Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Can spirulina help with problem skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
DM, the Garden of Life Perfect food caps that you take look excellent. Can you get it in a powder form? Swallowing caps doesn't bother me but I find powder form more economical.
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:27 am      Reply with quote
Darkmoon, it's not that i'm doubting the quality of Whole Foods green powders(that's an issue i haven't really explored one way or the other) but the rate of turnover once the product is purchased by the store and put on the self.

it's been a long time since i've tried spirulina,and other green products from WF shelves..so perhaps these products aren't as rancid as they were before. but i have to say that i have a particular sensitivity to rancidity..and detect it when others often can't...the nuts/seeds at most WF's stores, for example...especially in the winter when the heat is up all the time...is intense...and i know i won't use them..similarly the oils on their shelves( the ones they don't refrigerate) are often rancid...simply because they are on the shelves not refrigerated...just seems, to me, it's healthier to deal with places where the product is fresher...(also the expense is so much more at WF than on many places online)...not saying that WF doesn't serve a purpose, or that people of integrity don't work there (i know a few myself)...just that it has it's limitations.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the replies girls!

I still have a tub of spirulina powder, so I may go back to it and start slowly,

Jackie xx
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia,

Your post regarding gaging is why I stick with the caps, after 4 full term pregnancies ("morning sickness") all day and night the entire time with all! If it makes me gag or feel queasy I just as soon pass and take the less nauseating way out! Smile

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:36 am      Reply with quote
For years I have been taking a powder supplement called Tonic Alchemy that contains spirulina plus
71 individual superfoods:
http://www.dragonherbs.com/prodinfo.asp?number=686
that I add one small scoop of to my OJ every morning. When I drink it daily, my skin is always more glowing and i have more energy.
I have just re-ordered my 15th container on its way.
I got my son and husbands Ear, Nose and Throat and Sinus doc hooked on it too. I gave him a jar as a thank you after their tonsil and nose surgeries a few years ago. He ordered it for his whole staff and the break room and they all drink a glass every morning to this day. He said it cuts down on illnesses for them and he won't start a day without it.
I haven't had the flu or a cold in years. But I am huge on supplements, not just any, but Dragon Herbs in particular. They are the herbalist to the stars and have been touted worldwide for their combination of tonics for all ailments. My son and hubby are currently on their liver tonic as well.
If I had tone of money, I would order all kinds of combos from them I am sure. This is the only one I take other than their acai and goji berries but I have had many samples of their stuff thru the years and when faced with a particular concern, might order something tailor made.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
whoops..somehow i 'sent' this post before i had finished it..

anyway, the article at teh beginning of this thread states that the chlorophy regenerates the skin through detoxifying the body ..which i would agree with..but also, as stated earlier on this thread (when the original topic was more in focus) i believe it's a good idea to start out with very very small doses if thre is a acne issue invoved so as not to trigger a detox reaction thru the skin..resulting in more acne..and then to very gradually increase the amount taken per week untiol it's at least 1 tbl. a day (although 2 is really great for some)

anyway, i was going to list more nutrients..like the omega 6's and 3's and b vitamins..but decided instead just to reprint this info.. as not so much time available to me this afternoon.

So here:

"Ounce for ounce Spirulina (a microscopic blue-green algae) provides more complete protein that any other food source. About 60% to 70% compared with only 22% for beef. Spirulina contains 20 of the 22 amino acids the body has to have as a foundation for building and maintaining healthy cells. And of the 18 amino acids all ten dietary-essential amino acids are found in nearly exact ratio to our bodies composition. Making Spirulina protein a perfect protein source. Since it is 95 % digestible as compared to the beef protein of only 20% digestibility it is an immediately available food source.

Spirulina is an excellent source of Omega 6 and Omega 3 essential fatty acids. And because the deep Hawaiian Spring waters that feed the Spirulina as it grows are mineral-rich, this green super food is a wonderful source of many important minerals, over 90 minerals in all, in natural chelated form. Chelated means the minerals are bonded to amino acids, which make them easier for the body to assimilate.

Exceptionally high concentrations of Beta-carotene and mixed Carotenoids.

A full-spectrum of antioxidants from phytonutrients, pigments and antioxidant vitamins.

Highest concentration of any food of Phycocyanin: blue, immune-stimulating biliprotein.

High source of Omega 3 & Omega 6 essential fatty acids.

Unusually high source of carbohydrates in the form of: Rhamnose a rare biologically active sugar that speeds nutrients across the blood-brain barrier and to the cell; Glycogen, a vegetable source of glucose in stored-energy form; and mucopolysaccharides which are materials for glycoprotein complexes.

One of the most concentrated sources of chlorophyll, a body purifier and blood builder.

A full spectrum of vitamins in balanced amounts, more than any other single food source.

Over 90 trace mineral minerals from an ocean source.

Over 2,000 active live enzymes including DNA, RNA, S.O.D. and Glycolipids.

Spirulina is as ancient a food as can be found on the earth. It was here at the beginning and still is at the bottom of the food chain. Spirulina has everything you need to live on! It is eaten worldwide by millions of people today. Spirulina is a safe and complete, life enhancing super food. "

anyway, all i have time to post (reprint) for now

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
I still have a cynicle view on the need for supplements - but I do take a few, Vit C, Multi Greens, Zinc, Fish Oil etc just to be on the safe side. All Vitamins and Supplements in Australia are required, by law I think, to carry a disclaimer "Vitamins should not replace a balanced diet". So in other words, vitamins do not replace eating a healthy diet.

But really what is a healthy diet? Historically, people have only been able to eat what they could either grow, gather or hunt. So Eskimos ate seals, Australian Aborigines ate bush food and kangaroos, Asians ate rice, the Irish ate potatoes etc etc. And everyone flourished. Of course, now foods from all over the world are available to us - now, everyone can eat a banana for example. Even though we're told all the time that the modern diet is crap, we're all living longer and staying healthier (due to the miracles of modern medicine). But surely, we're all getting far more nutrition than our forebears.

And I'd also like to point out that when people who have lived to a grand old age are asked what they attribute their long life to, they usually reply, "A pint of beer a day" or something. They never say, "A pint of Spirulina and 20 supplements"! My father-in-law is on his way to 101 and I can assure you that he's never done one healthy thing in his life. He's always put 6 teaspoons of sugar in his coffee for starters!

The Japanese are the only people that I can think of whose diet is thought to have known health benefits. Mainly because of all the fish they eat. As for the Western diet, scientists are always changing their mind as to what's best - to my way of thinking, enjoying life is the best medicine and if that includes a bottle of wine and a pack of chips, then I'm having at it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Jasminerosey - I always love reading your posts - but I reckon you're smoking that Spirulina, not drinking it!!

Love this Keliu, I was totally laughing out loud!

(just for the record, though,in case anyone wonders, i don't smoke 'anything'... it's just all 'me'!!)

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
Your not missing anything.
Our entire body structure is comprised of proteins. Hair, skin, nails, all the hormones, enzymes, organs - all are amino acid structures = protein. We need daily protein intake to maintain and rebuild structure. Quality protein is where it's at.

Men and women protein intake range based on ideal body weight:

•Minimum Daily Protein Requirement: from W.H.O. recommends 0.45 grams of protein per kilogram of ideal body weight per day.
•Maximum Daily Protein Requirement: US RDA recommends 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of ideal body weight per day. The UK Department of Health and Social Security is approximately the same.
If you are currently doing endurance training your daily protein requirement increases by 1 to 1.2 grams per kilogram of ideal body weight per day. However, there is no recommended daily protein requirement for weight or strength training. Additionally, the daily requirements do not increase for people over their ideal body weight. This is because amino acids are not needed to support fat cells.

A site that I found regarding sprirulina and chlorella use is this one: Thechlorellafactor.com

It is admittedly very biased for use of these green foods but I found it interesting. And the person who put it together is not promoting his own products or anything and it's not a government agency - which can sometimes be a good thing - another viewpoint.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
Kelilu,

You may be naughty but you are a boatload of fun! You always give us a good chuckle around here! Smile

JR,
you are so good about taking everything in the right context it's truly refreshing. Smile

Tonia,
Protein is very crucial in your diet, however too much can cause problems nobody wants. A balanced whole food diet is optimal.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=11234

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia wrote:
Lacy, I like it because it's the most nutrient dense natural food supplement that I know of. Why don't you like it? Is it the taste, that you know of something better, or that you don't approve of supplementing your diet?

I think you're saying to just eat healthy foods but I'm saying that I don't always do that. This is a quick and easy way to balance it out. Yes, I could add those nutrients to my diet through other foods but it would have to be in much larger quantities and would increase my calories. This is fast, easy and predictable.

Let's be honest .... nobody eats a healthy diet each and every day. We all make bad choices from time to time; we give in to temptation and eat things we know aren't all that healthy. Humans are fallible. But for the most part we do our best and do try to eat the foods we know are good for our health. I am not convinced it is necessary to stick to healthy foods each and every day, but it is probably best to do so for the majority of the time.

I am not against whole food supplementing, I do it myself but I doubt it is necessary in the true sense of the word. I would believe people are taking spirulina to "fill in the gaps" if they only took it occasionally when needed. But from what I have seen on this thread, it is consumed daily and at ever-increasing amounts (up to a limit of 3 tablespoons per day). That indicates to me either their primary diet isn't healthy, or there are some dietary restrictions present, or people are consuming something that they don't "need" on a daily basis.

As far as being the most nutrient dense whole food supplement, I am not sure if that is true but it definitely is an excellent source of protein. Isn't that how spirulina originally got its "super food" label? It was meant to feed the masses when the (then) current world supply of regular food was insufficient to feed the population explosion expected after WW2. That at least was the theory back in the 1950s.

Part of the eating experience is sensual, including taste. I guess I don't understand why people insist on taking something that tastes so bad that they have to gag it down or disguise it other foods. I suppose the easiest solution is just take the gel caps if anyone insists on taking it. The greens I take includes spirulina and is sweetened with stevia; I don't mind the taste personally but am not a fan of the texture.

I guess my primary objection relates to whether or not this is "necessary" and worth the effort. I am not convinced that it has any real benefits assuming you eat a healthy diet most of the time, other than peace of mind. As I stated before, I personally haven't noticed any benefits to my skin the way some people have claimed.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
Yes - The dreaded big spirulina overdose. Laughing

One can get too much protein but it's not going to happen with spirulina intake.

In most cases too much protein is going to result in gaining excess body fat, which can lead to several health problems.
Also by adding too much protein to your diet your bodily systems are put under a great amount of stress - kidneys and liver specifically, but this takes a tremendous amount over time to cause this.

That's why high protein diets need to be monitored.

Carbs are the preferred source of energy. Protein is for maintenance and building of - structure. When carbohydrates are restricted too much for too long your body starts to fight back. Diets that exceed 30% of total calories from protein can cause a toxic buildup of ketone bodies. (known as ketosis). High levels of these ketones push the kidneys into working too hard and the result can lead to all kinds of problems and damage the heart muscle.

This is usually the result of eating as Star says too much meat product (more like 16 oz steaks, etc) not 2 TBS of spirulina. Sheesh.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
...many other sources have found that what is contained in all plant based foods is an analogue (b12) that isn't bio-available to humans

I haven't read the article from the Vegetarian Society yet..but i do know that that is the current take on the b12 from spirulina (i'm not sure about fermented veg foods though...i believe certain of those may contain human bio-active b12..but i need to do more research on that..which i haven't time to do right now)

System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:36 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |