Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Dermarolling for Product Penetration ONLY
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:34 am      Reply with quote
Crikey, you lot have been busy during my GMT night time!

It's always healthy to have warning stories in topics that involve puncturing the skin. Sometimes it's only the horror stories that make people stop and take notice. In all the threads I've read, I did only seen 2 stories from our own members that roll but they were enough to make me stop in my tracks.

But let's be clear on this; professionals never sterilise derma rollers because they never re-use them (I did know this, was previously bringing up the point). So there is no 'professional' protocol on this. Products that they do sterlise, it is a necessity as they are used on many people.

So can I assume my Miltons sterilizing fluid is strong enough to kill my own germs as it says "kills MRSA in 15 mins" ? The active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite. Oh no! just read the really small print and it says keep away from metals Confused Oops. Ok that's off the menu. No one use Miltons!

So I can use my heavy-duty hand sanitizer that kills MRSA, MSSA, Salmonella, E.Coli and strep as it says on the label (my mum is a nurse and she gave me this but it doesn't give an alcohol %). But how do I know this is going to be ok for use with metals?

It's going to be a fine line between keeping our rollers clean and not damaging them.

Are there any long-term rollers (2yrs+) out there to tell us what they do?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:02 am      Reply with quote
I'm a long term roller - I used to use Polident but now I use Isocol Rubbing Alcohol. I also wipe my face with ACV and water beforehand, whether this helps to kill bacteria, I'm not sure.

But just to put things into perspective - did you know that you can contract Meningitis from picking at your pimples. The infection can turn inwards and end up in the brain!! Now I'm sure we've all picked at our pimples and never given that a thought. Just pointing out that just about everything we do is fraught with some sort of danger!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:48 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
jjbeacham wrote:
Keliu, that does mean 64%. There are 1000 ml's in a liter. ~ JJ

Well 6% less won't make much difference will it? I don't want to start getting too paranoid here.

I personally wouldn't worry about a 6% difference, knowing it's you and knowing you're on top of it. I think DM is afraid new people may start rolling who aren't aware of how important it is to keep the roller clean. Or that some who are currently rolling are doing so, as she said, with just hot water as a cleaner. ~ JJ

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:59 am      Reply with quote
This is Miranda wrote:
Crikey, you lot have been busy during my GMT night time!

It's always healthy to have warning stories in topics that involve puncturing the skin. Sometimes it's only the horror stories that make people stop and take notice. In all the threads I've read, I did only seen 2 stories from our own members that roll but they were enough to make me stop in my tracks.

But let's be clear on this; professionals never sterilise derma rollers because they never re-use them (I did know this, was previously bringing up the point). So there is no 'professional' protocol on this. Products that they do sterlise, it is a necessity as they are used on many people.

So can I assume my Miltons sterilizing fluid is strong enough to kill my own germs as it says "kills MRSA in 15 mins" ? The active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite. Oh no! just read the really small print and it says keep away from metals Confused Oops. Ok that's off the menu. No one use Miltons!

So I can use my heavy-duty hand sanitizer that kills MRSA, MSSA, Salmonella, E.Coli and strep as it says on the label (my mum is a nurse and she gave me this but it doesn't give an alcohol %). But how do I know this is going to be ok for use with metals?

It's going to be a fine line between keeping our rollers clean and not damaging them.

Are there any long-term rollers (2yrs+) out there to tell us what they do?

Miranda, did you say Crikey? Laughing You crack me up when you do that.

Okay, your hand sanitizer is probably fine, and so is 70%+ alcohol, or the sterilizer solution they use at the hairdresser's that we've all seen. I do plan to buy some of that Barbicide liquid because then that is one less thing I have to be at all concerned about. However, I don't feel that I am in immediate danger if I roll before I'm able to get any.

There are some 2+ years rollers on the forum. Keliu is a long-term roller, and I believe Toby and some others have been rolling that long. This is basically just a reality check to be sure everyone is doing their best to keep their roller(s) as clean/disinfected/sterile as possible. I do think it's important; and I think it's more important if you roll with the longer needles. But I don't think anyone needs to get paranoid about it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:18 am      Reply with quote
I hear you JJ.

I'll post a link over to the Dermaroll and Dermarolling for Stretchmarks threads as these primarily deal with people using longer rollers. This whole subject is worth those there reading.
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:33 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I'm going to try the surgical spirit, - does anyone know if this has to be diluted ?

thanks

Jackie xx
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:45 am      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm going to try the surgical spirit, - does anyone know if this has to be diluted ?

thanks

Jackie xx

Hi, Jackie! To the best of my knowledge, you do not dilute it. ~ JJ

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:49 am      Reply with quote
This is from the Owndoc website:

How to clean a dermaroller
Dermarollers should be cleaned and sterilized by gently immersing the roller head into a cup of preferably alcohol-based cleaning solution, ensuring that the roller head is completely covered in the liquid. After a minimum of 10 minutes, discard the used cleaning solution and rinse the roller head with water before applying it to the skin. Rinse the roller head before and after each use with hot water. Always make sure not to bend the needles.

and

You must disinfect your skin and your dermaroller every time you roll. Buy an alcohol-based disinfectant in the pharmacy for immediate skin disinfection. It is usually a mixture with around 50 to 75% Ethanol, sometimes with other alcohols.

So the Isocol falls into those parameters. And yes, I use the solution undiluted.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:18 am      Reply with quote
thanks guys!

would using an alcohol based disinfectant really dry the skin out? also, is it beter to do this before or after a roll ?

Jackie xx
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:52 am      Reply with quote
I think vodka would work. I'd try it. I don't like using alcohol on my face. It's too drying. I guess if I HAVE to I will. It's better than getting MRSA.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:04 am      Reply with quote
Vodka isn't high enough in alcohol % content for proper disinfection - however it would certainly be better than nothing. Razz

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia wrote:
I think vodka would work. I'd try it. I don't like using alcohol on my face. It's too drying. I guess if I HAVE to I will. It's better than getting MRSA.

Tonia, when I did glycolic peels, I used a pad with alcohol on it to "de-fat" the skin before applying the acid. It never made my skin dry although that was just done once a week. As far as the rollers go, after letting it sit, I do hold it under hot running water and let it airdry before putting back in the case. So you won't get alcohol from the roller, just a bit on a cotton square wiped across the face. ~ JJ

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Vodka isn't high enough in alcohol % content for proper disinfection - however it would certainly be better than nothing. Razz

Sis, I always get confused about actual alcohol content in liquor. If it's 80 proof, doesn't that mean it's 40% alcohol? Just curious! ~ JJ

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
As I said in my previous post, I use Apple Cider Vinegar and water on my face before I roll and wasn't sure if this was really effective as a germ killer. However, I just Googled it and apparently, vinegar is just as effective as an anti-viral solution as anything you can buy in the pharmacy. And, of course, vinegar is used to preserve food.

In addition to its anti-viral properties, ACV is also very beneficial for the skin - so I'm going to keep using that.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, I'm sorry. I missed Sis's post about the vodka.

When I mentioned not wanting to apply alcohol to my skin, I was referring to cleaning the skin with alcohol before rolling. I'm afraid I'll look like a lizard if I do that. I would probably only use alcohol to cleanse my skin before the longer needles anyway. Maybe it won't be so bad. I'll try it next time.

jjbeacham wrote:
sister sweets wrote:

Sis, I always get confused about actual alcohol content in liquor. If it's 80 proof, doesn't that mean it's 40% alcohol? Just curious! ~ JJ

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
Yes jj 40% alcohol in an 80 proof vodka. I'd just go get a bottle of plain old isopropyl with a higher alcohol % and save the vodka for something better Very Happy

I would not put alcohol directly on my skin . The ACV sounds good though - many people use this anyway in their skincare regime.

What was Alien's friend with MRSA infection doing as a disinfection technique? Do we know?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Yes jj 40% alcohol in an 80 proof vodka. I'd just go get a bottle of plain old isopropyl with a higher alcohol % and save the vodka for something better Very Happy

I would not put alcohol directly on my skin . The ACV sounds good though - many people use this anyway in their skincare regime.

What was Alien's friend with MRSA infection doing as a disinfection technique? Do we know?

I have my DIY ACV toner which would work, wouldn't it? That does sound preferable to alcohol on the face.

Sis, it wasn't a friend of Alien's, it was someone on the SkinBiology forum. She was cleaning her roller with hydrogen peroxide. ~ JJ

ETA: There are better things to do w/vodka,IMO. Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
You might want to reread this specific part of a post earlier about what sanitizes especially how long alcohol is required on the skin to kill BACTERIA and it's effectiveness on other microbes

Also, isopropyl alcohol requires about 10 minutes on the skin's surface to kill bacteria, and about 3 minutes on hard surfaces. The main purpose when they use alcohol on the skin before an injection, ect. is to clean and remove oil from the skin.
Rubbing alcohol as an antiseptic

Rubbing alcohol is usually isopropyl alcohol not ethyl alcohol. Drinking alcohol is usually ethyl alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is not a good antiseptic because it contains only 40% alcohol. To be a good antiseptic isopropyl alcohol must contain at least 70% alcohol. Seventy percent Isopropyl or ethyl alcohol will kill bacteria, virus and fungus in 15 to 30 seconds.
Please visit Wikipedia "alcohol rubs" or "hand antiseptic" for an extensive discussion on the antiseptic (germ killing) properties of ethyl and isopropyl alcohols.
Sanitizer - 99% Effective
Alcohol Based Germ Fighting Action As Recommended by the CDC.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
You might want to reread this specific part of a post earlier about what sanitizes especially how long alcohol is required on the skin to kill BACTERIA and it's effectiveness on other microbes

Also, isopropyl alcohol requires about 10 minutes on the skin's surface to kill bacteria, and about 3 minutes on hard surfaces. The main purpose when they use alcohol on the skin before an injection, ect. is to clean and remove oil from the skin.
Rubbing alcohol as an antiseptic

Rubbing alcohol is usually isopropyl alcohol not ethyl alcohol. Drinking alcohol is usually ethyl alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is not a good antiseptic because it contains only 40% alcohol. To be a good antiseptic isopropyl alcohol must contain at least 70% alcohol. Seventy percent Isopropyl or ethyl alcohol will kill bacteria, virus and fungus in 15 to 30 seconds.
Please visit Wikipedia "alcohol rubs" or "hand antiseptic" for an extensive discussion on the antiseptic (germ killing) properties of ethyl and isopropyl alcohols.
Sanitizer - 99% Effective
Alcohol Based Germ Fighting Action As Recommended by the CDC.

DM, when I used alcohol prior to my glycolic peels, it was to de-fat and remove all oils from the skin. But I certainly don't want to leave it on there for ten minutes. What do you think about ACV? I don't mean for cleaning the roller, I mean after washing the face, to add an extra level of cleanliness before rolling.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, I just looked at my alcohol, and it is 70%. But I still don't want to leave it on my face for 10 minutes, although I could saturate a cotton pad with it, wipe the face and wait 10 minutes to roll, couldn't I? ~ JJ

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
jjbeacham wrote:
Okay, I just looked at my alcohol, and it is 70%. But I still don't want to leave it on my face for 10 minutes, although I could saturate a cotton pad with it, wipe the face and wait 10 minutes to roll, couldn't I? ~ JJ

Here's some info on the germ killing qualities of vinegar:

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/vinegar-kills-bacteria-mold-germs.html#

JJ, I'm sure you will be fine just using the vinegar as a facial swab/toner before you roll. I don't think there's any need to go over the top with all this - next we'll be buying green sterile cloths and swathing ourselves in those!

Don't forget that anything you apply to your skin will penetrate it when you roll. I don't think I'd want alcohol penetrating my skin. Now penetrating my stomach via the throat, well that's a different matter entirely!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
I've wiped my face with the 70% isopropyl alcohol prior to a roll. It really stings! It hurts more than the roll with a .5 roller. And I don't have particularly sensitive skin.

I'll be interested in hearing the experiences of others with isopropyl. I'd love to find an alternative, but want to be safe.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
I'd love to find an alternative, but want to be safe.

Did you see my post above about using Apple Cider Vinegar and water?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
jjbeacham wrote:

Here's some info on the germ killing qualities of vinegar:

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/vinegar-kills-bacteria-mold-germs.html#

JJ, I'm sure you will be fine just using the vinegar as a facial swab/toner before you roll. I don't think there's any need to go over the top with all this - next we'll be buying green sterile cloths and swathing ourselves in those!

Don't forget that anything you apply to your skin will penetrate it when you roll. I don't think I'd want alcohol penetrating my skin. Now penetrating my stomach via the throat, well that's a different matter entirely!

Thanks, Keliu. I love ACV, drink it daily, trust it and believe in it. I'll go with that. Yes, I'm with you, any alcohol near this bod will be headed down the throat, not on the face. Laughing ~ JJ

ETA: Great link! Thanks! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
ShastaGirl wrote:
I'd love to find an alternative, but want to be safe.

Did you see my post above about using Apple Cider Vinegar and water?

Hi Keliu - thanks, I did see your post and I see the ACV is anti-bacterial, but does it tackle MRSA also? I know MRSA is considered a staph infection.

I've not looked extensively, but did see the following on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinegar regarding vinegar and infections:

"While vinegar can be an effective antibacterial cleaning agent on hard surfaces such as washroom tiles and countertops,[24] studies show that vinegar – whether taken internally or applied topically – is not effective against infections, lice,[25] or fungus.[26]"
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:31 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |