Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

6 Tips To Get the Most From Your Beauty Products
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
I'm sure a lot of you already know this information. I thought this may be helpful to skincare newbies!

6 Tips To Get the Most From Your Beauty Products

By Leslie Baumann, M.D. - Posted on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, 1:33 am PDT

# 1. Always apply your retinoid at night, never in the morning. When exposed to sunlight, retinol is inactivated.

# 2. Never leave the lid off a product that contains vitamin C. When dissolved in water - as it usually is when added to cosmetic products - vitamin C reacts with the air and loses its antioxidant and collagen promoting properties. When this happens, vitamin C can damage your skin's proteins and DNA by promoting the formation of free radicals. Only buy vitamin C products that have been formulated with proper stabilization methods, such as La Roche Posay Active C and SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic.

* 3. Don't leave your sunscreen in the car. Heat degrades SPF ingredients, leaving you vulnerable to burns.

* 4. Do not mix glycolic or salicylic acid with hydroquinone, retinol or vitamin C. Acid breaks down these ingredients and renders them useless.

* 5. Dandruff shampoos and hydroquinone stop working as the body gets used to them and increases enzyme production to overcome the action of the ingredients (the medical term for this is "tachyphylaxis"). To keep this from happening, take one-month holiday every three to four months.

* 6. Never leave cosmetic products in the shower, as moisture can cause bacteria to grow. Instead, store products in a cool, dark place.

Wishing you great skin!

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/skintype/15894/6-tips-to-get-the-most-from-your-beauty-products/;_ylt=AmQ6EY6DbKn80ypV9jbjhiXd1IZ4
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
These are some awesome reminders...thank for sharing!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

I didn't know the one about leaving your sunscreen in your car. I better tell my BF. He has had the same bottle of sunscreen for a year and it's been in his car. I told him it's not good anymore. He claims it still works! Then he told me maybe it's a placebo effect! HA! He better a new bottle! Smile
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
SkinCareJunkie wrote:
bethany wrote:

I didn't know the one about leaving your sunscreen in your car. I better tell my BF. He has had the same bottle of sunscreen for a year and it's been in his car. I told him it's not good anymore. He claims it still works! Then he told me maybe it's a placebo effect! HA! He better a new bottle! Smile

Most sunscreens have an expiration date somewhere on the bottle...sometimes they are almost hidden at the bottom on the crimp of the tube. I would definitely check!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
SkinCareJunkie wrote:

* 4. Do not mix glycolic or salicylic acid with hydroquinone, retinol or vitamin C. Acid breaks down these ingredients and renders them useless.

Now that's interesting. The Obagi Nu-Derm system uses glycolic simultaneously with HQ. I wonder if Obagi knows of this issue or if they have otherwise done something to otherwise prevent neutralization.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
its_kristy wrote:
SkinCareJunkie wrote:

Now that's interesting. The Obagi Nu-Derm system uses glycolic simultaneously with HQ. I wonder if Obagi knows of this issue or if they have otherwise done something to otherwise prevent neutralization.

I think there is some controversy over that statement, and definitely differing view points. (Murad has a new Radiance Serum that includes both C and glycolic acid, as well as other products that combine some of those ingredients.)
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
I am thinking the statement may be more geared towards mixing products containing the ingredients on your own, after all the cosmetic companies that produce those mentioned do have cosmetic chemists that we trust (mostly) to know what they are doing when they formulate products to work in synergy? Question Idea Question Idea

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
awesome。Thanks for sharing!
gloria777
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
i think most sunscreens are only good for 6 months!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
gloria777 wrote:
i think most sunscreens are only good for 6 months!

That depends on when you buy them...you want to buy them somewhere with high turnover so that you don't get old products that have been sitting around.

Most I have bought have had at least a year (or more) available when I bought them, but I am in sunny FL at the beach where we through a LOT of sunscreen!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
I am thinking the statement may be more geared towards mixing products containing the ingredients on your own, after all the cosmetic companies that produce those mentioned do have cosmetic chemists that we trust (mostly) to know what they are doing when they formulate products to work in synergy? Question Idea Question Idea

I would agree with that. You can't combine retinol (RAL) and glycolic acid (GA) on your own, BUT if they are FORMULATED together in a lab as a RALGA complex, it lessens the irritation and they don't break down.

But I think that is also part of why Dr. Yarosh of Remergent/Estee Lauder recommended alternating 6 weeks of AHA/BHA products with 6 weeks of Retinol or Retin-A.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:28 am      Reply with quote
Cheers for the tips! I wasn't aware of any of them, but it's good to know.
Amy Lu
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:16 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your share Razz
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:10 am      Reply with quote
SkinCareJunkie wrote:

* 5. Dandruff shampoos and hydroquinone stop working as the body gets used to them and increases enzyme production to overcome the action of the ingredients (the medical term for this is "tachyphylaxis"). To keep this from happening, take one-month holiday every three to four months.

Anyone on Obagi maintenance--do you do this and if not, how much of a diminished effect have you noticed?
gilvig

Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:49 am      Reply with quote
Great info--thanks!
Do people have a preference between La Roche Posay Active C and Skinceuticals C E Ferulic?
I know the skinceuticals product is more money, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's better.
Thoughts?
Thank you!
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:53 am      Reply with quote
wow, definitely worth bringing this one back. Great post by SkinCareJunkie! I wasn't clear about hydroquinone not working after time and have been dotting it on for about 6 months now.

"Then he told me maybe it's a placebo effect!" <--- for sunscreen! Laughing

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:06 am      Reply with quote
Skinceuticals - I know it's expensive....

A less expensive alternative that I liked is Cellbone's C serum (they have several to choose from).

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:38 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
its_kristy wrote:
SkinCareJunkie wrote:

I think there is some controversy over that statement, and definitely differing view points. (Murad has a new Radiance Serum that includes both C and glycolic acid, as well as other products that combine some of those ingredients.)

My mom used a HQ/Glycolic/Vitamin C/Kojic Acid all together in one serum to successfully get rid of her arm discolorations, so the bleaching agents couldn't possibly be useless if it worked, and they were pretty stubborn patches of discolorations.
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:33 am      Reply with quote
SkinCareJunkie wrote:

* 3. Don't leave your sunscreen in the car. Heat degrades SPF ingredients, leaving you vulnerable to burns.

I'm so glad you posted this, I was about to relegate my obagi spf35 to the glove compartment for emergencies. I also find that if there's a time I feel it is necessary to reapply ss, it's while I'm in the car (that glasshouse effect thing starts kicking in), I thought it would be a perfect solution.

There's a few things you mentioned that I wasn't aware of, thank you for the useful and informative post SkinCareJunkie
MentorAmy05
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:39 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing this. Good information to know. Only now, I have to go home and check my KH Apricot along with the products I am using over this, due to the glycolic acid Smile

Dry - Combo Skin - added Retin A to my pm skincare regime on March 20, 2015---I have used Rosehip and coconut oil-daily-for over a year and this significally reduced my scarring and evened my skin tone
queenielau718
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
also we should keep all products that with high concentration of Vitamin C (>10%) in dark b/c Vitamin C is photosensitive.
Margaritis
5% products discount

Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:09 am      Reply with quote
Nice post! Thanks for sharing! Smile
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:22 am      Reply with quote
I thought to add: Apply products to warm damp skin, as it helps them to absorb.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |