Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Need review and recommendations on skincare routine please
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Dummie
5% products discount

Thu May 27, 2010 7:58 am      Reply with quote
Skin tone = grey and dull
Skin type = normal cheeks with an oily forehead, nose and chin
Pores = some big ones on and around the nose and in between the eyebrows
Acne = tend to get a few every month. Mostly on the chin
Cheeks = quite a few age spots and freckles and old acne scars
Nose = some large pores, blackheads, scars from squeezing blemishes
Eyes = dark cycles, puffy bags & deep wrinkles when I smile (basically the works)
Chin = slightly red, old acne scars and I can feel bumps under the skin

At the moment I'm using

AM = Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser, Laneige skin refiner, L'Oreal Revitalift Eye Cream, Lancome Blanc Expert Lotion and Sheseido SPF 50

PM = Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser, L'Oreal Revitalift Eye Cream, Laneige Skin Refiner, Laneige Balancing Emulsion and Laneige Water Sleeping Pack

1x week = Laneige Strawberry Yogurt Peeling Gel and Laneige Pore Clear Wash Off Pack

Please be as critical as needed. I really do need to start doing something before it's too late!

Thanks by the bucket full!
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 27, 2010 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
I would add in Retin-A to use at night and a Vit.C serum under your moisturizer in the morning.

RA will help with large pores,acne & skin tone and in preventing lines and wrinkles.
Vit. C serum will improve your dull skintone and will help somewhat to fade agespots.
Both will help to build collagen.

Using the Obagi system is another way you could go in removing age spots and freckles.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 27, 2010 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
Try an LED face thingy to reverse sun damage. I use a really cheap one, the Pretika Light Sonic.

Along with the Retin-a you'll want to use a really good sunscreen:
http://www.skincarecentral.biz/sunscreens-about-.html
Dummie
5% products discount

Fri May 28, 2010 9:13 am      Reply with quote
I've just read a few post on Obagi and would be interested in trying it. However, instead of an intense few weeks, I would prefer to stretch it out so that the side effects are not too much to bear!

Is this possible? There is quite a few products available in the Obagi range and I gather it's not necessary to buy the complete range. I'm thinking the Nu-Derm Clear and Nu-Derm Exfoderm Forte. Will these 2 products help with the tone of my skin, the age spots and freckles and the pores?
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 28, 2010 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
I've never used Obagi but hopefully someone who has will answer your questions or try posting on the Obagi Nu-derm thread.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 29, 2010 4:41 am      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:
I've never used Obagi but hopefully someone who has will answer your questions or try posting on the Obagi Nu-derm thread.

Me either brierrose and hopefully someone who has will, but I think the HQ is a major part and you have to follow the whole regimen to get the benefits of Obagi? Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 29, 2010 6:56 am      Reply with quote
Dummie wrote:
I've just read a few post on Obagi and would be interested in trying it. However, instead of an intense few weeks, I would prefer to stretch it out so that the side effects are not too much to bear!

Is this possible? There is quite a few products available in the Obagi range and I gather it's not necessary to buy the complete range. I'm thinking the Nu-Derm Clear and Nu-Derm Exfoderm Forte. Will these 2 products help with the tone of my skin, the age spots and freckles and the pores?

You need all of the products in the Nu Derm line for it to work the best. It is 18 weeks normally, but you can go a very slow route and stretch that to 24 weeks if you use the Retin A/Blender every other day. I would suggest you research the line thoroughly, because if you don't use the correct amount of the products and if you don't use all of the products, you will be disappointed with your results.

You could just try a generic hydroquinone and any AHA if you want to try that first before getting in to Obagi.
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 29, 2010 7:46 am      Reply with quote
You didn't mention your age. Skincare needs change as you age and the type of products that you would use in your 20's may need to be adjusted in your 30's and again in your 40's and so on.

Not knowing what age group you are in I would recommend stepping up your exfoliation. Exfoliating is key to keeping your skin looking youthful. There are several products that I have found to be effective in this area:

AHA/BHA serum nightly
Clarisonic cleansing brush (also helps with clogged pores and reducing the look of large pores)
NCN's Pumpkin Peel - A great peel that really exfoliates well. I try and use it once a week.

Vitamin C serum in the morning is essential.
Retin A and/or Copper Peptides are both excellent anti-aging products. Most everyone agrees with Retin A use but Copper Peptides are
much more of a source of debate as some people have had excellent results with them while others have had no results or negative results. I am one of the people that has been using them for several years with great results but I cannot promise you the same results as it appears to be very individual.

Years ago I used the Obagi Nu-Derm program. It definitely works but the process was too much for me. My skin peeled non-stop and it was so difficult to deal with. Make-up made the peeling look even worse - needless to say I had to give up on Nu-Derm it just was not worth it in my case. I do use Retin A (very lightly)and have no problems incorporating that into my skincare program without the negative dry peeling skin.

5% products discount

Sat May 29, 2010 8:18 am      Reply with quote
I'm 34yrs. I think my existing routine is probably more suited for someone much younger. But 1yr ago my skin was really dehydrated. It was so bad that it wouldn't absorb anything I put on it. Most creams just rubbed off. I then started using hydrating stuff, and now at least it's not so dehydrated and it seems to absorb stuff I put on it.

Is AHA the same as Retin A?

I went out and brought the Obagi Clear and Exfoderm Forte today. I don't want the whole peeling thing even if it means near perfect skin afterwards. I think I'll be happy just to improve my skin tone, pores around my nose and my under eye area.

Do you think the 2 Obagi items I brought are suitable for this? Do I still need the Retin A seeing as I've brought the Exfoderm (which has AHA in I think)?

Also, I'm not the owner of a credit card so I can't buy anthing online. What kind of creams have Retin A in that can be shop brought?

Thank you ladies.
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 29, 2010 11:18 am      Reply with quote
AHA is good for:

Hyperkeratinization (increased accumulation of keratin and cell) extreme cases of hyperkeratinization such as Seborrheic dermatitis (Seborrhea skin conditions which is excess flaking, itching, scaling and redness afflicting either scalp or face due to an increase of the rate of production of skin cells which buildup on the skin.

Hyperpigmentation (brown spots, discoloration), dry sun damaged skins

Xerosis (so-called "dry", rough, uneven skin, calloused skin)

Wrinkles and fine lines

Comedonal, Whiteheads and blemished skins

Keratosis pilaris (are numerous tiny rough spots sometimes red and itchy usually on the arms but may appear on the thighs, hands, eyebrows, cheeks or any other part of the body caused by accumulation of old skin cells, this occurs mostly in the winter months when skin is more prone to drynes and low humidity or after the summer months due to sun exposure.....(causing calloused skin)

AHA has the following effects on the skin:

Refine the corneal layer by exfoliating accumulation of dead skin cells

Accelerate cellular renewal

Moisturize by stimulating the skin to produce hyaluronic acid, known for it's highly moisturizing effect on the skin but to be effective the concentration should be 2% and up.

Reduce brown spots

Even out and Brighten the complexion

Make wrinkles less visible

Alpha-hydroxy acids (AHA) are naturally occurring acids, derived from the sugars.. Some examples are:

Glycolic Acid (Sugar Cane), Lactic Acid (Milk), Tartaric Acid (Grapes), Citric Acid (Citrus Fruits), Malic Acid (Apples), and Mandelic Acid (Bitter Almonds).

These acids work at the very base of the stratum corneum, dissolving the cement that holds dead skin cells together to remove dead cells from the skin, removal of this external barrier enables easier, deeper penetration of other skin treatments as well clears oiliness and impurities, increases skin hydration due to the natural moisturizing properties of AHAs and rejuvenates the skin.This increases cell turnover and influences the structure of new stratum corneum being made. AHA has the potential to help bleach unwanted skin discoloration. This results in skin that is more flexible,even in color, more smooth, and more moisturized, making fine lines less visible while delaying the aging process. Finally, they not only stimulate collagen production, but help plump up collagen and elastin fibers within the skin. It is the basis of many acne therapy and skin rejuvenation!

Excellent exfoliating product! For all skin types except reactive/sensitive skins and any age (teenagers to seniors)! IF YOUR SKIN IS TOO SENSITIVE FOR AHA YOU WILL KNOW CAUSE IT WILL FEEL IRRITATED AND RED.

An effective concentration should contain at least 7-8% alpha hydroxy acid with a pH between 2.5 and 4.0. A pH of up to 4.5 is acceptable on products with high concentrations of 20-25%. Products for use at home should never contain over 10 % alpha hydroxy acid, anything over 10-15% a doctor's or professional supervision is required. Alpha hydroxy acids do not thin the skin if used correctly!

Remember one should always wear a sunscreen if one is using alpha hydroxy acids products and going in the sun (which is not recommended because of possible sensitivities, this also includes the cold and wind, the reason why it is recommend to use AHA creams at night to prevent any possible reaction/sensitivities to any harsh environment ) In the summer one should always use suncblock if they will be outside.

For some it is best at the beginning to use the aha cream every second night and work up gradually to every night. Or you may wish to use the product every other night throughout the treatment and alternate with another cream if your skin feels sensitive...

While using AHA creams it is normal to have some flaking occuring this is just the dead skin cells being shed off! Also during the first few weeks some people may experience some breakouts that is normal too due to the product eliminating impurities from the pores and a sensation of warmth and light tingling may occur.

If you wish you can apply a moisturizer (optional) on top of the AHA over dry areas or use it alone! Also the need to exfoliate the skin once a week is not necessary when using aha products.

Exfoderm contains phytic acid and is more gentle than Alpha Hydroxy Acids.

Exfoderm Forte contains both glycolic and lactic acids which are AHA's. Forte is better suited for thick, oily skin. Forte also helps promote peeling.

Clear contains 4% hydroquinone. This is not a skin bleacher or fader but it is a Melanin Blocker. This is an excellent product for treating age spots, freckles, and uneven skintone.

5% products discount

Sat May 29, 2010 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
WOW Fairlady thank you so much. I think I will need to read through the post a few more times to take it all in but that's a lot of excellent information there. Thank you!
alexes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 30, 2010 2:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi Dummie
I take Vit A and Omega 369 and it has helped my skin so much. The lines around my eyes are almost gone, and the skin is plumper. I found that adding zinc to my diet helped to stop my hormone related break-outs, and the vitamins are all really cheap! I have heard that the Eye Illuminator from EES is great for dark circles, but I haven't used it - I use the tuck for bags and love it.
Hope this helps!
Goddess

Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
I am a 49 year old brown color newbie on this forum - I signed up a few minutes ago. Excited!

My problem is that I have dark feet and knuckles. I have tried quite a few over-the- counter creams and lotions to get rid of this problem with no success. Not sure if I can name the products here.

Has anyone had this problem and successfully cleared the dark areas? Am open to suggestions from any anyone. Anyone...?
lvnatural

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
I second the advice on zinc! It is great for reducing your over oiliness which along with retin A will make your pores look smaller. Also it sounds like you suffer from comedonal acne (little bumps) so the Retin A will help with that as well as AHAs such as glycolic acid.

On another note, it could be worthwhile to look into sources that are rich in gamma linolenic acid such as EPO which makes your sebum thinner and prevents pores from clogging up. This had definitely worked for me.

Good luck! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:57 pm      Reply with quote
you can try Probio - vitamin B3 lotion-light, it contains a high grading B3 %

Vitamin B3 Serum is indicated for a broad range of skin concerns such as dehydration, acne, redness, pigmentation and dull, lifeless skin.

it will help ur dull and grey look
havana8

Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:27 am      Reply with quote
Goddess wrote:
I am a 49 year old brown color newbie on this forum - I signed up a few minutes ago. Excited!

My problem is that I have dark feet and knuckles. I have tried quite a few over-the- counter creams and lotions to get rid of this problem with no success. Not sure if I can name the products here.

Has anyone had this problem and successfully cleared the dark areas? Am open to suggestions from any anyone. Anyone...?

Welcome to the forum, Goddess. wave Name away! It will probably help people when making suggestions.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |