Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

It would be nice to be able to eat bread AND lose weight
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
I am keeping my eye out for the clinical trials to come in on this.

http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/headline_health/cake_bread_lose_weight/2010/04/05/314157.html?s=al&promo_code=9B22-1

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:14 am      Reply with quote
It's not possible, don't believe whatever trial you are following. If you have blood type O wheat based foods in general are the death. They cause serious weight problems, period. I am assuming btw that by bread they mean wheat bread. I had pizza yesterday at the mall. Came home, looked in the mirror and felt fat. Very Happy
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:09 am      Reply with quote
The title of this article is ridiculous. Any additive the causes a nutrient to pass thru the body without being absorbed isn't healthy.

It doesn't teach a person new healthy habits and you also miss out on other nutrients.
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:48 am      Reply with quote
Everything is OK in moderation Smile

You might not be able to eat a loaf of bread per day to lose weight, but some bread here and there won't kill you Smile

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:53 am      Reply with quote
Josee wrote:
Everything is OK in moderation Smile

You might not be able to eat a loaf of bread per day to lose weight, but some bread here and there won't kill you Smile

I agree, Whole grain bread especially is part of a balanced diet. I never found that in moderation it causes any weight issues. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:16 am      Reply with quote
Isnt it about the amount of calories your body needs for the day.How you make up those calories is up to you. Its a simple equation Eat too many calories gain weight, eat too few you loose weight.Bread, pasta ,cereals are all important carbs for energy unless you have any intolerences I really cant see a problem.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
Thoughtful wrote:
Isnt it about the amount of calories your body needs for the day.How you make up those calories is up to you. Its a simple equation Eat too many calories gain weight, eat too few you loose weight.Bread, pasta ,cereals are all important carbs for energy unless you have any intolerences I really cant see a problem.

I guess it depends also on how your body feels when eating certain foods.

I do eat carbs (and love them!) but I know I have to be careful. If I go overboard then my body starts quickly craving carbs like crazy and if left to my own "desires" I woud probably substitute lots of my veggies for carbs which wouldn't be good. So I need to make sure I don't eat too many so I don't get "hooked" on them (this is esp. true for simple carbs). Also when I incrase my carb intake I start feeling a little "heavy" or something... I don't know how to describe it.
I guess our bodies react differently to different foods so in the end we all try to select more or less what to eat based on our bodies' reactions.

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
gretchen was likely referring to the blood type diet. My friend is a type O and avoids wheat, gluten, etc. She is considered a "meat eater" by her naturopathic and TCM practitioner.

Many alternative medicine schools of thought recommend limited use of wheat and certain other grain based products. Other less conventional grains such as quinoa are more recommended.

Our American diet pyramid is more mainstream in that it advocates the eating of large amounts of wheat and grain (which is why most of us accept this as the right way to go).
Once you become familiar with other nutritional thought processes they start to make sense and our western model is subject to scrutiny.

Fortunately - our Dietary guidelines for Americans have more focus on whole grains than enriched, fortified bread which had been accepted in the past. In that respect it has improved. And for the record I do love a well made whole grain bread though I try to go for sprouted grains if the option is there.
All Carbs are not created equal.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:02 am      Reply with quote
I think it depends on the person. Simple carbs are bad for me. A new Italian study just highlighted at ivillage shows that women who ate the most simple carbs had the most heart disease.

There are now many companies making bread with flax, pumpkin seeds etc. Look for at least 3gm fiber per slice and you are likely fine. The typical "whole wheat" bread in stores has 1gm fiber plus sugar so is not good.

I eat a low simple carb diet. I lost about 40 pounds and that was 7 years ago. Sometimes I creep up 5-10 pounds but eliminating simple carbs brings me back down.
nsachs

Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:50 am      Reply with quote
Sure you can eat bread if you are willing to spend countless hours in the gym burning it off. And like past reviews said, its not even worth what it does to the body in the long run.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
Wheat is a total weight gain food. I had two slices of pizza at the mall yesterday and my legs look F A T. The wheat causes water retention & signals the body to store it as fat. HOWEVER, Very Happy , the really great news is that it is carb season according to my favorite book Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, Survival by T.S. Wiley. Her theory is seasonal based eating based on physiological evolution going back tens of thousands of years. There is less food available (or should be, not in industrialized countries like the States) in the winter therefore carb and overall food intake should be lower along with longer sleep hours and earlier bedtimes. In the summer this reverses. Read the book to get it; it's hard to explain but makes total sense. I tried the theory out last summer and totally THRIVED on having carbs (pizza, Coke, ice cream, wheat based sandwiches, chips-- all foods I normally avoid) all summer, did not gain that much noticeable weight (OK I gained some) and felt good. I did not have wheat at every meal and did not have that many corn chips or servings of ice cream, just more than what I would allow the rest of the year. Have your wheat and enjoy it now, because the third week in September you'll have to give it up.

But nooooo wheat is not a weight loss food.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 29, 2010 3:12 am      Reply with quote
Just try and eat real fresh bread,not the crappy 'american sliced" wonerbread crap...
Thatis the grossest bread everrrrr...

or at least to me as I grew up eating bread from the bakery made without preservaives or anything artificial.

Right now I get items from 3 different bakeries as theyhave different styles of bread.

Usedto go to a portugese bakery and they told me they use not sugar at all in their breads.
It is too far for me to go often.

I live near a Jewish/Kosher bakery and they make everything without artificial stuff.
Theyhave egg bread,rye bread,other stuff

lastly Igoto a small Vietnamese bakery where everything is made from scratch and they use nopreservatives in anything.

They sell day old bread for $2 and fresh bread for $3 around.
They also make their own bread crisps too, they use the old bread and dry it in the oven to make "melba toast" type stuff.

The only probblem with fresh bread is it has no preservatives and is onlygood 2 or 3 days atmost, unless it is frozen...
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
I've been in China now for the past month and I can't get over the fact that the typical Chinese diet is an absolute simple-carb fest--lots of wheat noodles and dumplings here in Beijing--and lots of white rice in the South. But almost everyone here is slim, slim, slim!

I say almost everyone, because there is starting to be a problem with weight gain and diabetes, but it isn't seen with those who eat the traditional Chinese rice and noodle diet but instead with those who have added lots of Western sweets--especially sweetened drinks--and fast foods. Interestingly, the fatter people also tend to eat less rice than normal weight Chinese, for what that is worth. (Here in Beijing, it seems that almost everyone eats out all the time--small families and tiny kitchens plus an abundance of restaurant and street food options means not much home cooking.)

Personally I still try to eat complex carbs at home, but here in China it's almost impossible to do that.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
gretchen wrote:
Wheat is a total weight gain food. I had two slices of pizza at the mall yesterday and my legs look F A T. The wheat causes water retention & signals the body to store it as fat. HOWEVER, Very Happy , the really great news is that it is carb season according to my favorite book Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, Survival by T.S. Wiley. Her theory is seasonal based eating based on physiological evolution going back tens of thousands of years. There is less food available (or should be, not in industrialized countries like the States) in the winter therefore carb and overall food intake should be lower along with longer sleep hours and earlier bedtimes. In the summer this reverses. Read the book to get it; it's hard to explain but makes total sense. I tried the theory out last summer and totally THRIVED on having carbs (pizza, Coke, ice cream, wheat based sandwiches, chips-- all foods I normally avoid) all summer, did not gain that much noticeable weight (OK I gained some) and felt good. I did not have wheat at every meal and did not have that many corn chips or servings of ice cream, just more than what I would allow the rest of the year. Have your wheat and enjoy it now, because the third week in September you'll have to give it up.

But nooooo wheat is not a weight loss food.

I thought it was usually the salt in pizza that makes people look "fat" so quickly from water retention?

And long tern could it be the yeast in the dough?

I eat tons of bread (the people at the bakery know me,lol).
And have never gained tons of weight from eating baguette,rolls and buns almost every day.
I even used to work beside a restaurant that made their own baguette and I'd buy a soup every day (it was a homemade soup and so yummy),and the owner of the place would give me a huge bag of the baked bread they made Smile

I am also a type O and have never gained a ton of weight from bread,but do not eat artificial breads with preservatives.

I do walk a lot.
I find for me anyways, if I eat too much crappy candy, random fried stuff from weeks on end I gain a bit of weight.

I think if you eat more natural things you should gain less weight.
Eating a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables is also good too.

I also made a resolution this year to not buy any packages of cookies and only individual cookies at the bakery.
seems to be helping a bit.

If wheat was also a "weight gain food" the way I eat bread and carbs I'd be like elephant sized.
But I'll add I'm 5"5 and usually weight between 130-135 lbs at most (normal weight for me is 60-63kg).

I do not et much meat though-only fish,chicken,shrimp,hate beef and pork, and only eat preservative free smoked meats (they are locally made).
I think the preservatives in everything can not be that good for most people.
So I try and avoid those if I can.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
Ezekiel bread is a great whole grain sprouted bread that Jillian Michaels always raved about. I love it. Fewer calories per slice but a tasty and chewy texture. I allow myself one slice per day either with eggs or as a snack, toasted with peanut or almond butter and sometimes dark chocolate melted on top. Sort of Do it yourself Nutella. Very healthful, satisfying and filling.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:14 am      Reply with quote
Well guys, you can eat whatever you want. I wouldn't eliminate any of the food groups, just cut back and everything in moderation.

Wholegrain bread is very good for you. Eat lots of fibre foods; I think this is the secret to losing any extra weight you may have.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
Wheat bread is BAD NEWS for anyone with Blood Type O, PERIOD. It WILL cause weight gain. I have had a lot of pizza with wheat crust this summer which will mean serious dieting in the next 6 weeks or so... if I ever plan to put my skinny jeans on again.
margarett
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
I used to be skinny, not slim, skinny, but when I hit menopause, boom! and since then I cannot indulge on things I like same way I did before Sad
So age, genes and hormonal changes play a major role.
SandraD4880
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
I have type O positive and always eat wheat products. No weight gain here. I don't think you can single out a blood type and make an assumption like that. Even when I eat crappy (like PMS time) I don't really gain. I usually gain 5-10 lbs every winter due to sedentary lifestyle and less fruit/veg more cupcakes, cookies and chocolate. Wheat products have nothing to do with it, I eat them throughout the year.

To be honest, I couldn't care less about gaining a measly 5-10 lbs every winter. It's worth it for all my indulgences!

Wheat is not the devil, for me at least.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:32 am      Reply with quote
I am type O and eat bread and am thin. I count my calories. If I stay under 2000 and exercise I can pretty much eat anything I want. However, I am trying to eat for health now and try to concentrate on Superfoods to get more "bang for the buck." I am a sugar addict and it's so easy to go overboard. It takes self-discipline. There is no magic bullet when it comes to weight loss.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:11 am      Reply with quote
SandraD4880 wrote:
I have type O positive and always eat wheat products. No weight gain here. I don't think you can single out a blood type and make an assumption like that. Even when I eat crappy (like PMS time) I don't really gain. I usually gain 5-10 lbs every winter due to sedentary lifestyle and less fruit/veg more cupcakes, cookies and chocolate. Wheat products have nothing to do with it, I eat them throughout the year.

To be honest, I couldn't care less about gaining a measly 5-10 lbs every winter. It's worth it for all my indulgences!

Wheat is not the devil, for me at least.
I have to agree. So many single out and blame certain foods as a cause for weight gain. As for eating right for your blood type, who thought of that? If you eat junk and too much of it, yeah you will gain weight over time. Its always best to eat fresh, except fresh bread. Fresh bread is hard to digest. Day old is better here too.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:25 am      Reply with quote
I'm another type O and at 5-2 1/2 I weighed 93 lbs. and I ate. I was never a big meat eater but loved my fruits and veggies. I just don't buy the blood type diet. Bread isn't the enemy any more than greens let's say, it's the type and can we say portion control?
I also agree that our metabolism slows with age and menopause does change things as well. I do find that I don't have the desire to eat anywhere near the amount of food I could wolf down at a much younger age. I think a well rounded HEALTHY diet and smaller portions, moderation is key. Smile JMHO

Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:23 am      Reply with quote
Eating bread and losing weight can go together if done right.White bread, Sourdough bread, Pumpernickel bread,Wheat bread. We need to decide on the type of bread we will eat. They are very high in nutrition...
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
Woah! Let me start this with I haven't eaten much bread in the last years. I lived in London for the last few years and very very rarley had bread (if I did it was dark German bread I made myself - I cannot stand white "wobble" bread). I just moved to the US and have considerably upped my bread intake. About 2 slices a day of pretty decent quality American bread, usually flaxseed bread from Whole Foods.
Now, I am very slim. It is very hard for me to gain weight, and I am usually a size 0.
So, since it has gotten a bit colder recently, I wanted to switch from flowy summer dresses to jeans this morning.
Shock
They did not fit.
I stepped on the scale and I have gained 12 lbs! In 2 months! I have not changed anything at all in my diet except that I eat more bread.
I don't know my blood type, and I agree with Dark Moon that nothing is bad as long as it is in moderation, but holy cow!
MarciaNZ
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:05 am      Reply with quote
I have started eating wholegrain spelt bread. Its dairy free and gluten free. Its yummy as toast

Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |