Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Trouble with Canada Customs?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
YappyPapillon

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:55 am      Reply with quote
Hi there,

I'm from Vancouver, Canada and ordered a few items from Skin Actives nearly two weeks ago. Their service is just fine; the package shipped within a day or two of my order and I received a confirmation email. From the message, I learned that my order had to go through Canada Customs (which I'd anticipated) and that those pr**ks (rhymes with chicks) might hold on to it for several "days or even weeks". Not only that, but once the package was in their hands, it would be untrackable.

What gives? I knew I'd have to pay duty, but why the ridiculous delay, and no way to find out the status of one's shipment? Has anyone else had this problem? Did your package finally arrive and if so, how long did it take?

Very frustrated and resenting bureaucracy.Mad

Thanks in advance for any insight.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
I am from Canada too and Canada Customs have never held my packages. I think once they opened it (they always put a sticker on it saying they have opened it) but it didn't hold the package up for any length of time. Customs do have the authority to open all packages if they want to but they haven't in my case and I order lots from the US.

I have never paid duty or GST either on any skincare products that I have received.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
I usually place small orders. I *believe* $30.00 is the flag for Customs. I usually try to stay $25.00 or under.

I did get pinched on an Every Day Minerals order years ago. It was a sample kit plus finishing powder. Value was $10.00 for the powder. (Finishing powder contains corn starch and I do not recommend it!) It was processed with Global mail and EDM declared the value as $30.00. I had to pay GST & PST plus a $5.00 handling fee due to their paperwork error. I got an apology when I emailed them. There was a promise of a sample with my next order but that was "forgotten" somehow. (I don't know why I ordered again. But I did get a brush and there is much much better places to order brushes!)

I have ordered many many times with small mineral makeup companies. With Lumiere the value was much higher (some orders over $50.00!) and I always received my items direct at my door.

Canada Customs can ask for the taxes plus a handling fee ($5.00) on any USPS order. Of course you can refuse and they will send back the order.

By the way, after my less than safisfactory customer service experience I do not ever wish to order from EDM and I will not hesitate to tell others why. Their sloppy paperwork cost me money!

I really don't understand why they are actually HOLDING your order! Usually Canada Post (or if it is a brokerage) holds your package and asks for ranson money...I mean custom fees.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
Unfortunatley thats the way of the world now. This has happened to me several times. I've had to wait for 3-4 weeks to get some thing. You'll have to get used to it.
YappyPapillon

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:32 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your replies, everyone. I guess it's just going to be a case of hurry up and wait, since there's no way to track my order. I have no issue with paying Canada Customs' ransom-I-mean-processing fees; I'd just really like to know how to go about doing that so I can get my products. Arrgh! BTW, my total, including shipping was $43 USD. Yeah, big bucks! Wink

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:42 am      Reply with quote
If Customs has your parcel you will have to pay their fees when it is delivered to you. From your original note it wasn't clear if Customs actually had your package or if the shipper told you they may have your package.
YappyPapillon

Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
Well, colour me impatient and embarrassed. Embarassed

Canada postal worker just delivered my package, and I didn't even have to pay any customs fees. Surprised

Thanks again for everyone's replies!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
YappyPapillon wrote:
Hi there,

I'm from Vancouver, Canada and ordered a few items from Skin Actives nearly two weeks ago. Their service is just fine; the package shipped within a day or two of my order and I received a confirmation email. From the message, I learned that my order had to go through Canada Customs (which I'd anticipated) and that those pr**ks (rhymes with chicks) might hold on to it for several "days or even weeks". Not only that, but once the package was in their hands, it would be untrackable.

What gives? I knew I'd have to pay duty, but why the ridiculous delay, and no way to find out the status of one's shipment? Has anyone else had this problem? Did your package finally arrive and if so, how long did it take?

Very frustrated and resenting bureaucracy.Mad

Thanks in advance for any insight.

When you received your shipping confirmation: what exactly did it say? Did it imply that your item *COULD* go through customs and any duties and taxes are your responsibility?

When I had problems, my package was held at the postage depot and my notice said I had money owing. Very clear that if I wanted my package; bring cash!

I am sure you are relieved that your package finally showed up. Did you hug the postal worker??
YappyPapillon

Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
Autumn1995 -

This is what it said at the bottom of the email:

International Information

Customs ID Number: XXXXXX

Declared value: $ 18.75

Packages shipped via First Class International mail cannot be tracked.
Please note that orders can be held up in customs for many days or weeks
depending on the destination country and may be liable to import taxes.

Hope that helps. BTW, no, I didn't hug the postal worker. What with H1N1 paranoia run amok, random hugging just isn't on these days! Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
From Yappy's post:

Packages shipped via First Class International mail cannot be tracked.
Please note that orders can be held up in customs for many days or weeks
depending on the destination country and may be liable to import taxes.

Declared value of under $20.00; but that is standard warning that Customs can hold your order.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
I always get this notification. It's too protect themselves in case Customs officer is having a really bad day. So far, nothing's been held up.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:20 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |