Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
DIY Volumizing Lemon Hair Spray
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
doba
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
I found the recipe for this volumazing spray on the Russian forum. It is very easy to make and I like it very much. For the last few years I mainly used SKB, but for the last six weeks I only use this spray and I like it even better. It is also much, much cheaper and I can make it any time I want. I took it to my hairdresser to use on my hair after a hair cut and she was also very impressed and asked for the recipe. My hair is short, but people on the forum where I found this formula are saying that it works on any hair length and type.

I use it instead of a hair gel. It is very lightweight (I don’t feel it at all) and it provides a medium hold. It also gives the hair a wonderful volume/fullness. It lifts my hair and adds long-lasting support that stands up even in high humidity. My hair looks shinier, too. In addition, the hair feels and looks fresher much longer and now there is no need for me to wash my hair every day.

Use:
I spray it over towel-dried hair from roots to ends. Style and blow-dry as usual.
On the days that I don’t wash the hair I also spray my dry hair with it and style and blow-dry as usual.

Ingredients:
1 lemon with skin
7 oz of water
1 teaspoon of alcohol (optional)

Instructions:
Cut the lemon into several pieces, place them in a small sauce pot with thick bottom and a tight lid and cover with water (thick bottom and a tight lid - very important).

Bring the water to the boiling point, make the fire as small as possible (VERY IMPORTANT), cover the pot with a tight lid and let it simmer for about 3 - 3.5 hours. You don’t have to mix it, just make sure for it not to get burned. When the liquid is reduced to about ½, turn the gas off and let it cool. Then strain the liquid and if you wish you can add one tea spoon of alcohol as a preservative (I don’t do it, instead I pour a small amount in the spray bottle and keep it in the refrigerator and the rest I store in the freezer). Even if you add the alcohol, it still should be stored in the refrigerator.

Enjoy.
lazydazy29
5% products discount

Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting the recipe it sounds just what I need.
doba
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
You are welcome.

I hope you'll like it as much as I do.
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
I need volume!!! Thanks for posting this I am going to give it a go since it looks so simple. Smile
doba
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
You are welcome.

It is very simple and cheap. Try to make it, you have nothing to loose. Everyone has water and most people have lemons.

Just make sure that you use a small sauce pot with a thick bottom and a tight lid. Also the fire should be very low. Otherwise it will burn since it needs to simmer for about three hours.
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
Does it work the same without alcohol?

I usually wash my hair every morning, if I don't have time to do it, I will brush some Baby Powder on my scalp, then brush them away, also gives volume/fullness, but only can last for one day.
doba
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
I didn't try it with alcohol. I am afraid that it will be very drying for my hair.

Some people modified it and made it in a gel form and they like it too. I didn't use it as a gel since I am happy with the original spray, but if you are interested, I will post the gel recipe.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:12 am      Reply with quote
doba wrote:
Some people modified it and made it in a gel form and they like it too. I didn't use it as a gel since I am happy with the original spray, but if you are interested, I will post the gel recipe.

I would like to see the gel recipe, thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:33 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
doba wrote:

Me, too - please post the gel recipe.
doba
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:49 am      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
Keliu wrote:
doba wrote:

Me, too - please post the gel recipe.

O.K. here it is.

Please note that I personally didn’t make/use this gel. This is the formula that I found on the Russian forum. I am just translating it.

To make this in a gel form, add to the lemon spray:

Chitosan – 1.5 ml
Squalane oil - 5 ml
Panthenol – 2 ml

Mix everything together. The above ingredients are added for moisturizing properties.

After all of the above is mixed, in order to thicken the gel you need to add:

Guar Gum (powder) – very little (at the end of a knife)
Xanthan Gum Powder – very little (at the end of a knife)

Mix everything together. The hair gel is ready.

I hope you'll like it as much as I like the original spray.
lazydazy29
5% products discount

Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
Well I have made the lemon concoction and now waiting for it to cool. Will report back once I have used it.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
I forgot to get a lemon when I went to the grocery store.

What is Chitosan and where can I buy it?
doba
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
I forgot to get a lemon when I went to the grocery store.

What is Chitosan and where can I buy it?

In Russia they use Chitosan as a moisturizing component in creams and hair products. I don’t know where to buy it here in US. However, I don’t think that this is an essential ingredient.

I think that essential ingredients for this gel are Guar Gum powder and Xanthan Gum powder since they are used to thicken the gel. Also, some people from the Russian forum add a little of Aloe Vera Gel and a few drops of essential oil to the formula.

Here I found some information on Chitosan:
http://russianbilberry.com/en/products/preparations/substance_54.html
doba
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
lazydazy29 wrote:
Well I have made the lemon concoction and now waiting for it to cool. Will report back once I have used it.

I hope it will work for you. Waiting for your review.
happygolucky
5% products discount

Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:18 am      Reply with quote
Doba,

any chance this can lighten the hair because of the lemon?
doba
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
I personally don't know. However, people from the Russian forum believe that this spray doesn’t lighten the hair.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
Doba,

I have heard that the lemon may lighten hair, or give it a beautiful highlight.

I think you are a genius - it sound so simple and good at the same time.

May I ask you - which Russian forum?

Zaranee Bolshoe Spasibo!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
sigma wrote:
May I ask you - which Russian forum?

Sigma,

here it is:
http://forum.aromarti.ru/index.php

Лосьон для укладки волос
http://forum.aromarti.ru/showthread.php?t=4164

It is very informative. I absolutely love it.

Pozhalusta.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Doba,

thank you so much for the info and excellent recipe.

I am going to try it either this weekend or next, as soon as I have a bit of time.

Thanks again!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
Sigma,

You are very welcome.
Leggy 61
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
doba, When you say lemon with skin do you mean the rind and just cut up the whole lemon or peel it first?
doba
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
Leggy 61 wrote:
doba, When you say lemon with skin do you mean the rind and just cut up the whole lemon or peel it first?

Leggy,

You need to cut the whole lemon with skin. Do not peel it.
lazydazy29
5% products discount

Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:53 am      Reply with quote
I made it exactly how Doba told us. I think it is great. I've used it for a couple of days and held off reviewing it to be absolutely sure I like it. I've found it great for holding a tousled effect and as I have fine thin shoulder length hair it gives some body and texture to it which is pretty amazing as in Florida humidity my hair has always looked lank and oily.

Thank you Doba!
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:27 am      Reply with quote
Does the acidity of the lemons dry out your hair? Thanks!

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
doba
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
lazydazy29 wrote:
I made it exactly how Doba told us. I think it is great. I've used it for a couple of days and held off reviewing it to be absolutely sure I like it. I've found it great for holding a tousled effect and as I have fine thin shoulder length hair it gives some body and texture to it which is pretty amazing as in Florida humidity my hair has always looked lank and oily.

Thank you Doba!

You are welcome.

I am very glad that it works for you and you like it.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:16 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |