Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Mini Review - Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection SPF 60 PA+++
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
This is a mini review because I just used a sample from Sephora.

But my oh my! Am I impressed with this sunscreen!!

Yes, yes, yes!!

I loved how it just soaked in to my skin. No white cast residue. No oiliness.

The best part was I was out in the sun for 3 hours, and my face did not redden. So looks like the sunscreen did a good job protecting my face.

Oh, and it did not sting my eyes either, even though I applied it pretty close to my lash lines.

So this is on my next sunscreen purchase list once I am done with my current bottles. Note "bottles" in plural! I would have bought the shiseido if I don't already have 2 bottles of sunscreen to finish first. Embarassed

For ingredients, I could have sworn I saw a really high % of zinc oxide listed on the bottle when I was in the store, but when I looked it up online, I could not find zinc oxide on the ingredient list at all. What's up with that? Are there two formulas out there?

Here's what I found online:

3.3 oz:
Water, Cyclomethicone, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polybutylene Glycol/PPG-9/1 Copolymer, Dimethicone Copolyol, Dextrin Palmitate, Xylitol, Methyl Gluceth-10, Glutathione, Zinc Myristate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Thiotaurine, Scutellaria Baicalensis Extract, Ectoin, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Acrylates/Dimethicone Copolymer, Aluminum Hydroxide, Isostearic Acid, Stearic Acid Disteardimonium Hectorite, Silica, Alcohol, Trisodium EDTA, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Fragrance, Titanium Dioxide.
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
Went back to Sephora and looked at the bottle of the Shiseido SPF 60. Yes, it got 16.3% zinc oxide listed as active ingredients.

I continue to be impressed by this sunscreen. It's very light and absorbs well. The fact that it doesn't sting my eyes even though I put it up close to the lash lines is a huge bonus. No shiny or oily is also a big plus. My skin looks bright and I get compliments on it.
sucencen
5% products discount

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
SPF 60,is that too much for daily use?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
sucencen wrote:
SPF 60,is that too much for daily use?

The first SPF 70 sunscreen went on the market this year. SPF (Sun Protection Factor) is a multiplication factor you can use to determine how long you can stay out in the sun before getting a sunburn. If you normally can stay out 10 minutes before burning, a sunscreen with an SPF of 2 will let you stay out twice as long, or 20 minutes, before feeling the burn. An SPF of 70 will let you stay out 70 times longer than if you had no protection (or 700 minutes in this example, which would be over 11 hours or a full day).

http://chemistry.about.com/b/2007/08/13/how-sunscreen-spf-is-measured.htm

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
I have read a lot in the media recently of people becoming deficient in Vitamin D (the vitamin you get from the sun) apparently because people are so used to wearing sunscreen every day and covering up with a hat/sunglasses etc, it has become a bit of a problem. Saying that though, I will continue to use my 30+ sunscreen daily for anti-aging benefits. I'm, just not sure what a 60+ sunscreen would be needed for?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
Nelly4 wrote:
I have read a lot in the media recently of people becoming deficient in Vitamin D (the vitamin you get from the sun) apparently because people are so used to wearing sunscreen every day and covering up with a hat/sunglasses etc, it has become a bit of a problem. Saying that though, I will continue to use my 30+ sunscreen daily for anti-aging benefits. I'm, just not sure what a 60+ sunscreen would be needed for?

Yes a little sun exposure gives you the needed vitamin D and there are always supplements. Living in a subtropical climate with over 360 days with sunshine the higher the protection the better for me. I guess it depends on your circumstances how high an SPF you will choose. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:13 am      Reply with quote
Nelly4 wrote:

Living in FL, a high SPF is a requirement...I burn though a SPF 30 in no time. However, I do not wear sunscreen when I am in the house because I do believe some sun is good, though I am going to start back up on Heliocare on a daily basis.

As far as Vit D, who says sun exposure has to be on your FACE? Why not let the less obvious and less wrinkle prone areas be the places where you absorb your sun? And less sun exposure is NOT the only reason that people are Vit D deficient these days...I really wish people would be become better informed before repeating such statements.

Please read this article on Vit D and ALL the reasons that we are deficient, including the drastic changes in Modern Man's diet over time.

http://www.westonaprice.org/The-Miracle-of-Vitamin-D.html

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:46 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

Yes a little sun exposure gives you the needed vitamin D and there are always supplements. Living in a subtropical climate with over 360 days with sunshine the higher the protection the better for me. I guess it depends on your circumstances how high an SPF you will choose. Smile

I live in an equatorial climate with sun all year round and I still have low-ish levels of vit D even with 800 IU cholecalciferol supplement. I will have to up the supplementation.
jimstark51
5% products discount

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:01 am      Reply with quote
I think some sun is good for you, and actually I believe it gives a healthy does of vitamin d. Anything over spf 45 seems to be a waste in my eyes.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:20 am      Reply with quote
jimstark51 wrote:
I think some sun is good for you, and actually I believe it gives a healthy does of vitamin d. Anything over spf 45 seems to be a waste in my eyes.

On my face the higher the better, I have hyperpigmentation on my arms to show how little sun it takes to cause issues. I have been bad about using any ss on my arms, yet just driving, riding as a passenger, walking to the end of the driveway for the last 8+ years and you can see a huge difference from exposed skin and where my T shirt sleeves cover, I haven't sat and baked in the sun for over 36 years so this is all caused by casual exposure!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:29 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting the article Bethany, I don't eat farm raised fish if it says Atlantic Salmon it's farm raised BTW. I do eat a lot of Alaskan Wild salmon and some liver I actually like it but too much is really bad for cholesterol levels! That's why I also choose to supplement with a combo of Vitamin D, Calcium, Magnesium and phosphorous. Smile I know I get sun exposure without trying down here.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
Natalyn, thank you for starting this thread about the SPF60 formula. I have been a big fan of Shiseido SPF55 Lotion, and have been hesitant to try the SPF60. On some other skin boards, people are saying that it doesn't dry matte like SPF55 did, and that it broke them out. I know you've only been using it for a few days, but are you finding any of that happening? Also, does the SPF60 have the same scent as SPF55? I can't stand regular sunscreen scent and I liked the scent of SPF55.
Amarise
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that many people are Vitamin D deficient even without using sunscreen and the like. Even if you happen to live in a fairly sunny place in California like me. There are many cases of people who have a sensitive skin condition that does not allow them to be in the sunlight without protection.

If someone is really concerned, I would actually suggest to anyone to have their Vitamin D levels checked. And if you don't mind taking supplements, take one in Vitamin D after testing your levels. Even though I try to aim to use vegan products as much as I can, I prefer to take D3, which is Cholecalciferol. If you monitor it afterwards, overtime you can actually see your level going up while taking a supplement.

The comment about getting sun exposure somewhere besides the face is smart advice as well.
Nelly4
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:11 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Nelly4 wrote:

Living in FL, a high SPF is a requirement...I burn though a SPF 30 in no time. However, I do not wear sunscreen when I am in the house because I do believe some sun is good, though I am going to start back up on Heliocare on a daily basis.

As far as Vit D, who says sun exposure has to be on your FACE? Why not let the less obvious and less wrinkle prone areas be the places where you absorb your sun? And less sun exposure is NOT the only reason that people are Vit D deficient these days...I really wish people would be become better informed before repeating such statements.

Please read this article on Vit D and ALL the reasons that we are deficient, including the drastic changes in Modern Man's diet over time.

http://www.westonaprice.org/The-Miracle-of-Vitamin-D.html

Sorry if I offended anyone but I was just summarising what I have heard in the media recently - see link attached. Its not the actual article that appeared in our papers in Australia (in fact it is American) but the information was very similar to this.

http://www.privatemdlabs.com/news/Vitamin_D_Deficiency-Diagnosis_and_Treatment_/Doctors-say-vitamin-D-deficiency-is-on-the-rise$19747367.php
Skitahoe
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
Natalyn,

This Shiseido sunscreen SPF 60+++ sounds like answered prayers.

You're sure it's not oily? Any breakouts?

I will have to go to Sephora.

Fingers crossed that it's a good sunscreen.

Bethany, do you find Heliocare useful? I freckle too easily, unfortunately. I just got a bottle of Heliocare that came in the mail. How many do you take? I was taking Sunpill. Would it be a good idea to take both or how would you do that? I know, the cost!
shaoershi
5% products discount

Sat May 01, 2010 1:17 am      Reply with quote
This is my HG!!! I used to use the one especially made for FACE ONLY, which is more cream-like. When I have to repurchase, they were out of it so I tried the lotion-like one for face AND body and I actually like it better since it spread easier and is not greasy at all. Either way, this is one of the best sunscreens!
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 01, 2010 4:44 am      Reply with quote
I think vitamin D is an under-rated vitamin. It seems to have so many health benefits. And so many poeple would be found to be having low levels if they actually did blood tests. Not only does it benefit bones, but it also helps to protect against cancers. We are now so obsessed with sunscreen and sun protection that we forget to take measures against vitamin D deficiency.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 11, 2010 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
This thread got OT. I would love to hear from anyone who has tried the new formula Shiseido SPF60 Lotion.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 11, 2010 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
marci65 wrote:
This thread got OT. I would love to hear from anyone who has tried the new formula Shiseido SPF60 Lotion.

Bump Me Too! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 12, 2010 11:49 am      Reply with quote
Marci and Skitahoe

Sorry I just saw your posts.

I did not find it oily and it did not break me out at all.

The SS absorbed very quicly. It feels matte to me. No shininess whatsoever.

If you have a sephora near you, you should go and try it out for sure if you can. I think you'd love it.

If I don't have other 2 SS bottles to finish first, I will buy this one for sure. It is on my next SS purchase list. Very Happy

Marci, I never tried the SPF55 one, but if it's like the SPF60 one, I have no doubt why you're a big fan.

Like I said, I love to go for a 60-minute walk around a big block at lunch, so I need strong sun protection. I only used it on my face though. I let the rest of my body (the parts uncovered by clothes) soak in the sun. I neglect to apply SS on my body, a bad habit I know. I'm hoping my body won't get spots like my face. I guess if it starts to show spots, I'll be putting on SS on my body, too, but not the Shiseido SPF60 since that's expensive.

I am not sure what the concern is about SPF60 being too much. I think the more SPF is the better for my face. I don't want any more wrinkles or spots.
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 12, 2010 11:51 am      Reply with quote
shaoershi wrote:
This is my HG!!! I used to use the one especially made for FACE ONLY, which is more cream-like. When I have to repurchase, they were out of it so I tried the lotion-like one for face AND body and I actually like it better since it spread easier and is not greasy at all. Either way, this is one of the best sunscreens!

Glad to hear you like it, too! Very Happy How long have you been using it?
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 12, 2010 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Natalyn. I am going to see about getting a sample of this! I hope it works as well for me as SPF55 Lotion
fongflyer5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 8:33 am      Reply with quote
I also have tried the Shiseido Ultimate sun protection lotion SPF 60+++ with zinc oxide 16.3%. It's a great physical sunscreen, the texture is very light and milky, if any thing a bit runny, so a little goes a long way. It doesn't leave a white cast like a lot of other zinc oxide sun screen.
caboodle
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
Is the zinc micronized in these Shisheido sunscreens?

Also, can anyone who's tried various formulations of them tell me which one has the least fragrance?

Does Sephora have sample packets of these?
rhea
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:07 am      Reply with quote
Was too small for me, a great amount of sunscreen, just only 50ML, therefore, it is expensive.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |