Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What is a good moisturizer to use with Retin-A?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
christinab77
5% products discount

Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:40 am      Reply with quote
I just got a prescription for Retin-A .01% and my face is starting to peel. What is a good moisturizer that will help with the dryness but not clog my pores?
Thanks!
Sharkbait
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:50 am      Reply with quote
Personally, I've has great results with LRPs moisturizer for skin that's dry from medical treatment with retin a or isotretinoin. The name escapes me at the moment, but it's Effaclar H, I think. I had massive purging, but the moisturizer kept the flakies under decent control.HTH, and good luck!
Sharkbait
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
I found it on the international La Roche Posay site, full name is Effaclar H, Compensating soothing moisturizer. The ingredients list is scary as, and I'm sort of glad I didn't read it before I started using it, but it has worked for me regardless. I've used nothing but the tretinoin, this lotion and the cleanser in the same range for about 7 weeks now.
INGREDIENTS
AQUA / WATER
SQUALANE
GLYCERIN
CYCLOHEXASILOXANE
PROPYLENE GLYCOL
BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII / SHEA BUTTER
CAPRYLIC / CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE
PEG-100 STEARATE
GLYCERYL STEARATE
PEG-20 STEARATE
BISABOLOL
TEA-CARBOMER
AMMONIUM POLYACRYLOYLDIMETHYL TAURAT
DISODIUM EDTA
HYDROXYPALMITOYL SPHINGANINE
TETRASODIUM EDTA
XANTHAN GUM
CETYL ALCOHOL
STEARYL ALCOHOL
MYRISTYL ALCOHOL
T-BUTYL ALCOHOL
CITRIC ACID
TOCOPHEROL
SODIUM BENZOATE
PHENOXYETHANOL
METHYLPARABEN
PROPYLPARABEN
PERFUME / FRAGRANCE
Leggy 61
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
Bio-Active day cream is good with retin a and does'nt clog pores,you can use it at night also after the retin a just wait 30 min.
brenpatsa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
I have had great results with Cerave', which my dermatologist recommended. You can get it at drugstores, etc. (sometimes they have it behind the pharmacy for some reason). I have highly reactive skin and yet this has never caused a breakout. It has ceramides and other goodies in and the price is right for a big 'ol bottle. I use it on my face and body and it plumps my skin up and makes it feel like velvet.
petu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:51 am      Reply with quote
i was extremely dry when I used retin A. I found that the dr. Haushka Rose cream helped with the dryness a lot, it also was soothing to my skin and made it less irritated. However nothing completely got rid of the peeling, unfortunately
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:53 am      Reply with quote
PSF Bio Copper Serum... helps soothe irritation and redness, boosts collagen.
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:02 am      Reply with quote
I almost forgot... Valmont Dermo soothing cream
Jess_Doll
5% products discount

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:02 am      Reply with quote
I use Olay Regenerist Night Cream after apply retin-a. I wait about 10min before putting on the moisturiser.
ella-stella
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:43 am      Reply with quote
I used 100% pure Emu Oil. It is not expensive, natural, anti-inflammatory and very moisturizing. It doesn't create problems with my pores.
christinab77
5% products discount

Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Is it better to moisturize first then put on the Retin-A or Retin-A then moisturizer?
Sharkbait
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:39 am      Reply with quote
I wait at least 30 minutes after washing before I put the tretinoin on. I don't use anything else before the next morning.

Some people buffer by using moisturiser first, or applying moisturiser after half an hour or so after the tretinoin. Personally I haven't tried, but the brand I'm using is quite emollient on it's own.
secretly
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
I put the Retin-A on at night with moisturizer.... Anne Marie Borland ZZ Sensitive Night Cream that I buy at Henry's it's about $35 but lasts a long time. My derm told me to mix RA and moisturizer to make it less harsh, and it still is doing what it's supposed to do.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
I forgot to say why I like AMB creams, I just copied this but says it all....besides the RA I don't want to rub chemicals into my very sensitive skin, her creams really are so nice, this one is very soothing, calming, and moisturizing:

Annemarie Borlind products are recognized internationally as among the world's foremost herbal skin care preparations made from natural ingredients - pure unchlorinated spring water from deep beneath the Black Forest - allantoin, avocado, calendula, chamomile, echinacea, rosemary, sage, St. John's Wort - oils of sesame, peanut, coconut, carrot, jojoba, macadamia nut - plus naturally occurring vitamins and antioxidants.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:03 am      Reply with quote
Hmmm... the 0.1% Retin-A does not flake my skin as much as i would like it to. Maybe I've got relatively tough skin. In fact, I try not to use moisturizer over it as I feel that it is oily enough to be a moisturizer in itself, and I feel that adding a moisturizer on top of it will lessen its effects. Why not try reducing the frequency of use (eg. alternate days).
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
chloes wrote:
Hmmm... the 0.1% Retin-A does not flake my skin as much as i would like it to.

chloes, do you use the cream or the gel? I actually found that the microgel really made my skin dry and flaky way more than either the regular gel or cream. Of course it doesn't mean the RA is not working by not causing the flaking but I know sometimes people want to see that part.
ellet
5% products discount

Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
I just started using retin a .5 yesterday and i'm using cetaphil moisturzer one hour after. it has macademia nut oil. is that good?
chloes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
I use the cream. I wanted to switch to the gel as I find the cream too oily for my liking. However, it is not available in gel form here. So no choice I guess. I do flake very slightly at random areas, say on one side of my temple or one side of the mouth.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
Another La Roche Posay moisturizer that is good is Toleriane Riche. It is preservative free and is great if you are prone to redness. The main ingredients are Squalane, Glycerin, and Shea Butter.

There is also a regular version and a light version.
Jesselyn
5% products discount

Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:08 am      Reply with quote
Rose hip oil & Dermalogica's Intensive Moisture Balance is great (I'm on Roaccutane)
gossamerwings
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:16 am      Reply with quote
I use the .1 microgel from A.D.C. I follow it twenty to thirty minutes later with Emu oil.

I have not found it keeps the skin from flaking, but that it does make it easier to exfoliate. I have found that its very good for the tightness that retinol's can give my skin.
Y34963
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
I put together oils and use on my face when my skin gets dry when I am using Retin-A. I change them depending what I have in my potion cupboard.

Right now I am using Sweet Almond Oil, Argan Oil and Sunflower Oil. Sometimes I add a bit of Lavendar Essential Oil to it if I am having a stressful day. I usually put this on about 3 hours after I put the Retin-A on and if needed in the morning too.
beautyrose
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:24 am      Reply with quote
SkinCeuticals's B5.
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:33 am      Reply with quote
I have used rosehip oil for 4 months but no success to hydrate my skin after using retinoids. Then I have shifted to use jojoba oil & squalane, a great difference.
snowymtn
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
I love Nia 24 Skin Strengthening complex an hour after retin A. Nice smooth skin in the morning with no peeling.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:08 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |