Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Favorite Recipe for C+E+Ferulic Serum?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:52 am      Reply with quote
Hi Kassie,

thank you for taking the time to post your recipes- the reviews are pretty impressive I must say. Very Happy

Are any posters from the UK making Kassy's serum? I need help with tracking down ingredients Smile

Curent Regime: Cosmetic Skin Solutions CE Ferulic and Phloretin/ Revale Intensive Serum / NIA 24 Intensive Recovery Complex cream / Jojoba and Squalane oils / Avene Emulsion SPF 50 & Prevage City Smart SPF 50 / Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0/ Dermaroller / Facial exercises
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
I threw together very quickly a serum that's pretty nice so far.

22% VIT C SERUM (L-AA + THDA)

10% L-AA (water soluble)
7% THDA (oil soluble)
2% Alpha Lipoic Acid (oil soluble)
1% Ferulic Acid (alcohol soluble)
3% Macadamia OR Grapeseed Oil (both have high vitamin E content and are lovely on the skin, without leaving a greasy feel.)
1% Polysorbate 80 (or emulsifier of your choice)
1% Vodka (for dissolving FA only, both can be left out if you choose.)
75% Distilled Water

Experienced DIY'ers will have no problems doing this in 3 simple phases.

For 'newbies', I'd suggest just leaving out the FAA and vodka, and proceeding in just 2 easy phases (oil + water).

Have fun!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
eeewwwww coool. A new recipe. I have everything but the emulsifier. I've been copper peptiding it almost exclusively since Spring but come Fall I'm changing things up again - diy C serum and probably Karin Herzog VK2. (Alternating with copper peptides.) Always had a nice result from that combo. Want to see if it will work again.

Also - buying some hydrosols from GoW. And some carrier oils for my oily old face.

Sure hope things pick up on EDS - maybe if we get the DIY threads going again Kassy!!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A

A big Thank YOU from far away. Your recipes are simply wonderful and I and many others appreciate the time you put in to creating and then so kindly sharing them with us. Till I found EDS I hadn't even heard of Vitamin C as a serum As such...I am a complete convert and have gone a bit buggy ordering all kinds of goodies to pamper myself with.

Please continue sharing, if that makes me a groupie too...fine. I can live with that. Very Happy
oranges
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
My favorite is the jojoba recipe.

Kassy please do not quit posting recipes, you've been a lifesaver!!!
Y34963
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
DragoN wrote:
Kassy_A

A big Thank YOU from far away. Your recipes are simply wonderful and I and many others appreciate the time you put in to creating and then so kindly sharing them with us. Till I found EDS I hadn't even heard of Vitamin C as a serum As such...I am a complete convert and have gone a bit buggy ordering all kinds of goodies to pamper myself with.

Please continue sharing, if that makes me a groupie too...fine. I can live with that. Very Happy

Another big thank you from far away. Kassy, your recipes have been absolutely wonderful and I thank you so much for sharing. I have so much making them and giving them to friends and family.

I am a groupie too, and I can also live with it. Smile
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:49 am      Reply with quote
You guys are too funny (and nice!)

I won't quit posting recipe's, it's just the "details" I'll be leaving out. (As usual, "groupies" can PM/email me for those Very Happy Laughing )

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
I threw together very quickly a serum that's pretty nice so far.

22% VIT C SERUM (L-AA + THDA)

10% L-AA (water soluble)
7% THDA (oil soluble)
2% Alpha Lipoic Acid (oil soluble)
1% Ferulic Acid (alcohol soluble)
3% Macadamia OR Grapeseed Oil (both have high vitamin E content and are lovely on the skin, without leaving a greasy feel.)
1% Polysorbate 80 (or emulsifier of your choice)
1% Vodka (for dissolving FA only, both can be left out if you choose.)
75% Distilled Water

Experienced DIY'ers will have no problems doing this in 3 simple phases.

For 'newbies', I'd suggest just leaving out the FAA and vodka, and proceeding in just 2 easy phases (oil + water).

Have fun!

Darn it! I wish I had waited a day.... I could've used this recipe.

I just made a batch and couldn't find a recipe w/ the THCDA in it, so I substituted your recipe for MAP instead. It's a watery serum and I think I would've liked the jojoba one posted on the first page better (I believe that's the first one I made). Oh well - must continue trying out new recipes.

Kassy - can you give us the teaspoon equilavents to that recipe above?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
Count me in as a groupie too, Kassy. Sure do miss your reports and recipes. Your warmth in your responses adds so much to this forum.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:59 am      Reply with quote
I have been using 5 drops of THDA in the oil part of the jojoba recipe.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
Count me in as a groupie too, Kassy. Sure do miss your reports and recipes. Your warmth in your responses adds so much to this forum.

You may want to PM this request Foxe (and let me know what she says Laughing ).

5% products discount

Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:24 am      Reply with quote
I saw the vodka was the solubilizor for FA and buffering the pH. So does it matter if I use a $10 cheap Vodka? If not, which vodka should I get? TIA!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:22 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
foxe wrote:

You may want to PM this request Foxe (and let me know what she says Laughing ).

LMAO!

Just for the record, THDA can be added to any of the DIY C serums I have posted, by just adding it to your oil prior to putting the phases together.

It's only if you want an "anhydrous" (no water) formula, that you would have to use a silicone base for it. (I've done that too, but wasn't really impressed.)

oranges
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Just for the record, THDA can be added to any of the DIY C serums I have posted, by just adding it to your oil prior to putting the phases together.

Thanks for reading my mind. I kindof posted it as a question but went back and read it and it didn't come across that way. Thanks so much for the reply and reading my mind!!!
Tea
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
Have been loving the DIY CEF serums and just tried the jojoba version. Love the ingredients, but when checked the ph it was off the charts at 2.0 or below? Shock Tried adding water, but more than an ounce barely took it to the 3. range and it was too watery. The ingredients separated.

The amounts look about right? Has anyone else checked ph on this version? If yes, maybe it's my ph strips?

Thanks! Wink
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
Tea wrote:
Have been loving the DIY CEF serums and just tried the jojoba version. Love the ingredients, but when checked the ph it was off the charts at 2.0 or below? Shock Tried adding water, but more than an ounce barely took it to the 3. range and it was too watery. The ingredients separated.

The amounts look about right? Has anyone else checked ph on this version? If yes, maybe it's my ph strips?

Thanks! Wink

Hi

I've used the joboba recipe. When I test the PH it's usually right around 3. I use the PH strips from Garden of Wisdom.

Where is your LAA from? Some of the health food type brands may have fillers or other ingredients in them that impact PH. I usually use LAA from Lotioncrafters, Garden of Wisdom or Skinactives.
Tea
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
Yep, bought all new supplies from Lotioncrafters, since wanted/needed fresh materials and read that it was one stop shopping. (Really fast shipping, too. Awesome.)

In the past, have used LAA from Skinactives. Have been making the standard CEF DIY recipe with same batch of ph strips and that version has always registered between 2.5 - 3.

No one mentioned sifting the LAA before using. That's the only other thing am thinking may try.

Thanks for checking in, ShastaGirl. If you're registering a good ph, am going to figure this out and make it work. It looks like a great recipe!
Algona
5% products discount

Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
Would somebody please give us the teaspoon equilavents to the recipe above - I don't have how to convert from the % to teaspoon. Crying or Very sad

Thank you
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
Algona wrote:
Would somebody please give us the teaspoon equilavents to the recipe above - I don't have how to convert from the % to teaspoon. Crying or Very sad

Thank you

It's 6 tsp. per oz. You should be able to work from there?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:54 am      Reply with quote
I've made a very simple Vit C serum and it has burned my skin. Embarassed This is the recipe I was following:

1 tsp LAA
3 tsp distilled water
1 tsp aloe vera gel
1/4 tsp Jojoba oil

step1: LAA + slightly warm water = mix until the crystals are dissolved

step2: Aloe + jojoba = mix
step3: mix the two mixes

I then put the mixture in the fridge.

What possibly went wrong .. What caused the burn?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:05 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
I've made a very simple Vit C serum and it has burned my skin. Embarassed This is the recipe I was following:

1 tsp LAA
3 tsp distilled water
1 tsp aloe vera gel
1/4 tsp Jojoba oil

step1: LAA + slightly warm water = mix until the crystals are dissolved

step2: Aloe + jojoba = mix
step3: mix the two mixes

I then put the mixture in the fridge.

What possibly went wrong .. What caused the burn?

The 'burn' is because you didn't use enough liquid, to accomodate the 1 tsp of L-AA.

To have a 15% concentration you must put 1 tsp of L-AA into 6 tsp of liquid (1oz).

Math is my weakness, but your formula looks to be in the neighborhood of a 25(ish) % concentration Crying or Very sad (4 1/4 tsp of fluid, based on what you wrote)

DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
*Ouch* Russiansunshine

To be on the safe side...I don't do the tsp and Tbsp measures...as there are differences in the Tbsps between America and the rest of the world.

Here 1 Tbsp =20ml
America =15 ml

Hit and miss...also, measures of powders, the weights are what we really need in order to calculate percentages correctly.

1 ml H20 = 1 gram

1 gram or tsp of whatever powder will not equal 1 gram of another...different molecular densities. Surface area based on powder size will also affect your measurements. Different volumes, as that is what you are measuring with tsp/ tbsp's.

A micro scale will solve this problem for you. I also got beakers and graduated cylinders...just to be *anal retentive* about it...and it's fun playing the mad bio chemist again.

Kassy, you have jacked up the Ferulic Acid content ....
http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v126/n5/full/5700232a.html

Do you have other information that you based that on or you have found it to be more effective for yourself?

Only asking, as I am curious, I love your recipes.
Hermosa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
THDA = Tennessee Housing Development Agency???
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hermosa wrote:
THDA = Tennessee Housing Development Agency???

LOL Hermosa! Smile
cross post from vitamin c DIY thread

THDA is Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate one of the lipid forms of Vitamin C.

HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks DarkMoon! Usually I can google my way out of ignorance, so I'm lucky to have you all to help me out when google lets me down!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:02 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |