Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I just had a Pearl Laser treatment
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2010 2:24 am      Reply with quote
At the moment I'm Husband Free - so I decided to have some sort of treatment done that, if he knew, he wouldn't approve of! I bought the latest Australian Cosmetic Surgery magazine and searched for something suitable. I was looking at a Plasma Rich Platelet treatment, but because of my HF status decided on something a little more invasive and "instant" - a Pearl Laser treatment.

There are basically two forms of Pearl - one is fractional, one is not. The fractionated laser is more invasive and leaves the skin all bloody, the other is less invasive but it still removes the whole epidermis, but there is no blood - I opted for the latter.

I went for my consultation on Thursday and the nurse was delighted that my skin was already fully prepped - meaning that I had been using Retin-A, Vitamin C and AHA's for ages. She said that this should mean that I'd get a really good result. She also said my skin was in great condition and that I looked like I was in my late 40s.

So today was the day - I was given a Xanax and two Digesic and my face was covered in numbing cream (which was very strong, my lips went completely numb). Drops were also put in my eyes to protect them. The nurse said the treatment was worse than IPL but I didn't find that to be the case. IPL is like a massive shot, the Pearl is more of a rat-a-tat-tat (if that makes any sense). It was really quite bearable and at no point did I feel like freaking out. I think the numbing cream was quite effective, plus she had another nurse blowing cold air on my face the whole time. She did two passes over the whole face.

Afterwards my face was burning dreadfully but I was sat in front of a fan for half an hour and given a cup of green tea and some Turkish Delight! Apparently a sugar hit helps. The burning sensation really calmed down allot and I was then well enough to drive home.

The after-care requires bathing the skin in a solution of vinegar and water and applying a protective mask - either Vaseline or Paw Paw Ointment but she sucked me in to buying Cosmedix Rescue Balm & Mask which cost $120.00 -probably a rip-off.

For the after-care you have to bathe your face in water and vinegar 4-8 times a day (which stings a bit) then apply the balm. My face is now feeling extremely tight and is swollen. I reckon that by tomorrow morning I'll look like a watermelon - but I always swell up really badly with IPL. I also have to sleep sitting up. On Friday I have to go back for a peel which will remove any remaining dead skin.

So all in all the treatment was totally tolerable - I just hope I see a visible difference. The treatment cost $2,000 - which I think is an awful lot. According to my research patients in the US pay around $600 - but in Australia we seem to have to pay premium prices which is very annoying.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2010 5:14 am      Reply with quote
How exciting for you, Keliu. If you do see visible results, I hope you'll post some pictures.
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2010 6:52 am      Reply with quote
K, what made you decide on this type of treatment. What do you want to accomplish here? I can't wait to hear about the results. When will your skin calm down. what is the recovery? Did you take pictures to share the process?

Please tell. Sherry

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2010 9:20 am      Reply with quote
That experience really sounds like my Fraxel. I did swell up too but I am a sweller and brusier for sure.
I can't wait to hear what you think about the results.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2010 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
Basically, I decided on this treatment because it was a one off treatment, not a series and I needed something that I could do in my HF (husband free) window of time. Also, it seemed like a good compromise between a very invasive Fraxel and a milder Genesis laser.

I just hope I achieve a smoother look to my skin - my basic issues are large pores and lumps and bumps (Sebaceous Hyperplasia). The Pearl completely removes the epidermis and also heats the lower layers of the skin in order to stimulate collagen renewal. The doctor said it will deal with fine wrinkles and I might see some skin tightening - but not much.

Actually, I've been pretty happy with my skin lately and I wasn't really planning on getting anything done. However, after having to deal with the passing of my father so soon after my mum, I decided that I needed a pick-me-up. And, of course, having a HF zone I decided now was the perfect time.

Here is an article on the treatment from the UK Daily Mail. I have to say that I didn't find the treatment at all distressing. Today my skin feels very tight and looks like a bad sunburn and my face is still very swollen but no bruising at all.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1021937/Facing-future-The-new-Pearl-laser-claims-turn-clock-skin-So-does-work-risks.html

This is the info on the laser from the clinic that I went to:

http://www.allsaintscosmedical.com.au/page/pearl_laser.html

Annie, I know you weren't impressed with your Fraxel experience but the Pearl laser I had wasn't the fractional laser so it wasn't as invasive. I just feel and look really grotty because of all the balm that is over my face and hair.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2010 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
How exciting, Keliu. I can't wait to hear your updates with this!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2010 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
Ditto on that.

How long will DH be away? Isn't he going to find out? I'd love to know how you pull it off without him knowing. Shock tee hee.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2010 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu, I'm hoping for some awesome results for you!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2010 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Keliu, I'm hoping for some awesome results for you!

Me Too, I am very glad you did something to treat yourself! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2010 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
Here's what I look like today, Day 2:

ImageImage

I'm very, very swollen - but there's really no discomfort (only when I look in the mirror!)

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2010 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
Oh how nice! It is true that melasma and hyper-pigmentation ages our lovely faces, as the information on what you posted says.

Happy healing and looking forward to updates!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2010 9:20 pm      Reply with quote
margarett wrote:
Oh how nice! It is true that melasma and hyper-pigmentation ages our lovely faces, as the information on what you posted says.

Happy healing and looking forward to updates!

All those brown spots and patches have appeared since I had the laser treatment. Just goes to show what's hiding in there!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 18, 2010 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
Yikes...that's exactly what I looked like after Fraxel!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 19, 2010 12:57 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Yikes...that's exactly what I looked like after Fraxel!

Yikes is right! Because I know that you weren't happy with your Fraxel results. Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 19, 2010 1:36 am      Reply with quote
I hope this works out for you Keliu! Does anyone know of a website that explains the different type of lasers? From my understanding there is a co2 laser that is different from the Fraxel, correct?
fongflyer5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 19, 2010 2:41 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for sharing your pearl laser experience with us and posting pictures. It was really interesting and educational. I look forward to seeing how you feel about the final results and if it was what you had hoped for. I'm also from Australia, so I'm interested in the outcome.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 19, 2010 7:19 am      Reply with quote
That pic could have been me, after both of my lasers! Crazy.
I suffer from the same complaints, sebaceous hyperplasia and want to smooth out my skin, tighten and get rid of the fine lines and wrinkles.
What happens for me is the last few times of extreme swelling from IPL's, Fraxel, my face was so swollen, the skin stretched out and caused fine lines and wrinkles that weren't there before. I had no resiliency left. It's hard to recover from that or find a procedure that will fix loose or lax skin without a lift. I have tried the Cool Touch package to tighten and it did nothing. I had to do fillers to plump it back up.
Let me know how the downtime works and if it got you the results you were looking for. If it is like the other lasers though, you can still have results up to a year later.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 19, 2010 9:19 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing this with us Keliu - I too am following your progress and look forward to reading your updates!
Cheers
Zoftig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 19, 2010 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu,

At 60 you had the skin of a 40 year old! When you heal from this and have the skin of a 30 year old.... are you still going to spend time with us? Very Happy

I wish you a very speedy recovery and the skin we all wish we had!!

Jan
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 19, 2010 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu~

I also wish you a quick recovery and I hope you'll be thrilled with the results!
Best wishes!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 19, 2010 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
It's Day 3 and my skin is starting to crack and peel - I can see nice new skin underneath.

I caved last night and washed my hair in the bath - I just couldn't stand the grease ball that was sitting on top of my head. I'm also supposed to be sleeping sitting up. But last night I woke up and decided to dive under the covers, it was just too cold.

The swelling is slightly better this morning so, hopefully, by tomorrow it will be better still. Because tomorrow I'm going back for a peel to get rid of all the peeling skin. Seems very soon to me.

I'm also very confused about all the different types of lasers that are around. The Pearl is not a Co2 laser, whatever that means. And I also had the non-fractionated version. To me it was like having an IPL that makes you peel - except it wasn't as painful as the IPL.

As for my expectations - I do NOT expect to look 10 years younger. I'm also not expecting any tightening. I just hope my skin looks fresher and that I get some benefit down the track in terms of collagen renewal.

The whole process so far has been very tolerable - I just look gross because of the swelling and the greasy gunk all over my face. But at least I haven't got a husband around saying "What the bloody hell did you do that for?"

I'll report back tomorrow after I've had the enzyme peel - I think I can wear makeup after that.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 19, 2010 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
This will be fun following your progress!

I just signed up for Aluma skin tightening. I almost did the ActiveFX, which is a one time treatment of Fraxel (CO2).
I have a class reunion coming up this summer, gotta look good. Smile
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 19, 2010 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu,
This whole process seems to be going rather quickly. It seems like your skin will be ultra-sensitive after the peel. What care are they recommending post-treatment? And, btw, congrats on doing something special for yourself!

Annie,
Interesting point on IPL's causing swelling thus "stretching" our skin creating sag and wrinkles. I hadn't even considered that.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 19, 2010 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Keliu,
This whole process seems to be going rather quickly. It seems like your skin will be ultra-sensitive after the peel. What care are they recommending post-treatment? And, btw, congrats on doing something special for yourself!

Annie,
Interesting point on IPL's causing swelling thus "stretching" our skin creating sag and wrinkles. I hadn't even considered that.

The clinician hasn't discussed aftercare yet, except to say that I can resume using Retin-A in three weeks. I would imagine that the most crucial thing will be to just use sunscreen and avoid sun exposure.

I forgot to mention that last night I applied some CPs and Emu Oil, then put on the balm. Maybe that is why my swelling and raw patches are so much better today.

I've had numerous IPLs in the past and have never considered that they made my wrinkles worse otherwise I would have stopped having them.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 20, 2010 8:29 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I had 2 by the same med/spa that were too aggressive and she did all the way up to under my eyes. At the time, I didn't realize that you were not supposed to. I was new at this and starting out did not know enough about them. I did not have the wrinkles in my lower chin area and i did ask the aesthetician about it and she said my skin must not have been in good shape first, too dehydrated. Then she should not have done them, especially at those settings!
Now I know and have had enough to see the differences in technique and settings.
The last 2-3 I have had, I did not swell, just light bruising and peeling of some red spots. Perfect.
Keliu-Interesting that you are having an enzyme peel to help the peeling, never heard of that.
I hate the greasies too, nothing makes me feel worse.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |