Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Allure Article:Younger Skin Right Now
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
Allure Article:

Younger Skin Right Now
The 31 most effective ways to wipe years off your face. By Brooke Le Poer Trench

I hope you enjoy this article! I would encourage you to purchase the April addition of Allure, it has some great articles!(Warning it's long)

10 things that really keep your skin firm

Put spring into your skin
“If I had to pick one thing to fix my skin, I would choose elastin,” says Miami Beach dermatologist Leslie Baumann. “Elasticity is what makes youthful skin really snap back when you press it.” The sobering reality, though, is that we stop making elastin around the time we hit puberty and until very recently, nobody really knew how to trick the skin into making more. “Collagen is so much easier to stimulate than elastin”, says Baumann. Retinoids seem to help. And scientists have now discovered that dill extract may produce new elastin. (It’s found in the new Aveeno Ageless Vitality line, Olay Pro-X Intensive Firming treatment, and DDF Restoring Night Serum).

Make Collagen
Without collagen, skin is destined to have the same texture as old leather bag. Fortunately, there’s a way to make more: retinoid. They are the rare family of ingredients that dermatologists agree actually work. “We know that they stilmulate collagen production and cellular regeneration,” says Brant. The nonprescription form, called retinol can start working in six months. (We like Replenix Retinol Plus Serum 10X.) Prescription retinoids are more powerful but also more irritating.

Look out for your eyes
They should be the windows to your soul not your birth certificate. Big sunglasses help. Baumann also says to wear a retinoid at night such as (Shisedo Benefiance Pure Mask) and , in the morning, Relastin Eye Silk, “which is shown to increase elastin under the eyes”.

Take Cover
Sure, you could hide out in a cave. But it’s a lot easier to simply apply sunscreen every morning, just as you know you should. The sun really is skin’s worst enemy: “Long-term exposure causes collagen to break down and elastin to degrade,” says Brandt. Choose broad-spectrum formulations with Heiloplex or Mexoryl, which offer the longest- lasting production, and be sure the SPF’s at least 30.

Fight free radicals
Antioxidants are the superheros of skin care. They protect skin from all the evil forces in the environment also know as free radicals plus block an enzyme called elastase that breaks down elastin. Choose products containing several different antioxidants “they often work best in synergy”, says Sobel , who recommends those with vitamins A and C and Coenzyme Q10, such as Eucerin Q10 Anti- Wrinkle Sensitive Skin Lotion SPF 15

Make Most of Moisturizer
Here’s one thing we bet you didn’t know about moisturizers: They protect skin against free-radical damage. “Dehydration leads to oxidative strees, which generates free radicals,” says Brandt. “Without moisture, your skin isn’t able to repair itself and suffers even more damage.” You just have to use the right product. Cholesterol, Ceramides, essential fatty acids, and niacinamide are among the best ingredients they improve skin’s protective moisture barrier. (Try CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion or Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream.)

Relax your neck
During a workout, it’s perfectly acceptable to sweat, pant, and even grunt just don’t strain your neck. “I see women do this when they jog,” says Brandt. “They’re strengthening the muscles that eventually pull down their faces.”

Eat Skinny Foods
It’s well know that food can make you thin or fat, alert or tired happy or sad. Now add younger or older to that list. “New research tells us that low levels of vitamin C and zinc, among other skin-essential nutrients, may inhibit the skin’s ability to repair itself”, says Macrene Alexiades-Armenakas, assistant clinical professor of dermatology at Yale School of medicine. To keep skin happy, eat more fatty fish (such as salmon), dark green vegetables (broccoli), almonds, and walnuts. And drink lots of green tea

Don’t Smoke
Rather than nag you to quit, we are just going to present the facts: “Smoking destroys collagen and elastin,” says Brandt, “and it decreases levels of estrogen which is necessary to keep skin firm.

Ignore Your Cravings
It’s not much fun to hear, but some experts believe that overindulging in sugar (and corn syrup, dextrose, and fruit-juice concentrate) can prematurely age skin early as our mid 30’s. Sugar in the bloodstream forums harmful molecules called advanced glycation end products (or, appropriately, enough AGEs) And AGEs weaken collagen and elastin.

Five Supplements that will change your skin

Coenzyme Q 10 “This is my favorite antioxidant”, says Baumann. “It protects the skin from oxidative stress and helps give cells the energy they need to repair themselves”. It may also play a role in treating skin cancer. Just to be sure to take it in the morning, since it can be stimulating as caffeine.

Evening Primrose Oil
This omega-6 fatty acid “helps your skin make ceramides to hold onto water more effectively,” says Baumann. It even treats eczema. (Baumann likes the formulation from Weil Nutritional Supplements.)

Vitamin C

Without this antioxidant our body cannot make more collagen. And even though it’s available in creams and serums, it’s much better absorbed when taken orally, says Baumann.

Polypodium leucotomos ( Found in heliocare pills)
This fern extract “has been shown to protect skin from UV damage,” says Baumann who suggests taking it on days you’ll be spending a lot of time outside. “There is also very good studies showing it decreases redness after sun exposure.”
Fish or Flaxseed Oil

Omega-3 fatty acids “strengthen the skin’s barrier, which keeps moisture in and irritants out,” says Sobel. “They also help reduce inflammation and treat conditions like eczema.”

The Five Best Ways to Fade Dark Spots

Treatment: Creams containing lighters such as soy, licorice extract, kojic acid, or 2 percent hydroquinone.

Results: The most effective creams combine lighters with exfolators: Clinique even better Clincial skin tone corrector, vivite vibrance, and skincenticals pigment regulator fade mild spots in three monts.

Treatment: Prescription 4 percent hydroquinone cream

Results: This does fades dark spots within a month but may be irritating. It usually doesn’t clear skin completely unless it’s combined with a laser treatment or a professional peel.

Treatment: Intense Pulsed Light

Results: This doctor’s treatment dissolves freckles and dark spots and feels like quick, hot pinpricks. “You’ll start to see fading after the first treatment,” Sobel says but it can take three to five sessions to clear skin.
Treatment: Q-Switch Ruby Laser
Results: One 5 to 15 minute zap produces a mild burring sensation and leaves behind a scab over each spot that usually heals with no mark in a week.

Treatment: Fractional Erbium Lasers, such as Palomar Fractional

Results: There are the gold standard for treating large area of pigmented skin, including melasma,. “One session may clear the skin,” says Brandt. It’s possible to feel mid burning and pain during the treatment and to peel for a week after it.
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
I have a question, and if anyone who stumbles across this auricle knows, could you please tell me if this is correct.

Now I've swear I've read this more than once ( I could be just crazy though Smile If you stop using retinoids, doesn't your skin revert back before you starting using them? If this is true wouldn't it be better to use another anti aging ingredient such a vitamin c?

Laughing
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
You need both retinoids (preferably retin a) AND vitamin C - Use C in the morning and your retin product at night. Always both products, not an either/or.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
You need both retinoids (preferably retin a) AND vitamin C - Use C in the morning and your retin product at night. Always both products, not an either/or.

Yes I know this. This wasn't the question I had. My question was if you stop using retinoids doesn't your skin revert back to the way it was. I believe I have read this before, but I could be wrong. Smile
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
SkinCareJunkie wrote:
I have a question, and if anyone who stumbles across this auricle knows, could you please tell me if this is correct.

Now I've swear I've read this more than once ( I could be just crazy though Smile If you stop using retinoids, doesn't your skin revert back before you starting using them? If this is true wouldn't it be better to use another anti aging ingredient such a vitamin c?

Laughing

Yes, your skin will slowly revert back when you stop using RA, but remember that is the case with All topicals!
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
SkinCareJunkie wrote:

Laughing

Yes, your skin will slowly revert back when you stop using RA, but remember that is the case with All topicals!

Ah yes this makes since. So I guess that means the cosmetic companies must love us. Very Happy
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
SkinCareJunkie wrote:

Ah yes this makes since. So I guess that means the cosmetic companies must love us. Very Happy

Oh, no doubt that they love us! Laughing
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry - I did misunderstand your question but as Riley states if you stop using the product, you essentially stop getting the results .

Just like if you stop eating well (good nutrition) and eat too much sugar and bad fats - all the results of your previous good eating habits go away. We're stuck!!!!! Laughing At some point the only hope is maintenance.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
Also keep in mind that the dreaded aging process marches on... IMHO it's a fait accompli, just keeping one step ahead of that!

So yeah, keep doin' the good stuff... Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Sorry - I did misunderstand your question but as Riley states if you stop using the product, you essentially stop getting the results .

Just like if you stop eating well (good nutrition) and eat too much sugar and bad fats - all the results of your previous good eating habits go away. We're stuck!!!!! Laughing At some point the only hope is maintenance.

That's ok hun Smile If I've learned something if would be that you need to take care of your skin from within too! I have cut out all sugar out of my diet. I also don't use artificial sweeteners.
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
So according to this article Vitamin C is a necessity. I already knew this but how much should one take a day? My dad who is a vitamin nut told me that you can only absorb a certain amount at one time. (Not sure if this is true or not)

I tried looking this info up on google but didn't get a clear answer.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
SkinCareJunkie wrote:
So according to this article Vitamin C is a necessity. I already knew this but how much should one take a day? My dad who is a vitamin nut told me that you can only absorb a certain amount at one time. (Not sure if this is true or not)

I tried looking this info up on google but didn't get a clear answer.

It is true. What your body doesn't need, it will pee out! Very Happy
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
Vitamin C is water soluble meaning you will use as you need it and eventually the unused passes through the system - does not store like fat soluble vitamins -ADEK.

Most of a water soluble vitamin is excreted within 24 hours.

The thing is if you take 100 mg it doesn't mean all 100 mg is going to be needed or bioavailable at once. This is why it is sometimes better to stagger vitamin intake. I take about 1000 of C a day: 2-500mg doses. IT doesn't mean my body is going to use the total 1000 but I'm feeding it all it needs and can use. Exercise causes free radicals and this requires higher antioxidants such as C so I try to keep myself covered.
Also C is notoriously lauded as being good for collagen production.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:22 am      Reply with quote
Skincarejunkie - I also take 1000mg/day of Vitamin C for my skin. But I take a slow release tablet. This way my stomach doesn't complain (I would get passing neusea with a regular 1000mg tablet). Sis's example of two 500 tablets taken at different times of the day is another way to do it.

It is true that if you take too much at once, what the body doesn't need is passed out through your urine. Best to split it up.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:30 am      Reply with quote
I'm really glad to see Dr Baumann promoting elastin (and collagen). It makes me much happier to be using Skin Biology's Skin Signals since that has elastin and collagen in it in addition to CPs. I just purchased a full size bottle of it and am sneeking it into my routine (need to finish up my regular CP Serum first).

It's also interesting to note her comment on straining of the neck and that it can lead to "strengthening the muscles that eventually pull down their faces.” Hmmm *Must remember to not do this in crunches*

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
Riley: Yeah I wonder how many Vitamins my dad pees out. He Takes a big plate of them!

Sister & Foxe Thank you very much for the Vitamin C info. I have been taking 250mg a day. Next time I got to the health food store I'll see if this brand I'm using has 500mg. I have to be VERY careful about Vitamin brands. Some of the fillers in them make me brake out in boils.
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
I'm really glad to see Dr Baumann promoting elastin (and collagen). It makes me much happier to be using Skin Biology's Skin Signals since that has elastin and collagen in it in addition to CPs. I just purchased a full size bottle of it and am sneeking it into my routine (need to finish up my regular CP Serum first).

It's also interesting to note her comment on straining of the neck and that it can lead to "strengthening the muscles that eventually pull down their faces.” Hmmm *Must remember to not do this in crunches*

I'm glad you found this article helpful. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:11 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |