Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Low-dose oral isotretinoin (i.e. Accutane) for photoaging?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
I have only been doing this course for a week but my skin care is the same. I am using some Aquaphor on my nose, but it has been dry lately, before even the accutane.
When I did the low doses before I did not change anything either. My skin was just clear and the pores were smaller.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
Can you use topical retin a or is that a no-no?
Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
I wouldn't, but i can't use it anyway. Crying or Very sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
For those of you who are currently taking the low-doses of isotretinoin, I have a question for you:

*What is your current skin care routine? I'm just curious as to what products (or lack of) that you're using during this regimen.

Thanks!!

I've been using Obagi without the tretinoin (Retin-A) for the last... 2 weeks? Also, I don't use the exfoderm every day... I used it every 2-3 days.

I also use aquaphor for my lips.

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
Josee,
If you don't mind my asking, what Obagi products are you using with the isotretinoin?

I'm just trying to guage this in case I try this protocol. Since it has been 20+ years since I took Accutane, I cannot recall what type of skincare regimen I had!!

Thanks, all!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Josee,
If you don't mind my asking, what Obagi products are you using with the isotretinoin?

I'm just trying to guage this in case I try this protocol. Since it has been 20+ years since I took Accutane, I cannot recall what type of skincare regimen I had!!

Thanks, all!

At the beginning I used Cetaphil cleanser and base Glaxal cream or any other moisturizer I could find that had no major actives. That was it.

I recently switched to Obagi NuDerm. I use the Obagi NuDerm gentle cleanser, toner, clear (4% HQ) and sometimes exfoderm.

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
snowymtn
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 12:16 am      Reply with quote
A question for all of you on the low dose regimen, are you completely abstaining from alcohol?

I'm tempted to try this but would truly miss my weekend wine, although if I knew the results would be no more acne then I would give it up!

Just wondering. I knew full strength users have to have liver enzymes monitored etc, and were advised not to drink...

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 12:27 am      Reply with quote
snowymtn wrote:
A question for all of you on the low dose regimen, are you completely abstaining from alcohol?

I'm tempted to try this but would truly miss my weekend wine, although if I knew the results would be no more acne then I would give it up!

Just wondering. I knew full strength users have to have liver enzymes monitored etc, and were advised not to drink...

I don't drink alcohol at all, regardless of the accutane Smile

I do get my blood work done even if I'm the low dose though.

AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:35 am      Reply with quote
I will say that after almost a month on the 10 mg every other day, I am loving my skin again. Thank you for this thread and reminding me of something that I should have thought of or remembered.
My hyperplasia's have almost COMPLETELY disappeared something the lasers have not been able to do. But best of all, so have my pores! I have still the fine wrinkles there that are better, but the orange peel look exaggerated the look and texture. I still have enough left for another month so I may have to order more to go the full 3 months.
Thanks so much!!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:42 am      Reply with quote
AnnieR:

Thanks for the update and I'm glad it's working for you. I would be interested to know how you fare after the 3 months if you stop the Accutane and whether the SH recur.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Me too! I hope it does not revert back too soon!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:55 am      Reply with quote
I took two courses of Accutane in the late 80s, really regret it, have lived with long term negative side effects ever since (hair loss, depression, mild joint pain) and believe it may have prematurely aged me throwing me in to perimenopause early. I have recently read that Accutane is in fact a chemotherapy drug not originally intended to be used for skin.
http://www.chemocare.com/bio/accutane.asp

I have read that it is pro aging, not anti aging.
http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/accutane/T9QJ8DO1TLI41VBPN

It is aging because it downregulates telomeres thus shortening the life of cells, ultimately killing them. It also disrupts DNA. Accutane is a dangerous toxic drug and should not be used cavalierly for "anti aging" purposes.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:09 am      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
I wouldn't, but i can't use it anyway. Crying or Very sad

Annie, can you explain why your skin can't tolerate Retin-A and yet does well on Accutane?

Sebaceous Hyperplasia is my main bug-bear - so I'm very interested in hearing your experiences with this.

OR, Josee, can you explain this for me?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:21 am      Reply with quote
I have never been able to get past the red/peeling/breakout stage on Retin-A and I have tried it on and off every year for about 15 years. It also causes broken caps for me that my derm says is from the retin-A in some areas.
I can't say why my skin tolerates the accutane but I am so happy with it. Because it is so low-dose, there aren't the side effects of the mega doses. I have gone back to see my derm and showed him my skin since I have started and to monitor my blood/liver and he was amazed by the pore difference. He saw no reason not to continue and is looking into it himself. It has also stopped the breakouts on my chest, hairline and I don't have the extreme hair "greasies" I would have the next day on my hair. I can go 2-3 days now, which is great.
I do have a glass of wine now and then, but I am not an extreme drinker and I am monitoring my blood level.
Gretchen, I understand your concerns and they are valid, I also took a HUGE megadose in the early eighties as well and it was nearly fatal. The amount and frequency on this short-term cycle is not enough to cause any concern for me this time around. I am under a doctor's care, even though he initially didn't endorse it.
I would not have even considered it if it hadn't been for the cystic acne that had been returning. They have had me on and off antibiotics for 3 years now, which is a vicious cycle of its own. In one week, the painful cysts have stopped and I am no longer on any type of antibiotics.
It is something to be aware of and I am the first to warn (and I have many time before on this forum) of the dangers of accutane.
Keliu- I love what it has done for the sebaceous hyperplasia. It has done what several lasers sessions could not, plus no scarring! I was told they are over-active oil glands so they are shrunk along with the pores.
I would say approach this with caution and doctors supervision but I am happy with the results so far.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
Keliu- I love what it has done for the sebaceous hyperplasia. It has done what several lasers sessions could not, plus no scarring! I was told they are over-active oil glands so they are shrunk along with the pores.
I would say approach this with caution and doctors supervision but I am happy with the results so far.

That is so great! As you know, I've tried everything for my SH too - and nothing works. That's also interesting about your hair too - I also have very greasy hair. But what will happen when you stop taking the Accutane - won't you just go back to producing too much oil again?

Does anyone have an opinion on taking a Vitamin A supplement? Would you be able to take one whilst using Retin-A?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
This is the warning on the Vitamin A supplement:

The recommended adult daily amount of vitamin A from all sources is 2 500 IU.

Josee - would I be able to take this whilst using Retin-A?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:27 am      Reply with quote
I know that after I stop, it will slowly revert back. I just hope it takes awhile!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Re those having long-term mental health issues after (much higher) courses of Accutane than those discussed in this thread.

I'm tempted to think that it's perhaps those who are prone to depression genetically, similar to those who smoke cannabis which leads to schizophrenic episodes?

Just a thought. I know I'm wary of taking it myself as both sides of my family have long histories of instability. But I'm hoping a very low dose won't affect me either way. Obviously if I feel the black clouds descend I'll stop right away.

This is not meant to offend, I've had my own issues with panic attacks, insomnia, anxiety, depression, even agoraphobia in the past.

I'm planning on ordering Roaccutane for anti-aging purposes (probably 10mg every other day too for a 3 month course) once I lay off the peels for a good few months.

And, AnnieR, I hear you about Retin-A. It must be about 2 years or so I've been using it and my skin never seems to acclimatise, buffering it and using a microfibre cloth is the only thing which makes it bearable.

As asked earlier, I'd assume while on Roaccutane I'd have to stop the Retin-A usage?

Louise,45,UK.Sunscreen Face/Body L/Term!OCM(Castor/Carrier Oil,Vaculift),MUAC 12.5%,18% TCA,Working Up To SkinObsession 25% TCA/Jessner's.Ageless,Dr Roller,Retin-A 0.05% & 0.1%,AAging Lightstim,CP Serum,Dermawand,Vaculift Face 2 Body 2,Pretika Sonic Brush.Microfibre Cloth.Tua Viso(Broken Sad),Palovia (Started 7 April 2011!).
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:56 am      Reply with quote
The higher doses and the correlation between the drug and depression are scary. I never experienced that at all when I was on the mega doses back then nor anytime in between.
But on the subject of the retin-a use, it would seem they are basically the same thing ( a vit. A derivative), but one topical and one internal, correct? If your skin can tolerate it, it seems if you got off you would have to acclimate all over again. But taking the roaccutane can make your skin peel sometimes, especially at a higher dose.
I am still doing the 10mg every other day, just started back on again. I ran out so I skipped a month. My skin basically stayed the same.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:15 am      Reply with quote
Annie,
Are you still happy with your results thus far?
I would love to have the skin I had (back in my 20's) when I was taking Accutane for cystic acne. Not only was my complexion much nicer but the skin on my entire body was greatly improved!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
ljk wrote:

As asked earlier, I'd assume while on Roaccutane I'd have to stop the Retin-A usage?

When my kids were on Accutane recently, they were advised to NOT use Retin A. It's TOO much Vitamin A for your system.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Yes, my skin has been better than it has in a long time and I have stopped the low-dose anitbiotics, which I HATED taking! The pores are tight again and the cysts that had been popping up, along the the rosacea pimples are gone. Now if the fine lines would disappear!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
Yes, my skin has been better than it has in a long time and I have stopped the low-dose anitbiotics, which I HATED taking! The pores are tight again and the cysts that had been popping up, along the the rosacea pimples are gone. Now if the fine lines would disappear!

Sounds like you're having some positive results! Have you noticed any changes with freckling/hyperpigmentation or any tightening of the skin? Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:46 am      Reply with quote
No, as that part wasn't my main problem. My skin has tightened and the pores have shrunk, which lessened the orange peel effect. It has also completely taken care of my sebaceus hyperplasia, which was my main concern, as I had about 10-15 of them in various sizes.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
AnnieR wrote:

Sounds like you're having some positive results! Have you noticed any changes with freckling/hyperpigmentation or any tightening of the skin? Thanks!

Now that is what I want to know to...if it worked, I'd be on it in a heartbeat!

Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:45 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |