Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

:: Review :: Jurlique Herbal Recovery Gel
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:34 am      Reply with quote
I thought I'd finally write a few words about this as I seem to keep coming back to it. Just the other day I went shopping and I was looking to use up my Myer (Aus dept store) gift vouchers. I went browsing through the skincare and perfume section (where else would I go!!??) but nothing really grabbed me. One thing I was sure of was that I was feeling very selfish that day and the gift vouchers had to be spent on me me me! I finally gravitated towards the Jurlique counter - and what a good move that was! I briefly toyed with the idea of getting the rose shower gel (which is heavenly!) and stocking up on the rose silk dust - but then my eyes landed on the Herbal Recovery Gel... I've used the Herbal Recovery Gel before and the recent samples I have tried have brought back some good memories. So, I decided that I would pay the $16 extra and get a bottle of it instead. I'm glad I did - especially with summer coming.

As you know, Jurlique makes natural products and this gel is based on a herbal extract mixture from a number of plants and herbs. The ingredients list actually sounds quite impressive (and you don't need a chemistry degree to understand what's on there Smile). It contains some good antioxidants, like for example Grape Seed and Green Tea; it also has rose which is used in skincare for sensitive skin; and it's packed with other good natural ingredients like Evening Primerose, Jojoba, Echinacea, vit E, Rose Hip etc The ingredient list also mentions Ascorbic Acid (vit C) although it's towards the end of the list. I'm not quite sure how effective the vit C in this is or what the concentration would be...

The product comes in a 30mL white glass bottle with a pump. The gel itself is whiteish and smells gorgeous. The strongest smell I detect in it is rose I think. Having said that, if you are not happy with fragrance in your skincare then this may not be for you. It does NOT actually have any added fragrance though, the fragrance comes from the natural ingredients that make up the gel.

I find that this is actually more of a serum for me rather than a moisturiser. This is simply because, unless it's the middle of summer, I don't find this moisturising enough (I have normal to combo skin). Now, this is a bit odd as I have not heard many other people comment to the same effect - so I could be one of the rare exceptions here. Anyway, this is, as you'd expect, very light and does not leave your face looking shiny - in fact it's quite matte. I think it would be good for someone with oily skin who is looking for just a bit of moisture, or people with normal to combo skins who live in hot/humid climates. Of course, this would be good for just about anyone (unless you're allergic to any of the ingredients of course!) as a serum or as a moisture boost over their current moisturiser. The bottom line is that this feels nice and soothing and makes my face really nice and soft to the touch. I can also use this around the eye area so it doubles as an eye serum too.

I have had a look at the MUA reviews and they seem to be mixed. Some people think this is the best thing since sliced bread and that it makes their skin glow and some say that it hasn't worked for them at all. I'm not quite sure which one you are going to be if you end up trying this but it's definitely worth at least getting a sample of!

Jurlique doesn't post their full ingredient list on their website so I thought I'd post it here. However, being late (and being lazy!) I decided that I would just take a photo of the ingredient list instead Embarassed

*sigh* Ok, I'm editing this because it would seem that the photo only comes up when it feels like it. Here goes:

Water, Herbal Extract Mixture from: Rosa gallica (Rose), Chamomillia recutita (Matricaria), Calendula officinalis, Glycyrrhiza glabra (Licorice), Sambucus nigra (Black Elder), Bellis perennis (Daisy), Viola odorata, Althaea officinalis (Marshmallow), Spilanthes acmella, Echinacea purpurea, Camelia sinensis (Green Tea), Vitis vinifera (Grape Seed), Curcuma longa (Turmeric), Glycerin, Alcohol, Oenothera biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Xanthan Gum, Rosa canina (Rose Hip) Fruit Oil, Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Glyceryl Cocoate, Aloe barbadensis Leaf Extract, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Hydroxymethylglycinate, Lactic Acid, Citrus grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Rosa centifolia (Rose) Flower Oil, Chamomilla recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil.

Phew! That was a long list!
lamicuz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:44 am      Reply with quote
mabsy,
i completely agree w. you on the herbal recovery. i too have normal/combo skin (which tends towards dehydration at times), but this stuff is great during the summer on it's own (with sunscreen overtop, of course), or under moisturizer when it's a bit drier.

the floral scent is quite strong, but isn't offensive and disappears quickly once it's on. i bought the larger pump bottle (100ml) quite a while ago...a little goes a long way.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy, how much is it?

I love seeing ingredients that dont have a billion parabens and glycols in them!
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks to this wonderful forum I have discovered Jurlique. Smile The Herbal Recovery Gel is awesome! I now use this about every other night along with the Day Care Face Cream (Retina A Micro on other nights). The 2 Jurlique products really leave my skin well moisturized (I'm pretty dry in the winter). I love the fact that is has lots of antioxidants and it is "natural". I could go on and on and on, but I'll stop. Razz Thank you all for giving such wonderul tips and YEAH to you Mabsy for spending the certificate on you!
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hmm, I am surprised to see alcohol in the ingredients list for a natural product. Anyone with really sensitive skin tried this product?
Miss Shoes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
I LOVE JURLIQUE

They make the best products ever. I discovered them last year after reading reviews of Hollywood stars using these natural products.

All spring & summer I used the Jurlique recovery gel at night and my skin looks great, so healthy and rosey. Now that it is winter I do put a layer of the day lotion over top of it at night. My skin is so happy.

The products area little pricey but you really get what you pay for!!!!!!
Mabsy

Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:27 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim - $66 for 30ml in Australia
mtview - you'll see alcohol in quite a few natural skincare lines as it is used in order to make the extract from the flowers/herbs. I doubt that there would be a lot of it in the recovery gel. Also, I remember someone once posting that the alcohol used in the extraction process is not "normal" alcohol. Sorry, I can't remember the specifics and I can't find the original post.
sab
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:35 am      Reply with quote
Oh I don't like it because the rose fragrance (or the mixture of herbal scent) will keep me awake at nite Laughing It's better to use it in the morning... but i always have difficulty to apply foundation after using any gel product hmm hmm .
Mabsy

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:45 am      Reply with quote
Sab - you must be super sensitive to fragrance! No aromatherapy oils burning for you while you fall asleep Razz Seriously though, I actually wish that the fragrance hung around for a while because it fades really quickly Sad

I have had problems with applying foundation over some moisturisers (cream or gel, and the problem was foundation balling up on my skin) but do not have a problem with the Jurlique. In fact, so far, I can use Jan Marini Bioclear or Alphaderma CE underneath the Recovery Gel, and still be able to put foundation over the top of that without any problems.
vegas gal
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:46 am      Reply with quote
I bought the Herbal Gel (thanks to this forum) and haven't used it enough to say if it does anything for me yet. What I really need to is to stop buying so many different products and try to stick to a program. Always looking for the next best thing I quess Rolling Eyes .
jcw
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
I really wanted to like this product but I couldn't get past the fragrance unfortunately. Too bad it is one of Jurlique's star products and have had good reviews from others.
emma1
5% products discount

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:28 pm      Reply with quote
I have sensitive skin and tried a sample of this product - I really liked it - I haven't got any yet because I've got loads of other stuff waiting to be used up already Embarassed (although, that has never stopped me in the past... Very Happy )

Emma x
marella
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:07 am      Reply with quote
I received a sample of the herbal recovery gel and the day care face cream yesterday when I bought the rose shower gel. Mabsy you are so right, the shower gel has a lovely rose smell and wonderful foam. I've used it about 3 times already and I even used it when I shaved my legs tonight just to prolong the scent sensation. I too seem to be on a rose kick lately. I'm not sure exactly why, but there it is. I am really interested in trying my herbal recovery gel sample now after seeing this review. I don't know if it will be moisturizing enough for me or not. My skin tends to be fairly normal to a bit dry in this climate, but it does have some combo moments sometimes so I just have to try new products I'm not certain about to have a clue how they will work out. The air where I live only goes from dry to drier so the change in seasons isn't a lot of help, but we'll see. Jurlique isn't a really common product here, but I find that I am kind of getting into it and have liked so far the couple of things that I have tried.

A lady came out while I was standing discussing products when I went to buy who had just had the Jurlique facial and her face looked AMAZING. She said she had been using Jurlique for 15 years. Heck, I only heard about it a couple of months ago. But her look was a definite incentive to me to try more of the line out and see how it works for me.
Mabsy

Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:29 am      Reply with quote
I'm really glad you like the rose shower gel! And, of course, I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say about the recovery gel.

Btw, if you are on a rose kick then you should try the rose silk dust as well. It's a translucent face powder - smells lovely and keeps the oilies at bay (quite effectively!).

I have not had a Jurlique facial but have heard people commenting that their face glows after one. I must eventually get one but I keep hearing about all the crap customer service at the Australian Jurlique salons and so far the stories have been enough to keep me away...
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:50 am      Reply with quote
Damn you all! Mad ....I'm gonna have to try this stuff! where to fit it in though?
Very Happy

5% products discount

Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
heheh i used to work in jurlique in david jones (another australia dept store) and i have used nearly every single product of jurlique Very Happy shower gel, handcream, calendular cream, cleansing gel and lotion, herbal recovery gel, rosewater, silkdust, lipbalm, sensitivity range etc...

i find that the recovery gel doesnt really work on me... my skin is combination and it is not hydrating enough.. and as mabsy said i have some problem putting foundation on afterwards.. the only products i still keep using are rose water ( i will give it 2 thumbs up very calming and it soothes my redness and any irritation.. and also calender cream.. when my face is acting funny i will use that and it is good for calming and healing..
ceasar salad
5% products discount

Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
i have used jurlique's masks too.. but hmmm.. sadly i have to say they are not particularly special... Crying or Very sad
nelly.4
5% products discount

Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hi

I would have to agree with ceasar salad here. I too have tried a lot of the Jurlique products and wasn't really happy with the Herbal Recovery Gel - It just felt a bit sticky on my skin.

I am a big fan of the Rose Mist and use it every morning and night and my skin feels really fresh afterwards.
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:11 am      Reply with quote
Jurlique Herbal Recovery Gel sounds like it might have similar effects as St Ives Cucumber & Elastin Eye & Face Stress Gel that I get at the drugstore. Has anyone used both for comparison?

-Cheri
Mabsy

Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:12 am      Reply with quote
Cheri,

I haven't used it but the MUA reviews sound good! I don't think this is available in Australia though Sad We seem to have a very limited St Ives range.
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:20 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy the stress gel is one of the few drugstore items I keep buying over and over. It's especially nice for summer.

-Cheri
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
Just curious....Do we still love this product? I'm thinking of purchasing and its been sitting in my cart for the last couple of days!

TIA!
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
Still love it. I always have a place for HRJ in my routine. No matter its winter or summer...

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
Love it, it is a wonderful moisturiser. I've repurchased the big bottle so I won't be without it.
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
Ahh..its a moisturizer? I thought it was more of a treatment Confused

Okay - so my skin is combo - dry and slightly sensitive. Would you recommend this? I'm still trying to decide if I need this...its $87!
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:44 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |