Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Help!! Horrible carbs craving!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 11, 2010 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
I'm spending these next few weeks with my parents, my brothers and sisters, their kids.

I've been a pretty good eater my whole life except for a period were I was a crazy carb addicted person. I was always very skinny but I gained quite a bit of weight after getting married and then thank God I lost it again.

But now... I'm at my parents.... which is junkland! There's all kinds of junk food, cookies, chips... you name it. And... it hasn't been easy.... in the past 3 days I ate a whole box of oreos!! My carb cravings are out of control!

So... I need help! I'll take any advice, any drugs, anything!!!!

Please please please tell me what works for you... I don't know how I'm going to survive the next weeks!!

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 11, 2010 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
Just Say No!
snowymtn
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 11, 2010 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hi!

Drinking whey protein drinks always helps me w/carb cravings! I like the Designer Whey brand (GNC has it)because there is no blender needed, it mixes well.

If you must indulge try to combine the carbs with a protein, and stick with the whole grain carbs!

PS.. popcorn is a whole grain! (maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that Very Happy )

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 11, 2010 10:14 pm      Reply with quote
Josee wrote:
I'm spending these next few weeks with my parents, my brothers and sisters, their kids.

Please please please tell me what works for you... I don't know how I'm going to survive the next weeks!!

OMG, than sounds like HELL!

Do NOT give in, because you know that eating carbs results in even MORE carb cravings!!!

I also heard that drinking apple cider vinegar in water immediately kills cravings, but that might be because it tastes so bad! Very Happy

Here is something I found online from a supplement standpoint:

Quote:
Honey, I shrunk the carbs: these 13 supplements can make low-carb dieting easier and more effective

Chromium Picolinate

Hot news: At a National Institutes of Health conference in June, one study showed that chromium picolinate supplementation significantly reduced carbohydrate cravings in patients with atypical depression. (These patients have severe carb cravings, so imagine what it'll do for you.) Researchers believe chromium's essential role in insulin function may be the link to carbohydrate cravings. That's because insulin's effects on metabolic function may impact levels of serotonin, a brain chemical that makes you feel good and is released when you eat carbohydrates.

* Take 200 micrograms of chromium picolinate with breakfast each day.

Gymnema Sylvestre

Jonesin' for sugar? Gymnema sylvestre is known in India as gurmar ("destroyer of sugar") because consuming it causes a loss of sweet taste. This isn't just folklore: Several studies have documented the herb's ability to suppress the desire for sweets. Another benefit? It increases insulin release, making it an ideal post-workout supplement that boosts muscle growth in the absence of carbs.

* About 250-500 milligrams 1-3 times a day will knock out your sweet tooth, but be sure to take one of those doses after a workout for the anabolic effect.

5-HTP

When carb cravings come on strong in the evening, reach for 5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP). This modified amino acid forms serotonin and melatonin in the body, so it will curb your carb cravings and relax you before bed. Clinical studies back up its power to reduce food intake--particularly high-carb foods--in overweight subjects.

* Take 50-100 milligrams about 1-2 hours before bed.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ioHAF9UWNWAJ:findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0801/is_11_65/ai_n6249374/+carb+cravings+supplements&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 11, 2010 10:37 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Josee wrote:

OMG, than sounds like HELL!

Do NOT give in, because you know that eating carbs results in even MORE carb cravings!!!

I also heard that drinking apple cider vinegar in water immediately kills cravings, but that might be because it tastes so bad! Very Happy

Here is something I found online from a supplement standpoint:

Thanks bethany, I'm going to buy some supplements tomorrow and hope that something works, either through a real effect or placebo! At this point I don't care!

I don't believe in "banning" anything from diets (though I'm a vegetarian going on vegan Laughing) but sadly as soon as I start eating cookies, chips... I get out of control. So in my case I really need to stay away from sweets, cookies, candy, etc. I admire people that can have cookies in their house and just eat one every other day or something... I can't Sad

The worst part is that I'm used to eating healthy so I actually feel sick from the food I've been eating (oreos and cheetos! Embarassed ) but the cravings are so big that I don't learn my lesson so the next day I eat them again Sad It makes me feel bloated, with low energy and still... I do it again and again!

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 11, 2010 10:41 pm      Reply with quote
snowymtn wrote:
Hi!

Drinking whey protein drinks always helps me w/carb cravings! I like the Designer Whey brand (GNC has it)because there is no blender needed, it mixes well.

If you must indulge try to combine the carbs with a protein, and stick with the whole grain carbs!

PS.. popcorn is a whole grain! (maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that Very Happy )

Yes I've been thinking about the popcorn... I have an air popper so that should be a healthy snack I can eat while everyone's munching chips!

SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 12, 2010 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
snowymtn wrote:
Hi!

I second this idea. Whey Protein has helped me out a lot!

Also I think eating a piece of fruit helps!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 12, 2010 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
Josee wrote:

You poor thing. I can relate, as my experience when visiting my family, is almost exactly what you have described. No doubt you'll have to do a little food shopping of your own, so you have some healthy + enjoyable alternatives to the 'junk'... Very Happy

Maybe these tips will help;

http://www.stjohns.com/healthypeople/072004/carbcravings.aspx

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
margarett
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 12, 2010 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
Unsweetened cranberry juice

YW
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 13, 2010 6:41 am      Reply with quote
I'm happy to report that yesterday was a good day with no junk food or sweets!

I stocked up on veggies for snacks (I love to eat just plain peppers), I made food so I won't have to cook for a couple of days, and I kept myself busy.

I went to buy some of the recommended supplements but they didn't have them... I'm going to go to a bigger mall today and see what they have Smile

On another (unrelated note), my sister lives in the meat capital of the country Smile So it's much harder to find vegetarian options than where I live, and it also seems harder to find organic-natural grocery stores. Even in regular grocery stores, the available variety of organic produce is so low that I had to buy just regular veggies to make my chili! Still, spending time with the family.... = priceless!
Smile

bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 13, 2010 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
Josee, it sounds like you'll make it just fine. I bet feeling yucky as a result of deviating from your regular diet may actually be enough to keep you on track!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 20, 2010 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
This is unorthodox advice but go ahead and have the carbs, within reason! The summer time is "carb friendly" season according to a theory I read in a book called Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, Survival, by T.S. Wiley:
http://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-Sleep-Sugar-Survival/dp/0671038680
Sycamore
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 12:59 am      Reply with quote
Eating Blackstrap Molasses keeps me away from cookies and pasta. No more craving, I do not kno hy, though. Just 2 tablespoonful

Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:33 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |