Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Hairdressers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
autumn
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
How do you find a great hairdresser? I have trouble finding someone who can really cut hair.

Yes I know you should look for someone with a great haircut/style.

How did you end up with the hairdresser that you currently go to? I do like the hairdresser I have now. My highlights turned out well; she is reasonably priced BUT as far as haircuts I have gotten just trims from her. I have grown my hair out longer now but I think I want some layers/texture.

Any feedback is appreciated. Smile
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
That is a hard one. I stayed with one hairdresser for 10 years until we built a new house in an area so far away that I couldn't continue with her and when I began trying hairdressers here, it was a definite trial and error method.

I'm not with a hairdresser that I love. She has done more for my hair that just about anyone I've ever used. She was a hairdresser at a salon that I was going to, but I was using the owner and couldn't switch, but I kept watching people whose hair she did. Finally, she left that salon and went to another one that was closer to my house, so I finally made the switch. I could probably find someone cheaper than her, but I'm so happy, I just haven't even tried.

I do have to make my appointments far in advance because she gets so booked up. There's none of this getting up one morning and deciding your hair needs cutting and getting an appointment within the week. She is always booked at least two weeks in advance and at holidays, she starts talking to us regulars about our holiday bookings at least a month in advance. Confused

I do feel for you and wish you the best of luck in your search. I have been known to stop people in parking lots or restaurants and ask who does their hair. Sometimes that works and sometimes it's disaster. Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:08 am      Reply with quote
Edited to include "P.S." about meeting my current stylist <<

I'm very finicky about who I'll permit to cut/style/color my hair. Fortunately, I've been "married" to my stylist for over three years now, and we're still going strong. I'm her "muse" and let her try out all the latest techniques on me, and when she has to train new stylists or demo at a hair show, she always calls me in to be her model (hey, I get free cuts and/or color out of it, so I can't complain). I adore her and wouldn't trust anyone else to touch my hair, and I realize how fortunate I am to have found her.

My friends and coworkers consider me to be something of a 'hair maven.' Friends and strangers alike are always stopping me and asking me "who does your hair?" If a friend or coworker is thinking about a new look, they come to me for advice, and are always thrilled with the result. A couple of times, I've even gone to the salon with a friend or coworker for "moral support" to help talk to the stylist during the initial consultation because I'm able to translate the look my friend is seeking into "salon speak"!

Anyway, the best advice I can give you to find a hair stylist would be to ask for referrals! Do you have any friends/coworkers who's hair cut/color/style you particularly admire? Ask them who their stylist is! Even if you see a stranger with fab hair, tell her and ask her who does her hair -- most women are willing to share their stylist's name. Next, you need to go in for a consultation and "interview" your stylist. Ask him/her how much experience s/he's had cutting your particular hair type (i.e: long, short, straight, wavy, curly, ethnic, etc.), how much experience s/he's had using texturizing techniques such as razor-cutting, layering, etc.. Explain to the stylist your main hair concerns, how much experience you've had recreating a salon look at home, how much time you're willing to invest in styling your hair every morning, how much product you like to use, etc.. Ask if they have a "portfolio" with photos of hair designs s/he's done or "before & after" photos of satisfied clients. The stylist should take the time to listen to you, then take a good long look at your hair type (how does it grow? do you have problem areas such as a cow-lick?) and your facial type and give you feedback on the haircut you'd like. You might see something in a mag or on TV that looks great on the model/actress but would look lousy on you -- a good stylist will be honest enough to tell you up front if she doesn't think a certain look would work on you, or should warn you how much upkeep/maintenance it would take to recreate the look at home. Finally, and I can't stress this enough!! You need to take a photo of the hair style you're wanting and show it to the stylist so there's absolutely no confusion about the look you're after and no room for miscommunication. If you're on a budget, be honest and tell them up front that you can't afford to buy a truck-load of hair products to use at home and ask him/her to recommend the absolute minimum products you'll need to recreate the look every morning at home.

If you get home and decide you're not happy with the look afterall, call the salon and TELL THEM!!! Most salons will make an appointment for you to come back so the stylist (or a different stylist, if you're adamently against having the same person touch your hair again!) can make it right. The salon depends on repeat business and word-of-mouth referrals, so they want you to be completely satisifed.

And once you finally find the ultimate stylist, be loyal! It sounds like you've learned that good stylists don't just grow on trees, so once you find him/her, hang on to him/her!!! If s/he does an absolutely amazing job cutting/coloring your hair on one of your visits or takes extra time to show you how to get the look yourself at home or demonstrates how to use the recommended products, reward him/her with an extra-generous tip.

HTH,
Carrie

P.S. I forgot to answer your question about how I found my current stylist....About three years ago, I made an appointment at a new salon with a new stylist to have my hair highlighted using the bayalage technique. I also wanted "carmelized" highlights (i.e.: multi-colored highlights using three different color families). So I went in and sat down in the chair and started to explain what I wanted. The stylist started to get this panicked look on her face which made me suspect that she had no idea how to give me the look I wanted. Then she started talking down to me, like I was a stupid neophyte, telling me that the look I wanted could only be achieved on "virgin hair" and mine had been color-treated in the past (actually, I've been dying my hair since it first started turning grey when I was 15, but I digress...) which I knew was complete and utter bullsh*t. At this point I suspected that my knowledge of haircoloring techniques was greater than her's and I got so disgusted and pissed off that I got up to walk out -- no way was I turning that woman loose on my 'crowning glory'!!! Fortunately, the stylist in the next chair had been listening to the entire exchange, so when I got up to leave so beckoned me over and sat me down in her chair. She started asking me additional (intelligent!) questions about the look I was after, handed me a smock to change into while she went back to mix the hair colors. And that was the start of the second-most committed relationship I've had in the last five years!! Rolling Eyes Razz The moral of the story: sometimes you find the right hair stylist in the most accidental or unlikely of ways.
autumn
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:26 am      Reply with quote
I really do like the salon I am going to now. Krista who does my hair really tries to accommodate and I really like her as a person. I feel very comfortable in the salon.

I have been to "higher end" salons and even after a few visits did not feel comfortable...just too stuffy.

My RMT has natuarlly curly hair and great highlights. Her hair had noticeably improved so I asked her where she got her hair done. She told me where and why she went there.

So I decided to give Krista a chance based on my detailed rec from my RMT. I am glad I did as I was paying a lot more at a previous "stuffy" salon and the colour is just as good. I was growing out my hair so a little trim was just fine.

But now I am at the stage where I want a newer cut. I could have Krista try to cut it or I could try to find someone else.

I do understand about communication. Sometimes you just KNOW from talking with the hairdresser that it is not going to work! About a year ago I was looking for someone who could do a good job on highlights
(I had done some myself...bad I know!) and needed to balance out the colour with lowlights and some new highlights. The one hairdresser I had gone to (as recommended by two ladies from work...yes they had cute haircuts!)had gone into this big explanation of first colouring my hair dark blonde (my base colour) and then highlights.

I was a little weary of the two steps (besides the money involved I wondered why he would want to "start over") So while I did like the haircut I did not go back to him.

I always tip well and try to be a good client while I am "involved with a hairdresser".

Anyhow I think I will explain to Krista with pictures, my current routine (that is too time consuming) etc on why I want some layers. I know she won't hack my hair too short in length. As I said she really does try to accommodate.

If it just isn't me I can then try someone else for a cut.(And not feel so guilty.) It is hard finding someone in my area. I am in a really conservative area!
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:38 am      Reply with quote
I'm a total tart...never use the same one twice. I actually prefer to cut my hair myself rather than go to some creepy salon...though I did use to model at trevor sorbie when I lived in London, but that's different Razz

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:20 am      Reply with quote
I find that the first cut with a stylist I love and from then on they suck. They can never repeat their magic/miracle again! Laughing I found a great colourist, but can't find someone who can cut worth a damn.

Did I ever mention that I'm a picky pain in the butt to deal with?
vegas gal
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
I have had the same stylist for 15yrs Shock . She moved out of town for 9 months and I was going to fly out to her so she could cut my hair. But I just winged it (I'm a hairdresser). Thank the lord she moved back to Vegas. If you see someones hair that you like ask them where they got it cut, then go and watch that person cut hair. I hate trying to find a new hairdresser.
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with Carrie about the communication and taking a picture. So often what I mean by beveled, or stacked, or even layered isn't what they interpret. I know that sometimes I might use an incorrect term, so I always take a picture, even to my regular hairdresser who has been cutting my hair for years, if I am going to make a drastic change, I take a picture. Shock

Also, I think it was Autumn that talked about feeling comfortable in a salon. That's very important to me. After all, I have something done to my hair every 5 to six weeks, either coloring or styling and I need to feel good about the person I'm interacting with. Many years ago, before I got mature enough to know that it was important to take care of myself, or maybe it was before I got so outspoken, not sure.... but anyway, I was going to a salon and I realized that every time I went there, even though I was as nice as I could be, the people there made me feel inferior in some way. Finally, I woke up and realized that I was paying (and quite well too) for that service and why in heaven's name would I pay someone who made me feel as if they thought they were superior in some way. Rolling Eyes I changed hairstylists before I went there another time and I've not put up with that ever since.

Like Lianne, I'm very picky about my hair. My hair and my eyes seem to be what people comment on most. If my hair doesn't look good, it can really affect my mood. I'm pretty good at getting the look I want when I do my hair. In fact, most people say it looks better after I've had it cut the first time I re-do it. Actually, I think many stylists don't take enough time in the final blowdry and styling as they might need to. The cut from my stylist is always superior, but when she finishes with the styling, I usually think I could have done that part better; but when I go home and re-do it, the good cut always makes it look great.

A man reading these conversations would NEVER understand the depth of thought that we put into how our hair looks! Laughing

JUDY

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:04 am      Reply with quote
Judy,

It's scary but my boyfriend is anal about haircuts. He insists that I do it so that he saves money, but then he spends the entire time telling me what I'm doing wrong. It's just a buzzer with a guide/attachment thingy, How can I screw that one up??

On a happy note, I got him to shave off his ugly beard today, now it's a cheesy goatee. And he PAID for a real hair cut (If great clips is a real haircut)
autumn
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:26 am      Reply with quote
It is so true that men could never understand the importance of a great hairdresser!

My husband goes to First Choice..just walks in and takes the first available stylist (and I use that term loosely with walk in places!) He is very happy doing this.

My son who is eight is very concerned with how his hair looks. He has beautiful reddish/auburn hair. Literally the colour that women try to get when they go to the salon for red. Anyhow he had a couple of First Choice haircuts that were too short and he was so upset!

The last three haircuts I took him to the salon where I have been going to and he has been very happy. He said what he wanted and they did listen. (I do highlights at home with a cap for him.) As I mentioned before they are a very nice group of ladies and the prices are reasonable. I pay a couple of dollars more for him to go there but he is very happy with his hair. (My husband could go there also.....but he is a lost cause and prefers to just walk in when needed.)

I have been to salons where the atmoshphere is so stuffy; almost like they are trying to have you feel like they are doing YOU a favour by allowing you to be there! No thanks!

I would love to stay on with a salon and "settle down" rather than keep looking (being trampy) I seem to go 6 months - to a year at one salon then switch. Laughing
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:00 am      Reply with quote
My boyfriend just cut his hair himself this week. Shock With scissors. Shock

No, he doesn't have any means of seeing the back of his head! Shock
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:27 am      Reply with quote
chimera wrote:
My boyfriend just cut his hair himself this week. Shock With scissors. Shock

No, he doesn't have any means of seeing the back of his head! Shock

That is so funny! Laughing Men can be quite strange can't they?

I certainly am not averse to cutting my bangs between trips to the hairdresser, but I would never tackle the back of my head! Shock

JUDY

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:24 am      Reply with quote
Chimera,

My boyfriend always says 'If you don't cut my hair I'll do it myself' That's why I have always done it.

I don't know how he could do it with siccors? Does it look ok?? Maybe with the buzzer by yourself, but not siccors!!
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:34 am      Reply with quote
Aside from a flaw or two, it does look okay. Thankfully he has longish, wavy hair, so any errors kind of get lost in the mess! Laughing

I asked him to let me cut it and he won't let me anymore! I think he enjoys it!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:00 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |