Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Other effective DIY ingredients
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 06, 2010 2:18 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I was just wanting to ask what other DIY ingredients you were all using (apart from vits A,C&E) that you were finding effective?

thanks

Jackie xx
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 06, 2010 11:30 am      Reply with quote
I've tried em all, and always come back to these; (Vitamin C is a given!)

- AHA's + BHA's
- Retinyl Palmitate
- Green/White Teas
- Goji Berry Extract
- Pumpkin Seed Extract
- Niacinamide
- Algae Extract
- DMAE (new for me!)
- Oils (macadamia, jojoba, avocado, grapeseed)

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 06, 2010 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
Is pumpkin seed extract the same as pumpkin seed oil?

hmm

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 06, 2010 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
Is pumpkin seed extract the same as pumpkin seed oil?

hmm

Extracts are usually in an alcohol or water and glycerin base. The oils are usually just that processed to extract just the oil, cold pressed is best. I hope that's clear the way I explained it? Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 06, 2010 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
I use an oil blend of Sea buckthorn, baobab, black currant and meadowfoam oils if my skin feels irritated or acne is acting up. It's awesome. Very calming, and seems to make acne starting to emerge disappear.

I bought the oils in an attempt to copy the Fresh Elixir Ancien that is $250.00 per ounce and supposedly loved by Blake Lively on Gossip Girl! Very Happy It gets really good reviews on Sephora.

According to where I purchased them (new directions aromatics) all of the oils have antioxidant, anti-aging properties and have a fairly long shelf life. The baobab oil has been getting a lot of media attention in the past year. The sea buckthorn oil is slightly orangeish, but it kind of looks like a light self tanner when mixed with the other oils.

I highly recommend it!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 07, 2010 2:26 am      Reply with quote
thanks guys!

does anyone use peptides ?

Jackie xx
WIP

Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:55 am      Reply with quote
I just found this forum and am not the best at using them but- here goes. I have found a few of Kassy's formulas and I was wondering Kassy if you would recommend a DIY formula for me. I am 40, fair, have rosacea (was told not to use retinyl), slightly sensitive very dry skin especially below my cheeks, large pores with visible black heads on my nose and chin but no acne. I have the start of crows feet and wrinkles on my forehead and I am fighting the 11 between my eyes.
Kassy I hope this finds you since I read you don't respond to pm unless you are established on this forum.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:47 am      Reply with quote
snowymtn,

What is the baobab oil, and how to you like it? How good is it as a stand alone? Do you think it is worth trying?

Thanks so much! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
snowymtn,

What is the baobab oil, and how to you like it? How good is it as a stand alone? Do you think it is worth trying?

Thanks so much! Smile

http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/soap/product.asp?product_id=oilbaobab

Baobab oil (Mbuyu in Swahili) is derived from the seeds of the baobab tree, a tree that is native to Eastern and Southern Africa. Baobab oil has been part of African skin care for centuries. This rich, golden oil has a slightly nutty smell. It has a high content of vitamins A, D, E and F (essential fatty acids). Baobab oil is said to provide impressive moisturizing benefits to the skin and hair. It absorbs quickly, improves elasticity, encourages regeneration of skin cells and does not clog the pores. It is an excellent ingredient in formulations for eczema and psoriasis. Baobab oil is extremely stable against rancidity. Use in small percentages in creams, lotions, body butters and other skin care formulations.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.africanbotanicals.com/p348/Baobab-Oil-(100ml-bottle)--EcoProducts/product_info.html

Sorry the link won't take you to the page for some reason, just search Baobab Oil on the site if you want more information. Smile

Baobab Oil Properties

What is Baobab Oil made from?
Baobab Oil is made from the seeds of the baobab tree.
The seeds are cold pressed and filtered. Cold pressing ensures that the valuable properties in the oil are not destroyed as could happen in a heated press.

Baobab Oil contains:
Vitamin D.
Palmitic acid, Oleic Acid, Linoleic Acid.
Omega 3, Omega 6 & Omega 9 Fatty Acids.

Why is Baobab Oil good for our skin?
Baobab Oil contains Ω-3 (Omega 3), Ω-6 (Omega 6) and Ω-9 (Omega 9) Fatty Acids.
Omega 3, Omega 6 and Omega 9 Fatty Acids are Essential Fatty Acids which are necessary for the maintenance of healthy skin.
Liquid cold pressed oil from Flaxseed or Baobab are rich sources of Ω-3, Ω-6 and Ω-9 Fatty Acids.

What is an Essential Fatty Acid?
Essential fatty acids are a group of fatty acids which are required by the body. Like vitamins and minerals the body is unable to manufacture them. Thus they must be obtained through diet and by topical application to the skin.
Fatty Acids can be depleted from the skin from over exposure to UV rays, poor health, poor immune systems and natural ageing. Certain drugs, such as steroids, can also deplete the skin layers of natural fats.

How can Essential Fatty Acids help our skin?
Essential Fatty Aids have the following functions in our skin:

They are important for cell membranes: Their molecules (metabolites) are one of the requirement for the structure of cell membranes.

They are important for regulating cell function: They form part of the process of producing postaglandins (a hormone like substance), which helps regulate cell function.

They help 'water-proof' the skin: They help maintain the impermeability barrier of the skin and stop toxic substances from entering cells.
Topical application can help alleviate various skin disorders such as chronic dry skin, thin skin, chronic brusing and sun spots.
It can be used for people suffering from eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, skin cancer, scaly skin disorder and non-healing wounds, such as diabetic ulcers

HOPE THOSE HELP Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:04 am      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
snowymtn,

Thanks so much! Smile

Cm, I really do like baobab. I have used it alone on my face and lips. It's very soothing, not too greasy and absorbs well. There are a few reviews at where I bought it here: http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/baobab-carrier-oil-p-1799.html
It's fairly inexpensive as well. Keep us posted if you give it a try!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:31 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon--Thank you so much! That's so helpful to have information on the constistuents of the oil. Smile

Snowymtn--Thanks so much for sharing how you like baobab oil, and the tactile properties of the oil. Also, thank you for the link to the reviews of the oil--perfect! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
I've tried em all, and always come back to these; (Vitamin C is a given!)

- AHA's + BHA's
- Retinyl Palmitate
- Green/White Teas
- Goji Berry Extract
- Pumpkin Seed Extract
- Niacinamide
- Algae Extract
- DMAE (new for me!)
- Oils (macadamia, jojoba, avocado, grapeseed)

Just bumping this thread because the above actives are definitely worth a repeat (for any DIY'ers out there.) (Only exception is I haven't stuck with the DMAE because I haven't had time to make another batch, so I can't give a big thumbs up.)

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
For you newbies: Kassy is the reigning QUEEN of DIY. She has a strong Science, Medical background and more than a few years of cranking out some truly amazing DIY that many of us have relied upon for years.....

5% products discount

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:38 am      Reply with quote
I'd love your help too kassy.
I've posted on another thread about my acne scars and small skin bumps.
see here: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=38563

Any DIY serum or lotion I should make to go with my (hopefully arriving soon) single needle derma rolling and vitamin-c serum?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
lilpil wrote:
I'd love your help too kassy.
I've posted on another thread about my acne scars and small skin bumps.
see here: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=38563

Any DIY serum or lotion I should make to go with my (hopefully arriving soon) single needle derma rolling and vitamin-c serum?

I'm not a roller girl, so can't tell you definitively what's the bomb, but if I *were* a rollergirl, I'd be using Virgin Palm Oil with oil soluble Vitamin C mixed into it. That will cover you for vitamins A, C + E.

You should be prepping your skin for (I believe) about 6 or 8 weeks prior to your roll.

Hope you read all the fabulous threads on the subject!

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
For you newbies: Kassy is the reigning QUEEN of DIY. She has a strong Science, Medical background and more than a few years of cranking out some truly amazing DIY that many of us have relied upon for years.....

Image I'm speechless!

And laughing my *arse* off... Laughing

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Nice to see you back on the boards K.... It's been more than a tad quiet on the DIY front without ya to juice things up.
There's the "usual" copy, paste google stuff we can all do but nothing original.

5% products discount

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:48 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy - thank you so much for your advice.
I've also read CPs are great for scaring, what are your views between using CPs and vitamin c or would you advice using both on alternating days?

Another question. I thought vitamin c was only soluble in water or alcohol, where would I find the oil soluble version?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
lilpil wrote:
Kassy - thank you so much for your advice.
I've also read CPs are great for scaring, what are your views between using CPs and vitamin c or would you advice using both on alternating days?

Another question. I thought vitamin c was only soluble in water or alcohol, where would I find the oil soluble version?

Since I'm not a roller girl, and also haven't had luck with CP's, I don't feel qualified to give you 1st hand advice. I have read a lot on both subjects though because I find them very interesting, so what I have suggessted to you is based on only that knowledge. I would really encourage you to check out both the CP + dermarolling threads, because many of the members here are way more qualified than I to help you find the perfect regime.

With that said, I would still encourage you to check out the oil soluble vitamin C that you will no doubt want to incorporate into your treatment regime;

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/tetrahexyldecyl-ascorbate-BV-OSC.html

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Nice to see you back on the boards K.... It's been more than a tad quiet on the DIY front without ya to juice things up.

It's too bad folks are so hesitant to share their DIY recipes anymore... Sad

Can't say I blame them though after they saw me being raked over the coals time and time again by the same 3 or 4 members... Laughing

The real shame is all the really good stuff is now behind closed doors (so to speak.) Much more peaceful to be sure... Wink

System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |