Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Dermarolling for Product Penetration ONLY
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
Keliu wrote:
ShastaGirl wrote:
I'd love to find an alternative, but want to be safe.

Did you see my post above about using Apple Cider Vinegar and water?

Hi Keliu - thanks, I did see your post and I see the ACV is anti-bacterial, but does it tackle MRSA also? I know MRSA is considered a staph infection.

I've not looked extensively, but did see the following on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinegar regarding vinegar and infections:

"While vinegar can be an effective antibacterial cleaning agent on hard surfaces such as washroom tiles and countertops,[24] studies show that vinegar – whether taken internally or applied topically – is not effective against infections, lice,[25] or fungus.[26]"

Shasta, not Keliu but I just want to make a comment here. The post I read by the woman who had a staph infection did NOT say that she had MRSA. There may have been other posts that did say that, but the one cited did not. It also did not say what length needles she was using. I would think that it would be somewhat difficult to get a facial infection if your face, hands and your roller are clean and if you are not making yourself bleed. (I am assuming you are rolling with small needles for product penetration). We don't normally draw blood with the small rollers. The woman in question was cleaning her roller with hydrogen peroxide, which is not effective enough to kill a staph infection. I would bet anything that she was rolling with longer needles because normally the SkinBiology forum recommends remodeling scars by using single needle or long needle dermarolling.

I think it is very important for all of us to be as clean/sterile as possible when rolling. That said, if you don't want to use alcohol or ACV on your skin, just buy some Barbicide and let your roller sit in it for 20 minutes before and after rolling and you will be fine. BTW, MRSA can be picked up in locker rooms at the gym where you work out and has shown up in high school locker rooms. It's out there whether you roll or not. Also, bacteria love a moist environment. If you airdry the roller before replacing it in the case, I truly believe you will be safe when rolling. HTH ~ JJ

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with JJ's comments above. It is very important to take all necessary precautions, however, we are NEVER going to achieve a totally sterile environment. Rolling will never be risk free - nothing in life is. It's like when you go to the clinic to get Botox or filler injections, and they give you that form to sign which states all the things that can go wrong - most people just sign it and hope for the best, at least I do!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
I found this option for cleaning our rollers from a dermaroller seller on Ebay:

Sanitation - You may use denture tablets (in water) to clean the roller. Denture tables are enzyme cleansers and enzymes take off fat as well as reduce bacteria. While not as effective, you may also use alcohol (isopropyl). Consult a pharmacist for the best advice for a sterilization solution. Fill the small saucer or tray with sterilization solution place the gauze pad at the bottom and roll the roller into the pad with medium pressure. Leave the roller in the cleaning solution for about 15 to 30 minutes – ensure that the roller drum is constantly wet with the cleaning solution. This model can be also sterilized under high temperature over 130C (266F).

Span life of a roller - 3 months with everyday use

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:52 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Sanitation - You may use denture tablets (in water) to clean the roller. Denture tables are enzyme cleansers and enzymes take off fat as well as reduce bacteria.

As I said earlier, I used to use Polident tablets to clean my roller, but then someone posted (over on the main thread) that this can have a negative effect on the needles - so then I switched to Isocol. However, I don't know whether this is correct or not. It doesn't matter what you do, there will always be someone who'll disagree.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
Yes Keliu - isn't that the truth. Sorry I missed the Polident post. Personally I feel best about use of alcohol anyway. If your face is clean, hands clean and roller disinfected we should be okay.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:22 am      Reply with quote
Wow I've been away for a couple of days and have had 4 pages worth to read!
Well I've been using Dettol to disinfect my roller both before and after a roll. Does anyone know if that's powerful enough?
And Keliu where do you get your Isocol from?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:46 am      Reply with quote
Mishey wrote:
And Keliu where do you get your Isocol from?

All the chemists and Priceline have it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:58 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Here's some info on the germ killing qualities of vinegar:

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/vinegar-kills-bacteria-mold-germs.html#

JJ, I'm sure you will be fine just using the vinegar as a facial swab/toner before you roll. I don't think there's any need to go over the top with all this - next we'll be buying green sterile cloths and swathing ourselves in those!

Don't forget that anything you apply to your skin will penetrate it when you roll. I don't think I'd want alcohol penetrating my skin. Now penetrating my stomach via the throat, well that's a different matter entirely!

Brilliant research Keliu, this is what I'm going to use. And even if alittle ACV penetrates through skin, that's also a good thing.

BTW, I don't really understand what's happening to my skin, but it looks weirdly good at mo. My freckles are fading without losing my natural olive skin colour! This could be down to using Retin A 0.1% Mon & Tues night, I then rolled 0.5mm Weds night with Infadolan, Thurs I applied 20% L-AA (Skinceuticals Serum 20) but had to remove it after 5 mins as it stung so much but even after washing I could still feel it tingling. Then yesterday I noticed my skin looked less pigmented - it looks like I'm wearing a light foundation. I did a light roll last night again with Infadolan and skin looks wonderful this morning. Another 'side effect' I noticed a little while ago, are that my pores are tighter now than 20 yrs ago.
Could all be down to my new toy the TreSonics skin brushing (like clarisonic) which I use dry followed by hempseed oil with the vaculift but I'm sure the rolling is also playing a part in this.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:03 am      Reply with quote
I have been reading around the owndoc site. I noticed she recommends using the .2 mm roller only every 2nd day "at most". Thoughts?
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:54 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
I have been reading around the owndoc site. I noticed she recommends using the .2 mm roller only every 2nd day "at most". Thoughts?

Here again, Riley, there is every kind of recommendation out there as to how often to use a roller. I roll when I want to with the 0.2mm roller. That will be once a day sometimes, other times I will just roll what I consider "problem" areas. Sometimes, I roll every second day. Now the 0.5mm that makes me swell I use every 7-10 days. But the 0.2mm is so good at helping those actives penetrate I use it whenever the mood strikes, and I have had nothing but good results with it. BTW, when I roll with the 0.5mm roller, I do use Ester-C and Retinyal Palmitate. But when I roll with the 0.2mm roller, I use whatever product I am applying that night (or morning) to aid in penetration. ~ JJ

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:01 am      Reply with quote
This is Miranda wrote:
Keliu wrote:
Here's some info on the germ killing qualities of vinegar:

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/vinegar-kills-bacteria-mold-germs.html#

JJ, I'm sure you will be fine just using the vinegar as a facial swab/toner before you roll. I don't think there's any need to go over the top with all this - next we'll be buying green sterile cloths and swathing ourselves in those!

Don't forget that anything you apply to your skin will penetrate it when you roll. I don't think I'd want alcohol penetrating my skin. Now penetrating my stomach via the throat, well that's a different matter entirely!

Brilliant research Keliu, this is what I'm going to use. And even if alittle ACV penetrates through skin, that's also a good thing.

BTW, I don't really understand what's happening to my skin, but it looks weirdly good at mo. My freckles are fading without losing my natural olive skin colour! This could be down to using Retin A 0.1% Mon & Tues night, I then rolled 0.5mm Weds night with Infadolan, Thurs I applied 20% L-AA (Skinceuticals Serum 20) but had to remove it after 5 mins as it stung so much but even after washing I could still feel it tingling. Then yesterday I noticed my skin looked less pigmented - it looks like I'm wearing a light foundation. I did a light roll last night again with Infadolan and skin looks wonderful this morning. Another 'side effect' I noticed a little while ago, are that my pores are tighter now than 20 yrs ago.
Could all be down to my new toy the TreSonics skin brushing (like clarisonic) which I use dry followed by hempseed oil with the vaculift but I'm sure the rolling is also playing a part in this.

Miranda, wow, you have come such a long way since that Dr. thinned out your skin! I am so happy for you. If you're like me, when your skin is looking marvelous, you are afraid to stop using/doing anything. I have no doubt that the drybrushing, rolling, retin-a, hempseed oil, vaculifting and Vitamin C are all contributing to how gorgeous your skin looks. Very proud of you, M, you've worked very hard and deserve that lovely skin. It's great to hear that you are happy with your skin again. ~ JJ XXX

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:12 am      Reply with quote
I am actually impressed with the information that owndoc has put on her forum, specifically no acids after rolling, etc. What I found most interesting was her theory on rolling the lip lines with the 1.5 roller. Dr. Fernandes felt that the 1 mm was deep enough for that area. I definitely will be looking at that site more often.

ETA: (Sorry, OT, I forgot I was on the product penetration thread!!)
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:19 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
I am actually impressed with the information that owndoc has put on her forum, specifically no acids after rolling, etc. What I found most interesting was her theory on rolling the lip lines with the 1.5 roller. Dr. Fernandes felt that the 1 mm was deep enough for that area. I definitely will be looking at that site more often.

ETA: (Sorry, OT, I forgot I was on the product penetration thread!!)

Riley, 1.5 above the upper lip freaks me out. I can barely stand the 0.2mm on that area. She was talking about above the lip, right? Not on the lips themselves?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:21 am      Reply with quote
jjbeacham wrote:
Riley, 1.5 above the upper lip freaks me out. I can barely stand the 0.2mm on that area. She was talking about above the lip, right? Not on the lips themselves?

Sorry, JJ. Yes, for the wrinkles above the upper lip. I have only used the 1 mm in that area, but after reading her site, I actually am thinking about the 1.5! Laughing
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:27 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
jjbeacham wrote:

Sorry, JJ. Yes, for the wrinkles above the upper lip. I have only used the 1 mm in that area, but after reading her site, I actually am thinking about the 1.5! Laughing

Are you using a numbing agent or ice? I would need general anesthesia!!! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:37 am      Reply with quote
jjbeacham wrote:

Are you using a numbing agent or ice? I would need general anesthesia!!! Laughing

Nope, just my strong will, gritted teeth, and tearing eyes! Laughing (I tried the Emla once but was not too impressed, as I could still feel the needles).
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:45 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
jjbeacham wrote:

Nope, just my strong will, gritted teeth, and tearing eyes! Laughing (I tried the Emla once but was not too impressed, as I could still feel the needles).

Yikes Shock I'd try some ice!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:13 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

do you guys clean the 0.2 and 0.5 in this way too? If not, would a soak in a mixture of anitbacterial soap and water suffice ?

many thanks

Jackie xx
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:20 am      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
Hi everyone,

do you guys clean the 0.2 and 0.5 in this way too? If not, would a soak in a mixture of anitbacterial soap and water suffice ?

many thanks

Jackie xx

Jackie, I clean both of mine by letting them soak in 70% alcohol. I've been letting them soak for 5 minutes, but will go up to 10 minutes. I also intend to buy some Barbicide to use as a soak. I don't think the soap/water would be quite enough. I'd feel better about it if you were using alcohol or Barbicide. ~ JJ

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
Soap makes it possible to wash away dirt, but generally has no antibacterial/fungal/viral properties.

That said, what do you all think about using the dishwasher? Bad idea? Damaging to needles, not potent enough?
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hermosa wrote:
Soap makes it possible to wash away dirt, but generally has no antibacterial/fungal/viral properties.

That said, what do you all think about using the dishwasher? Bad idea? Damaging to needles, not potent enough?

I think the dishwasher occasionally would be great, but I roll so frequently with the 0.2 roller that I'm afraid it would damage it if I put it in the dishwasher each time. One of the dermaroller sites does recommend the dishwasher, but I'm not sure if the roller on that site is all metal or has a plastic handle. I don't think it would damage the needles but might damage the plastic parts.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
thanks girls,

Jackie xx
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
jjbeacham wrote:

I know. For some reason emla doesn't seem to numb the lip area much at all. The absolute worst area to roll for sure.
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
Mishey wrote:
rileygirl wrote:
jjbeacham wrote:

I know. For some reason emla doesn't seem to numb the lip area much at all. The absolute worst area to roll for sure.

The lip is the most sensitive to me even with the 0.2mm roller. Wonder why?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
jjbeacham wrote:
Mishey wrote:
rileygirl wrote:
jjbeacham wrote:

The lip is the most sensitive to me even with the 0.2mm roller. Wonder why?

Hi gals - Lots of nerve endings in the lips therefore lips are mores sensitive to tactile sensation like the roller. That's why babies and toddlers are always using their mouths to check out unknown objects.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:56 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |