Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Post-acne discoloration
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Guppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 29, 2010 11:09 pm      Reply with quote
I broke out a few weeks ago terribly on my forehead. I am not sure what it was from but glad to say that it is resolving. Nothing like this had ever happened before. Now, as the acne is leaving or has left, I’m seeing discoloration that was not there. Slightly reddish to light brown spots are inherently present where before there was clear skin.

What is the best way to get rid of these discolorations? I read that exfoliation is the way to go. Since I also still get a pimple frequently, is exfoliating still a good idea?

Does retin-a micro help with healing these discolorations? Lately, at night, I have been washing using MD Forte cleanser type 1 and, after half hour, applying retin-a micro for the acne.

I also have the IFP pretty AHA+BHA combo liquid and the alpha hydroxy AHA cream. Should I be using these with the retin-a micro or no? And, if so, in what order will these go?

Thanks!
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 30, 2010 6:27 am      Reply with quote
AHA will definitely help. I would only use 1 AHA product not both that you mentioned. Use AHA in the morning, assuming you us RAM at night. Also you will probably want to start off using every other day since it can irritation. Particularity if you choose to use with the IPF AHA/BHA combo because it has a high alcohol content.
alexes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 30, 2010 7:43 am      Reply with quote
I have heard that exfoliation is a good idea - but only lightly and once a week. Otherwise you could aggravate the sensitive area. It might be best to use a natural method to exfoliate, just so you don't have a reaction. Maybe even just a wash cloth? I have used crushed up oatmeal and brown sugar, and found it worked very well and didn't exacerbate the situation. I know, it sounds like breakfast, but it really works!
Guppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
Are there any other products that I should look into for an even skin tone?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
You don't want to over do it. I'd stick with just AHA for now.
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
Many times brownish spots appear after acne or other inflammatory processes and that's usually called "postinflammatory hyperpigmentation".

So while you do want to do stuff to get rid of the pitgmentation, you don't want to over-do anything because you risk causing inflammation.

Before anything, you need to come to terms with the fact that your skin will probably take months to look like it did before (unless you choose to laser the pigmentation). Harsh treatments will not "speed up" the process and may even be worse for your skin.

The current standard of care includes:

a. Exfoliation (e.g. AHAs)
b. Tretinoin (e.g. Retin-A)
c. Bleaching agent (e.g. HQ)

You lightly exfoliate in the morning, you apply Retin-A at night. If you use a bleaching agent, you can use it twice or once per day.

You might also want to try Triluma which is a combination of tretinoin, HQ, and cortisone for some weeks.

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
Guppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:50 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for the info!

My only quibble is that I do not have time to apply the IFP combo in the morning!

I usually wash my face and, then after a few minutes, apply skinceuticals ce ferulic. A few minutes later I slap on the spf moisturizer combo and call it a day.

I read on the IFP website that you should wait 30mins after applying IFP combo before following with anything else - I do not have that time in the AM...

Instead, would it be okay to wash face in the PM, then apply the IFP combo and wait. THEN follow with RAM. This is ok or is it too much all at once?
fongflyer5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:59 am      Reply with quote
Follow Jossee's advice, I followed the same routine. AHA in the am, followed by HQ, then in the PM retin A followed by HQ again. I had one break out on my cheek which left a PIH mark. It has only just faded after 5 months!

Initially, I thought the more products I used, the quicker it would fade, it didn't. In fact, at times it made it appear worst and I was back to square one again. It's extremely frustrating so I know how you feel, I was just starting to give up and think it would never disappear, but with time and following that routine it has faded but it took a lot longer than I expected.
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:22 am      Reply with quote
Guppy wrote:

Instead, would it be okay to wash face in the PM, then apply the IFP combo and wait. THEN follow with RAM. This is ok or is it too much all at once?

You really don't want to apply AHA/BHA and then RAM.... that would be way too much.

The thing with "waiting" is that you want to let the glycolic acid do its work without neutralizing it.

Even if you wait less though you'll still be able to reap the benefits of some exfoliation which is fine. What you can do is just apply the IFP wait till it dries and then apply your sunscreen. And if you want extra exfoliation (and you feel your skin needs it), you can do the waiting during the weekend or combine the glycolic with some mechanical exfoliation (though remember mechanical exfoliation can be more irritating).

Just waiting till it dries every day will get you enough daily exfoliation for your hyperpigmentation.

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
Guppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:35 am      Reply with quote
So where does the vit c fit in the morning routine? What would the order of application be?
Wash, IFP combo, vit c, moisturize? Should I also wait after applying vit c?

Also, what is a good HQ product?

Thanks for the great info!
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:44 am      Reply with quote
Guppy wrote:
So where does the vit c fit in the morning routine? What would the order of application be?
Wash, IFP combo, vit c, moisturize? Should I also wait after applying vit c?

Also, what is a good HQ product?

Thanks for the great info!

Vitamin C should be after you cleanser and toner. You should wait a least a few minutes after applying C before moving on to the next step.

Obagi Clear is a good HQ product.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:37 am      Reply with quote
Ya,
I get those annoying marks.
For me a 10% vitamin C seems to help, but I find that kind of drying a bit..so only use a few times a week.

For me the only thing that has helped quickly was Badescu whitening mask.

I had a few marks on one cheek and after 2 or 3 uses there is only 1 tiny mark left Smile
this took a few weeks for me.

the mask contains Kojic acid, liquirice for whitening.

I know EDs has some stuff with kojic acid, but not too sure what..as I'd like to get a cream with that soon!

I also just got a sample of a brand called Nucelle 10% mandelic serum and have been using this a week mornings and it seems to help with blemishes so far.

Apparently the ingredients in Nucelle are antibacterial too.
I just have the 15ml of Nucelle serum and it seems fine for my sensitive skin so far.
The 15ml nucelle serum and a 15ml cleanser are $20 online at some stores.
Guppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Just to clarify the order of the products:

AM: wash/cleanse, IFP bha+aha, vit c, sunscreen + moisturizer

PM: wash/cleanse, RAM, hq product

Looks to be in order for both times?

Also, can hq product be used daily twice or would that be too much?

And can the obagi hq product cause acne by any chance?
jumbosstar42
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:21 am      Reply with quote
i always have this problem... making my skin look quite 'awful' because of the discoloration. now and then (when i don't feel lazy) i will use Mederma gel to apply on those spots. It's a scar gel that helps to make your old skin peel off. It helped a few of my discoloration spots already.

You just need to be a bit more hardworking and it will pay off. Try it... you can probably get it from a drug store/pharmacy. It's a scar removal gel. But it's a slow process... maybe in a few weeks. You'll see the skin peel in maybe a week or less if you use it consistently twice a day.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:21 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |