Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Study: Many Sunscreens May Be Accelerating Skin Cancer
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Abbey2
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 7:40 am      Reply with quote
Just an FYI. Thought it was interesting:

http://www.aolnews.com/health/article/study-many-sunscreens-may-be-accelerating-cancer/19488158
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 8:23 am      Reply with quote
Interesting thanks...

I usually pick a sunscreen and other products (especially for my kids) that does not rate higher than a 3 on the EWG site...

Potentially disturbing... I guess I'm starting to take the FDA with a grain of salt now a days... way to many WIDELY used, and highly advertised drugs that turn out to dangerous... and suspiciously, some companies cash cow... NOT GOOD!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 10:50 am      Reply with quote
Eh...I pretty much ignore anything EWG reports on, they have their own agenda.

Consumers do need to become sunscreen savvy and know the ingredients so they will know if they are getting full protection from products though.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
I'm unfamiliar with the agenda of EGW? What do they sell? Who are they affiliated with that might drive sales in a particular direction?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think they are trying to increase anyone's sales. They just put their own spin on everything, true or not.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
What is their spin??

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
What is their spin??

Claudia,
I think just as some think the FDA is intentionally and viciously evil and out to get us, others think that EWG is too alarmist and nix everything. Don't shoot I am just playing devil's advocate here. My opinion (and just that an opinion) the FDA is under funded and over burdened and yes they are far far from perfect. The EWG is exceedingly cautious (not a bad thing) but there isn't much that they don't find fault with. For me that's why I like a few sources at least and then the decisions land in our laps as consumers. Just my take on things. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
ClaudiaFE wrote:
What is their spin??

Claudia,
I think just as some think the FDA is intentionally and viciously evil and out to get us, others think that EWG is too alarmist and nix everything. Don't shoot I am just playing devil's advocate here. My opinion (and just that an opinion) the FDA is under funded and over burdened and yes they are far far from perfect. The EWG is exceedingly cautious (not a bad thing) but there isn't much that they don't find fault with. For me that's why I like a few sources at least and then the decisions land in our laps as consumers. Just my take on things. Smile

Well, I do think EWG lands in the overly cautious... but then I tend to be overly cautious with my, especially, my kids skin. So, I tend to only go with products as there are many that land on their lower end of the scale. And I've noticed that if they find out something new about an ingredient, it will effect the scoring of EVERY product that has it listed... so at least their over cautiousness is across the board...

With the FDA... dang, I'm just getting more and more disgusted as time goes on. I suppose on a grand scheme, they are generally ok. But they have made some MAJOR mistakes, and I do think that $$ talks to individuals... DDT? Have you EVER seen the ads they used to run to show how SAFE it was? People sitting on stadium bleachers supposedly being sprayed in the face and DRENCHED in it. It destroyed so much... And the scientist that really went after it rec'd death threats for doing so. Reading or watching about the Silent Spring written by Rachel Carson is what has had me on alert to the FDA... I find it odd that ONE person could have had the ONLY knowledge and comprehension of the potential disaster or awareness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Spring

And it is perhaps the very fact they ARE underfunded, and NEED funding that some freak-show products get through.

And I guess, PERSONALLY, I'd rather error on the side of caution. (edited to ADD...Yeah, I already said this...) Especially when I'm slathering my kids with something. (or feeding them something) AND if I don't have any sort of knowledge on any of the ingredients. I venture to guess this also comes from watching too many people I know suffer medical problems that aren't just "naturally" occurring. Has to be a result of being exposed to something that someone thinks is OK... and perhaps knowing that the FDA just can't keep up.

But, I'm supposing we should get back on topic, which is, and I had NEVER given it thought before...

But that a retinol does make you photo sensitive, to the best of my knowledge... WHY THE HECK would it be in sunscreen?
Except to delude those knowing it's anti wrinkle capabilities, would be excited to use it... One more ingredient to re consider on my list of purchases for CERTAIN products...

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
Yep Claudia I tend to be the over cautious type I raised 4 kids and was very concerned with what went on and in them and as their incubator and food source for a long time after they were born myself!
I agree it's insane to have retinoids in a sunscreen just like I have seen essential oils that are quite photosensitive in some as well? I don't want to use either!
I am not only old enough to recall DDT and even 30 years ago they sprayed Malathion for Mosquitoes? I recall the cigarette commercials that spewed the health claims of those lovely things! Hard liquor was advertised on TV all the time. Anyway I just wanted to make the point that all our Government agencies are underfunded and understaffed especially in this economy FDA not excepted, and it's a sad state we deal with, but I hate to see what it would be like without any agency at least trying to fumble through it all. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon, would u happen to know what kind of essential oil would cause photosensitivity? I know lemon oil or extract would? What about lavender or cistus oil? Thanks! Smile
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 6:19 am      Reply with quote
I agree the FDA is not perfect either and we as consumers do need to know about ingredients so we can make wise choices. My issue with EGW is that not all of their info is based on actual fact but they act like it is.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 6:26 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
DarkMoon, would u happen to know what kind of essential oil would cause photosensitivity? I know lemon oil or extract would? What about lavender or cistus oil? Thanks! Smile

All citrus are and that includes Bergamot, those are the ones that I know off the top of my head, but I will pull out one of my books and post a list later on. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 9:25 am      Reply with quote
perhaps by eating clean, exercising regularly..and other healthful habits we can overcome the added 'stress' caused by the ingredients in many (Most) commercial sunscreens...but why add the extra 'stress' to that we then need to compensate for.

imo i would take seriously any nint of a cancer causing substance..the statistics(although we may want to hide our headS in the sand about this is that (at least in the USA) 1 out of approximately 2&1/2 people will develope cancer in their lifetime.

there are certain we can't do much about...environmental pollution, etc.....but what we put in our system through the ingredients in our sunscreens, we can.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 9:28 am      Reply with quote
sorry for all the typos in my post..shoould have taken the time to proof it.....

anyway imo it's a serious issue..and one i wish all would take into consideration (especially young women)

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 9:33 am      Reply with quote
Yeah... at least Many cancers can be cured...

But skin cancer often kills, and jeez... who wants to manage it ON YOUR FACE with the regular removals... with an eventual pile of scars.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 9:39 am      Reply with quote
by the way they still spray malathion for mosquitos in the Myrtle Beach area (once..sometimes twice..a week in the summer)...we are thinking of relocating to the area as it's near a spiritual center we are deeply involved with.

Fawnster

Tue May 25, 2010 11:45 am      Reply with quote
The FDA may not be perfect but I would rather live in a country where this is regulated strcitly than in one that it is not or nonexistant.

Personally I don't use commercial sunscreen at all.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Stardustdy wrote:

All citrus are and that includes Bergamot, those are the ones that I know off the top of my head, but I will pull out one of my books and post a list later on. Smile

DarkMoon, thanks for posting the list! Smile BTW, I meant Cistus oil, not citrus. I seen a natural sunscreen with Cistus oil in it so not sure if it's safe or not? Confused
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
Cistus EO is also known as Rock Rose and as far as my resources it's not photosensitive. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
This is not meant to be an all inclusive list but the most common essential oils that are photosensitive/phototoxic. Please add any others you know of and I will as I find any others. Smile

Bergamot
Blood Orange
Lime
Lemon
Mandarin
Orange
Tangerine

For the most part it's the citrus family that can cause issues with sun exposure.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Doesn't Lavender Oil make one photosensitive?? I think I remember reading that it does but I'm not one hundred per cent sure.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
leeleedeedee wrote:
Doesn't Lavender Oil make one photosensitive?? I think I remember reading that it does but I'm not one hundred per cent sure.

leeleedeedee,

I haven't come across Lavender as photosensitive yet but there are many sources, here are some to add to the list. Smile

http://aromatherapy.suite101.com/article.cfm/photo_toxic_essential_oils

Angelica Root, Seed (angelica archangelica)
Caraway (carum carvi) – low level
Cassia (cinnamomum cassia) – low level
Cumin (cuminum cyminum)
Ginger (zingiber officinale) – low level
Lemon (citrus limon)
Lemon Verbena (aloysia triphylla) -low level
Lime (citrus aurantifolia)
Lovage (levisticum officinale)
Melissa (melissa officinalis) – low level

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 26, 2010 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the list, Dark Moon. It's very interesting. I didn't know many of these essential oils caused photosensitivity. I knew there were some, however there are many on the list that I wasn't aware of.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 26, 2010 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon, that's so~ nice of you to post the list and clarify that cistus is not photosensitive! I'm relieved now Smile

BTW, if I use a face cream that contains Vit A or Retinyl Palmitate, is it safe? Or I should only avoid sunscreens that contain those ingredients? Thanks! Very Happy
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 26, 2010 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
DarkMoon, that's so~ nice of you to post the list and clarify that cistus is not photosensitive! I'm relieved now Smile

BTW, if I use a face cream that contains Vit A or Retinyl Palmitate, is it safe? Or I should only avoid sunscreens that contain those ingredients? Thanks! Very Happy

Glad the list helps. Smile I am not an expert on retinyl or retin A as a matter of fact I just went from one OTC (Roc) to the Green Cream 9 stronger retinyl from EDS as a step up before starting Retin A, but most use them in the evening due to increased sensitivity to the sun. I have seen products that contain it for day use but wonder how effective it is or is it just a marketing tool in small concentration. Personally I avoid anything photosensitive in the am plus I am in Florida so strong sun year round. Smile

Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |