Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Dermarolling for Product Penetration ONLY
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:38 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Jeffiner13 wrote:
I would have to say that would only apply to those that have the herpes or cold sore virus on their lips. The rolling may help to spread the infection and you would not want to then roll it all over your face. Plus rolling could cause dryness or some sort of reaction that could cause an outbreak. I get cold sores from time to time and I would wait before everything was healed and gone before rolling.

No, I do not agree, Jeffiner. The virus may be dormant, and a person may not know they have it.

ETA: This is from the Nova Clinic site, but this same information is in the long dermaroller thread.

"Q. What about facial warts or cold sores and using the derma roller?
A. If you have any type of herpes virus dormant or otherwise you cannot use the dermaroller or derma stamp on that area. When treating above lip lines, if you have suffered from herpes complex (cold sores) in the past, make sure the dermaroller does not touch the lips or the cold sores will flare again. Facial warts if dormant may not flair when using the dermaroller but it is not worth the risk
".

Riley, I remember this warning. I still rolled lightly my lips lightly a couple of times. If a cold sore is triggered from it, I have no one to blame but myself. I was forewarned, for sure. I believe if you have ever had a fever blister or cold sore, the virus is always in your body, and therefore always is dormant, so proceed at your own risk. ~ JJ

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
jjbeacham wrote:
I believe if you have ever had a fever blister or cold sore, the virus is always in your body, and therefore always is dormant, so proceed at your own risk. ~ JJ

Exactly! Very Happy
neondaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hiya Rollers!
I was wondering about frequency.
I know that Liebl recommends using the .2mm twice a week.
Do any of you folks happen to know exactly what Fernandes recommends?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
neondaze wrote:
Hiya Rollers!
I was wondering about frequency.
I know that Liebl recommends using the .2mm twice a week.
Do any of you folks happen to know exactly what Fernandes recommends?

Fernandes says you can use the .2 mm daily if your skin can tolerate it. Environ recommends to roll first, and then apply their products.
neondaze
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks rileygirl.
You know everything!

I've rolled once with the .25 and realized that I'm officially thin-skinned. The next day I still looked like I had a little bit of sunburn. I think I'll just stick to twice a week for now, and try and build up to growing thick, juicy skin!
Jeffiner13
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:01 am      Reply with quote
jjbeacham wrote:
rileygirl wrote:
Jeffiner13 wrote:

I would have to say that would only apply to those that have the herpes or cold sore virus on their lips. The rolling may help to spread the infection and you would not want to then roll it all over your face. Plus rolling could cause dryness or some sort of reaction that could cause an outbreak. I get cold sores from time to time and I would wait before everything was healed and gone before rolling.

No, I do not agree, Jeffiner. The virus may be dormant, and a person may not know they have it.

ETA: This is from the Nova Clinic site, but this same information is in the long dermaroller thread.

A. If you have any type of herpes virus dormant or otherwise you cannot use the dermaroller or derma stamp on that area. When treating above lip lines, if you have suffered from herpes complex (cold sores) in the past, make sure the dermaroller does not touch the lips or the cold sores will flare again. Facial warts if dormant may not flair when using the dermaroller but it is not worth the risk
".

Riley, I remember this warning. I still rolled lightly my lips lightly a couple of times. If a cold sore is triggered from it, I have no one to blame but myself. I was forewarned, for sure. I believe if you have ever had a fever blister or cold sore, the virus is always in your body, and therefore always is dormant, so proceed at your own risk. ~ JJ

Yes Riley that is exactly what I was trying to say just forgot to mention whether the infection was active or not. I agree that it wouldn't be a good idea to roll your lips period whether you suffer from this or not. Once you have a cold sore you will have the virus forever.
Jeffiner13
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:04 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Jeffiner13 wrote:

".

I will have to avoid the upper lip area or be extrememly careful. I will have to make some funny faces to hide my lips and roll my upper lips area. Or maybe just avoid it all together.
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:21 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

do you think it is possible to increase skin thickness from using a 0.25 twice a week? I have this size but thought it was only used to enhance actives etc, and so haven't really used it much. However, I certainly will if it can thicken the skin,

thanks

Jackie xx
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
Hi everyone,

do you think it is possible to increase skin thickness from using a 0.25 twice a week? I have this size but thought it was only used to enhance actives etc, and so haven't really used it much. However, I certainly will if it can thicken the skin,

thanks

Jackie xx

Hi Jackie,
My skin has thickened although I'm recovering from having thinned my skin for a short period of time (through over-exfoliating for 4 mths).

I put this down to the vaculift/handling the skin as suggested by Ageless and the extra thickening I've recently seen is down to JJBeacham's advice (dry brushing and prod.penetration rolling).

jjbeacham wrote:
I am soooo happy for you that your skin is thickening up. Rolling I'm sure has an impact; I know without a doubt that the drybrushing is working for you. I know how long you have worked on your skin after that doctor thinned it out, and I'm sure you're thrilled. Good going, Miranda!! ~ JJ

Hi JJ,
Yes, I'm thrilled! People are noticing that I'm looking better - I think I look quite different from last July/Aug.
Thank you so much for the dry-brush tip; I think with the prod. penetration roller it works brilliantly.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
Off topic question here, but do you think the Clarisonic could provide the same benefits as dry brushing?
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't used a Clarisonic (or the cheaper QVC TreSonics equivalent) but I would say they do much the same. However a wooden facial brush costs about £4 - if you're going to invest, would probably be better buying one of those (also easy storage in bathroom means I use it daily - I'd probably wouldn't do that with a device).
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Off topic question here, but do you think the Clarisonic could provide the same benefits as dry brushing?

Riley, the Clarisonic brush attachment is what I use, but I use it ONLY for drybrushing, held in my hand, not attached to the machine. You will not get the same effect if either the brush or your skin is wet. Drybrushing is a completely different concept than cleaning the skin with a Clarisonic. I loved mine, and when the dry brush I bought for my face turned out to be too harsh, I took the brush attachment off my Clarisonic and used that. I'm still using it. Every morning, every night. It exfoliates, stimulates, and is a lymph massage at the same time. You could buy another brush head and use one with the Clarisonic for deep cleansing and the other use as a drybrush. ~ JJ

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
Hi everyone,

thanks

Jackie xx

Jackie, the short-needled rollers are supposed to thicken the skin in a fairly short time (3-4 weeks). My roller is 0.2mm and it's thickening my skin. I use it depending on what else I'm doing to my skin that week. One week, I will use it maybe 5 days to push in products, another week, use it twice just for thickening purposes. I don't use it after a peel or on the nights I use retin-a. HTH! ` JJ

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
jjbeacham wrote:
Riley, the Clarisonic brush attachment is what I use, but I use it ONLY for drybrushing, held in my hand, not attached to the machine. You will not get the same effect if either the brush or your skin is wet. Drybrushing is a completely different concept than cleaning the skin with a Clarisonic. I loved mine, and when the dry brush I bought for my face turned out to be too harsh, I took the brush attachment off my Clarisonic and used that. I'm still using it. Every morning, every night. It exfoliates, stimulates, and is a lymph massage at the same time. You could buy another brush head and use one with the Clarisonic for deep cleansing and the other use as a drybrush. ~ JJ

Thanks, JJ. Ok. Understand. Do you use your Clarisonic for cleansing, JJ? I think I want one but I am still waffling on this!
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
jjbeacham wrote:

Thanks, JJ. Ok. Understand. Do you use your Clarisonic for cleansing, JJ? I think I want one but I am still waffling on this!

No Riley, I don't use the Clarisonic anymore. I use the Oil Cleansing Method alternating with IS Clinical's Cleansing Complex. My OCM contains Cromollient, which allows the oils to be rinsed off easily. I do use a washcloth to gently wash off anything left on my face after makeup remover. When my face is dry, I drybrush. I never went back to the Clarisonic, although I may someday. Right now, I'm very happy with this routine. BTW, you can buy the Clarisonic replacement brush-heads on eBay without having to purchase the entire unit. HTH!~ JJ

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
JJ, I've done the same thing as you. I have a Clarisonic but stopped using it when I switched to OCM. I also have a wooden facial brush that was too harsh. I saw on here that you've been using the Clarisonic brush as a dry brush. That's what I have used for the last week and I like it much better than the wooden one.

I like the Clarisonic but I, personally do not feel that it is superior to OCM. I think my skin actually gets cleaner with OCM than it did with the Clarisonic. The Clarisonic only cleans the surface and exfoliates while OCM gets the deep down dirt.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
I tried my 1mm last week and it didn't feel that much different from the.25 to me. I think with the .25, my skin was getting burned because I was rolling in harsh products. The negative effects were actually coming more from the products than from the roll. When I rolled with the 1mm without the products last week, I only had positive results. I was glowy and my skin is more clear.

Today, I tried the 1mm again but with ice. BIG difference. With the ice, I pushed the roller in more and ended up drawing more blood. I had tiny little blood spots all over my face. Then I used SKB as a mask. I'll let you know how well it worked over the next few days. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia wrote:
I tried my 1mm last week and it didn't feel that much different from the.25 to me. I think with the .25, my skin was getting burned because I was rolling in harsh products. The negative effects were actually coming more from the products than from the roll. When I rolled with the 1mm without the products last week, I only had positive results. I was glowy and my skin is more clear.

Today, I tried the 1mm again but with ice. BIG difference. With the ice, I pushed the roller in more and ended up drawing more blood. I had tiny little blood spots all over my face. Then I used SKB as a mask. I'll let you know how well it worked over the next few days. Very Happy

Tonia, I can't wait to hear your results! I am still happy with what I'm doing, but that leads me to wonder if I would be even HAPPIER with a .75 or a 1.0 roller. Laughing

BTW, my skin feels cleaner with OCM too. And I much prefer the Clarisonic brush to the natural bristle Bernard Jensen Facial brush. It is still too harsh for my face, so I'm using it on my hands and they love it. ~ JJ

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:12 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

thanks for the replies! I was reading on here that dry brushing is good for lymphatic drainage so I may take that up again. Is it ok to do the dry brushing daily even if you do a roll say twice a week ?

Also, what technique is most effective ?

thanks again

Jackie xx
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:34 am      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
Hi everyone,

thanks for the replies! I was reading on here that dry brushing is good for lymphatic drainage so I may take that up again. Is it ok to do the dry brushing daily even if you do a roll say twice a week ?

Also, what technique is most effective ?

thanks again

Jackie xx

Jackie, I drybrush morning and night, without fail (unless I have just done a peel or something that compromises the skin barrier) and have been doing so for over 8 months. I only brush for about 2-3 minutes, tops, and this is how I brush: on the face, I brush in circles as if polishing a tabletop. I make sure that the end of each stroke is headed outward, toward the edges of the face. I DO brush my eyelids and undereyes, very gently with eyes closed in small circles. On the neck, I brush up and out in long strokes. I use medium pressure. It never hurts, just feels stimulating. And it most definitely will thicken your skin.

I roll with my 0.2mm roller anytime I like. Sometimes I roll just around the mouth or on the forehead. Other times, I roll the entire face and/or neck. If I plan on rolling, I drybrush first and wait a few minutes to roll. HTH! ~ JJ

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:25 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone used the Environ Roll-cit by Dr. Fernandes?

http://www.vivida.co.za/cosmetic_roll_cit

I haven't found details of the length of needles but it says it can be used 2-7 times a week so I'm assuming it's around 0.2mm.

Also does anyone use the Environ products with their rolling? Any recommendations for someone who's been using Retin-A 0.1% without too much trouble.
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:44 am      Reply with quote
thanks jj, that's really helpful,

Jackie xx
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:59 am      Reply with quote
This is Miranda wrote:

I haven't found details of the length of needles but it says it can be used 2-7 times a week so I'm assuming it's around 0.2mm.

Also does anyone use the Environ products with their rolling? Any recommendations for someone who's been using Retin-A 0.1% without too much trouble.

Miranda, both Riley and I have been lemming for this roller!!!! As soon as I recover from emptying my wallet at Christmas, I intend to order it. I haven't used the Environ products but they look wonderful, and I would trust them. ~ JJ

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:16 am      Reply with quote
What makes the Vivida roller different from the ebay one? It looks the same to me! Just wondering.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:17 am      Reply with quote
This is Miranda wrote:

I posted the info on this roller somewhere. Let me see if I can dig around to find it and repost it for you.

ETA: I found it. On page 6 of this thread I posted this info on teh Environ roll-cit.

"Posting this again, as I know I posted it somewhere in here, but this is the information on the home use Roll-Cit from Environ.

There are 108 needles 18 rowx 6 needles per row
The needles protrude 0,2mm
The needles are solid steel and are 0.3mm in length with a tapered point so that the section that goes into the skin is about 0.15 in diameter
."

As far as recommendation on Environ products, I had a consult with a seller. If you can afford it, the best product from Environ is the C-quence series. I have the C-quence 2 but I think it is too mild for me. If I could afford to purchase again, I would get the 3 or 4 (I have very tough skin though and do not have any reactions from any products).
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:57 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |