Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Is facial exercise any good?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
galshiba
5% products discount

Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:21 am      Reply with quote
I've been hearing alot of good things about facial exercisein preventing wrinkles and tighting and toning your skin. I like to know everyone's opinion regarding this.
Lola Moroney
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:27 am      Reply with quote
Yes there is a lot of talk lately about facial exercises and over the years I have bought books and a dvd and to be honest to no avail. What I find brillant is light rubbing decleor oil all over face and neck working upwards for at least a half hour twice a week (your face will be red as it makes the blood flow and improves circulation). This might seem a drag but I swear by it and I do it wataching tv and for a 49 year old my skin is pretty good or so I am told. I think that EDS are brillant as in Ireland we have not heard of half the products they stock and they are so obliging with samples.
queenpedauque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:26 am      Reply with quote
Lola, that decleor massage sound s great.
I do facial exercises and I feel they do help. Somethimes I feel like they work amazingly and other times I feel that they just definitely help with general tone.
I've tried different ones but have stuck with the same one for about a year. It's really hard for me to be objective but I did take photos to get some idea of what was occurring and the one thing that is undeniable is a firmer look to the face with more sculpted contours. My face was started to look a little dough-ey even though I'm thin. It no longer looks dough-ey at all. I'm actually pleased with my face except for my upper eyelids which I've been afraid to use the exercises on. I used them for a bit and got nervous about skin stretching and stopped or used a gentle modification of the exercises. hth
btw I'm 46
Mogwai
5% products discount

Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
This is something I would really like to know more about. I'm 43, and as you put it, 'doughy.' Thing is, I just don't know where to start. What's the simplest (read: cheapest) way to get started with this?
queenpedauque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
Mogwai,
I use Flexeffect which offers just a video/dvd to get started. I used just that for a year. I just bought the book which is more expensive but has more exercises.
I like the above mentioned program because the aim is to build muscle bulk to reshape the face and fill in the areas where there is fat loss from the aging process.
But here's some links to explore different types:(most are just free exercise, the last one offers a sample exercises- to the program.)
The first 2 links are so similar to Flexeffect, I think they may have been stolen from Deb Crowley's site but I still feel that her presentation and training tips are invaluable.

http://www.seasonsindia.com/beauty/faceexercise_sea.htm
http://www.wwbeautystore.com/skin-info3.shtml
http://members.optusnet.com.au/vanviola/face.html
http://www.ageless.co.za/facial-exercises-free.htm
http://www.cynthiarowland.com/FM_ED.htm#exercise%204#exercise%

I like to look at the developers of the facial exercise programs and judge from how they look. I liked Flexeffect because Deb did her exercises on the video herself at about age 47. (I have the old video.) I thought she looked good but as she did the exercises and pulled her face and changed expression, she appeared even younger to me because when you reach your forties, it's very difficult to still look youthful when you are making expressions. Anyway, that's what sold me. Of course, she started in her 20's so that may make a big difference. Smile
One drawback is that her site is suppose to have a discussion board for support but Deb is not around for months and there are really no trainers available for help. The flexers try to help each other out a bit but it's really not very helpful especially for new flexers. I think it was alot better years ago. Sad
RuthMarion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:46 am      Reply with quote
I'm so sorry - Embarassed I started a new topic by mistake - at least it's under facial exercise Rolling Eyes .
Mogwai
5% products discount

Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:21 am      Reply with quote
Wow! Thanks queenpedauque! Very Happy This is definitely enough information to get me started and figure out whether I have the stick-to-it-iveness to do this. I tried some of the exercises and can really feel it. I'm optimistic!
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
I believe that your facial muscles work pretty much the same way as other muscles in your body. Use em, or lose em. So, in theory, I do believe that facial exercises do work.

However, I have just never chosen to use my time that way. I don't watch TV, and spend a fair amount of time on the computer and it's just not easy to massage anything into your face while on the 'puter, sticky keys and all.

I let my ES masque do the isometric massage, use my chi exerciser (which actually seems to tighten my face as it's balancing my chi). I also do resistance training 3 or 4 times per week and as you are doing certain lifts, your neck is exercised.

At 60, with this routine, my face is quite firm for my age.... so my esthetician says.

JUDY

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:43 am      Reply with quote
Hi
I’ve been doing facial exercises for years and years so I must believe they work.

I started dabbling in my late twenties and it seemed to give my face more definition and I’m a thin person, but with a round/babyish face.

I would recommend Facercise for beginners because they’re a bit gentler and then moving on to Flexeffect (which should give more build because the exercises are done against resistance). I’ve tried other systems but these are the two I still use exercises from. I also think you need to keep changing the exercises otherwise like queenpedauqu said, sometimes they work really well and sometimes they don’t. I think the muscles get bored.

I think it’s definitely helped to stop my lower face sagging (I look quite different to my sisters now) .I’m 40. But I don’t think facial exercise will cure all your problems. I think it depends on the physiology of your face. For example I’ve always had droopy upper eyes and if I did enough exercise to pull them up I’d look constantly surprised (like Eva Fraser Shock )

And if you have a problem with ‘dynamic’ wrinkles, the kind that you can erase with botox then it doesn’t always help, especially I have found that with forehead lines. I think one of the problems with face exercises is one program does not suit all. You have to experiment to find which to do and which not to do and it takes a lot of trial and error. The other thing I think is that as with other exercise there should really be stretches as well as building exercises otherwise you can start to look like your face is a bit hard.

But without a doubt it works on most of your face. I realize that when I stop doing them for a few weeks, but they’re very boring so I do often stop.

Molly
mds830
5% products discount

Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
If you have ever watched "Extreme Makeover" you have seen Michael Thurman with his workouts. I bought his program and guess what! He includes one facial exercise. It is for the lower, sagging jaw line. He must know it works or he wouldn't include it in his program.
queenpedauque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
mds830,
Is Thurman a fitness trainer? (Sorry, I don't watch TV even though I do know what Extreme Makeover is.)
I was going through all these weight training books last night and noticed that the lifters all have firm jaw lines. This might be from training the neck. So with your comment and my little bit of experience, it seems logical that the jawline would improve alot.
I've neglected doing facial exercises for the jaw line & doing the neck exercises given with my flexeffect program because my neck is unusually strong and I have little evidence of age in this area. (Somebody asked me if I had "work" done when I told them my age and they specifically mentioned the neck & jaw as putting this question in their mind.)It's just the way that I've propped my head up on my arm for years that has strengthen the muscles. Nobody can understand how I do it for long periods of time but it is natural for me. When guys wonder at it, I challenge them to try and they don't even last 3 minutes.
But now, I'm going to start exercising the neck because I'm sure I'm probably only using 1 or 2 muscles when I prop myself up. I probably want to get the other muscles involved too.
mds830
5% products discount

Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
Yes. Michael Thurmon is a personal trainer. On the "Extreme Makeover" people are chosen to be made over. They usually have extreme needs. They usually get implants, tummy tucks and new teeth. Michael Thurmon is their personal trainer. Only one way to get real muscle tone. Has to be the real thing-hard work!!

Look atwww.healthandfitnessproducts.com
You'll get an idea of what his program is like.

I don't understand about how you prop you head on your arm. Please explain. Might be an exercise we could all.
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
I actually thought about this the other day when I was doing weights in my home gym. When you do the various curls or lifts for the arms, your neck muscles really get into the act if you're lifting close to your maximum weight. You even feel it down into the chest area.

I do think, however, that your actions have to be consistent and over a period of time. Unfortunately, I seem to get started really well for about two weeks, then a vacation comes, or holidays, or a busy work period and then I don't exercise for a week or two. I think it takes more consistency than that to see significant results. Laughing

JUDY

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
mds830 wrote:
I don't understand about how you prop you head on your arm. Please explain. Might be an exercise we could all.

I lie down on my side and hold my head up with my arm with my head resting on hand. A very normal pose but all my life I've held it for hours while reading and occasionally switching sides. Now I can hold the position for a long time without support from my arm. This is actually the position that people can't believe I hold..unsupported head. I would think that if your neck isn't already strong that it might cause injury though. I'm surmising that the best way would be to follow a program by someone with alot of experience in muscle training. Deb Crowley has more than a few in her book. The Flexeffect video only has one neck exercise. It has a few others that involve the neck muscles but for specific target, only one. So the book is better for neck specific exercises. It's expensive. I waited a year to buy it and when I got it, my reaction was $50 dollars for this. But I'm using it and have found that the exercises are different and I have an opportunity to work the muscles in a different way than when I use the video.
There were some women having good results with weights using a chin strap. They were familiar with weight training which I'm not. They were having good results. They were also Body For Life fans.
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:44 am      Reply with quote
hmm.

muscles on the face are attached to the skin unlike the rest of muscles which are attached to bone.

wrinkles caused by sun damage and us moving our muscles round, we use botox and botox like substances to REDUCE the amount of facial movement induced wrinkling and we then look to strengthen those muscles Confused Does that make sense to anyone but me, not sure I explained it well Laughing

This is where I get confused. Confused

I can see the benefit of certain exercises, ones for the jaw, cheek/lower orbital and eyebrow as this is where we tend to see sagging but an all over programme???? I just don't know.
mds830
5% products discount

Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:31 am      Reply with quote
I've wondered about this.

I was watching "The Swan" and one of the plastic surgeons said, "As long as we smile, we will cause wrinkles."

Don't you think genetics play a big role in all this?

But, I still think it is possible to firm up the jaw line if the exercises are done correctly. Are these muscles somehow connected differently?

When I had a consultation with a plastic surgeon recently, he said the jaw area was sagging because the muscles had dropped. The only solution was to surgically lift them.

So why isn't there an exercise that can strengthen them and cause them to regain their original tone? Am I missing something here?
queenpedauque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:35 am      Reply with quote
Good points raised. I feel new wrinkles might be created by repeated expressions as in facial exercises if the skin is damaged. I think most of aging/damage is said to be from sun exposure so if the skin is already compromised, facial exercises may cause wrinkles. Also, I think wrinkles may appear if an area fills out or lifts a little.
After more of a year of exercise, I can say that I have no new wrinkles but I don't feel I've had stunning results either..just a more toned face with very defined cheek bones. My eyes have not responded too much at all. Sad
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
We have to remember that there is more to stopping wrinkles from forming and to diminishing ones that are already formed than just the activity of building up muscles or of relaxing the facial muscle contractions that are one of the causes of wrinkles.

As someone already discussed, wrinkles are caused in part by sun exposure and protecting the skin from overexposure to the sun is a vital part in wrinkle reduction.

However, two other causes are important to understand, as well; such as the "inhibiting the snare complex" and inhibiting catacholamine release." Acetyl hexapeptide-3 or Argireline, works on both these processes in the same way that Botox does, but in a gentler fashion. Since Argireline works more gently (relaxing the muscles, rather than paralyzing them, the results are seen over 15 to 30 days, rather than immediately. However, Argireline is topical, not requiring needles and is much less expensive and with no known side effects. However, clinical trials have shown Argireline to reduce lines and wrinkles by 17% in the first 15 days and by 27% in the first 30 days. Clinical trials on Argireline have also shown 39% improvement in smoothness, 42% improvement in dryness, and 45% improvement in skin tone.

The concept of inhibiting the snare complex isn't necessarily simple to understand, but the snare complex is a core of membrane proteins that dediate neuronal exocytosis. As Argireline inhibits the snare complex activity, it can be re-used by the skin again and again until the peptide is "used up" by the skin enzyme activity. Each time it is used, only the amino acids are released which are not harmful to the skin. In contrast, when Botox inhibits the snare complex, small amounts of bottulinum toxin are released into the skin.

Argireline also reduces wrinkling by inhibiting the overproduction and release of catecholamines. Catecholamine overproduction and release encourages the formation of wrinkles and fine lines, so inhibiting that activity inhibits the formation of wrinkles and fine lines.

Argireline must be used in at least a 10% concentration to see these results, as the 10% concentration was what was used in the clinical trials.

Argireline also works best to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles when it is combined with antioxidants, such as green tea extract, grapeseed extract, echinacea extract, and Vitamins E, D3 and A. Combining Argireline with emollients like Hyaluronic Acid and Aloe Barbadensis gel will also reduce the appearance of wrinkles.

Combining the use of an effective Argireline product with regular facial exercises can only help even more. However, working only on exercising the facial muscles is like fighting the battle with one hand tied behind you.

JUDY

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:08 am      Reply with quote
I found these photos to be pretty convincing http://www.geocities.com/mateo1970/
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:11 am      Reply with quote
Hi Lee

They are interesting photos, but actually I find them a bit annoying for two reasons; firstly that it's so much easier for men to get a well-toned face from facial exercises because they already have a far higher percentage of muscle to collagen/fat in their faces and that's why their faces don't collapse so dramatically as womens' too. Also I think the results of facial exercises suit men better than women too - I'm thin and when I overdo it I often start to think I look like my father Confused

And then his face is so much like Carole Maggio's that it cannot fail for him. I wish there was a round-faced facercise guru. I reckon the exercises need to be specifically designed for the specific face - just like going to a personal trainer in a gym - they'd give specific advice for an individual body, but at this stage of facial exercises' development you just have to experiment on yourself and pick the exercises that suit or don't suit.

You see, I believe in facial exercises, but also believe there's more to it than a simple 'follow this one, prescribed routine' approach and I don't think we're being given that yet. I want that.

Interesting, but frustrating really.

Molly
Lee
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:21 am      Reply with quote
I must confess I do have the facercise for beginners dvd, but I only played it once. I am going to make it my new year resolution to start it again and find the exercises that might suit my face. I have quite rounded face too, and at 42 I'm just starting to notice a slight droop in parts! I dont want to end up looking my dad either (sorry dad!) but would love to lift my hooded eyelids slightly as well as generally tone up my face.
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:21 am      Reply with quote
Molly you do raise some good points, but the only thing I might add is that no program out there will effect everyone in exactly the same way, just as no body exercise does. We all have different stronger and weaker muscles even if we're identical twins. Its the same for the body, some people are able to do 10 crunches and get the burning in their abs, some have to do 100 and some can’t get it from the crunches at all.

I do think its difficult when you start comparing yourself to others, as no one is your mix of genetics, has the same lifestyle, diet etc as yourself. So thinking that your going to get exactly what the author got is a recipe for disaster. However, I think if your aiming towards a goal, such as strengthening your facial muscles or bulking them up a little, then its much easier for you to work towards a definite aim rather than a kind of non distinct one.

Most men usually knock facial exercises, but I have been lucky to teach some to some men who did love it. They are usually great students because they haven’t been brainwashed by society as to thinking that touching your face can cause wrinkles or that rubbing too hard or contracting a muscle is a bad thing and so they really do seem to go all out. It is difficult but I think that ultimately you have to make whatever program you do work for you and then you have to allow it time to work. I think most programs do give results quite quickly, but always suggest to people that these are tasters of what is yet to come.

Molly wrote:
Hi Lee

They are interesting photos, but actually I find them a bit annoying for two reasons; firstly that it's so much easier for men to get a well-toned face from facial exercises because they already have a far higher percentage of muscle to collagen/fat in their faces and that's why their faces don't collapse so dramatically as womens' too. Also I think the results of facial exercises suit men better than women too - I'm thin and when I overdo it I often start to think I look like my father :?

And then his face is so much like Carole Maggio's that it cannot fail for him. I wish there was a round-faced facercise guru. I reckon the exercises need to be specifically designed for the specific face - just like going to a personal trainer in a gym - they'd give specific advice for an individual body, but at this stage of facial exercises' development you just have to experiment on yourself and pick the exercises that suit or don't suit.

You see, I believe in facial exercises, but also believe there's more to it than a simple 'follow this one, prescribed routine' approach and I don't think we're being given that yet. I want that.

Interesting, but frustrating really.

Molly
KayS
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:18 am      Reply with quote
Do you think it is good to use maybe two different exercise programs so the muscles do not get used to just one? Say for instance Ageless and Flex Effect alternately. By the way which in your opinion is better for adding bulk to the face as I have a thin face and there are areas I would like to fill out. Thanks for your help!
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:31 am      Reply with quote
KayS wrote:
Do you think it is good to use maybe two different exercise programs so the muscles do not get used to just one? Say for instance Ageless and Flex Effect alternately. By the way which in your opinion is better for adding bulk to the face as I have a thin face and there are areas I would like to fill out. Thanks for your help!

Having done both programs separately I have found that Flexeffect does help fill out the lower face. Ageless focuses on lifting the upper cheeks and not building the lower face. If your face is thin already flexeffect may offer the benefits you are looking for. Many people are combining the programs and happy with the results.
Toby

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
I don't believe its necessary, with working the face, as long as your aiming to increase its strength and use your common sense, the muscles will grow stronger no matter what.

KayS wrote:

Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |