Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
HELP... For how long the "ugglies" last with Retin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ella-stella
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
I am using Retin A (first 0.05% every other night, now starting 0.1%). I started this current course 1.5 month ago.

Actually, before I started present course, I "preped" my skin with other milder Retinol complexes and AHA/BHA Complex...

I want my skin to be clear from pimples, blackheads, and have minimized pores.

BUT, my skin is worse than possible when I am using either AHA/BHA complex or any RetinA!!!

I now get either or (or all together) pimples, inflammations, cystic acne, pilling skin now and then EVERY morning while I am using this stuff.

Should I still hold on for my hope to clear my skin with Retin A?

Please, help me with all your wise thoughts... especially those who went through similar experience.

When should I expect to get better from Retin A ugglies? Will I ever get better? Will my breakouts just stop or should I stop using it to stop breakouts???
ella-stella
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:18 am      Reply with quote
I didn't get replies at all...

HELP!!! PLEASE share your experience with Retin A...
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:01 am      Reply with quote
Are you under the guidance of a dermatologist? Why are you starting to use 0.1% if your skin isn't tollerating 0.05%?

Personally, I'm very skeptical of the so called "uglies" when using Retin-A. Your skin may take some time to adapt to it, and you may find some peeling or redness at first - but it should eventually adjust. But if your skin is really reacting in a negative way - I would just STOP using it. If your skin is red, irritated, breaking out and sore, this is really a sign that it is unhappy with what you are doing.

There is no point is persevering with something if your skin is telling you it hates it. Please let me know if you are seeing a dermatologist or if you are just doing your own thing.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
I am not seeing a derm right now. I went to a derm 2 year ago, at that time he prescribed me the Retin A first time, but the reaction was REALLY bad, something like you described. So he switched me to Clindets.

I hear and read everywhere that Retin A is the way to go if I want to clear my skin. I am going to 0.1% because it was my plan all along, to gradually to come to this strength, again I hear and read everywhere that this is recommended.

Two days ago I was also at a cosmetic clinic and a skin consultant there mentioned that I might need a stronger % eventually to clear the skin.

I read in the gel description that it should be expected for some time in the beginning that the skin would react with more pimples.

I must say that even though it is enjoying to wake up and see that my skin produced something new again, it is not quite as you probably imagined. I do not have red or irritated or heavily flacking skin (as I had when I first tried Retin A). Mostly the skin texture is improving. But the pimples come out again and again. For example, one mornings it is one on my chin and maybe 2 little ones on my forehead, then while these are healing, one more comes out on my chick and couple on my neck, then they are healing and a little flakes form and pill around them (not big areas of pilling though) and so on. Healing and breaking out in a new place again... As if it pulls bad stuff from inside out, but does it stop?...

The rest of the skin on the face and neck looks and feels wonderful in between those pimples though...
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
I have read that 0.05% can be just as effective as 0.1% long term - but I'm not enough of an authority to know whether this is correct or not. Personally, I find the gel preparations much stronger than the cream ones. I've never had any irritation from Retin-A, but my skin does peel allot and become a little red from the 0.1% gel. So what I do is alternate, some nights I use 0.25% and maybe two or three nights a week I use 0.1%. Or sometimes I'll just put the 0.1% on my forehead where I get blocked pores and use the 0.25% on my face.

If your skin is not sore and irritated, then I would persevere - maybe you could spot treat with the 0.1%.

As for the pimples - what cleanser are you using? I use the Oil Cleansing Method and never get breakouts anymore. After cleansing with the oil, I wipe my face with 50/50 Apple Cider Vinegar and Water - this restores the pH of your skin and kills any bacteria. HTH.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
Just one more thought - high frequency treatments from a DermaWand or Violet Ray Wand are great for zapping away pimples.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
ella-stella, I noticed in your signature you have "faithful to Tanaka massage". I know there was 1 person who had breakouts from doing that massage. Just something to think about, as it sounds like you have been on Retin A for a little while now. Has your skin always been getting new breakouts since being on Retin A?
ella-stella
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:52 am      Reply with quote
Sorry, didn't update the signature. I still like exercises and Tanaka massage, but temporary stopped for a little while, because I've recently had fillers injected in my jaw line and chicks for volume, so I do not want to dissolve the filler quickly.

By the way I didn't have breakouts while I was doing Tanaka massage with Emu oil as a base.

I haven't been on Retin A continuously. I tried it for about a month 2 years ago (prescription), it was too much for my skin.

Then last fall, for about 2 months, I tried SkinMedica Retinol complex (I think it is not that strong, it is not Retin A, but Retinol). I had increased breakouts that time too. Then I stopped, and I didn't have breakouts more than usual. But the thing is I do not want to have any breakouts or blackheads or enlarged pores.

Since I started hanging around the eds forum and making all kinds of efforts, my skin has transformed already significantly in many ways, but at this point I think the biggest issue remaining is the my pores.

So if there is a suggestion to stop Retin A, which I hear is the key to solving such problem for many, then what else can I do for my skin to get the desired result of clear skin and even tone?

The goal is:
no blemishes
no blackheads,
no blocked pores (and consequently no acne)
and ultimately minimized appearance of pores.

By the way I have just purchased Clarasonic too, and have been using it for a week. Love it, but the pimples still come out so far. Rolling Eyes
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:20 am      Reply with quote
So, just to be absolutely clear about this - you're using a Retinol product and not Retin-A? Or have you stopped using the Retinol and are now using Retin-A?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:43 am      Reply with quote
I used Retinol last fall.

Now I've been using Retin A

for 1.5 month till 2 days ago - it was 0.05% gel (but looked like white cream), finished the tube. (I use it on the neck and chest and shoulders too, this is why it is gone so fast.)

Since 2 days ago - it is 0.1% gel (absolutely different gel by its texture, looks like clear yellowish gel, feels different when applied).

By the way, so far last morning and today, I didn't have any new significant pimples (just couple of small ones scattered on the forehead).

Sorry for all the details, I really appreciate your generous attention and shared experiences...
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:25 am      Reply with quote
ella-stella, where did you get your Retin A gel? Some places have different "bases" in their retinoids and it just may be something as simple as the base is causing your breakouts. The only other thing I can think to use for breakouts is a BHA. Have you tried that?
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
hello, I used it for 10+ years (0.05%) still have the uglies, I have decided to stop it forever.
ella-stella
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:54 am      Reply with quote
Retin A 0.05%
https://www.reliablerxpharmacy.com/A_Ret_0.05-0-1-16189.html

This is the gel I used for 1.5 month before I switched to

Retin A 0.1% gel
https://www.reliablerxpharmacy.com/A_Ret_0.1-0-1-16190.html

I got the recommendation to buy from this source from some of our members here. This pharmacy delivers to Canada.
ella-stella
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:01 am      Reply with quote
I must note that this is the 3d day since I switched to 0.1% gel and I haven't had new pimples as of yet. The previous breakouts are healing nicely too.

Yahoo! Perhaps it was a wrong % or some of the other components in the gel (that looked like cream actually).

I have a very thin upper layer of skin pilling a little all over the face now. But so far it doesn't leave any red or pink skin when it comes off.

But what is a normal immediate skin reaction do you usually see when using Retin A? Like when you applied it at night and wake up in the morning, looking at the mirror...
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:09 am      Reply with quote
ella-stella wrote:
But what is a normal immediate skin reaction do you usually see when using Retin A? Like when you applied it at night and wake up in the morning, looking at the mirror...

The 0.1% gel you are using is the same one I have. You shouldn't see any immediate reaction, but your skin might start to peel. If you use it every night your skin might also become a bit stingy and pink. This "dryer" type gel might be more suited to your skin - but if it gets too dry or your skin doesn't feel right - just cut back on usage.

What moisturiser are you using after the Retin-A?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:21 am      Reply with quote
It might also be that the gel is too strong for your skin type. I know most people can't tolerate 0.5% gel, let alone 0.1% gel, but with those issues your experiencing, I'm wondering whether there's something thats iritating your skin moreso. I've tried the gel several times and always get burned and bad results, but with the cream I get no such thing. The exception is the microgel I use, but I might add that I stuck to 0.25 and 0.5 cream for several years before I moved onto that and was working under a derm. So I wouldn't necessarily move up in strengths until your skin has adapted to 0.5%

You might also want to consider not doing so much with your skin, as it might be stressing your skin out. I can't use the clarisonic every day, I use it once, maybe twice a week.

Also even with the acne treatments Retin A was designed for, in studies, they were all done long term meaning a year and above, so your goign to either have to stick through it, or move on to something more acceptible for your skin, but I'm guessing it might just be the gel is unsuitable for you (welcome to the club!).
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:30 am      Reply with quote
ella-stella wrote:
......I got the recommendation to buy from this source from some of our members here. This pharmacy delivers to Canada.

Hi Ella-Stella,

Is the freight charge same as ADC: USD 25 per order?
ella-stella
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:48 am      Reply with quote
My oder was for 20.37 USD plus 19.90 for shipping.

Does ADC deliver to Canada too? I hear they don't because of the customs...
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:20 am      Reply with quote
Hi Ella-Stella,

Thx for your your postage info; sorry that I don't know if ADC ships to Canada.
ella-stella
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
I need to apologize to those of you who scrunch from my bad spelling of some of the words from time to time.

I hope you got what I meant anyway Smile

English is my 3d language (actually the 4th, but the 3d one kinda fell out of use), so seems like my memory is letting me down, but no excuses, I will be trying and trying my best.

Thanks for your support !
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
ella-stella wrote:
I need to apologize to those of you who scrunch from my bad spelling of some of the words from time to time.

I hope you got what I meant anyway Smile

English is my 3d language (actually the 4th, but the 3d one kinda fell out of use), so seems like my memory is letting me down, but no excuses, I will be trying and trying my best.

Thanks for your support !

Most of us who have English as their first language can't spell! You have nothing to apologise for - I wish I could speak four languages!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:58 am      Reply with quote
So far, for the last few days, I am very happy with the results of switching to RetinA gel 0.01%. No new pimples, skin is good.

I still have to clear a lot of black heads, but as you mentioned here and I hear that a lot that a real benefit in that sense comes from 1 year + of Retin A continuing use. With this nice looking skin, I can do that... If everything goes this well, I will be very happy when I see the full benefit in one year. Yahoo!!!

Oh, I am hoping soooo MUCH, I need it so much...it would be so good to see something really working on my skin...
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:57 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |