Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
MUST READ: Remedies for Tired Eyes
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:38 am      Reply with quote
I want to share this article with other EDS members. I got the email, and thought the remedies sound pretty cool. One remedy I gotta try is taping scotchtapes around my eyes to stop them from going crazy during dreams/sleep.

http://mvorganicsblog.com/must-read-remedies-for-tired-eyes/
Quote:

The skin around the eyes is particularly delicate and tends to be the first place one notices the formation of wrinkles and lines. Indeed, I very often see folks in their late twenties and early thirties already complaining that they are starting to see a fine network of wrinkles, called crow’s feet, starting to form. It’s a good idea to start paying attention to this area sooner rather than later, especially since part of the problem may stem from how you are using your eyes. Here are 4 common complaints and what we can do about them.

1. Crow’s Feet
Crow’s feet are the result of repeated squinting. Squinting causes grooves to appear on the surface of the skin, and these grooves will eventually become a permanent feature of the facial landscape. Squinting is most often just a bad facial habit, similar to the scowl lines that form between the eyebrows. If you haven’t already, be sure and have your vision checked. Here are a couple of additional steps you can take if you are still a habitual squinter, even with your glasses on!

Take a break–If you do a lot of work in front of the computer make sure you are not hunched forward and squinting for long periods of time. Take a break every hour or so to do a little palming exercise. It goes like this: rub your hands together for a few seconds, then place the heels of your hands over your closed eyes. Press against your eyeballs gently, but using firm pressure, for about 30 seconds—this is very soothing for the optic nerve
Tape away the lines—About 50% of our facial lines are made while we are dreaming. Our faces, especially around the eyes, are very active at this time! A simple remedy is to put scotch tape over those areas that tend to crinkle up during sleep, concentrating on the outside corners of eyes and in between the eyebrows. The tape bits remind us not to scowl or squint while we are asleep.
2. Wrinkles
In addition to facial expressions, the major factors involved in the formation of surface wrinkles are sun damage, oxidative stress and glycation. These wrinkles can be quite fine and extensive, sometimes criss-crossing each other in cob web-like structures and appearing on cheeks, forehead, chest—anywhere that receives sun exposure. Around eyes and other delicate tissue they often give a crepey look to the skin. There are two things to start doing, even in your twenties, to get you on the road towards preventing wrinkles around the eyes.

Protect by day by wearing sunscreen. Some people hesitate to put it too close to your eyes, but a safe and gentle sunscreen should go on right up to the bottom rim of the lower portion of the eye. Wear good sunglasses to protect the upper lid.
Repair at night with an eye product that contains antioxidants. We like products that dry quickly once applied, like serums or gels. Creams tend to dissolve and leak ingredients into the eyes, which may make them puff up. Continual swelling and shrinking of the delicate tissue around the eyes can actually cause more wrinkles than it prevents.
3. Puffiness
Puffy eyes can be a sign of not enough sleep, dehydration, or in some cases allergies. For some people genetics is a factor. Beyond getting eight hours sleep a night and making sure you are drinking enough liquids, here are suggestions for helping reduce the occasional eye puffiness resulting from a late night or extra stress.

Green or black tea bags make wonderful eye compreses. Pour hot water over your tea bag as if you were making a cup of tea, then put them in the refrigerator to cool off. When you are ready to relax, take 2 cold tea bags, wring out excess liquid, lie down and place over the eyes. Relax for about ten minutes.
Choose an eye product containing caffeine or guarana. The caffeine helps to restrict blood flow, thus reducing puffiness.
4. Dark circles
Dark circles and puffy eyes often occur together, and the same culprits apply: not enough sleep, not enough liquids, allergies or genetics. An additional cause of of dark circles is engorged or broken capillaries which can look like bruising. Some remedies are:

Choose an eye serum that contains Vitamin K. Vitamin K helps with blood clotting, thus reducing bruising.
Look for bioflavonoids like rutin in your eye product. Bioflavonoids help strengthen capillaries to reduce bruising.
kmaya
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Natalyn! I want to try the tape too. I've read about the tea bags before but it's a good reminder.
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:09 am      Reply with quote
I like the tea bag idea, too. I can easily try that! Sometimes I wake up with a big bag under my eyes. I have tons of green tea bags, so I will make sure I use them on my eyes per the instructions in this article. Very Happy
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
I just want to add another trick for tired, even irritated eyes. Place cold cucumber slices over your eyes and lay down with them on for 10-15 minutes! This really soothes and even takes the red out of your eyes. I have done this since I was in my teens and swear by it. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
Darkmoon, I've never actually tried the cucumber trick... always thought it was some kind of myth... so must go cut up a couple slices and cool to try out!! Very Happy It is when I suddenly have a change in work shift with lack of sleep that nothing seems to help, so must try this!!

The mention of the tape reminds me I have a few Frownies left over somewhere, I better dig them out and use them up on the crows feet area!

Lymphatic massage on the eye area could help too, just in case it was the case of a slow lymphatic drainage. It has helped me when it was the case, and also with the vaculifter or similar product in the area.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
ATester,

The cold does cause my eyes to tear (but everything does!) Smile But it really does refresh and actually whiten my eyes, they always look and feel great after I use the cucumber slices. Hope it helps your strained eyes! Smile

5% products discount

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
I want to try the tea bags. I have tried raw potatoes (I read it in a magazine). It's better than cucumber. Aside from this, I also use an eye cream from Omorovicza (Reviving Eye Cream). It has vitamin K which is great in diminishing dark circles.
kmaya
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
Raw Potatoes? Do they need to be cold or thinly sliced?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
Cucumbers have worked beautifully for me for 40+ years, but as we know what's great for one may not be for another. Smile

Rather than spending a fortune on eye creams to get Vitamin K, gelatin is loaded with it so I am reposting here a recipe that's in the index. Good luck all! Smile

Page 7

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=51728#51728

Darren's (aka: pbsadhaka) homemade Dark Eye Circle's Buster:

pbsadhaka wrote:
OK. Here is a gift to all you dark circled eyed gals out there. You asked for something to get rid of dark circles - here is a homemade Circle Buster recipe:

Go to your grocery store. Buy a box of regular, old fashioned unflavored gelatin (Knox, for example)
Take a small cup or bowl and put in 1/4 teaspoon of the gelatin mix. Add 1 Tablespoon of boiling water & stir for a minute.

Test it on your wrist to make sure it is not too hot. Then, using a cotton ball, pat it under your eyes as you would an eye cream or gel. Go lie down and listen to some music, or take a bath & let it stay on for at least 30 minutes. Then just rinse it off.

I worked in a day spa & this was our "Circle Buster" Treatment. Gelatin is very high in Vitamin K & Biotin. It will not remove your circles on the first application (but you will notice a difference), but if you do it daily for a week, and then 2-3 times a week for maintenance, you should notice a drastic reduction in dark circles.

The day spa where I worked charged $60 for this treatment (but they put rose petals on your eyelids), and it wasn't until after I quit, that I found out what was in those little white packets!
There you go.....enjoy!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:53 pm      Reply with quote
OOOOO Thanks DarkMoon, I had copied this recipe a year ago when I was lurking and completely forgot about it!
Have you tried this yourself?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:26 am      Reply with quote
kmaya wrote:
OOOOO Thanks DarkMoon, I had copied this recipe a year ago when I was lurking and completely forgot about it!
Have you tried this yourself?

Hi kmaya,

I am glad I posted it again. Smile I have used it but only when I haven't gotten enough sleep, I don't normally have dark circles! It's a treat that works well for most with them, you have to use it as directed a friend of mine has used it that way and it's really made hers disappear. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:51 am      Reply with quote
The scotch tape for wrinkles works AWESOMELY.
It's the fastest, cheapest most awesome beauty idea I've ever come across. I tape my face as often as I can, it helps with wrinkles, pores, keeps your skin moist. It's so awesome.
I believe the reason it works so great it because the tape prevents oxidation. (i.e. CO2 production).
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
I can't use any tape on my skin for fear of tearing skin off since I use acids at night.

As for cold teabags, cucumber or whatever, I doubt it's WHAT you put on your eyes but more the fact of it being COLD.
tomisonbottom
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
I can't use any tape on my skin for fear of tearing skin off since I use acids at night.

As for cold teabags, cucumber or whatever, I doubt it's WHAT you put on your eyes but more the fact of it being COLD.

Actually, the cold temp helps but the caffeine in the tea bags is what really helps; so what you're putting on your face DOES matter.
Also, you can get around that problem with tape by just having your skin moist enough when you put the tape and/or putting the tape on your hand, peeling it off and then putting it on your face so it's not quite as sticky.
I used to use retin-a at night too, stopped using it and it's the best thing I've ever done for my skin.

If you do use retin-A you might want to read about the Excess Deaths in VA Tretinoin-Retin-A Trial that the FDA was silent about.
The purpose of trial was to establish the effectiveness of Retin-A as a chemoprevention intervention for nonmelanoma skin cancer. The trial failed to demonstrate effectiveness as a cancer prevention treatment. Instead, there were statistically significant, unanticipated extra deaths among those applying tretinoin, compared with those given a placebo: the trial was terminated 6 months early (in 2004).
You can read a ton more about this and the references for these facts on this forum posting:
http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=1035&p=27799&hilit=retin#p27799
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
They must have been using some high doses.
tomisonbottom
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
They must have been using some high doses.

Nope, excepting application of it to the ears they used the same amount and type of application I used myself for years on my face (1% twice daily) all the time thinking I needed it for my wrinkles. Tape has done in 3 months what 3 years of Retin-A never did and I don't pay a bunch of money for it. People don't realize all the safety studies and evidence you see for a product is usually paid for by the company making or associated with manufacturing and selling the product. It's good to keep an open mind and think twice about anything you put on your skin. Your skin is an organ and all chemicals put on it are going to have an effect on your body, one way or another, especially when it's done for extended periods of time. Smoking used to be widely touted as safe by Dr's, etc. too.

They used:
"Interventions: Application of tretinoin, 0.1%, or vehicle control cream twice daily to the face and ears.

Main Outcome Measures: Death, which was not contemplated as an end point in the original study design.

Results: The interventionwas terminated 6months early because of an excessive number of deaths in the tretinointreated group. Post hoc analysis of this difference revealed minor imbalances in age, comorbidity, and smoking status, all of which were important predictors of death. After adjusting for these imbalances, the difference in mortality between the randomized groups remained statistically significant."
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:

Hi SoftSkin, there is something not quite right about something here... If the acids are causing your skin to thin, stop,... Acids are supossed to thicken the under layer of skin, boost collagen. But if you overdoo the use of the acid used it can make the skin thin, less is more than often best.And if using tape is only going to "tear away" dry/dead skin, no fear. Another option is to take off the tape under water, in the shower or wetting it well so it won't pull the skin, so the tearing off the skin doesn't happen. HIH.
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:01 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |