Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Dry Brushing
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:14 am      Reply with quote
Hey! I decided to order a dry brush online, it might come today.. but before I got it, I wanted to make sure I was doing it right.

So obviously you use the dry brush on a dry face? And from what I could find while researching, I know that you're supposed to do little circular motions clockwise and counterclockwise, depending on what side of the face you're doing? Will it be okay to use the brush under my eyes?

I got a dry brush because I heard it could be effective at thickening the skin, and also heard that it's a great way to exfoliate.

Anyone who has a drybrush, or knows how to use one...feel free to put any information or tips that you may have for me!
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:20 am      Reply with quote
Teresa Tapp of t-tapp has devised a facial brushing sequence you can read on their website thats worth looking at ( http://forum.t-tapp.com/showthread.php?t=62917&highlight=face+dry+brushing ).

Begin with brushing up on the neck and then on the face, you brush up and out:
·Jaw line - brush out in circular motions towards ear.
·Cheekbones - brush out in circular motions towards ear.
·Forehead - start in middle of forehead and brush out on each side towards temple.
·Nose - small circular movements over the nose.
·Under eyes - tiny, light circular motions from outer eye in towards the nose (not out towards ear)

There are many schools of though, but I wouldn't give up dry brushing my face for the world, and do the undereye, upper lid and above the lid too!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:40 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Sean!

My brush JUST came in the mail, and I gave it a try before showering. It feels odd, having a dry face and brushing with a dry brush. I feel like I could somehow be damaging my skin and causing abrasions, but I guess a lot of people do this, so it has to be okay?

I don't know if I did it correctly, I'll get better as time goes on.

My skin is kind of thin/sensitive so I'm going to take it a bit easy. I didn't do under my eyes yet, because I'm scared it'll tug & irritate the thin skin under my eyes and worsen things!

Also, about my nose, I have some broken capillaries on my nose, so would you advice AGAINST dry brushing my nose, will it aggravate them more??

Thanks again... anyone else with any tips? Feel free to let me know!

I just don't want to do it wrong and end up damaging my skin.
photoqueen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:01 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Sean. Very helpful and informative.
PQ

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:15 am      Reply with quote
LOL any time we do something new it feels strange, and it did for me when I started, but I can't tell you now there is not a day I don't dry brush. Don't think you need to push the brush into the skin, your just brushing the surface, and in doing so your remove dead cells and also encourage circulation too.

The body is supposed to be dry brushed, but for people who find it too difficult initially they may try brushing on damp skin and work up to doing it on dry.

The results speak for themselves really and you should feel your skin once you have dry brushed, its smooth and feels lovely!
EC413 wrote:
Thanks Sean!

My brush JUST came in the mail, and I gave it a try before showering. It feels odd, having a dry face and brushing with a dry brush. I feel like I could somehow be damaging my skin and causing abrasions, but I guess a lot of people do this, so it has to be okay?

I don't know if I did it correctly, I'll get better as time goes on.

My skin is kind of thin/sensitive so I'm going to take it a bit easy. I didn't do under my eyes yet, because I'm scared it'll tug & irritate the thin skin under my eyes and worsen things!

Also, about my nose, I have some broken capillaries on my nose, so would you advice AGAINST dry brushing my nose, will it aggravate them more??

Thanks again... anyone else with any tips? Feel free to let me know!

I just don't want to do it wrong and end up damaging my skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Thanks so much Sean!

Yes, I'll have to remember today when I do it, not to push too hard. I have a tendency of doing everything "too rough", even brushing my teeth!

So it's completely okay to do it everyday?

Also, will it aggravate existing broken capillaries, or do you not know?

You're definitely right about the results! Just once, doing it yesterday, my skin felt like a babies bottom! Even my nose, which has felt dry for a while feels like brand new skin. I love it. Glad I stumbled upon dry brushing.

Thanks again!
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:12 am      Reply with quote
Another great resource for dry skin brushing--in addition to T-tapp's dry skin brushing system--is Dr. Berkowsky's Vital Chi Skin Brushing System, available here:
www.dryskinbrushing.net

Like the T-tapp program, the Vital Chi Skin Brushing program has you brushing in a specific sequence to better activate lymphatic drainage. Roughly speaking, his sequence for the face is to brush by starting at the bottom of the face and working upwards, doing 7 circles in each area (except the eyes) with a soft brush.

I know that of all the dry skin brushing programs, the ones I've heard the most raves about are the T-tapp one and the Vital Chi one.

HTH Smile

Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:35 am      Reply with quote
There are a few good dry brushing thread links here too, particularly lunarmm's "how-to" tips thread where she shared some dry brushing tips and techniques from her Donna Eden Energy Medicine program class:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=474344#474344
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:45 am      Reply with quote
Its worth monitoring it and seeing how you go, but for most people every day is fine.

With broken capillaries, its more like to aggrivate them if you are prone to them being damaged easily, but the general consensus that I read says that over time dry skin brushing helps them become more toned and stronger.

EC413 wrote:
Thanks so much Sean!

Yes, I'll have to remember today when I do it, not to push too hard. I have a tendency of doing everything "too rough", even brushing my teeth!

So it's completely okay to do it everyday?

Also, will it aggravate existing broken capillaries, or do you not know?

You're definitely right about the results! Just once, doing it yesterday, my skin felt like a babies bottom! Even my nose, which has felt dry for a while feels like brand new skin. I love it. Glad I stumbled upon dry brushing.

Thanks again!

Dr Berkowsky's Chi Brushing system is good for the body (and I used to recommend his program), but he doesn't believe the eye area should be brushed at all, I think he probably did that to avoid having to deal with emails about the under eye area puffying up etc.

cm5597 wrote:
Another great resource for dry skin brushing--in addition to T-tapp's dry skin brushing system--is Dr. Berkowsky's Vital Chi Skin Brushing System, available here:
www.dryskinbrushing.net

Like the T-tapp program, the Vital Chi Skin Brushing program has you brushing in a specific sequence to better activate lymphatic drainage. Roughly speaking, his sequence for the face is to brush by starting at the bottom of the face and working upwards, doing 7 circles in each area (except the eyes) with a soft brush.

I know that of all the dry skin brushing programs, the ones I've heard the most raves about are the T-tapp one and the Vital Chi one.

HTH Smile

Maggio's no Lipo Lipo has a massage method, but also a method similar to dry brushing using her special glove mits, which I think is very comparable to dry brushing as it does exfoliate and energise the body skin too.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:52 am      Reply with quote
Dumb questions: I looked at both the T-Tapp and Vital Chi sites, and neither seems to sell a brush. Where do you all get your brushes? What does a dry brushing brush look like? I assume i cannot just walk into CVS and get a little pocket brush for my face?
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:05 am      Reply with quote
With t-tapp one comes with the entire CRT system, but they sell the brush separately:

https://store.t-tapp.com/products/CRT-Skin-Tightening-Body-Brush.html

https://store.t-tapp.com/products/CRT-Body-Brush-with-Instructions-and-CD-Combo.html

With the brushes though you want to go for natural, as synethic will scratch your skin.
Hermosa wrote:
Dumb questions: I looked at both the T-Tapp and Vital Chi sites, and neither seems to sell a brush. Where do you all get your brushes? What does a dry brushing brush look like? I assume i cannot just walk into CVS and get a little pocket brush for my face?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:07 am      Reply with quote
This might also help:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2126795_buy-dry-brush-exfoliation.html

Its definitely worth visiting your local health food store as they usually have some great ones that you can look at and are relatively inexpensive.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:09 am      Reply with quote
Hermosa wrote:

I purchased mine from eBay.

$5 including shipping. It's a little wooden handheld brush with natural bristles.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:32 am      Reply with quote
I haven't experimented with different brands, but I'm very content with the Earth Therapeutics brand (http://www.earththerapeutics.com/) of dry skin brushes. I don't remember where I purchased mine, but you can usually buy them at Whole Foods and many natural food or body care stores. Also, several online stores carry them. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:41 am      Reply with quote
P.S. In case it helps,

* For my face, I usually use either Nancy of NCNSkincare's microfiber cloth or I use Carole Maggio's exfoliation mitt, both of which I absolutely and equally adore (though they give slightly different types of exfoliation). I used to use this Earth Therapeutics loofah product on my face: http://www.earththerapeutics.net/prodinfo.asp?number=7106, but I like the first two items I mentioned first better, as they give a smoother exfoliation.

* For my body, I use http://www.earththerapeutics.net/prodinfo.asp?number=69440. I mostly like the long handle, as it makes it easier to reach my back, but sometimes I find it gets in the way. One thing to consider is if you want a brush with a long handle or not (I think T-tapp has brushes with no handles), and I believe some brushes have detachable handles, so you can have the best of both worlds. Smile

* I use this brush for my feet: http://www.earththerapeutics.net/prodinfo.asp?number=9410

I don't know if these particular products are the absolute best products out there in their own genres, but no question, they are definitely solid, quality products.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:44 am      Reply with quote
Thanks all. Now that I know what they look like, I'll see if I can pick one up at Whole Foods. I am a huge fan of online shopping but I hate paying as much for shipping as the item itself costs!
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:46 am      Reply with quote
Ack! Sorry for the multiple posts. One last great dry skin brushing resource--also great, but less popular--is Dr. Denice Moffat's webpages on dry skin brushing, which can be found here: http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.com/HealingTechniques/Dry_Brushing_Technique.htm. She also tends to advocate a particular system and sequence of skin brushing. HTH Smile

5% products discount

Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone dry brush and use retin a?
semolinapilchard
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
I haven't experimented with different brands, but I'm very content with the Earth Therapeutics brand (http://www.earththerapeutics.com/) of dry skin brushes. I don't remember where I purchased mine, but you can usually buy them at Whole Foods and many natural food or body care stores. Also, several online stores carry them. Smile

glad to hear it. i just picked up the little foot-shaped one at wf not having seen your post. perfect size for cheeks, etc. but hopefully is alright in terms of the bristles for the face. seeing as how you have it, do you have any opinion on its suitability for facial brushing compared to the one you actually do use on your face? seems sort of alright to me but this is hardly my realm of expertise here.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
semolinapilchard wrote:
glad to hear it. i just picked up the little foot-shaped one at wf not having seen your post. perfect size for cheeks, etc. but hopefully is alright in terms of the bristles for the face. seeing as how you have it, do you have any opinion on its suitability for facial brushing compared to the one you actually do use on your face? seems sort of alright to me but this is hardly my realm of expertise here

Oh gosh, I dunno. I've never thought to use the foot brush on my face...and well, now that I've used it on my feet, I don't want to try it out on my face. Personally, I'd rather use some sort of microfiber cloth than facial brush, but just thinking aloud, I wonder if it might be comparable to a loofah, but a little less scratchy?? I do know there are some who swear by using a facial brush, but I just don't know enough about it. Sorry I can't help here.

Btw, for those interested, another skin brush brand I hear a lot about is Yerba Prima: http://www.yerba.com/storefront/item.asp?id=73, but I haven't tried this brand.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
The Yerba Prima is the Brand that T-Tapp sells... and I've been able to pick them up with a removable handle at Whole Foods (I think $6-Cool

Nice brush...

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
Oh gosh, I dunno.

dude. don't apologize for not being able to help! thanks though. too bad i missed the yerba prima at wf but good to know.
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:25 am      Reply with quote
I dry brush before applying my micro gel, but I also use CPs the following morning and do that almost daily (unless I'm using an exfoliator which I do once a week).
myblu wrote:
Does anyone dry brush and use retin a?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:44 am      Reply with quote
Ahhh, I noticed since dry brushing a few NEW broken capillaries have show up on my face. One right below my eye, and another on my cheek. They're both light, but will only get worse with time. The broken capillaries on my nose have also become worse since dry brushing and now my nose looks even more red! Is there anything I can do about this? If I continue to dry-brush will my skin thicken? Or should I completely stop now before it get's worse?
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
EC413 wrote:
Ahhh, I noticed since dry brushing a few NEW broken capillaries have show up on my face. One right below my eye, and another on my cheek. They're both light, but will only get worse with time. The broken capillaries on my nose have also become worse since dry brushing and now my nose looks even more red! Is there anything I can do about this? If I continue to dry-brush will my skin thicken? Or should I completely stop now before it get's worse?

Has anyone else experienced this while dry brushing?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |