Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Coconut oil question.....???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Tia2010
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using 100% mechanically (expeller)pressed naturally refined organic coconut oil for my hair treatments ( I bought it without really checking the label as to refined or unrefined)

My question is does refined vs unrefined coconut oil make a difference if its only for hair treatments ( and not for cooking etc.)

Is what I'm using Ok for hair treatments or should I go for unrefined?

Thanks
Very Happy
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 17, 2010 11:49 pm      Reply with quote
Tia2010 wrote:
I have been using 100% mechanically (expeller)pressed naturally refined organic coconut oil for my hair treatments ( I bought it without really checking the label as to refined or unrefined)

My question is does refined vs unrefined coconut oil make a difference if its only for hair treatments ( and not for cooking etc.)

Thanks
Very Happy

I would try it and see how it works. However whenever you buy something that is refined it takes away from some of the benefits. I use Nutiva Coconut oil which is undefined.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2010 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
Do a search on-line and read about the difference - it may be meaningless in terms of hair care.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2010 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
Tia2010 wrote:

Thanks
Very Happy

Hopefully this helps. Smile

Anne Mar 14th 2008  
Here are the different descriptions of both refined and unrefined coconut oil as given on the Mountain Rose Herb site.

Karen...I have used coconut oil for cooking, but haven't tried it as a hair conditioner. I'll have to give it a try.

Organic Coconut Oil Profile

Botanical Name- Cocos nucifera
Origin- Philippines
Extraction- Expeller Pressed/Refined
Shelf life- 12-18 months
Kosher Certified- No
Notes- Will melt at 76 degrees and turn to liquid. This particular oil is refined through organic methods involving deodorization, and the removal of color through the use of bleaching clays.
Recommended for cosmetic purposes only, as the Virgin unrefined is a more suitable edible oil.

Virgin Unrefined Coconut Oil Profile (Organic)

Botanical Name- Cocos nucifera
Origin- Philippines
Extraction- Cold Pressed/Unrefined
Shelf life- 2 years
Kosher Certified- Yes
Notes- Will melt at 76 degrees and turn to liquid. This particular oil is "Virgin" unrefined and has a pleasant and enticing coconut aroma. If blended within skin care preparations at a high percentage, it may alter the scent of the final product. Suitable for both food and cosmetic use.
This grade of Coconut oil is the same variety sold in natural food stores.
Method Of Extraction

Fresh, whole coconuts that are sound and ripe are shelled and then pared to remove the brown skin. The white meat is then milled to fine shreds and dried at a temperature of not more
than 100 degrees for an average of 2 hours and
30 minutes. This does not create a completely
dried and useless meat, but rather helps in the
evaporation of excess water which is prevalent
in the meat.

http://www.thebeautybrains.com/vanilla/comments.php?DiscussionID=238
After drying, the milled coconut is passed through a customized, cold process oil press where the oil is separated from the coconut at a controlled temperature of less than 100 degrees. The oil is collected in a receiving pan and pumped through a series of filter cloths, which results in a water clear coconut oil, known commercially as Virgin Coconut Oil.The filtered virgin coconut oil is temporarily stored in a tank and made to pass through a final filter to remove any detritus left over before it is packed into its final drum.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2010 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks all Very Happy

If there isn't a difference in terms of the unrefined being more beneficial to my hair then I may just stick with the refined because it doesn't have a coconut smell like the unrefined does( from what I have read) . I have a wicked hate of really strong scents Mad

Maybe I will buy some unrefined and just mix a tiny amount to get a very faint coconut scent that's not overpowering Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2010 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
Tia2010 wrote:
Thanks all Very Happy

If there isn't a difference in terms of the unrefined being more beneficial to my hair then I may just stick with the refined because it doesn't have a coconut smell like the unrefined does( from what I have read) . I have a wicked hate of really strong scents Mad

Maybe I will buy some unrefined and just mix a tiny amount to get a very faint coconut scent that's not overpowering Smile

You may lose a tiny amount of goodies compared to the unrefined but I hear you on the overpowering scents, your plan sounds like the perfect compromise for you! I love the coconut odor, but we all have those triggers that just can't be ignored. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 20, 2010 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
It is far more beneficial to use the least processed coconut oil that you can find. Go to a local health food store and purchase a nice quality one, and I can be sure that you will notice a difference. I often use coconut oil on my hair and scalp, and its one of the best deep penetrating moisturizing products for damaged hair, or after having your hair coloured. You can also use it on blemished, just spot treat a pimple or on scars. Furthermore, it is one of the best oils to cook with because of the medium chair triglycerides. It is easy for the liver/gall bladder to breakdown, as compared to other oils, and it does not become a trans-fat once heated to a high temperature. The last point I want to make is that it is the only fat/oil that helps the body to break fat down, so it will make you thinner!! Seriously, I have seen this with many people.
On that note, if you decide that you want to also cook with it, than you have some beneficial points as to why..
pinkpaperdoll
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 9:45 am      Reply with quote
I'd go for the unrefined if i'd be asked.. In our country, we are the ones who actually make coconut oils from fresh coconuts.. It can be used for many things. But i, myself, use it for my hair. It is a very good treatment for damaged hair, dry scalp, and all that.. So based on my own exprience, id go for the unrefined ones.. Smile
Tia2010
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 10:28 am      Reply with quote
THANKS Very Happy

I am going to buy some unrefined and see if I can handle the smell . If not I have some friends who can use it for their hair Smile

Does it have a very strong smell or is it a weak aroma ?
rhea
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 22, 2010 11:07 am      Reply with quote
KIEHLS amino acid shampoo that contains coconut oil,If only the hair, you can use this
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 12:42 am      Reply with quote
I used to buy Fractionated coconut and also jojoba oil.
And what was explained tome that it was a way of filtering that removed the solid waxes, so it absorbed better and was not solid at room temp.

I have no idea of if it has more or less? vitamins or whatever or the brand as this was repackaged i n glass bottles by the store w their name and address.
Zelda
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 2:46 am      Reply with quote
do you just put it on dry hair? and then shampoo out?
pinkpaperdoll
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 7:19 am      Reply with quote
since we use our own-processed coconut oil from fresh coconuts, we shampoo our hair after leaving the oil on for about 30mins or so (as long as u can tolerate)..
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 7:58 am      Reply with quote
If you can manage a teeny tiny amt. of Coconut oil, and start at your ends, you can use it as a leave in without looking greasy. Or if you pull it up in a pony tail then that hardly matters.

Otherwise, I often put more in my hair at night, (and I don't worry about my pillowcase, so get one you don't care about oil with)... and wash in the morning. It doesn't smell like coconut after a while...

5% products discount

Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:19 am      Reply with quote
yes, I´m delighted with coconut oil on the ends of my hair now too. If you use just the smallest amount and sortof warm it up in the palms of your hands, then scrunch it lightly into the hair, it doesn´t end up looking greasy at all. And it´s better than all those expensive smoothing or detangling products out there. I´ve started using a half a teaspoon in my smoothies as well hoping to benefit from claims that it strengthens the immune system and has anti-bacterial properties!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:10 am      Reply with quote
Flannery wrote:
yes, I´m delighted with coconut oil on the ends of my hair now too. If you use just the smallest amount and sortof warm it up in the palms of your hands, then scrunch it lightly into the hair, it doesn´t end up looking greasy at all. And it´s better than all those expensive smoothing or detangling products out there. I´ve started using a half a teaspoon in my smoothies as well hoping to benefit from claims that it strengthens the immune system and has anti-bacterial properties!

I use it in my smoothies too, as well as on my skin!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:15 am      Reply with quote
I have been using macadamia nut oil for my hair and almost finished with the bottle.

I was going to buy coconut oil, because some insist that it is better for my hair. I don't care if I smell like coconut, but as long as it can soften my hair, I'm happy. I will have to order some and can't wait!
Cheng
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:56 am      Reply with quote
[quote="rhea"]KIEHLS amino acid shampoo that contains coconut oil,If only the hair, you can use this[/quote]

oh? is it okay for oily hair type?
Icegoddess
5% products discount

Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:37 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Recommended for cosmetic purposes only, as the Virgin unrefined is a more suitable edible oil.

Hmmm, find that interesting. I bought some coconut oil at the grocer awhile back specifically for cooking and it is the refined variety. I ended up not using it much for cooking (maybe I should try again) but I do scrunch some in my curly hair ponytail before going to the gym. I then wash it out when I get back home from the gym.

I understand it is really good to put in your hair about an hour before coloring. Don't wash it out. The hair coloring process will lift the cuticle to push the color into the hair and the coconut oil goes in with it. They say it will not affect the coloring process or the resultant color. I plan to try it next time I color.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
Icegoddess wrote:
Quote:

Hmmm, find that interesting. I bought some coconut oil at the grocer awhile back specifically for cooking and it is the refined variety. I ended up not using it much for cooking (maybe I should try again) but I do scrunch some in my curly hair ponytail before going to the gym. I then wash it out when I get back home from the gym.

I understand it is really good to put in your hair about an hour before coloring. Don't wash it out. The hair coloring process will lift the cuticle to push the color into the hair and the coconut oil goes in with it. They say it will not affect the coloring process or the resultant color. I plan to try it next time I color.

That is good to know! I had no idea that it is great to have on before you colour.
Thanks! Very Happy
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:04 am      Reply with quote
Icegoddess wrote:
Quote:

Next time I go to the salon I will ask!
they seem to know everything there!
salonspasource
5% products discount

Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:38 am      Reply with quote
For only hair treatment, refined or unrefined coconut oil doesn't make any difference. Both work as a same.

BUT, do you have any problem with coconut oil?

I also don't have, but my mum has. When she apply coconut oil in your hair and massage she has dandruff in her head in 2 to 3 days. Sad

DO you know what should be the reason behind it?

Please reply, if you know.
Question

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:28 am      Reply with quote
Many women on the Long Hair Care Forum swear by coconut oil.
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:46 am      Reply with quote
Mine is from trader joe's and it just says virgin organic, nothing about refined or unrefined. I am hoping the virgin means unrefined!

5% products discount

Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Coconut oil has sooo many benefits, and the unrefined is Much better than the refined. You lose many of the benefits with the refined oil, and it dosn't smell as nice. If it does maybe they add some fragrance which is also not great anyway. I think it's great you can use one bottle of oil, put it in your food, on your hair and on your face! A girl i met who has the nicest hair i have seen, it was so shiny and long, she has been using coconut oil in her hair for a long time. I cook my eggs with coconut oil too as its one of the few oils (maybe the only) that dosnt turn into a saturated fat when cooked at high temperature. I also like it in my salad dressings. I know some people swallow 3 tsp a day for health benefits too...
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |