Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
acid mantle friendly body wash, bar soap is killing me
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mex0050
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
I am trying to find a product that isn't outrageously expensive to wash with like a body wash that preserves the acid mantle on the skin and balances the pH. Something gentle that cleans and doesn't clog up pores either. My skin is really getting in bad condition from bar soap, and I switched back to my old body wash and my skin keeps getting worse anyways. Oh looky, it has SLS. Of course it does. It sucks though because I can clog up the pores around my upper arms, shoulders, and shoulder blades pretty easy...so anything super hydrating isn't going to work for me...Ive been slathering on shea butter to counteract dryness and now I have dryness AND clogged pores. hooray. I just need something pH balanced that is going to clean without stripping off my sebum and drying out my skin which is now in a constant state of dryness and peeling. I don't want to spent $30 on body wash though Confused Any ideas? Even Cetaphil has SLS.

I should maybe look into a humidifier and shower filter too Idea
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
I like Dr. Bronners with a Body Brush.. you can usually get it at a health food store. A small bottle is maybe $6.00... No chemicals AT ALL!

Good luck!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
I use soap - hand made from local folks. It's not a body wash but made with different sorts of oils, no SLS and inexpensive with great natural type scents if you wish. Or Olive oil soap at the health food store. If you want a body wash - I don't use them but I'd google SLS free body wash and go from there. I'm sure there's quite a price range.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
Oh thank you for the ideas! They both sound good and affordable. Maybe I can get through this recession winter without looking like a lizard.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
mex0050 wrote:
I am trying to find a product that isn't outrageously expensive to wash with like a body wash that preserves the acid mantle on the skin and balances the pH. Something gentle that cleans and doesn't clog up pores either. My skin is really getting in bad condition from bar soap, and I switched back to my old body wash and my skin keeps getting worse anyways. Oh looky, it has SLS. Of course it does. It sucks though because I can clog up the pores around my upper arms, shoulders, and shoulder blades pretty easy...so anything super hydrating isn't going to work for me...Ive been slathering on shea butter to counteract dryness and now I have dryness AND clogged pores. hooray. I just need something pH balanced that is going to clean without stripping off my sebum and drying out my skin which is now in a constant state of dryness and peeling. I don't want to spent $30 on body wash though Confused Any ideas? Even Cetaphil has SLS.

I should maybe look into a humidifier and shower filter too Idea
I wouldn't get hung up on SLS; really...theres nothing wrong with it. Its perfectly safe. Theres lots of gentle cleansers at the drugstore without spending a ton of money. Neutrogena, Olay Facial Foaming. You can tell if a cleanser is gentle; if it doesn't irritate your eyes, you got a gentle cleanser. Good luck!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
I would avoid SLS

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
I would avoid SLS
The amount is so minute in products and washed off quickly that it doesn't matter. I agree its an irritant so its best to find a cleanser with sodium laureth in it which is a bit milder.

http://www.cctfa.ca/site/consumerinfo/Ingredients%20101.pdf
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with ClaudiaFE on the Dr. Bronners, and a lot of great fragrances!

And sis SLS isn't just an irritant it is terrible for you as well as your skin!

DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:17 am      Reply with quote
On my doctor's order, I use Cetaphil for the whole body because I have eczema. It's very gentle, and if you suffer from clogged pores they have a version for oily skin as well. HTH

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:54 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

DM

I agree DarkMoon - I've seen reactions from the SLS in toothpaste also. It's nasty stuff - I try to avoid it in anything. I don't think most people realize. It's just a cheap way to get sudsing action - no benefit and potential harm.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:31 am      Reply with quote
A third here for Dr Bronners, and it comes in lots of different scents lavender, aloe vera, peppermint etc and you can use it to wash your hair, skin and face and brush your teeth with it! Laughing
DarkMoon wrote:

DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:23 am      Reply with quote
Johnsons pH 5.5, 2 in 1 Body Wash with Moisturisers is an old favourite of mine. Should be less than US$4 for 750 ml, at least that's what I paid this week. I buy this in Hong Kong, so not sure if available elsewhere, or is marketed under a different name. It does have SLS listed as the 2nd ingredient (which i also try to avoid), but it's certainly gentle on my skin, definitely non-drying, works great with my trusty scrub gloves. Personally, I'm more concerned with pH level of cleansers than SLS (although I'd prefer a cleanser with low pH and no SLS). I'm convinced that high pH cleansers are the anti-christ of skincare ...

I also sometimes use the M2 Exfoliating Cleanser (from EDS) as a body cleanser. No SLS, and I haven't tested the pH, but I'm guessing it should be a suitable level due to the acid content. It's a bit more expensive (meant for use on the face I believe).
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
Anybody know the pH of Dr Bronners? I've always passed it by in the Health food store but now I think it's going to be my next purchase. Thanks ladies for sharing & mex0050 for posting a good question!
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:21 am      Reply with quote
Bumping this up in my own selfish interests

I'm also keen to know of body cleansers without SLS and with low pH - preferably 5.5 or lower. Any suggestions?

I could be wrong, but i believe those Dr Bronners liquid soaps have high pH, around 9 or so. Anyone know for sure?

I've used quite a few of the organic/natural SLS free type body washes, but they've all had high pH, at least as far as i can remember... if only it was mandatory to list pH level, as well as ingredients...

Also, does anyone scientifically minded know how far removed chemically that "saponified coconut oil" commonly used in "natural" type cleansers is from SLS? (I believe SLS is also coconut oil derived?) Not that I'm the suspicious type Laughing
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
I personally avoid any product with SLS. There are a few body washes on the market that dont use this, I use Akin and Moogoo both Australian products. Goodluck Smile
mex0050
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
pal I like the sound of the washes you mentioned...but the moogoo is just too expensive for me, I can't do $18 for body wash, I go through the stuff too fast and I'm too broke right now. Does the other stuff have to be ordered online? Anyone know where to get it in US? Does anyone know what Whole Foods Market's policy is on stocking requested items? I think it's a little stupid I'm having such a hard time finding a reasonably priced body wash that isn't bad for my skin and also washes my body!

Dr Bronner's sounded interesting, but I did some reading and although I didn't find anywhere where the pH was listed exactly, I read several times that it is very high. Maybe some people like it, but I would feel dumb spending money on something I already know has a potential problem for me.

I guess I can just order some Akin and try to be happy even though it's yet another product I might have to pay shipping on Rolling Eyes
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
mex0050, I'm sure you could find a good body wash with the right pH at any Health food store at a reasonable price. I know I've bought bar soaps there that were very gentle & moisturizing but I never checked the pH of them. Worth a try anyways.
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:55 pm      Reply with quote
mex0050 wrote:
pal I like the sound of the washes you mentioned...but the moogoo is just too expensive for me, I can't do $18 for body wash, I go through the stuff too fast and I'm too broke right now. Does the other stuff have to be ordered online? Anyone know where to get it in US? Does anyone know what Whole Foods Market's policy is on stocking requested items? I think it's a little stupid I'm having such a hard time finding a reasonably priced body wash that isn't bad for my skin and also washes my body!

Dr Bronner's sounded interesting, but I did some reading and although I didn't find anywhere where the pH was listed exactly, I read several times that it is very high. Maybe some people like it, but I would feel dumb spending money on something I already know has a potential problem for me.

I guess I can just order some Akin and try to be happy even though it's yet another product I might have to pay shipping on Rolling Eyes

Hey mex
Im not to sure where you could get it other than occassionally there are listed on ebay, but either way Im sure you would have to pay for postage. What about weleda body wash?
Alien
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:39 am      Reply with quote
I do NOT agree with Dr Bronner's! It is 100% Castille soap- VERY drying...
Aveeno or any oatmeal OR goats milk product will be most gentle

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:46 am      Reply with quote
In a 2008 study that shook the natural products industry, 100 “natural” and “organic” soaps, shampoos, dish liquids, lotions, body washes, and deodorants were tested and nearly half contained 1,4-Dioxane, a carcinogenic chemical. This toxin has been found in conventional personal care products, but this study, commissioned by the Organic Consumers Association (OCA), was the first to test green products.

In scientific studies, 1,4-Dioxane has caused cancer in animals; scientists have not yet confirmed the long-term effects on humans. The FDA says current levels do not pose a hazard to consumers, but have advised manufacturers to lower amounts in cosmetics as much as possible. None of the products tested that were Certified Organic by the USDA contained 1,4-Dioxane. In response to this study, some of the affected companies have said they will work toward removing 1,4-Dioxane from their products

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:44 am      Reply with quote
I agree with the assertion that it's pH that you should be worrying about. When I used to buy Dr Bonners I would mix is half-n-half with water. That should bring the pH down a bit. I should also add that many products from the health-food store, because they know we're afraid of SLS, have put things like the olefins in their products instead. I find nothing harsher for the skin. Won't touch the stuff.

In my case I also feel confident using SLES although I don't use SLS anymore. I've never had a problem with SLES. I do, when I can, avoid the betaines (hard to do), or look for something that has it further down in the list of ingredients. I find them harsher than any of the sulfates.

I used to play with soap making. Found that coconut oils were way more drying than most of the other oils. Almost everything is made from coconut oils today. Olive oils would be milder.

If it were me, I would use something like Aveeno from the drug store. Very soothing and mild, and I find oatmeal good for my skin. Use some exfoliation with your body wash and you should have it covered.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the tip about Akin. I've used their body wash in the past but wasn't sure about the pH. Seems they do make one pH balanced version, the unscented only (although of course it's not stocked by the aus website i normally buy from, which is prob why i wasn't aware of it)
http://www.purist.com.au/product.php?product=12

In my recent googling, I discovered the Alba body washes are also SLS free and pH balanced
http://www.albabotanica.com/?id=64

Seems there are at least some choices for SLS free, pH balanced body washes...
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
appletini wrote:
thanks for the tip about Akin. I've used their body wash in the past but wasn't sure about the pH. Seems they do make one pH balanced version, the unscented only (although of course it's not stocked by the aus website i normally buy from, which is prob why i wasn't aware of it)
http://www.purist.com.au/product.php?product=12

In my recent googling, I discovered the Alba body washes are also SLS free and pH balanced
http://www.albabotanica.com/?id=64

Seems there are at least some choices for SLS free, pH balanced body washes...

What site do you normally purchase off appletini? Perhaps if you email and request it then may add it to there stock. Most companies here are pretty flexible like that.
HTHS:)
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:58 am      Reply with quote
If you are still avoiding sls cleansers than switch to a gentle cleanser such as Biovera organic skin cleanser. The product is vegan and instead of sls it contains soap wort as the cleansing agent.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:27 am      Reply with quote
WOW... I had NO idea that Bronner's soap might be such a high ph... If I get a chance I will stop by the health food store and pick up some PH strips and let you know... But IF that's the case, then I need to switch this off my kids... They have very soft, not seemingly dry skin... However, one says he itches all the time... I'm never quite sure if he's making that up... as he's not scratching... Hmmm.. Much food for thought...

Arbonne talks a lot about their PH Balanced products... Not sure if they list the PH on their goods...

They are kind of spendy... but if a person signs up as a preferred customer... there's a bigger discount, and they just announced that the are going to allow people to sign up to be a "consultant" (that's technically what I am, although I don't throw parties, or really bother selling it, just sign up my friends if they want it)... and you get a 30% discount, without having to "sponsor" other consultants and such... Their body washes are nice, (I just wouldn't pay full price.)

Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |