Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Favorite HAIR products?? (Slightly OT)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Ravenly
5% products discount

Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
Ok gals, I have come to you with all your face-care wisdom and experience with fabulous results! Smile

It's now time for me to do SOMETHING with this ratty mess on top of my head and I look to you all ONCE AGAIN to list your favorites and not-so-favorites!!

SO, fave shampoo/conditioning combo?? Hair type?

I hate to say I really like Pantene, altho I've heard from MANY MANY "Hair artists" complain that it contains plastics and other horrendous chemicals that will leave me in worse shape than I began. I've tried the Rusk line, but never saw any difference, unless of course there's a long-term effect...

My hair type is somewhat thick (getting thinner the older I get) and has a definate frizzy/unmanageable tendency to it. Parts can curl beautifully, other parts are too pin-straight to ever achieve that glorious head-O-curls look, so I stick with straightening as much as possible. It is a "bob" style right now.
SKiser
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:13 pm      Reply with quote
I have thick wavy/curly hair too. It is oily, just like my face. I use Rusk Moist Shampoo and Calm conditioner. Why you might ask, since I just stated that I have oily hair? Well, my L'Oreal Colorvive ruined my scalp. I had those scaly things start to come up and itching like crazy. I also use a tea tree oil/peppermint shampoo that seems to be helping too. I got it at my local soapmakers. Here's her link:

http://sadiesherbalgarden.com/

My hairdresser said she could see a definate improvement in just one month. She recommended the Calm but use it sparingly. I also use Beyond the Zone Noodlehead(from Sally's Beauty Supply) great for curly hair. hths
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:33 am      Reply with quote
I love john freida products, everything else gives me zits in my hairline and on my neck
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:09 am      Reply with quote
I like MOP Mixed Greens shampoo and the matching conditioner. I haven't tried any of their other products so not sure if they are any good or not.
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:42 am      Reply with quote
I have very fine, long, oily hair with an itchy scalp! Eek. I've switched from Avalon Organics which made my hair nice and soft and shiney but very limp. I'm now using Aubrey Organics Green Tea Shampoo and I finish with their Peppermint Henna Rinse. This seems to be working very well, and I love the tingly feeling the mint leaves on my scalp. Since my hair is very fine, it also tangles extremely easily, so I bought their detangling spray which works nicely too, although if I go overboard my hair becomes greasy. Their hair gel is also fantastic.

Another favorite of mine is Burt's Bees Avocado Hair Butter! OOh if I let this stuff sit on my hair while in the shower my hair is SOOO shiney for at least the next two days, I love it!

I am waiting for my Aubrey's Organics order to arrive with my blue-green algae hair mask, it is supposed to make itchy scalp disappear -- we shall see....
autumn
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:27 am      Reply with quote
I have a huge assortment of hair products. My hair (currently) is dark blonde with a lot of highlights. It is just touching my shoulders. I am trying to get some more length. It is fine textured and can frizz but I have a lot of hair.

I currently shampoo twice, sometimes three times in a week.

I like smoothing products such as John Frieda spotlight can be used on damp or dry hair.

I have to use something to smooth (containing silcones) when blow-drying such as Hask love it straight (purchased at Sally's when in US). I also like Redken Straight, Kenra straightening serum. I also try drugstore products and have purchased Fructis sleek & shine for only $2.50. I have only used once so I am still on the fence on this one (but it does get lots of raves from MUA hair forum.)

I have not found a good drugstore shampoo that I would recommend. I use a shampoo for colour-treated hair when I first get my highlights (at least two weeks) then switch.

Shampoos - currently using Kenra for colour treated; also Matrix sleek line, Biolage fortifying/ also once in a while hydrating (it came w/ the conditioning balm that I LOVE)I also like the Biolage Colour Care shampoo (I am out but want to use up some of what I have first!) I also use Shimmer lights (blue/violet) shampoo once in while if I look brassy.

Conditioners (alternating)
drugstore
Fructis 3 minute mask (paid $2.50 cdn!)
Aussie 3 minute miracle (not a miracle but good!)
I also like Clariol Daily renewal5X leave in spray conditioner. (Gray bottle) I paid under $3.00 from Walmart.

I also like Biolage conditoning balm. It is my fave of salon conditioners. I also use Biolage fortifying conditoner(cream). They also have a spray leave in treatment but I found the Clariol renewal just as good. When I did a Sally's haul I got L'oreal's Nature Therapy and it is very reasonable.

In general I suggest splurging on hair treatments/conditioners and a good shampoo especially if you have chemically treated hair. You can find good products in the drugstore for styling (hairsprays, serums etc.) but it is really hit and miss.

I also suggest getting the Goody "get it straight" clamp type brush for blowdrying. I paid $9.00 from SDM. It is easier to use than a round brush for blowdrying. I also have a flat iron that I ALWAYS use on my (from h#ll - wavy, with wings etc) bangs. I sometimes use it on parts on my hair; but I really prefer to take the time and blowdry and use the flatiron only once in a while as needed.

Sorry so long....as you can tell my passion for healthy hair is almost equal to my search for healthy, glowing skin.
Very Happy

Shock I did not mention all the products I have! I really am a hair care junkie! If you have any questions ask as I probably have tried it!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:47 am      Reply with quote
I already posted a long-winded narrative about one of my fave hair product brands so there’s no sense in repeating myself!...click here to read it: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=2469&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25

In addition to the shampoo/conditioner mentioned in the above thread, I also adore Phytocitrus revitalizing shampoo and revitalizing mask. It’s hard to explain the exact effect but somehow it makes my highlights even brighter and keeps them from turning brassy – especially the shampoo! You really have to SEE it to believe the difference it makes! If you’ve got highlighted hair, the Phytocitrus revit shampoo is a MUST-HAVE product and should be used 2-3 times per week (I shampoo using equal-parts of the L’oreal Natures Therapy Mega Moisture Creme Shampoo and L’oreal Natures Therapy shampoo for color-treated hair the rest of the time). You would not believe what a difference it makes! If you want to try the Phytocitrus products before you buy them, you can ask the sales assistant for samples when you visit your local Sephora store (if they don’t have pre-packaged samples available, then they’ll pour some of the products from the display-sample/s into little containers for you to take home...actually, you can ask for samples of just about anything at Sephora and they’ll be happy to give it to you!!).

You know how most of you here are addicted to trying every new skin care product or line that comes along? That’s the way I am about hair products! My stylist always has dollar signs in her eyes whenever I’m at the salon after a hair cut/style/color because I always drop a small fortunate to try the latest ‘wonder’ product that I have absolutely no eal need for (she gets a percentage of every dollar I spend at the salon)....If I had invested the money rather than spent it on endless hair-care products, I’d probably be a millionaire and could retire by now! Now that’s a sobering thought – quick, hand me one of those luscious white chocolate KitKat bars to ward off the depression!! Very Happy

BTW, FYI – add a couple of drops of Tea Tree Oil to your fave shampoo or conditioner to instantly make your own dandruff shampoo/cond! It’s great way to relief itchy, scaly scalp. Or add a couple of drops of peppermint (essential) oil to your shampoo for a refreshing wake-me-up in the morning....

I could talk about hair-care products until cows come home but I’ll shut up now and give someone else a chance! Wink

HTH!
Carrie
SherriinCanada
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I have super thick naturally curly hair but keep it straight. My I cannot live without products are Tigi Bed Head Dumb Blonde shampoo and conditioner. It isn't just for blondes and although rather pricey I feel well worth it.

The other must for me is Joico's silk result flat iron protection spray and my flat iron of course.

I have tons of other products but those are my three fav and ones I just couldn't live without hehe.

Sherri
deacon
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
When Sephora didn't have whatever product I was looking for, I asked the sales clerk about a fabulous shampoo and conditioner. Figured I may as well pick that up while I was there.

I got the "big sell" on Frederic Fekkai Protein Rx (shampoo & conditioner) it sounded fantastic so I headed to the register. Had no idea how pricey, had no idea I could be so mamby pamby about saying I made a mistake and putting it back.

AM I EVER GLAD I TOOK A BIG GULP AND FORKED OVER THE $65!!!! As crazy as it sounds to drop so much $$ on 16oz (of each), I have never been so amazed with a product, ever.

I have shoulder length, thin, dull, color treated, blond hair, it has been stringy since my childhood. It just hangs unless loads of sticky styling aids are added. I have been resigned to having pretty ordinary hair most of my life - mother and make-up artist friend alike have suggested I should just go short....

Anyway, after the very first use of the shampoo and conditioner, my hair was shiny, did exactly what I had intended it to do when I styled it, and felt incredible!!! AND even though it cost so much more than I would ordinarily spend, I am now washing my hair (with less than a quarter size dollop of product) twice a week. I was an every other night shampoo-er.

I can't endorse this product enough. Crazy as it sounds, I think I am going to break down and purchase for Chirstmas gifts for my Girl's dinner group, I am that excited about it!
Mabsy

Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:15 am      Reply with quote
Oh Deacon, what are you doing to me!!?? I've wandered about FF shampoo/conditioner before but have managed to talk myself out of it. However, I've been trying to get back to the "good ol' days" when I could wash my hair twice a week but it's just not happening... Now I read what you wrote and I'm *so* tempted! Of course, this would be a very expensive exercise given that I don't think you can get FF in Australia....
deacon
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:03 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy -- I have never been so impressed by any kind of product results, period. I still can't believe my hair quality. I went to Las Vegas for three days and decided to stick with my travel size shampoo that stays packed. My husband crawled up the stairs and fell into bed at 2am, I couldn't think to do anything but wash my hair!!! And that's the beauty of my results, I generally wash my hair at night and go to sleep on a wet head - I wake up and brush it out, AND IT LOOKS WONDERFUL!

Got any friends travelling soon?

Good luck!

Melissa
Mabsy

Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:46 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Melissa - I shall be keeping my eye on eBay I think Laughing
dalguy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
I love Kenra. (www.kenra.com)

I love the moisturizing shampoo/conditioner.

kenra.com will send you HUGE samples if you email their CS.

You can take a look at their product line and ask for the samples you like.
zanygirl

Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
Ravenly

I hear you sister!

Living in Brisbane in summer can be a nightmare if you have long thick frizzy hair like mine!

I am lucky enough to have found a brilliant hairdresser who has stopped me from walking around with that 'I stuck my knife in the toaster' look.

The one product she insists I use is:
DELVA WELLA SPRAY SHEEN

Spray it onto your hair before you blowdry and it will help stop your hair from becoming frizzy and dry.

THe other product I would highly recommend is De Lorenzo's Oul Balance. Spray it into your hair the night before you wash it and it will also help to stop the frizziness and dryness!

Apart from that I use Deep Care Blonde Revivor (note, I am a brunette) shampoo and conditioner. Great stuff and it sparkles.

Hope this helps!
Mabsy

Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:53 am      Reply with quote
Zanygirl, Could you please PM me if you don't mind sharing who your hair dresser is? I live in Bris too and I'm always on the lookout for someone who I can call "my hairdresser". Have not yet found one that I was so thrilled with that I would always go back... TIA Anxious
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:32 am      Reply with quote
Hmmm, I used the FF "Moisturizing Conditioner w/ Shea Butter" and I must say I was LESS than impressed. My hair actually felt dry and crunchy after using it...the experience was such that I am leery of trying any of his other shampoos or conditioners. On the other hand, I adore his "Glossing Cream with Olive Oil" (it's second only to my Aveda Brilliance Styling Cream...I think that's the proper name for it -- that stuff makes your hair so glossy it's almost mirror-like!!)so maybe I'll give that Protein stuff a try...better yet, I'll request samples next time I stop by my Sephora. Smile

Carrie
vegas gal
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
I love Tigis products both beadhead and cat walk. Now they also have some body products that I'm dying to try, I think I'll run down to my local supply store and pick me up some of the sugar scrub that they just got in Very Happy .
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
I have very thick, course hair and it is in a bob not quite to the shoulders.

I have the itchy scalp problem if I don't keep it treated. I use Nioxin Bionutrient Protectives in their hair cleanser and Scalp Therapy. It has that minty smell and tingly feel and works very well. I use those two every time I shampoo, but then use Redken SoSoft conditioner after the Scalp Therapy.

Using a blow dryer gel that my hairdresser gave me as a Christmas present, don't even know the name.

My "can't live without" is my H2Pro straightening iron. Since my hair is greying, as it grows out, the areas on the side of the head that grey first, get fuzzy. The straightening iron is only about an inch across and easy to handle and heats to 450 degrees. So, it makes the hair silky smooth and shiny.

Between shampoos if I need a little extra styling, I use a mixture of liquid minerals in a spray bottle and the hairdryer and it looks almost as good as when it's freshly shampoo'd.

JUDY

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:18 am      Reply with quote
I have long, straight, fine, blonde hair. I don't color or perm it so it's it great shape for 35 (next month). I almost never use a hair dryer and try not to wash or brush it too much. I trim it myself - usually just before a special night out so it looks really healthy.

The products I love are Redken All Soft shampoo & conditioner and a few drops of Bain de Terre Recovery Complex on the ends. I recently got samples from Sephora of the Frederic Fekkai Glossing Cream and the Moisturizing Conditioner with Shea Butter and loved them so I ordered them plus the Apple Cider Clarifying Shampoo. I haven't received the order yet.

My sister sent me this website: http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/ so I could check the products I've been using for harmful ingredients. The Redken All Soft Shampoo is rated 8.6 - with a score of 10 being the worst. Frederic Fekkai products aren't listed on the site but you can also search based on specific ingredients.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:04 am      Reply with quote
vegas gal wrote:
I love Tigis products both beadhead and cat walk.
Did you know Sally's Beauty Supply has a line of products called "Beyond the Zone" that are nearly identical to Bedhead? It's 1/3 the price, too! Very Happy
vegas gal
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:15 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
vegas gal wrote:
I love Tigis products both beadhead and cat walk.
Did you know Sally's Beauty Supply has a line of products called "Beyond the Zone" that are nearly identical to Bedhead? It's 1/3 the price, too! Very Happy

I'll have to check it out! More money saved so I can buy more products!! . I get my products at salon cost because I have a cosmo license Very Happy
emma1
5% products discount

Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:54 am      Reply with quote
I love Aveda hair products Very Happy

I use Colour Conserve, Sap Moss (extremely hydrating), Hair Brilliance (excellent for keeping those pesky frizzies at bay) and Control Paste for shaping.

Emma x
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |