link between wounds to skin caused by accidents or surgery and the wounds we intentionally create through procedures such as laser, microneedling, chemical peels and some fillers:

They all involve regeneration of the skin which involves new collagen formation.

When we practice these rejuvenation procedures, we intentionally wound our skin in a way that improves it without creating scars.

...so whenever you read something about the skin healing from an accidental injury, you can make a link to what we are doing to see if any new and helpful information can be applied.

BF
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
On wounding/healing/collagen:

After all my reading, I finally saw the link between wounds to skin caused by accidents or surgery and the wounds we intentionally create through procedures such as laser, microneedling, chemical peels and some fillers:

They all involve regeneration of the skin which involves new collagen formation.

When we practice these rejuvenation procedures, we intentionally wound our skin in a way that improves it without creating scars.

...so whenever you read something about the skin healing from an accidental injury, you can make a link to what we are doing to see if any new and helpful information can be applied.

BF

That makes a ton of sense! Thanks for sharing that, BFgirl.
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu,

Thx for your reply!
*mirjana*
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I agree with your thinking that it's better to use Retin-A than Retinol - if you're going to use Vitamin A, you might as well go for the "Big Gun".

Hello,
my first post here - and sorry for all future mistakes in English (I am Croatian) Rolling Eyes

I am 44 years old and planning to use Retin A - as far as I understood retinol is milder than retin. I am using ROC retin-ox cream for some time - could it be counted in adjusting time for my skin?
Maybe some side-effects of retin will be diminished for me because of that?

Few years ago I used some ROC's retinols cream and I have problems with my skin which are typical for adjusting period - but than I didn't know nothing about it.

Now - I don't feel nothing of this side-effects, maybe in this product retinol is much more buffered with moisturiser.
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
*mirjana* wrote:
Keliu wrote:

Hello,
my first post here - and sorry for all future mistakes in English (I am Croatian) Rolling Eyes

I am 44 years old and planning to use Retin A - as far as I understood retinol is milder than retin. I am using ROC retin-ox cream for some time - could it be counted in adjusting time for my skin?
Maybe some side-effects of retin will be diminished for me because of that?

Few years ago I used some ROC's retinols cream and I have problems with my skin which are typical for adjusting period - but than I didn't know nothing about it.

Now - I don't feel nothing of this side-effects, maybe in this product retinol is much more buffered with moisturiser.

Hi and welcome mirjana,

I think using a retinol product can help prepare your skin for Retin A but you will probably experience some additional irritation at first that will go away in time.
*mirjana*
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:47 am      Reply with quote
jom wrote:

Hi and welcome mirjana,

I think using a retinol product can help prepare your skin for Retin A but you will probably experience some additional irritation at first that will go away in time.

Thanks for answering - and just one more quick question - can I cover redness with make up foundation, in fact is it possible to use make makeup during the adjustment period?
I am working girl and it will not be possible to me to come to work with face in pieces Cool
I will try to go on with that really slow - to avoid most of the irritation.

I found in some Retin A guide that is possible to make peeling in the morning (with some gentle peelings) after using Retin A in the evening - to speed up process - is that correct?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:54 am      Reply with quote
*mirjana* wrote:
Thanks for answering - and just one more quick question - can I cover redness with make up foundation, in fact is it possible to use make makeup during the adjustment period?
I am working girl and it will not be possible to me to come to work with face in pieces Cool
I will try to go on with that really slow - to avoid most of the irritation.

There is absolutely no problem with wearing makeup as long as it is moisturising.

[/quote]I found in some Retin A guide that is possible to make peeling in the morning (with some gentle peelings) after using Retin A in the evening - to speed up process - is that correct?[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by this. Your skin may start to peel after using the Retin A but you can exfoliate it gently with a microfiber cloth in the morning before applying your makeup.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:52 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

Not sure what you mean by this. Your skin may start to peel after using the Retin A but you can exfoliate it gently with a microfiber cloth in the morning before applying your makeup.

Yes, that's what I asking... maybe with a rough towel just to peel redundant skin...uh I am bit afraid Shock
Reading here posts and topics all the morning and recording all helpful tips I can find. Before I start I have to know everything. Such a chicken Very Happy

I ordered Retin A cream but the only one available here in our pharmacies is 0,05% - I am not sure if that will be to much for the beginning.
It will be delivered in couple of weeks - so I bought Avene Eluage Cream to prepare my skin - and will use it with ROC's retin-ox day cream (which have no any side-effect, and have 15 SPF)

God bless check spelling device here
Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:00 am      Reply with quote
*mirjana* wrote:
God bless check spelling device here Very Happy

LOL - yep, what would we all do without it, even us English speakers!

The 0.05% cream should be fine. If you skin does happen to get really irritated just cut back to applying it every other night.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

The 0.05% cream should be fine. If you skin does happen to get really irritated just cut back to applying it every other night.

Oh, another one problem... What about using a Tuo viso and Dermawand during the time of adjustment? Can micro-current or heat irritate the skin even more? I bought this gadgets month ago and be sad if have to stop to using them Sad I just started to see some results Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
*mirjana* wrote:
Oh, another one problem... What about using a Tuo viso and Dermawand during the time of adjustment? Can micro-current or heat irritate the skin even more? I bought this gadgets month ago and be sad if have to stop to using them Sad I just started to see some results Smile

I would continue on with the gadgets, I have them both too and use them along with Retin-A. If you find you're skin is becoming too dry with using the Dermawand, just use it less often.

Fri May 03, 2024 5:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |