Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
I Get nervous at the Doctor's office..
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Rene Greenwald

Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:54 pm      Reply with quote
I get really nervous and often forget a lot of what is said inside the room... anyone have any advice? Tips? I have an appointment next week and want to make sure I ge thte most out of it.

Thanks in advance!
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:05 am      Reply with quote
It might help if you have key words in your head before you enter his/her room. For example, photos, cost, results - months. That way it's a simple mantra of a few words to help you to remember what is most important to convey - the rest of the sentence will follow on naturally from those key words.

Many MDs are well skilled at keeping the patient talking to keep their minds off the discomfort but sometimes I wish they wouldn't ask me about my personal life but rather concentrate on the matter in hand!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:34 am      Reply with quote
i get nervous at the doctor's too! too many things that are running around in my head.

before i go to the doctor's, i'll write down all the key points and any questions that i may have.

i take this list and a pen, into the office. and i'll actually start running through my list and jotting down answers. none of the dr's made any comments about it...some actually looked more relieved.

i know it may seem odd but i find that it helps to keep all the information straight for my own personal use.
HTH Very Happy

to, cnd, 39, asian, dry&sensitive. products: valmont, givenchy, chanel, guerlain, dior, misc sothys&lush; mu: valmont, dior, chanel & mac; anti aging: diy facial massages, dr.ho's, assrt of EMS/TENS, wellbox, nuface, nuskin, tua viso, tua trend, babyQ, facemaster, oxylift, dermawand, life, suction, 8clarisonic, 2opal, magnassager, sonic,etc
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:29 am      Reply with quote
Bring a note book in with you. I always write down my questions in advance because even if I only have 1 or 2 questions its easy to forget them.
Pluto
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:03 am      Reply with quote
For sure take a list of what you want to talk about.

One time, though, I went to see a derm for the first time and he complained about me bringing in a "laundry list"! What a jerk. Not the sort of guy I wanted to see again.
llina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:19 am      Reply with quote
Pluto wrote:
For sure take a list of what you want to talk about.

One time, though, I went to see a derm for the first time and he complained about me bringing in a "laundry list"! What a jerk. Not the sort of guy I wanted to see again.

yeah, i don't understand derms or docs or anyone that is like this. they just don't make sense to me. its very hard to find a really great professional... eg dentist, derm, family dr., lawyer.

i once went to a derm about my small broken capillaries. he looked at me like i was nuts. he told me they would go away. i was thinking..go away to where?! what the heck!

anyways, they never went away until i came here.

to, cnd, 39, asian, dry&sensitive. products: valmont, givenchy, chanel, guerlain, dior, misc sothys&lush; mu: valmont, dior, chanel & mac; anti aging: diy facial massages, dr.ho's, assrt of EMS/TENS, wellbox, nuface, nuskin, tua viso, tua trend, babyQ, facemaster, oxylift, dermawand, life, suction, 8clarisonic, 2opal, magnassager, sonic,etc
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:14 am      Reply with quote
Pluto, that's why I didn't say write down a list because I've had the same experience as you, of a derm not liking the laundry list aspect of it. Quite frankly though if it makes the patient feel more assured and relaxed they shouldn't have a problem with it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
I always make a list of what to ask. With my ophthalmologist, who is very abrupt and has the worst "bedside manner," I just hand him my list to read himself.

Bring a pad and pen and write down what they say. Doctors probably would prefer you do that than call back and take up their office staff's time.
hellenzqq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
me 2, it helps that i make a list before i go
Pluto
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:40 am      Reply with quote
Camelia,

What is it about derms! LOL! Maybe the ones who do this don't like lists because it puts them at a disadvantage somehow ( patient might see how much the derm doesn't know!). I think most kinds of meanness comes down to insecurity.

Camelia wrote:
Pluto, that's why I didn't say write down a list because I've had the same experience as you, of a derm not liking the laundry list aspect of it. Quite frankly though if it makes the patient feel more assured and relaxed they shouldn't have a problem with it.
Pluto
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:44 am      Reply with quote
Softskin, I had a jerky ophthalmologist, too, this older chap with no manner at all. He'd push my head back when he needed it back; he's stretch my eye to put in drops. His exams would hurt.

I got a recommendation from my gp for another ophthalmologist and the new guy is SO different. He's very gentle and is addressing problems (e.g. ocular rosacea) that the other guy pretended didn't exist. WHAT a difference.

If you have a choice to look around for another doc, if your present one makes you unhappy, do not hesitate!

SoftSkin wrote:
I always make a list of what to ask. With my ophthalmologist, who is very abrupt and has the worst "bedside manner," I just hand him my list to read himself.

Bring a pad and pen and write down what they say. Doctors probably would prefer you do that than call back and take up their office staff's time.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:12 am      Reply with quote
My ophthalmologist is an excellent surgeon, testifies in court malpractice cases and teaches other doctors, so putting up with him once a year for fifteen minutes is worth it. Laughing
Rene Greenwald

Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
OMG - thank you soooo much for posting this. I'm the exact same way. I definitely took a couple of different forum members' advice and it has helped dramatically. I was searching around and found this interesting post -

dermtv(d)com/dont-be-afraid-reach-out-your-doctor

he makes some really good points!

Good luck!
R
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:42 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |