Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

When will it stop - peeling from Retin A?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using 0.025% strength once or twice a week for about 6 months now. And I still get peelings/flakes on the 2nd day or 3rd day after my bi-weekly application. I thought most of you say your skin should get use to it after inital 4-6 weeks. How come my peeling never goes away?Someone please enlighten me!
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:48 am      Reply with quote
I think you need to use it MORE! Your infrequent use is not helping your skin adjust to it. I would suggest using it at least every other day and I think your skin will start adjusting. If it is winter where you are, the dry air is probably not helping. Sleep with a humidifier in your bedroom at night if you can and moisturize with emu or another heavy oil on those "off" days.
Good luck!

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Nothing is set in stone with Retin A, because we are all so different and we all have different amounts of damage in different places and different genes. I suspect like mountaingirl has said to you already, your infrequent use of it is the reason for these results. Some people don't experiencing peeling for the first year of using it, so your way ahead of those folks already (hopefully thats some comfort!).

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:23 am      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
I think you need to use it MORE! Your infrequent use is not helping your skin adjust to it.

Yes, I totally agree. Your skin can't adjust to it with 1 or 2 times a week usage. (This is what happens to a lot of people on Nu Derm either when they start out or when they go on maintenance. When they UP the amount of usage of Retin A to more days a week, the peeling starts to dissipate after a few weeks.)
Lilac19
5% products discount

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:49 am      Reply with quote
I'm having the same problem. I started using it every day about 2 weeks ago after reading that you should use it about 5-6 times per week and my face turned as red as a tomato in spots and was so itchy I couldn't stand it. This past week I got a derma roller and after a few days of rolling I mixed some Retin A with some hemp seed oil and put that on and the next day my face was just as bad, not as red but very itchy. So I applied small amounts of the hemp oil throughout the day and that seemed to help but now I'm not so sure if I should continue with the Retin A. It's the gel 0.1% from ADC. Expiration date is 2011. Am I using too much? Or is my skin just that sensitive? Any advice?
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:54 am      Reply with quote
Lilac19 wrote:
I'm having the same problem. I started using it every day about 2 weeks ago after reading that you should use it about 5-6 times per week and my face turned as red as a tomato in spots and was so itchy I couldn't stand it. This past week I got a derma roller and after a few days of rolling I mixed some Retin A with some hemp seed oil and put that on and the next day my face was just as bad, not as red but very itchy. So I applied small amounts of the hemp oil throughout the day and that seemed to help but now I'm not so sure if I should continue with the Retin A. It's the gel 0.1% from ADC. Expiration date is 2011. Am I using too much? Or is my skin just that sensitive? Any advice?

Lilac you might need to start at a lower strength.
I started at the lowest strength using it 2 days the first week, then 3 days the next week etc. gradually working up till I was using it nightly. HTH
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:25 am      Reply with quote
Lilac19 wrote:
It's the gel 0.1% from ADC. Expiration date is 2011. Am I using too much? Or is my skin just that sensitive? Any advice?

That is the highest strength you can use, and the gel form is the most potent (with a lot of alcohol in the base). You probably should get the cream version and the 0.05%. (Please tell me you did not apply the Retin A gel right after you used the dermaroller?)
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:37 am      Reply with quote
I agree with the others 0.1% packs quite a punch and would be too strong for most people to start off with. I'm using 0.1% of the microgel, but had to work up to that, and was using 0.5% for a good few years before then.

5% products discount

Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:50 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl

No I waited a few hrs after rolling to put it on. Is there anything I can dilute it with? I just got an order from ADC on Monday and I don't want to spend another $25 in postage.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Lilac19 wrote:

OUCH! My face hurt just reading this. Starting on 0.1%??? Yipes Shock Waaaaay too strong to start on. After 20 something years on Retin A, I still can't tolerate the 0.1% gel and my skin is "well seasoned" from RA. I also would not use a dermaroller if my face was already red and peeling---and Retin A and hemp oil doesn't sound like a good combination to me...but maybe someone else knows better about this. I would like to suggest rewinding this routine. Start using the .025 and let your skin adjust before moving up and don't dermaroll until you skin has settled down. Apply the hemp oil on the days you skip the Retin A to ultra moisturize it. My 2 cents! Good Luck!

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
Lilac19 wrote:
rileygirl

No I waited a few hrs after rolling to put it on. Is there anything I can dilute it with? I just got an order from ADC on Monday and I don't want to spend another $25 in postage.

The only thing you could do is moisturize 1 hour after using it. The problem with the gel is that even after that wait, it seems to ball up as it really doesn't mix well other other things. I honestly think I would spend another $25 and get the cream. Your skin will thank you! It is good that you waited a few hours after rolling to apply Retin A, but you probably should not roll at all until your skin is not irritated.
Lilac19
5% products discount

Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I guess I'll wait, my face does not have any redness now but it is itchy. I was so excited about getting into the derma rolling I couldn't wait to get the thing. So now I wait longer. Would it be OK to use Lets Make Collagen Serum from Skin Actives after rolling instead of the retin a? I will definitely take a brake from that for a while. I also have MAP and Marine Nutrient Serum, I also have Copper Peptides, Skin Signals, and Matrixyl 3000 from NCN. JJ whom I met through eds suggested the hemp seed oil which I will say did help. I did skip the retin a last night and did a roll with the Matrixyl. I topped that off an hour later with some Boots cream which I had. It's just so itchy, but thanks for all the suggestions. I really appreciate them.
hellenzqq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
it really depends
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
Lilac19 wrote:
Well, I guess I'll wait, my face does not have any redness now but it is itchy. I was so excited about getting into the derma rolling I couldn't wait to get the thing. So now I wait longer. Would it be OK to use Lets Make Collagen Serum from Skin Actives after rolling instead of the retin a? I will definitely take a brake from that for a while. I also have MAP and Marine Nutrient Serum, I also have Copper Peptides, Skin Signals, and Matrixyl 3000 from NCN. JJ whom I met through eds suggested the hemp seed oil which I will say did help. I did skip the retin a last night and did a roll with the Matrixyl. I topped that off an hour later with some Boots cream which I had. It's just so itchy, but thanks for all the suggestions. I really appreciate them.

If you are really itching, you can try some diaper rash cream. Sounds silly, but the zinc is very soothing and really heals the skin quickly. I think the MAP, copper peptides, and possibly that Marine Nutrient Serum would be better for after rolling, but I am particular what I put on afterward!
Lilac19
5% products discount

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
It just so happens that I have some anti itch cream with zinc in it. I will give that a try. It isn't so bad right now.

That is mild compared to what I did 2 weeks ago. It was 4:30 in the morning and I have a problem with my right eye not closing all the way (thyroid) and it dries out during the night so I reach for the eye drops and peel open the eye and go to put the drops in and I dumped a whole bottle of white iodine in the eye. I should get the stupidity of the year award for that one. I was very lucky that night, suffered for a few days but everything is OK now. So like I said the Retin A discomfort is mild compared to that. I think I will leave my face alone for a few days.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Lilac19 wrote:
It just so happens that I have some anti itch cream with zinc in it. I will give that a try. It isn't so bad right now.

That is mild compared to what I did 2 weeks ago. It was 4:30 in the morning and I have a problem with my right eye not closing all the way (thyroid) and it dries out during the night so I reach for the eye drops and peel open the eye and go to put the drops in and I dumped a whole bottle of white iodine in the eye. I should get the stupidity of the year award for that one. I was very lucky that night, suffered for a few days but everything is OK now. So like I said the Retin A discomfort is mild compared to that. I think I will leave my face alone for a few days.

Oh my! What you did to your eye sure doesn't sound pleasant. I am glad you are ok and nothing serious happened!

Yep, try the zinc and leave your face alone for a few days. Good luck!
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
mountaingirl wrote:
I think you need to use it MORE! Your infrequent use is not helping your skin adjust to it.

Yes, I totally agree. Your skin can't adjust to it with 1 or 2 times a week usage. (This is what happens to a lot of people on Nu Derm either when they start out or when they go on maintenance. When they UP the amount of usage of Retin A to more days a week, the peeling starts to dissipate after a few weeks.)

Well I am glad I finally asked the question. I was naively thinking my peeling should stop after getting used to once-a-week application then I move onto twice-a-week application, only when my peeling stops there I move onto three times a week.
It makes sense to me now and I will take your advise to start using every second day now. I hope by summer I wont peel anymore. The physical sunscreen with flake is not a good look.
Thanks mountaingirl,rileygirl and
SeanySeanUK.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
Lilac19 wrote:

Whoa Girlfriend...are you an over-doer? (You could be me~!) You have an awful lot of products you are bombarding your skin with. I would consider simplifying your skincare regiment. I'm getting the impression you have been sucked in to the EDS vortex and you are spinning around grabbing all the favorably reviewed products. I think your itchy skin is trying to tell you something.... (like "leave me alone!) BTW, how old are you?

rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
I'm getting the impression you have been sucked in to the EDS vortex and you are spinning around grabbing all the favorably reviewed products.

OMG, this is hilarious and unfortunately it happens to 99.9% of all of us here! Laughing
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
One more follow-up question:
Does that mean if I take a break from Retin a say for 2 or 4 weeks, then I'll have to start all over again in terms of re-building up the tolarence level? If that's the case, that kinda sucks Confused
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:01 am      Reply with quote
Yes, the longer you stay away from RA, the more your skin will react once you start using it again. You wouldn't necessarily go back to square one, but you would definitely go through an adjustment phase again. RA isn't a product you go off and on. You stay on it for life!--and its soooooo worth it!

circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:45 am      Reply with quote
I have taken breaks (more than 2-4 weeks) from retionoids before, and yes, you do kind of start all over again.

But I would say that I am better able to handle the irritation since it's not my first time. Cool
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:27 am      Reply with quote
With flaking, my best thing that I have used to help with the peeling/flaking is dry brushing the face. I get flaking periodically, but haven't had it for a while now - so its bound to come soon, but for me brushing the face dry, does the brilliant job of gently exfoliating the flakes off - so then I can apply sunscreen without issue.
iaimei wrote:
Well I am glad I finally asked the question. I was naively thinking my peeling should stop after getting used to once-a-week application then I move onto twice-a-week application, only when my peeling stops there I move onto three times a week.
It makes sense to me now and I will take your advise to start using every second day now. I hope by summer I wont peel anymore. The physical sunscreen with flake is not a good look.
Thanks mountaingirl,rileygirl and
SeanySeanUK.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:05 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Sean. Could you please elaborate more on "dry brushing"? What do you use to brush and when (like wait your face is dry after cleansing?)

I have been using a wash cloth to get rid of the flakes. But I have to use it right after cleansing when face is still slightly moist. Sometimes I got carried away with my force then I will end up with a pinky face .Wink
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:17 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |