Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Retin A under eyes
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
packratmack
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 11, 2010 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, I have been using 0.025% Retin A Cream on my face for over a year. I always avoided the eye area. The past three weeks I decided to apply under my eyes. I only apply it very lightly. I use what is left over on my fingers after applying it to my face. The area under my eyes has become more crepey looking with a few more lines. I just have a few questions. Is it safe to apply Retin A under the eyes? Will my eyes eventually acclimate to the Retin A? Will the crepiness and extra lines eventually be reduced? Thanks for any advice.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 11, 2010 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Patrackmack,
Yes, you can use retin a under your eye area and everything you're seeing right now is normal: lines, crepiness, etc. I know it doesn't look pretty right now, but your eye area will acclimate to the retin a.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 11, 2010 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
I second what Kims had to say. Right on!

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 11, 2010 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there - just my two cents .... You can put an emu oil underneath to shield the area from the direct retin-a *hit* before application and then build up to Retin a alone when the skin acclimates.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 11, 2010 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Hi Patrackmack,
Yes, you can use retin a under your eye area and everything you're seeing right now is normal: lines, crepiness, etc. I know it doesn't look pretty right now, but your eye area will acclimate to the retin a.

Agree. You can put an eye cream or an oil on top of your Retin A to less that crepy look you are getting. Wait 30-60 minutes after applying RA and then put your eye cream or oil on.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 12, 2010 5:36 am      Reply with quote
Hi Smile

Yes, it is safe to use Retin-A under the eye area.
This is just the beginning of a long journey.
First your skin will tend to look "old and wrinkly" but eventually in the next 3 weeks, it will improve dramatically. Be patient. You will be glad that you did.

packratmack wrote:
Hi everyone, I have been using 0.025% Retin A Cream on my face for over a year. I always avoided the eye area. The past three weeks I decided to apply under my eyes. I only apply it very lightly. I use what is left over on my fingers after applying it to my face. The area under my eyes has become more crepey looking with a few more lines. I just have a few questions. Is it safe to apply Retin A under the eyes? Will my eyes eventually acclimate to the Retin A? Will the crepiness and extra lines eventually be reduced? Thanks for any advice.
packratmack
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 12, 2010 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for your responses everyone! The people on this forum are always so gracious. The help I receive here has put my mind at ease many times.
rhea
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 13, 2010 5:44 am      Reply with quote
Look forward to your good news. I always wanted to try to retinol
gossamerwings
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 13, 2010 6:05 am      Reply with quote
Piggy backing here- is the crepiness less with micro? I used .05% regular for a year and anytime I accidentally put it under my eyes the skin became very tight and crepey. So I didn't. But, I have noticed less flakiness with the micro .1% and decided to try it under my eyes and this morning- no tightness or crepey lines.

Huh?

Is it the micro, or the fact I bought the retin-a from an overseas pharmacy- maybe its not as strong (its the same pharmacy we all use).
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 13, 2010 6:09 am      Reply with quote
gossamerwings wrote:
Piggy backing here- is the crepiness less with micro? I used .05% regular for a year and anytime I accidentally put it under my eyes the skin became very tight and crepey. So I didn't. But, I have noticed less flakiness with the micro .1% and decided to try it under my eyes and this morning- no tightness or crepey lines.

Huh?

Is it the micro, or the fact I bought the retin-a from an overseas pharmacy- maybe its not as strong (its the same pharmacy we all use).

It is probably the micro. What strength are you on? It is slowly released over time, so you are just getting a small dose over time.
gossamerwings
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 13, 2010 6:24 am      Reply with quote
.1%

Is it really that much better? My skin definitely reacted more to the .05%. Is that the common response when switching to the micro?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 13, 2010 7:34 am      Reply with quote
gossamerwings wrote:
.1%

Is it really that much better? My skin definitely reacted more to the .05%. Is that the common response when switching to the micro?

It can be a normal reaction. People respond differently to all things. If you are doing well with it under your eyes, keep using it there!
packratmack
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Well, here I am again with an update. After two years of using Retin A under my eyes, they don't look any better, I stuck it out like many suggested. They actually look a bit worse than when I started. I remember reading someone stating emphatically on this forum that Retin A should not be used under your eyes or on your neck due to the thin skin there. I don't remember if she got this information from a dermatologist or medical studies. Regardless, I am starting to agree with her. I will continue to use it on the rest of my face. Any opinions welcomed.
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
packratmack wrote:
Well, here I am again with an update. After two years of using Retin A under my eyes, they don't look any better, I stuck it out like many suggested. They actually look a bit worse than when I started. I remember reading someone stating emphatically on this forum that Retin A should not be used under your eyes or on your neck due to the thin skin there. I don't remember if she got this information from a dermatologist or medical studies. Regardless, I am starting to agree with her. I will continue to use it on the rest of my face. Any opinions welcomed.

I have benefited from using Retin A Micro under my eyes. Not sure if the formulation makes a difference. I do sometimes get a little bit of crepiness under my eyes but I use a hydrating eye cream in the morning and that seems to take care of it. I don't apply it right up to my under eye, I keep it at the orbital bone and let it migrate up. It has worked well for me. My eyes will never look as good as I would like but I did get an improvement from using the Retin A.
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
Yes I do the same as jom, just apply around the orbital bone and where you would norlmally get crows feet. I actually mix the tinsiest tiniest bit with my eye cream rather than puttinbg it directly. That way it buffers the concentration even more.
Im so sorry it hasnt worked for you under your eyes.
packratmack
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:33 pm      Reply with quote
I also apply it along the orbital bone. Maybe, I will just use it a few days a week. Buffering it is also a good idea. As you can tell, I just don't want to quit using it.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using it lightly...I think it is a slow go and does work.but works sooo slow that you think it isn't! haha.
verity000
5% products discount

Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:40 am      Reply with quote
I've been using renova 0.025 under my eyes (as well as the rest of my face) for nearly six months now and haven't noticed any improvements. In fact it seems to look worse, not in a dehydrated way but the skin has gotten more loose and wrinkled. I'm really unhappy with this area so was hoping that Renova would be my saviour!

I'm beginning to wonder if I should be continuing with it and if I'm just making this area worse since the skin is sooo thin there. It's so hard to know whether it's the cream or just naturally how my skin would've aged over the last six months anyway. I know people say to give it at least a year but I expected to notice something by now. I guess everyone's different.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:24 am      Reply with quote
As I've mentioned in other Retin-A threads I mix a touch of Retin-A with a touch of my eye cream (Osmosis Refresh PM) and this works wonders. There's no way I can put straight Retin-A anywhere near my eyes as it just shreds them... Wink
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:28 am      Reply with quote
It's hit or miss when it comes to retin-a under the eye area. The first 3 or 4 months of using retin-a I applied up to the orbital bone, then started applying everywhere (even upper lids) nightly. I actually had improvement with my eye area and still use it all over to this day with no adverse reactions. Of course, I am down to using it 3 or 4 nights a week.
I think this is yet another case of "we are all different" on how we react to products. I've heard some real horror stories with retin under eyes along with glowing reviews.

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:00 am      Reply with quote
I use eye creams with retinol in them. I think they have helped a little. Unfortunately, I think surgery might be the best solution. I'm considering it but am hoping some miracle cream or serum will come along first.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:10 am      Reply with quote
I live in Southeast Wisconsin and there is a plastic surgeon in this area (considered the best one around these parts) that does a procedure called a lower skin pinch under the eye area. Lower blephs are pretty expensive, as we all know, and his lower skin pinch is around $1500. What he does is make an inscision along the lower lash line and removes excess skin...then sews back up again. It works perfect for those that have a bit of slacking, crosshatching, baggyness etc...
My sister had this done and is very happy with the results. I too am considering having this done.

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
bren21 wrote:
I live in Southeast Wisconsin and there is a plastic surgeon in this area (considered the best one around these parts) that does a procedure called a lower skin pinch under the eye area. Lower blephs are pretty expensive, as we all know, and his lower skin pinch is around $1500. What he does is make an inscision along the lower lash line and removes excess skin...then sews back up again. It works perfect for those that have a bit of slacking, crosshatching, baggyness etc...
My sister had this done and is very happy with the results. I too am considering having this done.

wow..that is interesting...and a good price. If you think of all the products..time and botox...1500 upfront to just solve the problem sounds great.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |