Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Paula rants about facial exercising
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Hermosa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, I know she's done it before, but this attack seems particularly virulent: http://www.cosmeticscop.com/BULLETIN/031110-full.htm?utm_source=Bonus_Beauty_Bulletin

I sort of follow her ligaments vs muscles argument (she's seriously lacking in providing real life substantiation). Anyone with more knowledge of physiology have any comment? (No hassles, please, for my being on her email list...usually I just delete them, but this one caught my eye.)
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
LOL No hassles I promise, I don't do facial exercises but I use OCM everyday 2X per day and would think the same would apply to all the massaging? I may be comparing apples and oranges but it is manipulation of the skin and underlying ligaments and muscles and I can say that years of using this as a cleansing method hasn't loosened my skin or caused wrinkles? hmm

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:19 am      Reply with quote
I'll let you all sort this one out. I think it's odd that she's circulating this virtually SAME article AGAIN, and again... it's several years old and quite generic... In the 5 or so years since she last published this we've found even more scientific support for what we do and she's YET to site anything other than 1950's beauty advise...

I know we had a huge discussion on it within our forum...the most recent time (I think) here...

In 2006: http://flexeffect.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=531

In 2005: http://flexeffect.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=260 (someone even sites in this thread that they saw her same article a few years(?) prior to that one...

Deb addresses her claims there, if you care to read it. That would be someone who's been exercising her face for 30+ years, and knows WAY more people actually doing facial exercises than I venture to guess that Paula has "heard" from via e-mail inquiring on her opinion of it...

Interesting to me that her article came out last time right after our 2nd edition release.
Quite a co-inky-dink it came out again...

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:44 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, Claudia. I knew she had talked about it before and that it had been discussed here, but didn't realize it was the exact same piece (I didn't remember the part about the ligaments.)

I'll check out those threads,and yes, it may be that the release of a few updates to exercising products -- yours and Facercise and maybe others -- triggered the latest rant.

It's too bad in a way, because I remember when she was a renegade who was taking on the establishment and telling people that a lot of hyped products were crap. Now she is the establishment and apparently not that open to other perspectives.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:20 am      Reply with quote
It's possible she has taken this anti facial ex. stance and now cannot back down even though evidence is proving more and more that facial exercise works.

How does she explain true physical evidence in people like Eva Frasier, Lei Eigard, Carole Maggio and Deb Crowley? She says facial exercise can make the structure worse. Nothing in my own face or what the mirror tells me validates that after two years of faithful exercise. How can all of these women look so amazing after DECADES of exercise if it only makes the tone of the face worse?
How can Loren Pickart and Perricone and Dr Oz advocate this? They are the type to think outside the box and are connecting the dots.

Does Paula know more than they do?
She promotes the obvious: sunscreen, retin A, AHA's etc. Anyone on here could do the same. You would think she would at least recognize the *possibility* that facial exercise has demonstrated itself as worthy of examining. But that would mean she'd have to admit she was wrong all along.

The big argument I hear is that there is no scientific evidence about facial exercise. If it became a part of an NIH study or in the hands of big business as a terrific money-maker we'd have lots of studies to validate the results. I wish there were studies for many reasons.

I have studied in the field of science for about 30 years and there is one thing I know, science is not static. There is also art to much of science. Facial exercise is art and science. Like body bulding and or any type of body sculpting.

The face is not a separate entity to the mechanism of the body. If I did not exercise my body I would sag. That's simply the truth. Because I regularly exercise my legs, glutes, tummy, arms etc I can wear a bikini at the age of 52 and proudly. I plan on holding my face the same way.

A major part of the results of facial exercise is due to commitment and maintaining motivation. It takes more time than adding a face cream or two or three. I believe it is the time element that causes many to not commit or turn away from it. Plus there is that age old fear that if you *touch your face* it will wrinkle which is promoted by people as we see with Paula.

To my mind that is debunked but still circulates and creates fear. (1950's beauty advice - true!).. I remember adding eye cream years ago with that oh-so-gentle pat, pat motion lest I pull too hard. I still do this to apply eye cream. But this is after eye-lifing exercise and massage technique.

Thanks Claudia for sharing the sites on FE.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:23 am      Reply with quote
I got to say, that even her stuff on ligaments is so wrong. Deb wrote about that stuff in the new book in such an easy to understand way (as I'm not doctor I need it in plain english), and it was always an argument against facial exercises on the old YTF board (which looks like it died a death now compared with how it used to be).

I think she does a lot of scare tactics to promote her own stuff. Having said that I did have one of her books that I thought was brilliant at the time, until I was having lunch with a friend and showed her the book. She's a pharmaceutical and read some of her comments in the book and said they were completely false and not actually science based at all. So its sad that she feels determined to scare everyone away from them. I do wonder why she never attempts to make contact with any one who designed a program, as I'm sure they would alleviate her concerns. Its funny thing about that news thing though, that she doesn't allow you to post comments - probably because she knows people would call her on the inaccuracies.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
You know... I tried to click the link in our old thread that showed her older article, it was not there anymore...

I don't think it's an EXACT reprint... but pretty much the same. I think she addressed the ligaments in the 2004/5 rant... I don't blame her. I used a high school speech in a college course once... It was already done, I was busy, I changed a few things, it was my own work... there you go. Granted, I didn't deliver it to the same audience.

On that note... Sister... GOOD FOR YOU and that bikini... with kids and all! Work it!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
It's possible she has taken this anti facial ex. stance and now cannot back down even though evidence is proving more and more that facial exercise works.

I think you're onto something. It's very hard to back down once you've made your opinion public - damages credibility and "expert" status.
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
You know some of her products she sells are awesome, but her reviews really suck sometimes!!

Many of the products she reviews she does not even test on herself! I have been using the tua tr'end for nearly 3 months, and my skin and face look better than ever!

She should try these methods herself before reviewing them. Very Happy
3rd.oculus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
lipglossdoll wrote:
You know some of her products she sells are awesome, but her reviews really suck sometimes!!

Many of the products she reviews she does not even test on herself! I have been using the tua tr'end for nearly 3 months, and my skin and face look better than ever!

She should try these methods herself before reviewing them. Very Happy

How can you even review something without testing it???
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
Lipglossdoll - I agree about trying before reviewing. This way you at least understand the basics and some of the nuances of a product - even if it is good for one person and not so good for another you can discuss it with a true opinion.

3rd oculus (most interesting name) - The fact that she is recycling the "same old - same old" articles and arguments is very telling.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:

3rd oculus (most interesting name) - The fact that she is recycling the "same old - same old" articles and arguments is very telling.

Hmm, yes. For the average reader, it's easy to get excited about something that promises results, especially when it comes out of the mouth of an expert. But we need to slow down and be more critical.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
I've never considered her an expert (oops!) and if she is going to present herself as one, she should be up-to-date with information. Good Point how the "average reader" may take her information at face value instead of critically evaluating.

5% products discount

Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
Facial exercises stretch the skin causing it to lose collagen and wrinkle, after all you are creating lots of creases every time you do them... http://www.dermtv.com/effects-facial-exercises-your-facial-skin

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Julia - We know about Dr. Shultz. Like Dr. Shultz, most derms don't know anything about facial exercise. It is not part of their training and there is no continuing education for them in this area.

Many progressive MDs and PhD's do understand facial exercise and promote it. Dr Shultz is more oriented toward his own skin care products if I remember correctly. If you can exercise your body muscles and get tone and contour and lift, your face is not a totally different entity (there is muscle there as well) and should be able to do the same = just smaller muscles and more due diligence. I think Dr. Shultz could benefit from them also.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:03 pm      Reply with quote
Julia - check out this link:

evafraser.com

She is 80 years old in her picture and has been exercising her face for over 30 years.

Also check out Flexeffect.com (Deb Crowley) and facercise.com (Carole Maggio) for other prime examples of facial exercising for decades. Both women are in their 60's with 30 years of exercise. No wrinkles there. How old is Dr. Shultz?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:20 am      Reply with quote
Hermosa wrote:
Okay, I know she's done it before, but this attack seems particularly virulent: http://www.cosmeticscop.com/BULLETIN/031110-full.htm?utm_source=Bonus_Beauty_Bulletin
(No hassles, please, for my being on her email list...usually I just delete them, but this one caught my eye.)

Hee hee...I get email from her too. I read most of what she has to say. I think she does have some good stuff to say but I dont agree with everything. It always good to have another point of view I think.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:46 am      Reply with quote
I tell you what, I'd rather take my chances with facial exercises and ending up like Deb, Eva or the others than like Dr Shultz. There was a whole thread about that article, and he made an appearance but never came back to answer any of the posts or questions put to him. I think he has a vested interest in people not doing exercises, after all he makes a business of doing surgery and procedures on people, he wants to keep his books full.
Julia Bartlet wrote:
Facial exercises stretch the skin causing it to lose collagen and wrinkle, after all you are creating lots of creases every time you do them... http://www.dermtv.com/effects-facial-exercises-your-facial-skin
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
Such comments as by Paula and Dr. Shultz scare people away from something that is actually working in the best natural way. Interestingly a friend of mine contacted me yesterday with references to the very same Paula's article stating that facial exercises are bad. At the same time several years ago when I was just starting doing FE she was stating that I was about to ruin my face. I decided to stop discussing this subject and quietly continued with FE.

A couple months ago she was looking at me and was wondering how come I look so good. Since our conversation several years ago she developed nasalabial folds and her face started showing sagging, while mine did not change much. NL folds are her biggest concern. Thanks to people such as Paula and Dr. Shultz a friend of mine lost several years of possible facial exercises and good looks. Such individuals have vested interest in preventing easy and accessible to anybody means for appearance improvements.

How anyone in a normal state of mind can compare a paralyzed individual to a bodybuilder hmm Just imagine seventy year old paralyzed person and seventy year old bodybuilder … who looks better? And how sagging faces can be compared to natural beauties such as Deb and other facialbuilders...

Over the time I learned to trust myself and my own conclusions. Facial exercises made lots of sense to me when I started doing them and make even more sense now. Smile
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
So true mpstat - those sorts of comments DO scare people away. If I had to name one thing that I would never give up in my facial care regime it would be facial exercise. It's the number one ticket to remaining youthful looking in a natural way - basically you are in control and not at the mercy of your aging process or at the mercy and expense of a filler. I love what I have learned about facial exercise and I totally love the way my face feels after exercising - energized, robust and fuller.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Lipglossdoll The fact that she is recycling the "same old - same old" articles and arguments is very telling.

So are the pictures of her face...put her pic side by side with all the reigning ladies of facial exercise (especially with no makeup and fancy lighting) and I guarantee no one will want Paula's squishy jawline, etc.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
sister sweets wrote:
Lipglossdoll The fact that she is recycling the "same old - same old" articles and arguments is very telling.

So are the pictures of her face...put her pic side by side with all the reigning ladies of facial exercise (especially with no makeup and fancy lighting) and I guarantee no one will want Paula's squishy jawline, etc.

Laughing This made me laugh.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
So true mpstat - those sorts of comments DO scare people away. If I had to name one thing that I would never give up in my facial care regime it would be facial exercise. It's the number one ticket to remaining youthful looking in a natural way - basically you are in control and not at the mercy of your aging process or at the mercy and expense of a filler. I love what I have learned about facial exercise and I totally love the way my face feels after exercising - energized, robust and fuller.

Exactly! If we are stranded on an uninhibited island facial exercises will keep our faces youthful, and facial massage will take care of skin Laughing
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
I mean honestly, how is facial exercise more detrimental to the skin than getting a face lift? I never understand when people make that claim. They mean to tell me that pulling and stretching the skin is more detrimental than cutting it and stapling it back on the face?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
skincarefreak wrote:
I mean honestly, how is facial exercise more detrimental to the skin than getting a face lift? I never understand when people make that claim. They mean to tell me that pulling and stretching the skin is more detrimental than cutting it and stapling it back on the face?

Very good point! There is all the inflammation, the risk of infection, the chance that you will look mega stretched (and you can;t fix that like you can just stop exercising to correct some overbuilding), etc.

I would love to see someone issue a 90 day facial exercise challenge to Paula.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:19 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |