Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Hi everyone new here, questions about Obagi...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Nala
5% products discount

Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:33 am      Reply with quote
How much time is one to wait between application of the products? Also, I've heard that Retin-A can be rendered inactive from exposure to sunlight, does this mean that the blender and Retin-A must only always be applied at night?

I was advised Obagi cleanser, blender, clear, and vitamin-c serum (occasionally). For some scars I have on my arms. There are quite a few darkened scars (hyperpigmentation.) Everyone seems to have contradicting advice...even derms! It's understandle that we all diff points of view, but it's can very frustrating.

Hope someone can help. Also any other tips in regards to Obagi would be very helpful. I've read through and searched some posts as well.

Thanks in advance Smile
SherriinCanada
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:05 am      Reply with quote
Hi Nala and welcome to the forum,

I have used Obagi since January and to follow is the protocol prescribed for me:

Morning
Gentle Cleanser
Toner
Vitamin C serum
Exfoderm

Evening
Gentle Cleanser
Toner
Blender mixed with Retin A

I wasn't prescribed the clear so am not sure where that fits in. In some cases they prescribe the Retin A twice daily.

Hope this helps.

Sherri
Nala
5% products discount

Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the clearing that up. I was advised to use the blender twice a day, but a few people have said it's ineffective. I think I'll stick to what was prescribed.

In order of use: cleanser, blender, and clear. And Vit. C 2 or 3 times/wk.

How long do you wait after each product to apply the next? Something to do with Ph balance? Not sure...I always thought it was alright to apply products right after washing. I usually wait about 5-10 mins though.

Hopefully you're enjoying the results Smile
SherriinCanada
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi Nala,

I dont' wait any time in between applying other than a minute after the Vit C to allow it to sink in.

That is what I was told to do but do agree they all seem to have varying opinions.

I have had great results with Obagi and call it my change your life product.

Good luck and feel free to ask for help anytime.

Sherri
bumblebee

Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:27 am      Reply with quote
Hi Nala

I totally agree with Sherrin, it really does change your life:-

I use in the morning:-
Gentle cleanser
Toner
Clear

Evening:-
Gentle cleanser
Toner
Blender mixed with Retin A

You can use the Reting A (i use one called Retinova) twice a day, however I prefer not to put it on in the morning otherwise I spend the day at work peeling!

Hope this helps

Bumblebeexxxxx
Nala
5% products discount

Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:26 am      Reply with quote
Yay! Those words are encouraging.

I have another question...where in the routine does everyone fit in eye cream?

In the day I'm currently using Murad Essential-C and for night I've got a sample of Murad Renewing cream, and am thinking of getting Dr. Brandt's lineless.

Is it okay to apply Retin-A to the eye area once in a while? I'm just wondering since it's fairly potent it may help to apply every other night or less.

TIA Smile
SherriinCanada
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Nala,
I was told by the derm who orginally put me on Obagi to keep it away from my eye area. Since then I had a consult with a Plastic surgeon who also is a major fan of Obagi and told me to use the Retin A under the eye area.

I have started using it about every other nite and so far so good for me. As for eye creams I use mine in the morning before applying my makeup and the Retin A at nite.

The PS I recently consulted told me to also use Md Forte Rejuvenating eye cream under my eye area. I haven't tried it yet as I am waiting for my order to arrive.

Good Luck I really think you will be pleased with Obagi.

Sherri
gena

Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:42 am      Reply with quote
Hi Nala
I'm also new here but thought I'd give you my routine also, I'm on my 11th week and completly love this stuff, When I started I didn't space out any of the products but then I read you should wait 30 minutes between cleansing and applying Retin A products so I waited 30 between the MD Forte and Tretinoin. I never got the eye cream even though I asked about it so how do you like it? Here goes

Morning

Foaming Cleanser
Toner
Clear
MD Forte Facial Cream III (30% Glycolic I think)
(Started with Blender and
1 gram of Tretinoin for 8 weeks now I don't use this in morning though)
Obagi 45 Spf sunscreen

After 8 weeks I started using Hydroderm in the morning and I'm almost out of MD Forte so I'll start using the Exfoderm in its place

Evening

Foaming Cleanser
Toner
Clear
Blender
with 1/2 gram Tazorac instead of Tretinoin after 8 weeks

Evenings have stayed the same except now I only use Retin A every other night instead of every and I only use 1/2 instead of 1 gram.

Whew! And I only used oatmeal soap and water before ('Very Happy')

I saw noticable results after about 5 or 6 weeks. I have very light skin so the aesthetition sp? said I could tolerate an agressive regimen, when I went to a regular dermatolgist a few weeks ago she flipped out that I was using a gram of Tretinoin and MD Forte with any kind of Retin A product at all. Who knows!?! But my skin looks really great. Let me know how it works out for you ('Smile')

good luck,
gena
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
I've been eyeing obagi for quite a while now and havebeen too chicken, for lack of a beter wotd to try it -what with all the stories about hydraquinone etc. I don't get the miracle. The ingredient is hydraquinone, I mean you could get that anywhere. What's doing the work, retin-a or the bleach? How long can you use it safely? I'm confused... One question for Obagiists (actually 2) -isn't clear and blender the same thing? Why would you need both? Do I have to forget my beloved vit c serum ? thanks
gena

Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Marina

I don't know what the miracle is honestly, and I haven't tried the retin-a without the obagi so it's possible that retin-a is what makes the huge difference BUT I know a few people who have tried retin-a alone and didn't like it. I had really "thick skin" and the retin-a peeled away alot of the top layers so its much smoother now. I keep using the obagi because I really like the way the cleanser cleans my face without stripping it, the toner is good, and well I think the clear lightens the red spots I get from the TOM breakouts I get sometimes. I use barely any blender at all, and when my face started getting used to the retin-a and wasn't peeling as much I used even less so I would think you could get away with not using Blender once in the maintenance phase, I don't know. But IMO they work so well togeather because the Obagi does such a great job prepping the skin for the retin-a. Seperatly I doubt they're awesome.
bumblebee

Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
I think you WHOLE regime is brilliant

I have used Retin A in the past without Obagi and i didn't get the fabulous results I do when I use the whole Obagi range
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
ok. Gena, God know it's not hard to sell me on stuff-usually I sell myself on it. Just a couple of questions; which cleanse do you use-if it's the gel, does it safely take off eye make-up as well? and what the difference between the clear and the blender?? Thank you
gena

Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
I'm the same way I buy everything. But this stuff really works for me.

I use the foaming gel and I do take off my eye makeup with it unless I've got some serious mascara on and I use a regular eye makeup remover to get that off then go over my whole face with the gel. But only a little under my eyes with everything else since the skin on eyelids are so sensitive

As for the clear the bottle says its a skin bleaching and corrector cream and the blender is a skin lightner and blending cream their ingredients are different but the main in both is 4% hydroquinone

That's a good question but I don't actually know the real difference except the blender smells awful and the clear doesn't as much. But I would assume the blender is more about getting an even application of the retin-a and probably cutting it down to ease you into such an agressive use of it. Since when I wasn't peeling as much my aesthetition (totally can't spell that) told me to cut my blender in half. That's my silly assumption but I'm interested to know too since its almost $60 a bottle!
SherriinCanada
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:35 am      Reply with quote
Hi Medena,

I too have no earthly clue why the products work so well. I do swear they have made more improvement in my skin than any product or procedure I have had done.

As to being able to use vitamin c with it I do. The original derm who prescribed me Obagi told me to use my the vit c with it.

Good luck if you do choose to go with Obagi.

Sherri
Nala
5% products discount

Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hello everyone, thanks for the replies Smile

One of the main things that drew to me to the Obagi regimen was the fact it worked at the cellular level where as, many products simply treat skin on the surface.

Also, doing my "research" I've found that either people are extremely satisfied or absolutely dislike the products. Before I started I really looked into the skin cycles (~6 weeks each) and knew that if I really wanted to benefit I'd have to stick it out even if my initially my skin started looking worse. Now for me, that's a task in itself since I'm always looking for new products to try lol.

So far it's been a week, but I truly hope this helps fade my scars.

The entire system has about 5 different steps (I don't do all) but irrc they all treat the skin in a different way (supposedly?) The clear/exforderm is to correct what it is you are trying to correct, and the blender w/retin-a is to stimulate the skin where it boosts the synthesis of collagen and elastin.

I was so skeptical about using hydroquinone mainly because it's banned in most European/African/Asian countries. But, after looking into more info, I found that hydroquinone is a very effective IF used correctly at a safe strength - I had assumed it was just bad, bad, bad. And of course, religious use of sunscreen.

I also fit the Vitamic C serum into my routine somehow, it's a lot of prods but am hopeful!

Phew, that was a long post...hope it helps.
beautyfashaddict
5% products discount

Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
Ive tried the obagi clear, the blender with tretinoin and the sunblock and I experienced major redness and heavy peeling for the next 2-3 months. . I just couldnt tolerate it, so I stopped. My aestetician told me that it causes thinning of the skin which creates higher sensitivity to the sun and greater chance of hyperpigmentation or brown spots. As for my dermatologist claims that Retina A or other chemical exfoliants doesnt cause thinning of the skin. Who's right? I just wished my skin didnt get so red from using these products and I didnt even use that much to put on my face. You would think after 3 months use it would subside.
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:04 pm      Reply with quote
beautyashaddict,

I know how you feel. I also gave up on obagi after 4 months of redness, peeling, and sensitivity Sad
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:21 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |