Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Bulletproof sunscreen?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 9:30 am      Reply with quote
I had been having some success combining sunscreens to avoid sunburning during snowboarding... but not anymore!!

Last weekend it was really hot and sunny and even though I put layers after layers of sunscreen (I used Avene 50 SPF that has Zinc Oxide 5.88% and Titanium Dioxide 16.11%) I still got sunburned Sad

It was crazy because even though I was sweating nonstop I would try to put a bandana (esp. when going down) to try to minimize the sun exposure. Now I'm thinking if by putting the bandana up and down I was rubbing the sunscreen off. But the bandana did not seem to be full of sunscreen... I don't know.

So anyways, I need a sunscreen that will hold up for at least 4 hours (i.e. till lunch break!) and that will really not let me sunburn! I don't care if I look like a monster, if it's greasy, white or pink. I want it to be strong and to stay!

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 9:43 am      Reply with quote
Was the Avene the white tube or the orange tube? The white tube is physical sunscreen only, the orange tube contains tinosorb as well as physical sunblockers. As far as I know, the tinosorb versions are not available in the US or Canada.

I get mine whenever I'm in Europe or Hong Kong. It is also available at frenchcosmeticsforless.com. They order directly from France so the stock is always fresh, and have good customer service.

I'm very lightskinned and burn just from thinking about the sun, so Euro sunscreen is what I swear by. (That, and wide-brimmed hats...}

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 9:47 am      Reply with quote
flitcraft wrote:
Was the Avene the white tube or the orange tube? The white tube is physical sunscreen only, the orange tube contains tinosorb as well as physical sunblockers. As far as I know, the tinosorb versions are not available in the US or Canada.

I get mine whenever I'm in Europe or Hong Kong. It is also available at frenchcosmeticsforless.com. They order directly from France so the stock is always fresh, and have good customer service.

I'm very lightskinned and burn just from thinking about the sun, so Euro sunscreen is what I swear by. (That, and wide-brimmed hats...}

This one was the white tube but I've tried the orange tube in the past and that did not work either Sad

I don't know why I tend to sunburn when I snowboard in spring. I've ran marathons under the sun, sweating like crazy and I've been OK. But I go snowboarding for a day and I end up with a little "red tan". Sad

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
ammoniasmith
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 10:38 am      Reply with quote
Josee wrote:
I don't care if I look like a monster, if it's greasy, white or pink. I want it to be strong and to stay!

Be careful what you wish for! I am going to suggest a UPF sun protection balaclava. They are so very fashionable! HEHE!!

I just bought this one by Glacier Glove Dr. Shade for when I go on motorcycle rides all day.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,74590_Glacier-Glove-Dr-Shade-Sun-Hood-Clava-UPF-50-plus--For-Men-and-Women.html
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
ammoniasmith wrote:
Josee wrote:
I don't care if I look like a monster, if it's greasy, white or pink. I want it to be strong and to stay!

Be careful what you wish for! I am going to suggest a UPF sun protection balaclava. They are so very fashionable! HEHE!!

I just bought this one by Glacier Glove Dr. Shade for when I go on motorcycle rides all day.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,74590_Glacier-Glove-Dr-Shade-Sun-Hood-Clava-UPF-50-plus--For-Men-and-Women.html

That looks good but... won't I get too hot?

Last week I was wearing my helmet, goggles and sort of a bandana to cover the rest of my face. I had to pull the bandana down frequently because I would feel like I was gonna evaporate from the heat!

ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
Josee...

Consider Californa Baby Stick... it's white...$16.00 you will look like a goon... I use it on my kids at the beach... No prob...

Also like Blue Lizard... Again... white...

You are burning on the snow in the spring, probably because the sun is out, and you are also dealing with the reflection off the snow...

This is the same burn you will see at the beach.. and almost as bad as one you can get in an extreme fog... Amazing but true!

It's the worse time of year for burns... and you must be seeing all the "coon eyes" at the resort...

Don't forget under your chin...

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Josee...

Consider Californa Baby Stick... it's white...$16.00 you will look like a goon... I use it on my kids at the beach... No prob...

Also like Blue Lizard... Again... white...

You are burning on the snow in the spring, probably because the sun is out, and you are also dealing with the reflection off the snow...

The reflection always kills me. I actually had to go through 4 pairs of goggles until I found ones that would block the light enough so that I wouldn't get a huge migraine after being all day at the mountain.

I don't know why but it seems the springs are getting hotter and hotter. This is the first spring that I actually get red from snowboarding and also the first spring that I had to snowboard in sort of "track pants" because even my light snow pants were too hot!

Thanks for the suggestions!

ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
What?? No spring skiing in shorts???

Oh... those were the days!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Josee,

I use LRP dermo peds Lait when I ski,it never lets me down.

I usually don't reapply, unless I fall alot or get sprayed by powder.

The thing with skiing is that the altitude increases the UV strength so much! My friend who is a high altitude research MD says anywhere between 8-10 percent increase in strength (UV intensity) for every thousand feet of elevation.

I cringe when I see bad sunburns at the ski resort! And also I've been noticing so many women over 30 on the mountain have crinkly eyes. At least they are having fun though Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
I get burned easily, so I use autsralian Natural Instinct Natural Mineral Sunscreen 30+ I even went skiing several times and had no problems

http://www.epharmacy.com.au/product.asp?id=55153&pname=Natural+Instinct+Mineral+Sunscreen+SPF30%2B+250g

Makeupalley Reviews are here:

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ID=100053/Natural_Instinct_-_Natural_Mineral_Sunblock_Cream_SPF_30/0/Sunscreen/
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
Dr. Lewinn's if you are looking for a physical sunscreen. It is a thick paste and you will look greasy as heck, but it works great. I use that when I do a peel, or am on Obagi.

If you aren't opposed to a chemical, the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch with Helioplex.
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2010 7:56 am      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
What?? No spring skiing in shorts???

Oh... those were the days!

This year I've seen SO many women with shorts and tank tops that were RED as tomatoes! I felt so sorry for them I can't believe they were not realizing that they were getting roasted! I almost wanted to lend them my sunscreen.

On another note, I bit the bullet and I also bought the SPF ski mask that ammoniasmith recommended... hopefully I won't overheat too much!

summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2010 8:15 am      Reply with quote
I believe that you're living in the States.

If so, I suggest Bioderma Photoderm MAX Fluide SPF 50+ (PPD-UVA 3Cool and you can purchase it from here:

http://www.skincarecentral.biz/skincare-sun.html

If you are a diehard fan of physical s/s, you may try Invisible Zinc (IZ) - the 4-hour water resistant one which contains 20% micronized zinc oxide; however, you have to order it from Australia.

ETA: If you want to order IZ, I suggest this online store as the price is lower than that of the IZ website and it ships very fast (I have ordered the Environmental Skin Protector, but I don't like it as I feel it very sticky on my skin).

http://www.ry.com.au/invisible-zinc-c-449.html?zenid=65e01dc6a14e6c2c4e61a0c4aab483b4
fongflyer5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 19, 2010 3:49 am      Reply with quote
I, also use Invisible Zinc from Australia, I like the Environmental Skin Protector and didn't find it sticky. There is also a invisible staying powder that is part of the range to use over the sunscreen which helps "matte" finish the product.

Invisible Zinc is a great physical sunscreen and it does really work!!It will prevent you from getting sunburn. I used it all through the Australian summer and never got burnt or even a tan!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:03 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |