Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Anyone notice effects on their skin w/ occasional alcohol...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
....intake? I don't drink like all the time. Just once in awhile when out with frds, maybe once every few months. But if I do, I drink a lot...like to the point that's kinda drunk.

So my concern is, I know alcohol is bad for the skin... but if I only do it once in awhile, would it damage the skin much in the long run? Any drinkers out there notice anything on their skin? Confused
SandraD4880
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
Holy Crap! YES! I drink maybe once a month, and just like 3 or so glasses of wine. Maybe once a year I get blasted.
The next morning I look 10 years older! Even if I drink a few glasses of water after drinking, but before sleeping. I usually wake up after only 3-4 hours when I drink.
I either shower or wash my face. I keep putting warm washcloths on my face. I eat fruit and drink water. At some point during the day I start to look normal again.

It's strange because I know some alcoholics (of varying ages), and they don't look 10 years older. My body is fragile though. I was very sick as a child and things affect me before they do ANYONE else.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy,

I had my partying days that ended before I decided to have my first child I have to admit that until I was about a year younger than you I would indulge most weekends and really never felt or saw any ill effects! After having my first at 26 I rarely drank except on special occasions and then only 1-2 glasses of wine. I did have 4 kids in 8 years so not drinking just became a habit! The last time I overindulged was my 50th birthday with all my family including kids and friends, well with age you just don't bounce back from too much like you used to! I swore after that never again! I am really close to my 56th birthday and if I have 1-2 drinks tops a couple of times a year it's a lot! I can't say my crazy days in my youth did any damage to my skin as it's still good but I wouldn't do it now! Smile

DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:19 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy

I'd say most people usually don't notice until it's too late. Perhaps the below might help.

From http://www.futurederm.com/2007/10/15/the-most-misunderstood-skincare-ingredient-alcohol/

What does alcohol consumption do to the skin?

Excessive alcohol consumption damages skin in two primary ways. One, alcohol will dilate the blood vessels, leading to telangiectasias or chronic dilation of the capillaries, and a flush of the face. Under increased pressure, the stretched vessels may break, appearing as broken capillaries on the face. It may also be noted that it is known that alcohol consumption aggravates symptoms of patients with rosacea.

Two, alcohol interferes with the body’s processing of vitamin A (including retinoids). According to Stryker et. al, the consumption of alcohol leads to a reduced absorption of vitamin A from the diet. Because vitamin A is a known antioxidant with anti-aging properties, decreasing its absorption may lead to advanced aging. In addition, retinoids may not be as effective following excessive alcohol consumption, as Leo and Lieber note there is competition between ethanol and retinoic acid precursors, leading to accelerated breakdown of retinol through the cross-induction of degradative enzymes. With retinoids available for less time in the system, it is highly probable less efficacy is achieved, and more probable that the retinoids produce toxic by-products. The latter was verified by Leo and Lieber, as ethanol promotes the toxicity of both vitamin A and ß-carotene in the body. The researchers thereby caution that discretionary (reduced) amounts of vitamin A and ß-carotene are used by drinking populations to decrease the risk of toxicity in the body. No studies to date have been done investigating the efficacy and toxicity of topical retinoids in combination with alcohol consumption, so ask your dermatologist if you are concerned.
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:37 am      Reply with quote
I, like you Stardustdy, only drink on occasion...maybe once every few months. Sometimes I can go several months without, sometimes I go in a streak of 2 or 3 a week for a few weeks...but when I do drink, I rarely ever get blasted drunk AND I always have a glass of water that I sip along with any drinks I have...honestly, it only takes me a few to feel tipsy then I am done.
I cannot tolerate a lot of alcohol for some reason...my Mom is the same way...her and I always end up getting that alcohol "flush" when we do drink no matter how many we may have... first the ears turn red and then the redness slowly moves down into the neck. Also, I have been known to "throw up" on only 1 or 2 drinks...I am definitely a light weight! Laughing Not sure why this happens...

Anyway, I haven't noticed any effects on my skin from this pattern...maybe it's because I sip water all night when I do drink...

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
MissyFoster

Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:09 am      Reply with quote
Not only do I look old and haggard the next day...a day or so later I will break out horribly. I try to drink only distilled booze (like vodka) when I do drink. Never beer or anything aged in Oak. Confused
hellenzqq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:17 am      Reply with quote
for me, i feel my skin looks bad after i drink. i am very bad at drinking, i can only maximum drink a bottle of beer, and my face will turn to deep red, and i feel my pores become sooooo big too....anyway, i think drink is not for me
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi all ladies!

I have to agree with some of you that I feel extremely tired the next morning if I drink heavily the night before. Probably due to dehydration and staying up late with not much sleep. But if I drink like a few glasses, I can handle it depends on the alcohol %.

bren21, it's actually good that your face gets red and you throw up after 1-2 glasses, that means your body is trying to get rid of the toxin. For me, my face doesn't get red at all when I drink a lot, it remains quite pale actually. I only throw up if I'm like drunk and really dizzy.

I guess it's a good idea to drink alcohol along with water to dilute it a bit. Or drink on a full stomach. But besides feeling tired and all that the next day, my skin looks about the same. Regardless, I'll try to cut down my alcohol intake as it's definitely bad to health and skin in general! Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |