Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Embracing my gray hair
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:49 am      Reply with quote
Since I don't seem to be able to completely stop what seems to be a sudden onslaught of gray hair, I've decided to embrace it. I'd love to hear from anyone who has also embraced their gray hair as to how you keep it from looking yellow and how you keep the gray frizzies from sticking up all over your head. I'd especially be interested in any advice from graying redheads.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:57 am      Reply with quote
Here's a lovely site with lots of great photos.

http://goinggraylookinggreat.com/

Gentian Violet is the way to go to keep the yellow at bay, but, BEWARE, a little goes an awful long way!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:59 am      Reply with quote
I would not mind gray hair at all if mine looked anything like those pictures. Mine grows in very streaky looking.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:02 am      Reply with quote
I think it can be very attractive on some women and there are shampoos and rinses made to keep the yellow away that keeps it looking pretty. Me I don't foresee allowing my white hair out as I just do not have the complexion for light colored hair! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:41 am      Reply with quote
I think it would be great to save money on the hair dying, which gets very old. I wish my gray would grow in like those pictures, but I don't have complete gray coverage (yet!!)
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:53 am      Reply with quote
HippoMe wrote:

Gentian Violet is the way to go to keep the yellow at bay, but, BEWARE, a little goes an awful long way!

It also stains anything it gets on permanently they used it on my firsts belly button in the hospital and it stained her T-shirts, bleach didn't get it out! Be very careful! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:57 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
I think it would be great to save money on the hair dying, which gets very old. I wish my gray would grow in like those pictures, but I don't have complete gray coverage (yet!!)

I am not at 100% either and mine is bright snow white and very dark brown...yuck! Bad Grin

I have just for grins tried on friends blond wigs and look like a corpse with light hair so even when it's all white I just think no no no! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:13 am      Reply with quote
HippoMe wrote:

That's a great site, HippoMe. They actually have a section on blue shampoos which work to get rid of the yellow.

I didn't see any pictures of a redhead going gray, but I haven't looked through all of them yet. My sister told me that my gray looks blonde in my hair but I think it just makes my red hair look faded. I don't like that look at all. I'm with you, Riley, on the growing out phase. Maybe once I get past that, I'll be happier.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:22 am      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
My sister told me that my gray looks blonde in my hair but I think it just makes my red hair look faded. I don't like that look at all. I'm with you, Riley, on the growing out phase. Maybe once I get past that, I'll be happier.

OMG. Every picture I have seen of you Skippie I have thought you had blonde hair! I never realized it was red. I thought your hair color looked great and I didn't see any gray!! I have tried so many times to just stop coloring, but once I hit the 3 month mark and look so horrible, I just immediately make an appointment to get it colored. Let me know if you get past the grow out phase!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:42 am      Reply with quote
Skippie,

I thought the same thing as Riley that you had blond hair in all your pictures not grey and not red. It seems at least from your photos it would grow out fairly easily, of course that's from another's point of view not yours. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:05 am      Reply with quote
Well, it is a kind of strawberry blond red, DM and Riley, so maybe that's why it looks blonder in pictures.

Here's an interesting article I just ran across that talks about what kind of traits you have depending on your hair color.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37341535/ns/health-skin_and_beauty/

It says blondes have a higher risk of developing age-related macular degeneration and melanoma; brunettes have less hair and a greater chance of developing a dependency on nicotine; and redheads are more resistant to general and local anesthetics and have an almost 90 percent greater chance of developing Parkinson's disease.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:37 am      Reply with quote
Very interesting Skippie, I learned about different colored hair having more hair genetically back in school, but everything else is news to me. Quite informative. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:01 am      Reply with quote
And after reading that article, DM, I'm not sure whether I'd rather be a blond or a redhead. Confused Shock Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:05 am      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
brunettes have less hair and a greater chance of developing a dependency on nicotine

Well, there you go. I fit that perfectly. Laughing
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:25 am      Reply with quote
I don't know if you read the complete article, Riley, but I skipped over the sexy parts. It also said men prefer brunettes as serious mates.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:43 am      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
And after reading that article, DM, I'm not sure whether I'd rather be a blond or a redhead. Confused Shock Sad

Sounds as though no body's safe really? I just don't know we are what we are....all going grey! LOL

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Me I don't foresee allowing my white hair out as I just do not have the complexion for light colored hair! Laughing

DM, what do you use to colour your hair? Do you have long hair?
I too have dark chocolate brown hair and I have whites growing at my temples. At the moment you can't see them unless I tie my hair back, but they are slowly creeping up to my parting.
As I have long hair, I don't want to ruin the condition. I've dabbled abit with Spiritual Sky Henna for brown/black hair (I mixed them together). So hard to know what to do, when you love your natural colour but don't suit white hair.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:31 am      Reply with quote
Hi Miranda,

I do at times use herbatint or naturtint, health food store brands healthier for body and hair. I really play with my color quite a bit from the beauty supply I buy wella color charm in tube form (lasts better no air gets in) Loreal Professional I think makes Mega Reds. What ever brand I use I use a deep auburn color I have a lot of auburn highlights on what's left of my natural color.
My most important "tricks" on my roots I leave color on 40-45 minutes and only drag color down for about 5-6 inches the last 5 minutes to blend. It prevents too much color build up on the ends and keeps a multi-dimensional color instead of that "flat one tone look". I also use Jazzing either in a auburn or clear color over my hair with a heat cap as it coats/protects and adds shine. And I deep condition at least weekly. My length is a good 8-9 inches past shoulder length now, I do cut just below shoulder when the mood strikes and let it grow longer at times depends on my mood. I don't know how much help this all is I am a bit of a mad scientist when it comes to coloring, but manage to keep it in very good condition. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:20 am      Reply with quote
So, I just read about a new coffee shampoo that supposedly helps get rid of the brassiness in gray hair. And I wondered why I couldn't just pour a pot of coffee on my hair. Has anyone ever tried a coffee rinse?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
sorry but grey=old. Its the ONE thing a woman can do to look years younger. Its inexpensive if you do it yourself and you will feel better because you will look younger. The trick is to pick a color to make you look younger,not older, if you go too dark you will still look old.I think sometimes a man can look attractive with grey hair but never for a woman. Confused
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
Dang... I've been going gray since age 16. It's a total PITA!

I'm about 80% and it washes me out big time...

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:

That's exactly why I absolutely refuse! LOL Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:

Claudia - I am going to bet YOU still look fabulous. I had a friend I worked with in Manhattan who went gray at a young age and she looked phenomenol - She was in her 20's at the time with a beautiful thick head of gray. She worked it and made it her style of chic.
In general agree with LucyLuc - - many/most cannot pull it off. Coloring hair is like bleaching teeth - cheap to do with good youthful payoff.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
ClaudiaFE wrote:

Claudia - I am going to bet YOU still look fabulous. I had a friend I worked with in Manhattan who went gray at a young age and she looked phenomenol - She was in her 20's at the time with a beautiful thick head of gray. She worked it and made it her style of chic.
In general agree with LucyLuc - - many/most cannot pull it off. Coloring hair is like bleaching teeth - cheap to do with good youthful payoff.

LOL... Such faith! Right now, I'm battling how fast my hair grows. If I don't color every 8 or 9 days, (which I don't, who has that kind of time?) I end up with a gray halo.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:02 am      Reply with quote
I just touch up the sides of my face and part every 5 days....one bottle of dye will last me half dozen touchups. Then once every 6 weeks I dye all of my hair. I cannot stand it when women wait 2 months to dye their grey roots...it just brings more attention to their grey hair and the first thing I think of when I see that big white line on their head is"man its time to touchup your hair"
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:23 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |